Peaches Geldof #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The legacy of generational trauma in the Geldof family is just immense. I feel like Peaches was a victim of all of that, she never really got away from the unresolved pain of her past. She just acted out using sex, fame, drugs right to the end, like mother like daughter. You look at Paula's life and how she used her sexuality / the limelight / relationships with precarious men like it was some sort of lifeline and forgot entirely about her adult responsibilities and there was clearly so much trauma there, and she just passed that on. It's so sad.

Sounds a bit bizarre I admit, but makes me really grateful to have done a lot of therapy myself, because the self awareness you get of how you can use these external things - relationships, sex, success - to be "ok", instead of understanding yourself and learning how to support yourself, can be life changing.

I hope Peaches' kids and the other Geldof siblings are more content and peaceful within themselves.
Really relate to this. It’s such a sad case. I had a lot of trauma with losing a parent young then my other parent becoming very mentally unwell and an alcoholic but we had money so outwardly it looked “ok” so nobody helped. It’s only now I’m a mother I had therapy and realised how neglected I was from age 12 plus and how important it is to go back and work out those pieces before moving forward. She seemed like she really wanted to do better as well.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Just read through this thread and although it’s already been said I have to add; say what you want about Bob Geldof but he fought hard to take care of those girls the way they deserved to be looked after. I think he’s a pain in the backside but will always have a massive amount of respect for him for that.
He really wasn't that great a father by all accounts.

Reactions: 8
Paula had a really nice voice, listening to those interviews too. If drugs weren’t on the table, I wonder what she’d be up to now professionally.

Reactions: 19
He really wasn't that great a father by all accounts.
My dad wasn’t a great father... he didn’t have a role model and didn’t know how to be a dad. He made up for it as a grandfather.

i
Mentioned this on the Celebs thread but many years ago my dear old mom who is clueless, sat next to Bob on a long distance flight. She had no idea who he was, thought he was scruffy for Business class and my sister, who was sitting in Economy later told my mom who he was.
My mom said he was utterly charming, spoke about all his children fondly (sounded like a doting father) and even gave my mom some business contacts at her destination (which she used for many years).

my mother was shocked to learn after the flight he was Bob Geldof as he was nothing like she’d read or imagine.

• Heart
Reactions: 36
A father and a good father aren't the same thing. The girls were allowed to do whatever they wanted - that isn't really parenting (good or otherwise), is it?
I don't know.
IF they were allowed to do whatever they wanted, then maybe this was because he believed in personal freedom and didn't believe in rules? Maybe he had good intentions and didn't want to restrict them? I don't know him but he comes across as a bit of a free spirit so this might be possible.

But:
They had a stable place to live, good education, a stable family unit that was not torn apart or relocated frequently, consistent parent figures (Bob and Jeanne, who he was with since Paula left him - he didn't indulge in many affairs etc) and siblings.

And I feel this counts for something.

We didn't live with them so we can only speculate how his parenting was, what conversations they had etc.

Reactions: 23
I don't know.
IF they were allowed to do whatever they wanted, then maybe this was because he believed in personal freedom and didn't believe in rules? Maybe he had good intentions and didn't want to restrict them? I don't know him but he comes across as a bit of a free spirit so this might be possible.

But:
They had a stable place to live, good education, a stable family unit that was not torn apart or relocated frequently, consistent parent figures (Bob and Jeanne, who he was with since Paula left him - he didn't indulge in many affairs etc) and siblings.

And I feel this counts for something.

We didn't live with them so we can only speculate how his parenting was, what conversations they had etc.
Fifi said he wasn't great and I'll take her word for it. People have commented that he left the girls to their own devices in their own flat in central London. It's pretty obvious how things were going to go. Also, the 'boring' part of rearing children ie the nitty gritty was done by the nanny.

Reactions: 10
Fifi said he wasn't great and I'll take her word for it. People have commented that he left the girls to their own devices in their own flat in central London. It's pretty obvious how things were going to go. Also, the 'boring' part of rearing children ie the nitty gritty was done by the nanny.
When did she say this?
She was also not close to Paula, but chose to live with Bob.

He certainly wasn't flawless or perfect, but most parents are not perfect. Parenting is hard

I guess that most celebs have nannies and not all of them are bad parents. Or working parents also have nannies.

Reactions: 10
Prince Charles allegedly wasn’t a great father but stepped up when Princess Diana passed away. Maybe it was the same in the geldof household? unless we have actual experience we can’t comment.
What we do know is he didn’t want two of his three kids traipsing all over Australia with people very evidently on drugs. He also chose to give an orphaned child a home to keep the sisters together. Not many men would do that - let alone the child of a cuckold relationship

Reactions: 38

Apologies if this has been posted before! Just thought it's interesting to see the Tube interview to compare with the Big Breakfast one. Totally different circumstances so no chance of her straddling him across the bar but you can see she's flustered. She's interviewed big names and knew many celebrities personally, being flirtatious in interviews was her usp but MH clearly had a deeper effect on her.
It's so weird in this interview knowing Paula is gonna be the mother of his only child, she's gonna be the last relationship Michael will have and of course how doomed their future is together.
I kept thinking the fella in the pale blue with this back to MH was Bob Geldof! It isn’t but he looks a lot like him

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.