Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
I have one idea for the thread. Takeaways. So within our household, we have had illness, disability, several other things happen, including at one point a broken freezer/cooker combo, which resulted in Takeaways becoming a short-term fix.

In reality, they become a constant and for almost 2 years in total.

I got sick of craving home cooked food and realised we were in this loop of debt. We bought rubbish because we lacked a freezer and cooker, but we couldn't afford to replace them because we wasted so much cash on takeaways :rolleyes: :sneaky:

So, I managed to look in the freecycle pages of our local area (in the UK and these are where folk can give away, totally free, items they no longer want or need). I found a small freezer that had been used as a temp solution for someone getting a new fitted kitchen.

This got me started on gathering some food together, that could be cooked in a slow cooker (that I found in the back of one of my cupboards, new and still in the box).

I then kept an empty hot choc bottle (that it comes in) and made a slot in the top. As this bottle is milky in colour, you can't see in. Each time we avoided buying a takeaway, I asked family to write what they would have had and using the menu, write the amount next to it.

Meanwhile, I moved the money into a savings account, rather than spend it.

At the end of the first year, having ceased buying cups of coffee and doughnuts, no more McD's breakfasts, no lunches/dinners etc., we tipped out our pot and read the amount we had saved in that year.

I was horrified, sickened and shocked to know we had wasted almost £8,190 More than enough to buy a new freezer, cooker and even probably a whole new kitchen :(

The following year, using the money saved in the account, we bought two large freezers, a new cooker (double oven and hob) and lots of containers to store food. We bulk cook, freeze and where possible, use deals to buy larger items and split them into smaller bags in the freezer.

We have less wastage and everyone has agreed, there is more choice, everyone is full and we are still saving money. I've also noticed everyone has lost weight, looks healthier and has more energy, thanks to ditching the cheaper option foods we had become used to.

Hope this helps someone to save a little more and put it towards their bills.

• Heart
Reactions: 69

PumpkinKing

Chatty Member
Inspired by the no spend January thread which has resulted in me paying an extra £135 so far off my credit card, I thought a debt support thread may be useful.
I used to follow one years ago on netmums and found it really motivating. We could mention ways we're saving money, making a little extra, all to help make any extra payments.

So, I am PumpkinKing and my debt totals £8091.01.
When I added it up at the start of the month I was horrified and angry with myself for being so stupid, I'm not even sure what I have to show for it! But I am determined to shift it as quick as I can while saving a little emergency fund, it will be a minimum of 2 years though. I/we can do this 🙂

• Heart
Reactions: 42

bluefootedbooby

Hi everybody! Just checking in to see how everybody is getting on this past year? It's been almost a full 12 months since I sat my arse down and decided enough was enough.

When I first posted on here I was too embarrassed to even say how much debt I had - I can now say it was almost £17k across a loan and various credit cards. I'm now down to £8.3k this month, and should be debt free around this time next year. It's been a bit of a slog but I'm pleased - I've even started an emergency fund of savings and a house fund in a LISA so I can take advantage of the 25% bonus each tax year.

I'm hopefully going to see another small payment from being made redundant in the form of a protective award granted by an upcoming tribunal, which should mean I'll be debt free even quicker.

• Heart
Reactions: 29

Thank(space)you

VIP Member
I did it! My credit card is completely paid off 🥳🤩 £3K paid in just shy of a year, when I first started it seemed impossible but I'm finally here. Take this as your sign it is going to happen for you all too. Thank you all for the support I've received throughout.

• Heart
Reactions: 22

Mokie

Chatty Member
The moneysavingexpert website has a forum which has loads of helpful advice and tips for getting debt free. I used it about 8 years ago. I was over £10k in debt with a mixture of personal loans/credit cards/catalogues along with a car on pcp. I was very easily “influenced” shall we say and spent countless cash on crap I didn’t need. I was also head in the sand and would keep taking cash out and never check my online banking.

How I got out of debt

- wrote down everything I spent, literally everything. It’s much easy to keep a check on where you’re at
-checked my balance everyday
- chipped away at every CC/debt every month and if I’d saved a bit of cash I’d pay that off one of my debt. I wrote it all down so I could see the balances falling
-took cash out once a week. I find it much harder to impulse buy if I’m handing over cash or know I’ve only got £x left
-I know lots of people are time poor but batch cooking basic meals like bolognaise, stew, chilli and one night a week a jacket potato. So tasty and proper cheap
-make-up/face creams/beauty products I used up everything I had before buying anything new. Other than mascara this took me 18 months 😳
-clothes again other than underwear nothing new unless I had sold something on eBay to pay for it
-putting a little aside each month for Christmas. Even if it’s only £20 it’s means an extra couple of hundred.

