Peaches Geldof #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It's light years ago ma lovelie, probably well before your time. It was on Ely Place, and was the most wonderful hedonistic club, unusually for the time. It was predominantly gay but all were welcome, including straight females (me). It was constantly raided by the constabulary and when I say every taste was catered for, I mean it - Michael Hutchence would have been in his element!
Sounds way better than Coppers 🤣 there's nowhere like that left anymore - saying that I couldnt stay awake long enough to go to a nightclub now
when the Big Breakfast was on my social life revolved around Harcourt Street And Camden St - I still love a visit to Whelans if in Dublin

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
I watched the Big Breakfast interview on the day it aired back in the 90s and haven’t seen it since. So I just watched it now. And wow, totally uncomfortable viewing and clearly a lot going on behind the scenes with the two of them! It did strike me too that Michael seemed very shy and also very well spoken with barely a hint of Australian accent. Not sure why the accent thing surprised me but it did!
I highly recommend Mystify - the documentary about Michael Hutchence. There was a very strange split up in his family where his mam took him to the US and the rest (canny mind if it's just his brother), were left in Australia. So accent wise, therein might be an explanation.

Reactions: 11
I wonder if, had Michael not died, they would have stayed together and got married like they planned to or if they would have both had their heads turned by others, eventually?
It is fascinating to think about it. I don't think they would have got married and that Michael would have left her. I'm sure I read that Paula was aware he had affairs but turned a blind eye in order to keep him, and also participated in threesomes with other women to keep him happy. In the Gerry Agar book there was that painful bit where they had rented a house in the south of France (if I remember correctly) and invited lots of friends. Michael was openly flirting with other women while Paula desparately tried to pretend she didn't care, but apparently it was obvious to others that Michael was bored and irritated by her.

Reactions: 10
Gerry Agar seemed to be the sole source for pretty much all the tabloid articles I read about Paula, it was the main reason for my rabbit hole dive. It seems as though every year she pops up with some new juicy goss about her bestie.

This article - from the Sunday Times Magazine - has a huge amount of info from lots of sources. It’s sympathetic to Michael mainly but it’s the most balanced and, in my opinion most believable, piece I’ve read so far.
It’s very long and gets a bit confusing as to names at times so TLDR - No one, including Bob was the baddie except maybe (definitely!!!) Gerry Agar and the press.
That was such a good read. Saint Bob. God I don’t like him at all.

It says here that Hutchence was dating an American woman called Erin Hamilton just before he passed away.

Sadly Erin is having troubles of her own now and her Mum (a legendary comedian) has been trying to get custody of her 14 yr old son due to Erins drug problems.

• Sad
It is fascinating to think about it. I don't think they would have got married and that Michael would have left her. I'm sure I read that Paula was aware he had affairs but turned a blind eye in order to keep him, and also participated in threesomes with other women to keep him happy. In the Gerry Agar book there was that painful bit where they had rented a house in the south of France (if I remember correctly) and invited lots of friends. Michael was openly flirting with other women while Paula desparately tried to pretend she didn't care, but apparently it was obvious to others that Michael was bored and irritated by her.
I found it quite distasteful that Michael referred to the Geldof girls as HIS and told Bob that. Imagine if Bob hadn’t cared about his daughters? Imagine if they’d been relinquished into the care of Michael and Paula? Michael was already bored of Paula and family life. It’s like it had been a different experience, an adventure for him, to try out being a dad. He’d have abandoned all of them and god knows what the outcome would have been. Maybe an even more bone chilling ending?

Sir Bob is no saint but thank God he was there to protect his daughters at the time.

Reactions: 21
You're all correct, there was never anything reported in the media about Bob ever having any indiscretions. But I had this experience.
Many many years ago, I was sitting on the steps outside Shaft nightclub in Ely Place in Dublin having a fag and a bit of air and who should pass by but Bob, absolutely wrapped around Jeanne Marine.
We'd never heard of her then, but she particularly stuck in my mind as she reminded me of the girl on the cover of Bob Dylan's Freewheelin' album, and seeing her much later, it was definitely her. I recalled this in the years to come when he was painted as Saint Bob and poor Paula was the devil. And this was WELL before any Big Breakfast/ on the bed with Hutchence had happened !
I don't think that's entirely fair on 'Sir' Bob - thttps://www.rsvplive.ie/news/celebs/inside-bob-geldofs-longstanding-marriage-25113862 says " Bob started dating French actress Jeanne Marine following his divorce from Paula in 1996. The couple reportedly met in Paris where the singer had fled after suffering from depression over the failure of his marriage."
I remember going to the Shaft soon after it opened as a friend was djing - and I don't think this could have been any earlier than 1995 (as I would have been 15/16 then) - so I'd guess Bob was already single at the time you saw him around there. Dublin is and always was such a small scene he'd be a fool to have indiscretions there otherwise (when he could anywhere else and not be noticed) - any time anyone even vaguely well known as much as cops a feel in a club in Dublin everyone knows about it.

