Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Dollylovesshoes

VIP Member
I watched the film 'Babylon' the other night. What a mess of a film. Brad Pitt's character, Jack Conrad, is apparently based on John Gilbert. Margot Robbie's character is based on Clara Bow.
Nosing on Amazon,I searched Hollywood Babylon,bloody hell hardback you can buy for over £100 also original second one as well cost a lot.

thegirlscout

VIP Member
Love this thread! Agree about the wonderful Gene Tierney in Laura and Leave Her To Heaven, both fantastic films. I've been binging on old classics too. All About Eve and Mildred Pierce are two of my faves.
I saw Footsteps in the Fog recently, thought it was great, and made extra interesting because its stars Jean Simmons and Stewart Granger were married at the time (massive age difference, nice creepy frisson between them in the film).
Where have you been watching them? Or did you get them on DVDs?

panda_eyes

VIP Member
I'm sure I read, ( and it may even be here that I read it, ) that the authentic Marilyn dress would have disintegrated if they moved it so the Kardashian dress is actually a copy of the real thing
She wore the real thing for the photo opportunity and then changed out of it later.

Conservators react to Kim Kardashian in Marilyn Monroe dress - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)

"Kardashian, the Skims shapewear founder, who went blond for the event and ascended the Met’s Grand Staircase along with her boyfriend, Pete Davidson, also said she didn’t initially fit into the dress. She shed 16 pounds for the occasion because she wasn’t allowed to alter the gown and reportedly had to drape a fur stole over the partially fastened zipper. After taking photos in the dress, Kardashian changed into a replica dress for the gala, Ripley’s said, noting that “great care was taken to preserve this piece of history.”

Kardashian also said that armed guards and gloves were required at her fitting.

“With input from garment [conservators], appraisers, archivists, and insurance, the garment’s condition was top priority,” Ripley’s said. “No alterations were made to the dress.”"

Miss Ophelia

VIP Member
It may have already been mentioned here but I love the ‘You Must Remember This’ podcast, it’s all about old Hollywood and there’s some great series on there.

If anyone has any other podcast recommendations like this one I’d love tohear them.
Never listened to podcast as not sure where to get them to listen to them lol. Listening to the moon is a balloon on youtube at present.

sallygsoton

VIP Member
When I was a kid, it seemed like The Harvey Girls was on tv every Sunday afternoon 😂

We always had to watch it because my Mum loved Judy Garland :)

Dollylovesshoes

VIP Member
I’ve just spent an hour catching up on this thread, it’s absolutely brilliant. I’ve not seen them mentioned before but there are two fantastic books by Jackie Ganiy, about old Hollywood murders. They are on kindle unlimited aswelll.
Awww thanks for that.😊

Piff paff puff

VIP Member
What's your opinion on Hedy Lamar career start?
The famous nude scenes in Ecstacy, was she savvy or naiive?
I think she was naiive, as many other actresses at the time were careful to hide any hint of scandal. Though I'm happy for her that it didn't ruin her career before it started.

thegirlscout

VIP Member
Apologies in advance as I know it’s a tad early but apart from White Christmas, It’s A Wonderful Life and Holiday Inn does anyone have any recommendations for old Christmas films? I’m usually not a fan of them, especially the ones you get on Channel 5 as they are too twee but I think when it’s old Hollywood the tweeness adds to it.