It did take years but I did it. Looking back whilst no one had a gun to my head, as a much younger woman I was prime target for the advertising, that I deserved a pay day treat etc

Good luck to everyone

• Heart
Reactions: 17

no-no

VIP Member
Does anyone else suffer with a scarcity mindset? I’m not paid for another fortnight and when funds are low it makes me want to spend. If I had money now I’d be prudent. I can last until then, but have spent a bit this evening. However, it was discount codes and I got stuff I’d need on payday for a fraction of the price. It’s just hard not letting it snowball and saying “fuck it, I’ll get that as well”.

I’m single so can’t bear the cringe of getting a takeaway for one delivered, my vices are homeware, clothes and beauty orders. I’m chipping away at debts but it’s so hard wishing your life away for paydays 🙇🏼‍♀️

Reactions: 16

Lucyxxxx

VIP Member
Paid another card off in full. My credit score in the past year has gone from very poor to fair. 80 more points and it will be good. So hoping clearing this one and the 2 I'm clearing in the next few weeks will give it a push upto good.

• Heart
Reactions: 15

J3N1800

I'm down to my last credit card payment - currently £100 outstanding.
I'm really proud but can already struggled budgeting essentials from now until September.
Does anyone else watch Budget videos on YouTube and feel surprised how much household income people seem to have?
ive found myself specifically searching for 'Low Income' versions in order to relate!

• Heart

bluefootedbooby

Hi all

Making good progress this year, have paid off £3k so far since January.

Sadly the company I worked for went into administration, so I lost my job. Luckily I found a job quickly after, and thanks to my redundancy pay (only statutory unfortunately) and I’ll be making another £3k payment next month. That puts me on track to be under £10k debt for the first time in years!!!

Really proud of the progress I’ve made this year, I know it will really be the year I pay it all off. I can’t wait.

• Heart
  • Wow

Thank(space)you

VIP Member
£188 left on the credit card 😭 there was once a point where I genuinely didn't think I'd get here. I was hoping to have paid it off last month or this month but Xmas and my birthday happened so 🤷🏽‍♀️ got an expensive month next month so may be looking at March time but even so that's not far and actually achievable 🥺🤩

• Heart

CelinaRoger

Have followed this thread for a while and don't think I have ever commented, but I thought I would give a little light at the end of the tunnel for those of you in the throws of it.

4 years ago after having kids very young when we wasn't financially stable we were in a shocking financial state, couldn't afford to live both working our asses off full time and still had over 20k of debt, which was crippling us with huge interest building up, it was scary and I couldn't see a way forward. We spoke to stepchange and went with a DMP, and now 4 years later, we are debt free, our credit scores are finally recovering, and we have managed to put a deposit down on a house, so proud of us and so thankful for stepchange.

One of the biggest things that helped me was actually putting a little in savings each month even when we felt like we couldn't afford it, seeing that build up while we were putting most of our money towards debt gave me more incentive and also meant we finally had a bit of a safety net.

Also proud of all you lot here working hard to be debt free 💪🏻

• Heart
Reactions: 14

littlepup

VIP Member
“I am also a firm believer in living for now so have booked two holidays which still need paying off.….my health is very poor and I want to make the most of life…….But I am burnt out and a good chunk of wages is going on debt every month.…. I'm working a lot of bank shifts for the nhs putting in anything from 50/60 + hours a week and I'm just exhausted and it's not doing my health any good… I think a lot of my spending is guilt spending because I'm away from my kids so much…..It's not a quality of life working all the time if I'm honest and I'd give anything to be at home with my kids a lot more.”
You’ve said…. “I am also a firm believer in living for now so have booked two holidays which still need paying off.….my health is very poor and I want to make the most of life…….But I am burnt out and a good chunk of wages is going on debt every month.…. I'm working a lot of bank shifts for the nhs putting in anything from 50/60 + hours a week and I'm just exhausted and it's not doing my health any good… I think a lot of my spending is guilt spending because I'm away from my kids so much…..It's not a quality of life working all the time if I'm honest and I'd give anything to be at home with my kids a lot more.”

Taking these points out it seems like everything is conflicting and there’s a lot of self sabotage going on.
Putting the debt aside for now, I think it would be helpful for you to put down on paper what your priorities and goals are and how you can get there.
Are two holidays worth doing 50-60hrs/wk for? It sound like in trying to make the m out of life you’re not really living outside of these few weeks?
Perhaps speak to someone about how to consolidate some debts and work out a time frame for how long it’ll take to pay if you do X shifts vs Y shifts. Then look at where you can stop spending to fill these gaps you feel because you’re working so much.
It’s really not worth doing those 10 extra hours a week if that money goes straight out to guilt spending. It’s counter productive and damaging your health just to break even.
Speak to your kids. Would they rather have you home or the holidays and stuff, I bet it’s the former.
Some changes and sacrifice now could provide you better health and more financial stability for the future where you can live how you want to. You have a path out of this with your earning ability, I cant see another way you can pay off quicker without diverting more of your earning to the debt by reducing spending for a while.

