Paying off debt support

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
On the back of trying a no spend month, I am also trying to aggressively pay my debts off. I've got them down to £2500. So will be debt free within months. Not sure what I'm gonna do with the spare money lol.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I don’t know if anyone has looked into this but I contacted my credit card company and they froze my interest. (I did a silly mistake last summer and had some changes in circumstances) worth a phone call! X

Reactions: 7
I don’t know if anyone has looked into this but I contacted my credit card company and they froze my interest. (I did a silly mistake last summer and had some changes in circumstances) worth a phone call! X
I did this a few years back but for my overdraft. They ended up paying me the £200 I'd paid in interest and froze the interest for 3 months - I'll be completely honest and admit I did hint at killing myself when dealing with them.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
That can effect your credit scoring. But it’s useful for a breather and if you can’t do a balance transfer to a 0% card.

Reactions: 3
I've got a plan in place this year, I'm in a lot of debt, lots more than everybody is posting here ☹ I'm actually ashamed to say how much. It started over Covid, I started spending too much as a sort of relief to how I was feeling because of Covid if that makes sense?

I'm lucky to have a well paying job. I've promised to have a sensible year this year. I've got myself a second job at the weekends too, I'll probably get a bit burnt out but I really need to pay off these CC.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Currently paying off a a personal loan. Originally 15k but now down to 11k at 3 point something percent. I pay this at £307 per month which is a killer but I do make a small monthly overpayment of £25. Hoping to chuck more at it to get the loan gone alot quicker.

Reactions: 6
I've got a plan in place this year, I'm in a lot of debt, lots more than everybody is posting here ☹ I'm actually ashamed to say how much. It started over Covid, I started spending too much as a sort of relief to how I was feeling because of Covid if that makes sense?

I'm lucky to have a well paying job. I've promised to have a sensible year this year. I've got myself a second job at the weekends too, I'll probably get a bit burnt out but I really need to pay off these CC.
Amazing effort! Hope you're feeling more positive about your debts soon.

I need to make a plan of action this week, I'm paying off a chunk on payday but then using my card here and there and making little to no progress!

Amazing effort! Hope you're feeling more positive about your debts soon.

I need to make a plan of action this week, I'm paying off a chunk on payday but then using my card here and there and making little to no progress!
Thank you! I get my first bigger paycheck this month as I got a payrise which takes effect in Jan, which should mean I'll know what's happening a bit better.

I did speak to stepchange and they even said I earn enough to pay down these debts in 18-24 months without a payment plan or anything from them, so I know I can do it.

I also stupidly use my CC here and there, so I've even cut them up this weekend :ROFLMAO:

• Heart
I don’t know if anyone listens to podcasts? This woman paid off £35k debt in 18 months 😱

She followed Dave Ramsey (who I know isn’t for everyone) using baby steps:

• Wow
Reactions: 8
Thank you! I get my first bigger paycheck this month as I got a payrise which takes effect in Jan, which should mean I'll know what's happening a bit better.

I did speak to stepchange and they even said I earn enough to pay down these debts in 18-24 months without a payment plan or anything from them, so I know I can do it.

I also stupidly use my CC here and there, so I've even cut them up this weekend :ROFLMAO:
Oh don’t feel ashamed or bad! I fell into a trap over covid too.

Take the cc off any online shopping, and try and cross off no spend days in your diary. Plan your groceries etc. if you have something in your online basket, go round your house - you will probably have something similar!

You’ve got this!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Oh don’t feel ashamed or bad! I fell into a trap over covid too.

Take the cc off any online shopping, and try and cross off no spend days in your diary. Plan your groceries etc. if you have something in your online basket, go round your house - you will probably have something similar!

You’ve got this!
Thank you! I've definitely been planning my food shop much better. The CCs are off the online bit. I'm weirdly looking forward to getting this weight off my back this year.

Covid was awful wasn't it?

Found this & following with intrigue. You’ve all done brilliantly! Getting into debt is easy, getting out of if is so hard though.

My tips from my own personal journey:
Call your credit card/bank/whatever lender and ask them to reduce the interest rate. You’ll be amazed by who will.
Move to 0% where possible - I moved an interest bearing loan to 0% with the same provider, which amuses me.
Make a plan to pay off either the highest interest, or lowest balance first to get a feeling of accomplishment.
Note the habits that got you into debt, and try change them, one at a time.
72 hour rule for non essential purchases (wait 72 hours to see if you still want it!).
Don’t compare yourself to others, we are all in different financial positions, different lifestyles, different priorities and different limitations.
Celebrate your achievements, give yourself a pat on the back and be proud of yourself for making the decision to tackle this!!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Paid another £500 yesterday. Hoping to pay another £500 before the end of the month. Just want these debts gone. I've spent a full year clearing and paying them off. Have also managed to squirrel some money in my savings. My aim is as soon as I've paid the debts I'm getting my boobs done so its a real motivator.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Thank you! I've definitely been planning my food shop much better. The CCs are off the online bit. I'm weirdly looking forward to getting this weight off my back this year.

Covid was awful wasn't it?
It was flipping horrid. I completely fell into the exact same spending pattern as you. I spent 2022 really looking at myself and have actually really got a handle on it now and even have some savings. I know they say you should prioritise debt but even having some put by was really good for me. I keep a holding account before paying a savings sum and either overpay my debt that month or save some.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Can you have savings if you have an Iva?
I think it depends on your arrangement? They will usually make you prioritise the debt with any held upon the start of the agreement, and then any incurred during would be under a change of circs as far as I know? I am not under an IVA if the question was aimed at my comment, sorry to cause confusion. Like the above poster, I’m self managing my way out of a foolish year of outgoings

I think it depends on your arrangement? They will usually make you prioritise the debt with any held upon the start of the agreement, and then any incurred during would be under a change of circs as far as I know? I am not under an IVA if the question was aimed at my comment, sorry to cause confusion. Like the above poster, I’m self managing my way out of a foolish year of outgoings
Well done on managing it on your own I honestly wish I’d done that, it was just a general question to anyone who is or has been on an Iva but thank you x

• Heart
Paid another £500 yesterday. Hoping to pay another £500 before the end of the month. Just want these debts gone. I've spent a full year clearing and paying them off. Have also managed to squirrel some money in my savings. My aim is as soon as I've paid the debts I'm getting my boobs done so its a real motivator.
I have a motivator too. Mines it to get bifold doors installed. 🤣

• Haha
£188 left on the credit card 😭 there was once a point where I genuinely didn't think I'd get here. I was hoping to have paid it off last month or this month but Xmas and my birthday happened so 🤷🏽‍♀️ got an expensive month next month so may be looking at March time but even so that's not far and actually achievable 🥺🤩

• Heart
Reactions: 15
£188 left on the credit card 😭 there was once a point where I genuinely didn't think I'd get here. I was hoping to have paid it off last month or this month but Xmas and my birthday happened so 🤷🏽‍♀️ got an expensive month next month so may be looking at March time but even so that's not far and actually achievable 🥺🤩
Well done it’s such a great feeling to get it paid off

• Heart