Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Dollylovesshoes

VIP Member
It’s so different to the terrible remake - much better.
If I remember it was bit frightening.Back in 70’s films was and some very violent.Think it was the time like Soldier Blue etc.
lots of films explicit.

just copied from my email from Talking pics.

In 1958’s Kings Go Forth on Sunday at 10pm, an all-star cast including Frank Sinatra, Tony Curtis and Natalie Wood star in a drama set during World War II which explores the complexities of love and rivalry as two American soldiers vie for the affections of the same woman in France.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1

Dollylovesshoes

VIP Member
I haven’t got ig but I remember film and love it..

Ages ago a poster posted fabulous books by Richard Sellers I loaded em down to Kindle app on iPad,I loved it,there is a new one called 1971 it’s about 70’s films..i reckon all the juicy bits etc.Just bern released.

thegirlscout

VIP Member
Does anyone know of any films like Aviator and Babylon (I haven’t seen either but adding them to my list) which are about old Hollywood and film making etc?

Bluelipstick

VIP Member
Never listened to podcast as not sure where to get them to listen to them lol. Listening to the moon is a balloon on youtube at present.
It depends on your phone but I have an iPhone and just use the podcasts app that comes with it. You can also listen in Apple Music or Spotify.

Reverend

VIP Member
As a child Law and Order SVU star Mariska Hargitay was in the rear seat fast asleep when the accident happened.

lamaitresse

VIP Member
Fascinating video clip! Poor Judy Garland is visibly shaking at one point when the camera pans past all those at the luncheon (at 4:53). Did the MC introduce everyone in that photograph? Must have taken ages.

The MC seemed to *really* like Lena Horne!! (at 1:54).

Half-thinking Buster Keaton pretended to not know which direction to go in (as comedy was his thing), hard to tell! (introduced just after Lena Horne).

Remotecontrol

VIP Member
I was watching an old film the other night, Murder By Decree. It starred the lovely Christopher Plummer and the one I adore, James Mason.

No one talks about him enough!! Very underrated. Not many people remember he was in the original A Star Is Born with Judy Garland. Another one who is buried in Switzerland.

View attachment 2513572

NB ... I adore him and Gregory Peck. I definitely have a type. 🤣
I love James Mason. That actually was the first remake of the 1937 film.

For a long time I thought the Garland Mason one was the first too

• Heart

HowlOwl

VIP Member
If any body’s interested

This week finds us rekindling the spine-tingling spirit of Christmas as we resurrect the BBC's classic A Ghost Story for Christmas series, an eerie journey that begins with The Stalls of Barchester on Monday at 8.35pm, first broadcast on Christmas Eve 1971 and featuring Robert Hardy, Clive Swift and Thelma Barlow. In this adaptation of M.R. James’ short story, a mysterious box in the old library of Barchester Cathedral reveals the strange story of a former archdeacon.
Thanks so much for posting this.

HowlOwl

VIP Member
If any body’s interested

This week finds us rekindling the spine-tingling spirit of Christmas as we resurrect the BBC's classic A Ghost Story for Christmas series, an eerie journey that begins with The Stalls of Barchester on Monday at 8.35pm, first broadcast on Christmas Eve 1971 and featuring Robert Hardy, Clive Swift and Thelma Barlow. In this adaptation of M.R. James’ short story, a mysterious box in the old library of Barchester Cathedral reveals the strange story of a former archdeacon.
What channel is it on, please? Can’t see it on the BBC.

thegirlscout

VIP Member
Some photos of Angelina Jolie filming as Maria Callas. Have these convinced any Maria Callas fans we have here she’s the right fit? Or will you be waiting to see the film to judge?
IMG_3238.jpeg
IMG_3239.jpeg
IMG_3240.jpeg
IMG_3241.jpeg
IMG_3242.jpeg

Piff paff puff

VIP Member
Found a free Joan Crawford autobiography of herself reading it but the link won't work because I think you need to have the app (which was installed on my phone by the manufacturer). This is it if anyone else has it on their phone.
IMG_20240109_094425.jpg

thegirlscout

VIP Member
I wonder if she would have turned into Alice Evans should he have left her.
---

Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg, when heir and in exile during WW2, joined the British Army, passed out of Sandhurst and was commissioned into the Irish Guards. He took part in the Normandy landings as well as the liberation of Luxembourg. Until 2000 he was the Colonel of the Irish Guards, like Kate today. I think he and the late QE were the last two rulers to serve in WW2.
Oh cool, I didn’t know about this! He took part in the Normandy landings as well. Thank you for sharing.

Web30

VIP Member
I'd love to read Mommie dearest, the biography written by Joan Crawford's daughter. They made a film out of the book, with Faye Dunaway as Joan Crawford. The irony is there are rumours that Faye Dunaway isn't exactly sweetness and light. Some good casting there then!
I loved that film!

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
He was a strong Republican and supported the blacklisting that was happening in Hollywood. He went as far as being an informant to Henry Hoover.

He was also (allegedly- some account vary) accused of being racist by a black actor (and I believe John Ford called him racist) and apparently was hostile to Jews. I think he was a patriot to a fault and very entrenched in Republican politics so very well could have held racist and antisemitic views but the information I’ve personally read can contradict itself.
Oh no 😢
I had to ask didn't I.