It might be helpful to also look at things in terms of how many hours you have to work to buy it too to help cut guilt spending.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
Just joining this thread as I have a fair bit of debt, mainly owed to my lovely mum who helps us out SO much but also embarrassingly quite a lot on credit cards but definitely not an unmanageable amount, but enough to hang over me and feel like a bit of a cloud.

I have this problem whereby I will go to buy something I really want then have to buy about 5 more things on top? Like I can never just buy one thing, it has to be loads to get that fulfilling feeling. I then feel so sick with myself because it’s money I could have spent elsewhere 🤯 but then the cycle repeats. Probably sounds silly but I get worse during seasons changing, probably because this is when all the new bits come out in the shops. I’m definitely always worse when we are low on funds - especially takeaways etc, my partner is the same.

Anyway, hoping this thread can keep me in check as I find it really motivating when other people are knocking off big chunks of their debts and I can get some good ideas from it.

Your post is so incredibly honest and I will tell you, you are not alone in what you describe. When you say "fulfilling feeling", this is such an important thing.

I had a stage a while back, where I had been a full time carer for a family member who passed away. I began buying bits and pieces for my home (their room was bare, once all their things had gone) and it then carried on and on. Boxes would arrive and I'd feel elated, excited and happy from the purchase. The boxes would be stacked up, ready to open once I had decorated the room. Eventually................ the room was half filled with boxes :oops: there wasn't any room to decorate.

I realised I was simply attempting to fill a gap, a loneliness and to try and feel as you describe, more fulfilled. Once I had realised this, I understood that I wasn't really changing anything, I was purely filling my home with items that I almost certainly didn't actually need and while they sat gathering dust, fashions moved on and the items weren't that appealing anymore.

I also had a few months of buying clothing, also trying to feel better about myself (my uniform for almost 9 years had been joggers and t-shirts, because I never went anywhere due to caring). One of my family was having a cross moment one day and blurted out, I don't know why you bother, you never go anywhere - and again, I realised I was simply buying another item to fill that same gap.

It was helpful to find out what my "gap" was, in my case grieving and then to have some support. After that I began clearing away the unnecessary items and used the money from selling some of it (others I gifted away to charity) to clear the cards I had used to buy it all.

I've had one of my waffling on moments there 😂 but I thought I'd share as it might resonate with you a little :)

• Heart
Reactions: 13

JTsFringe

I found this thing on tiktok/reddit/one of them apps... where you "snowball" your debt. basically you list your debt from the smallest amount to the most and then pay off the smallest with any extra cash you have whilst paying off minimum payments on the bigger ones. Before I was paying off chunks to each one, each week and was just skinting myself out, but now im paying the absolute minimum payments to the bigger ones and paying off the smaller ones as I go, it actually feels like I'm getting somewhere.
---
So, for example:
Very - £350 - 0% bnpl - min payment £10 a month
Littlewoods - £794 - 0% - min payment £10 a month
Argos - £1400 - 29.9% - Min payment £40 a month
Next - £3000 - 59.9% - Min payment - £100 a month
Barclays - £4500 - 39.9% - Min payment - £100 a month

Normally, you're paying minimum payments on them all and getting nowhere, or your paying a little bit more on each thinking "the more I pay, the quicker it gets paid off" (which was my thought process). So instead of paying:
£150 a month to Barclays,
£150 to Next,
£50 to Argos,
£40 to Littlewoods
£50 to Very

You pay the minimum, and the excess (£180) you originally paid would just go straight to the smallest debt. Very would be paid off in 2 months rather than however many months paying everything. Then as you move down the list, your excess will be more, as you'll have shrunk your debt. So once you've paid Very, Littlewoods and Argos off, your excess will have increased to £240.

Iv only been doing this for a little while but already I have paid off 2 lots of little debts and reduced the weight on my shoulders massively. I still have a long way to go but seeing it chip off has been a relief. Hope this helps anyone x

Last edited:
  • Heart

Pinhead Larry

Chatty Member
By October I should be debt free 😃 final push now, I have 4x £300 payments and 1x £100 left to make. I’ve also managed to open a savings account which currently stands at £1250. Looking back to when I joined this thread up to my eyeballs in it, it felt like this would never come, and I believe the government have signed off the nhs payrise so that’s a massive help

• Heart

PumpkinKing

Chatty Member
Well done for doing something about your situation, that’s the first hurdle done, knowing that you have a plan! Good luck ♥
Thank you 🙂 I've done it before, obviously didn't learn my lesson lol

I have one idea for the thread. Takeaways. So within our household, we have had illness, disability, several other things happen, including at one point a broken freezer/cooker combo, which resulted in Takeaways becoming a short-term fix.

