One Direction #2 It's been so long, it's been so long, maybe they're fireproof

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What did he say?
Shaded him wearing Gucci clothes, said that his own album would be more than 10 tracks to get “value for money” just after Harry released his first album with 10 tracks, said he didn’t understand why Harry tries to portray himself as wild, crazy etc using drugs when some people just “are” (aka him), said that Harry would never struggle finding producers to work with (which is true, but said it in the context to portray himself as an underdog) etc.

I will always have respect for Louis and what pain he has gone through, it’s truly unimaginable to have to go through that within such a short period of time. Saying that, he’s always been rude towards professionals he’s worked with and has made racist comments before so I don’t particularly like him as a person. His friends have also apparently made homophobic comments about Harry before and still use the f slur.

• Wow
Reactions: 4
Wait when has he been rude to professionals? And I've never heard of these racist things before?

Also Louis acting like he's working class and common as muck when he's a multi-millionaire is cringe

Also Louis acting like he's working class and common as muck when he's a multi-millionaire is cringe
But he's nouveau-riche isn't he? His childhood and most of his teenage years were spent living a very working class life, the only son with 4 little sisters. He probably still feels that way inside. He might have the money now but his formative years have shaped his outlook.

Reactions: 11
Yeah louis was older than the others, so he only got into money in his 20s since he was 18 on xfactor. Until he was 19/20, he was working class with a big family. I don't think acting humble and acknowledging where you came from is cringe. He's also never come across as the flashy new money kind which is refreshing. (his sisters though.. that's another story)

Reactions: 11
Wait when has he been rude to professionals? And I've never heard of these racist things before?
Ross Golan (who wrote on some of the later albums for 1D) has a podcast with other songwriters, he had Savan Kotecha as a guest once who spoke about 1D and specifically Louis. Savan was one of the main writers and producers for their first 2 albums. He said that Louis ('the one who wasn't the singer/star/the talented one') was bitter about the fact that he was in a boyband and started having something against the songwriters working with them. He said that Louis made it an unhappy environment for him to work in and made him question things so he ended up leaving after album 2 and only writing Happily with Harry for MM. It starts around 45 mins here

He also essentially blacklisted himself from Australian radio in 2017. Ash London, a popular radio presenter over there (I think Niall and Harry have both been on her show before) had a conversation with one of her co-hosts about the 1d guys and one of them asked if Louis was the one with short brown hair and a smaller face and she replied saying yes, with kind of ratty facial hair too. She got inundated with abuse afterwards for that comment (it was trending on Twitter and thousands of people were sending her death threats). She put out an apology and Louis only replied with 'Probs best to stay on Private for a bit longer love! 🖕'. She deleted all her social media after that and Louis never apologised so most stations there don't play him because of how he responded to her.

In that infamous weed video with Zayn he says a shortened version of the n word ('it's green only, ***!'), there's a video where his sister is singing along to a rap song and saying the n word and he only tells her that she's on camera, not that she shouldn't be saying that word, he's also spoken multiple times how he doesn't like 'urban' music and that radio should shift away from that sound. 'Urban' music is just not a good term and it was a term dropped by basically every major label last year during the BLM protests and the Grammys renamed their categories with that term because it's racially coded. Tyler the Creator after winning his Grammy last year even said it's basically just another word for black music/the n word.

Reactions: 2
Not to play devils advocate too much, but I think there’s good points made by everyone. Yes, Louis has had an incredibly difficult couple of years and we should all have sympathy for how much he has lost. Saying that, there are countless times when he has been outright rude and disrespectful to people, even before his mum and sister passed away.

I know that when they were still together, people would often talk about Louis as the one who couldn’t sing, or the least favourite. That’s definitely going to leave you with a bit of a chip of your shoulder. Still, many people rise above that or try and make the best of a bad situation. With Louis, I feel he does have a bit of a victim complex when it comes to his voice, his talent and his standing in the band. He’s angry that the others have got more exposure than him and probably hasn’t lost that chip on his shoulder.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Louis. He’s by far the funniest and most down to earth out of the boys, bar Niall maybe. However, I do think because he knows he isn’t seen as the favourite or most talented member, he’s decided to take sly potshots at the others, particularly Harry who has always been held up as 1D’s golden boy.

It’s difficult, because I understand he’s got a chip on his shoulder, I just wish he’d try to overcome it.