I don't think that's entirely fair on 'Sir' Bob - thttps://www.rsvplive.ie/news/celebs/inside-bob-geldofs-longstanding-marriage-25113862 says " Bob started dating French actress Jeanne Marine following his divorce from Paula in 1996. The couple reportedly met in Paris where the singer had fled after suffering from depression over the failure of his marriage."
I remember going to the Shaft soon after it opened as a friend was djing - and I don't think this could have been any earlier than 1995 (as I would have been 15/16 then) - so I'd guess Bob was already single at the time you saw him around there. Dublin is and always was such a small scene he'd be a fool to have indiscretions there otherwise (when he could anywhere else and not be noticed) - any time anyone even vaguely well known as much as cops a feel in a club in Dublin everyone knows about it.
Great article on the Shaft nightclub though for anyone interested: https://www.independent.ie/irish-ne...-be-rescued-from-gay-custom-ers-26188582.html

Reactions: 12
Does Jeanne Marine have any children of her own? It's quite a task, taking on a man with a family, particularly a family as dysfunctional as the Geldofs. Anita, the nanny, seems to have been the main mother figure for the girls in childhood, but even that wasn't a stable relationship, with her being sacked from time to time, whenever Paula decided to write a book or promote herself as an earth mother.

Reactions: 1
Does Jeanne Marine have any children of her own? It's quite a task, taking on a man with a family, particularly a family as dysfunctional as the Geldofs. Anita, the nanny, seems to have been the main mother figure for the girls in childhood, but even that wasn't a stable relationship, with her being sacked from time to time, whenever Paula decided to write a book or promote herself as an earth mother.
I don't think Bob concerned himself too much with parenting. The kids lived in a separate part of the house from him and Jeanne.

Reactions: 14

Great article on the Shaft nightclub though for anyone interested: https://www.independent.ie/irish-ne...-be-rescued-from-gay-custom-ers-26188582.html
It was, but it was more of a private members club at the time. This would've been late eighties. Was your DJ friend the great Alf by any chance? He more or less ran the place back then!

I don't think Bob concerned himself too much with parenting. The kids lived in a separate part of the house from him and Jeanne.
Do you remember Peaches needing paramedic attention after passing out due to 'fumes from a home hair dye kit?' Rumours then were that is was a drug overdose, and at the time she was living under Bob Geldof's roof - but now it appears in a completely self-contained annex, so no wonder he didn't have a clue about it when he was asked.

My teenagers went through a wild child phase (doesn't everyone?) but we were always fully aware of where they were and what they were doing. Local park, drinking Frosty Jacks cider, usually, or hanging outside the Spar trying to persuade adults to buy them booze and fags, or studying for GCSEs with the assistance of a few bottled of WKD. They are all fully functional adults now.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Apparently Jeanne hardly spoke any English when she and Bob were first together.

• Wow
Reactions: 2
I don’t think she did they take them on, they lived in a basement flat that had its own separate front door!

• Wow
  • Sad
I cracked. I bought Paulas mums book on Kindle 🤭. In my defence I’ve been laid up in bed with flu since Friday.
Gertrude was indeed a monster, Jess is awful, Elaine/Helene seems fairly normal (even nice!!) until you reach the umpteenth story of her valiantly triumphing over yet another adversity. My personal limit was reached when, despite having the voice of a bullfrog, she managed to have a few singing lessons and get offered a recording contract.
Unfortunately, despite my best efforts, I’m quite enjoying it. I did have an incredibly high fever over the weekend though so some brain cells may have perished.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
No one's perfect, but is there anyone in this whole saga (Jess Yates, Helene Thornton, Hughie Green, Paula, Michael, Bob, Gerry Agar, Belinda Brewin) who is/was remotely decent? Can't take to any of them except maybe Michael - and I wonder how much his brain injury influenced his erratic/aggressive behaviour towards the end. The nanny seems to have been a steady figure too. No one else sounds like someone I'd want as a friend. No idea what Pixie, Tiger or Fifi are like on a personal level.

I didn't like Paula but I could imagine that Bob was hard to live with as well, seems like a very controlling type.

Has anyone read Belinda Brewin's book?

I googled and can't find any recent updates on Helene, presumably she's still alive as no death date reported. Wonder what she's up to.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
I wonder if Paula would have benefitted from befriending the the Primrose Hill set wives, rather than trying to shag their husbands?

Out of all them. Michael was probably the only one who seemed like a decentish person and someone who I’d actually want to spend time with, but he treated his girlfriends like tit. I think there was probably a cross over between them all and he was likely shagging loads of others behind their backs. Weirdly, both Kylie and Helena still speak fondly of him, especially Kylie. I think she still sees him as the great love of her life.

• Wow
Reactions: 17
Anyone else struggling to see a resemblance between Paula and any of her 4 daughters?

The only one who looks like their dad I think is Tiger.

Reactions: 8
I wonder if Paula would have benefitted from befriending the the Primrose Hill set wives, rather than trying to shag their husbands?
They were all shagging each other too. Pearl Lowe and Sadie Frost fell out after a bit of wife swapping after Jude Law allegedly fell in love with Pearl (another one I just can’t warm to).

• Wow
Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.