In reality, they become a constant and for almost 2 years in total.

I got sick of craving home cooked food and realised we were in this loop of debt. We bought rubbish because we lacked a freezer and cooker, but we couldn't afford to replace them because we wasted so much cash on takeaways :rolleyes: :sneaky:

So, I managed to look in the freecycle pages of our local area (in the UK and these are where folk can give away, totally free, items they no longer want or need). I found a small freezer that had been used as a temp solution for someone getting a new fitted kitchen.

This got me started on gathering some food together, that could be cooked in a slow cooker (that I found in the back of one of my cupboards, new and still in the box).

I then kept an empty hot choc bottle (that it comes in) and made a slot in the top. As this bottle is milky in colour, you can't see in. Each time we avoided buying a takeaway, I asked family to write what they would have had and using the menu, write the amount next to it.

Meanwhile, I moved the money into a savings account, rather than spend it.

At the end of the first year, having ceased buying cups of coffee and doughnuts, no more McD's breakfasts, no lunches/dinners etc., we tipped out our pot and read the amount we had saved in that year.

I was horrified, sickened and shocked to know we had wasted almost £8,190 More than enough to buy a new freezer, cooker and even probably a whole new kitchen :(

The following year, using the money saved in the account, we bought two large freezers, a new cooker (double oven and hob) and lots of containers to store food. We bulk cook, freeze and where possible, use deals to buy larger items and split them into smaller bags in the freezer.

We have less wastage and everyone has agreed, there is more choice, everyone is full and we are still saving money. I've also noticed everyone has lost weight, looks healthier and has more energy, thanks to ditching the cheaper option foods we had become used to.

Hope this helps someone to save a little more and put it towards their bills.
Thanks so much for this. Food is definitely a big spending area for me, we usually have a take away 3-4 times a month but when my mental health was worse it was a lot more. Plus I'm a comfort eater and I've 4 kids who eat like pigs lol. I've started a spending diary, written down every single thing I've bought and how much they've cost then at the end of the month I'm going to add up how much I've spent on junk etc, have a feeling its going to be a lot!!

Last edited:
  • Heart

Shimmering

VIP Member
Hello

I've just got a 0% money transfer from one of my credit cards to pay off my overdraft (around 2k). Not ideal but I'm literally in this hideous cycle of living in my overdraft and paying for it and I just need space to breathe. Now I have to not spend anything extra for the rest of the month. This is not free money!

I have basically been in debt since I became a student and was given a credit card and massive overdraft by RBS. This was in 2000 and I then proceeded to rack up credit card debt over the years, paying it back sometimes, and then racking it up again due to my horrible overspending habits. I would transfer to the debt to a 0% interest deal and then say, woohoo, loads of free money and proceed to sink further and further into debt.

My current debt hell is due to beng the sole / main breadwinner for many years with two kids and having no financial skills at all other than transferring debt around. About ten years ago the deals dried up. I've never learnt my lesson. I pay off and then rack up again.

I'm hoping against hope that this time is different and I'm making this post to try and hold myself accountable.

I have one credit card with a 2k balance that I've been paying off for a good while and I've been good with that. They recently wrote to tell me they are increasing my limit to 14k. 14 fucking k. That is insane to me. Around half my take home pay. And me struggling already with debt. I know you can turn it down but I never have. My total debt is around the 23k mark.

I have a mortgage and a lot of equity thanks to my fantastic partner so I know I am insanely lucky.

The overdraft was crushing me because I was paying 30 quid a month in charges, being skint the last two weeks of every month, and getting messages from my bank warning me that I was spending too much time in the red.

I pay fixed payments on everything every month, apart from one card which is over 4k and is in my purse so I would rely on it when I've run out of cash. I pay what I can to it eve month but it creeps up. I haven't used it yet this month and trying hard not to.

Once my fixed payments are covered, which is mortgage, insurances, debt repayments, etc. In theory I have around 800 pounds to live on a month which should be easy but for some reason isn't.

My husband is a high earner and very frugal so he is a great partner to have. I just want to be much better than I am because the way I am now is a burden and I waste so much money with nothing to show for it. I honestly don't have clothes, make up, etc apart from the bare essentials. I do have a car. I spend a lot of money of food as I've shared here before. But I have managed to kick my fast food habit.

Thanks for reading and wish me luck please.

• Heart
Reactions: 12