Reactions: 7
But he's nouveau-riche isn't he? His childhood and most of his teenage years were spent living a very working class life, the only son with 4 little sisters. He probably still feels that way inside. He might have the money now but his formative years have shaped his outlook.
His sisters went to private school before the 1D days, so not so sure they were working class

That is definitely true. I'm the same in many ways. But I think a lot of people have an issue with the way he was all 'I'm just like you guys!!' when he just isn't anymore, at least. He can dress down in sloppy tracksuits as much as he wants and put on an exaggerated accent as much as he likes, but he's got immense privilege and doesn't always acknowledge it. I agree with him having a chip on his shoulder that he can't get over...

i always thought that louis and niall got the brunt of the vocal shaming back in the day so i agree with what you've said about the chip on his shoulder. niall def handled it better but he's always seemed to be so happy go lucky so it isn't that surprising.

also i'm currently obsessed with niall & annemarie's new single "our song" :love::love:

Reactions: 5
I'm not sure when that interview with the songwriter Savan is from but I think he also recently said that he was wrong about Louis and that Louis was right to be questioning their sound and that he made the right choice to move the band forward. They were in a band that was so strictly controlled by their 'teams' behind the scenes that I cant blame Louis for wanting to take control and make the band sound more mature and what they actually wanted to sing/sound like. They were a band in the early days who just sang songs given to them. I think Louis was very aware that when 1d ended they would find it difficult having never tried writing their own music.

I do hope one day that it all comes out about the x factor and how Simon Cowell treated people post x factor. I do wonder whether it was all fixed that 1D wouldnt win so that Simon was able to give them a contract on his terms that might not have been completely beneficial to the boys. Make it seem like he was doing them a favour and taking a risk on them as they hadn't won. They were young boys and I imagine not treated correctly or looked after when signing contracts.

i can't get over how no one bothers talking about liam... poor guy honestly. but he is just cringe 🥴

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Yeah I do feel bad for Louis and Niall to have that shadow and criticism looming over you all the time, it must be very difficult to deal with that many people telling you you’re not talented. That’s one of the reasons I feel for Liam, he seems very lost and misguided after leaving 1d without a creative vision for himself (however cringy he is 😬). Coming from one of the most successful bands ever to a solo career must be a very difficult transition. Although, while Niall and Louis had to deal with that criticism they were also earning millions more than other musicians who people would argue are more talented than any of the 5 of them so I suppose it’s swings and roundabouts. Developing a victim complex or entitlement towards success doesn’t seem fair in that context though.

Reactions: 1
Poor liam honestly... it's like all he knew was how to be the "dad" of 1d and once that ended he had no idea what he wanted to do. i honestly thought strip that down was good and expected him to go down the justin timberlake route but idk what happened.
i would confidently say that niall is doing the best next to harry. he's got collabs with anyone and everyone and not one person has a bad thing to say about him. he's just minding his business and making music that he enjoys 🎶

Louis slagging off the writing for the first two albums. Let's be honest here, the first two albums were pretty shocking in places. Some really naff songs. Louis was right. Even if he didn't necessarily go about it in the right way.

Reactions: 6
Louis slagging off the writing for the first two albums. Let's be honest here, the first two albums were pretty shocking in places. Some really naff songs. Louis was right. Even if he didn't necessarily go about it in the right way.
What are you talking about, the Na Na Na chorus was lyrical genius 😂 although Little Black Dress was repetitive in the same way, but the rest of their songs definitely evolved for the better.
Niall and Louis always got the worst end of the deal when it came to solos in the early days - I don't think Louis had a single solo during X Factor, he always had someone else (usually Liam), singing with him. I watched those performances more than I care to admit after the hiatus and he looked awkward at times, probably because he felt like a mug for never actually singing.
Liam, bless him. He's always come across as nice enough and desperate to keep the ties strong because he didn't do well for friends prior to 1D. Zayn and Liam seemed to be close during the early days, before it became Zayn and Louis. I don't actually know what other song Liam's done since that one with Rita Ora 😭

Reactions: 2
Niall and Louis always got the worst end of the deal when it came to solos in the early days - I don't think Louis had a single solo during X Factor, he always had someone else (usually Liam), singing with him. I watched those performances more than I care to admit after the hiatus and he looked awkward at times, probably because he felt like a mug for never actually singing.
The video of Niall going 'ahhhhh' as backing vocals on X Factor 😭

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
i can't get over how no one bothers talking about liam... poor guy honestly. but he is just cringe 🥴
I really do think it’s a lack of direction (excuse the pun) in what he wanted to sound like.

Zayn went RnB and does a very good job of it, Niall is acing pop and seems to love it, Louis went down the Britpop/Indie scene and while he hasn’t blown up seems happy with what he’s doing and Harry was always going to be fine, and has made a great career for himself that I can only see him growing into more.

Liam seemed desperate to get rid of the sickly sweet image and did the cringiest thing he could and made a rap/RnB album full of innuendo that gave everyone whiplash from who he was in the band. I mean who saw that coming from him? Louis always referenced indie bands, Niall loved pop music, Zayn loved RnB and Harry seemed to like classic and glam rock like the Stones and Bowie, so when it came to their solo stuff sounding like the influences they’d cited it made sense. Liam making a rap album talking about threesomes and drinking after being the wholesome “dad” figure just seemed so out of place and wrong.

He’ll be the first to crack no question. When the money runs out, which it will for him the quickest I think, he’ll give a big tell all interview and throw management under the bus. I can’t wait for that day, but in the meantime I feel sorry for him that that seems to be his future.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.