Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

FrostyChops

VIP Member
I watched that show about Taylor's photos too. I loved the bit where Joan Collins said something like "in this photo she's looking at the camera and saying fuck you!"

Young stars today are just so bloody bland.
Interesting reference to the casting couch. I don't know that Joan was offered the role of Cleopatra first but l heard Elizabeth didn't really want it to said l will do it for a million, not expecting them to agree.

Reactions: 2

Jaybtee

VIP Member
Did anyone watch This is Joan Collins on iplayer over christmas? Some good old hollywood stories in that

SupermarketSweep

Does anyone have any intel on Mae West being biologically male? I watched a video about it the other day and it seems ridiculous.

• Wow

Piff paff puff

VIP Member
Were her eyes really that blue? I’ve seen some photos where they are really light
View attachment 2368009
and some where they are much darker
View attachment 2368011
---

Had a Google and found this but I don’t think it’s the right one?
That reminds me, I was watching a film she was in, in the early thirties with her then husband William Powell. In his early acting years his speech was particularly English and stretching his words out. It's was truly bizarre because in this film she was doing exactly the same! But ofc she never did this in other films. Powell and Lombard are definitely two of my faves.

TapToBoreMeRigid

VIP Member
yes :( i watched a documentary about the aids crisis (in the context of entertainment and the arts) and seeing all the paparazzi clambering over the ambulance carrying his body from his house to try and get a photo of him was sickening. though his impact was huge, the donations to aids charities apparently doubled in the months after he died.

i love him and doris day together. pillow talk is one of my go-to comfort films.
You are my inspiration...LaBlonde 🎶

• Heart

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
i didn’t realise or know,he and wife ardent lovers of cats they both adored them wrote a book.
I was reading that he left his entire estate to his second wife and his children contested it. She died before it was settled and she left her estate to the religious leader Sathya Sai Baba. The children then had to fight to get Mason's ashes back.

(On a side note, I knew someone who was a follower of Sia Baba. Used to give most of his earnings to him)

• Sad

Dollylovesshoes

VIP Member
There was another actress he worked with in Jailhouse Rock called Judy Tyler. She was one of the 'It' Girls of the day and was known as a singer/actress and dancer. They got close on the set of JR and there are differing stories about whether they fooled around or not. Officially, nothing happened as she was married and he supposedly had a rule for him and the Memphis Mafia about staying away from married women. Those who knew her also denied it saying she only had eyes for her husband but others, including friends of his said something definitely went on.

She was seen as a rising star and many thought she would go on to have a big career, even appearing on the cover of Life Magazine alongside other up-and-coming actresses including Jayne Mansfield. Unfortunately, like Jayne, her life ended in a car accident. A few days after filming for JR ended, she and her husband were driving home from Hollywood to New York and had to swerve to stop hitting a car with a trailer but ended up crashing into another. Judy who was only 24, died instantly with the report being she was split in half. The passenger of the other car died as well, while her husband passed the next day in hospital. When he found out, Elvis was seemingly inconsolable and told a reporter 'Nothing has hurt me as bad in my life.' He couldn't face the funeral and for a while, he was unable to watch the film as it upset him so much. A song was also written about her called Goodbye Little Star.

Thanks Shellie so interested,I see JR soon as it was released a devoted Elvis fan,always have been loved Gracelands,actually really nice but not as big as it seems..☺

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
Anybody remember the 1963 film The Haunting,God it was frightening,then a remake of it called the Haunting of Hill House starred Catherine Zeta Jones,that was quite disturbing but not so atmospheric as original film.
I mentioned it very recently in the Horror Films thread. Richard Johnson was in it.

L3moning

VIP Member
Nepotism has always been a thing, in all walks of life. Even in the area I work in (engineering) it can be an issue in some companies.

I don't think it's any more common than it ever was, really, but people notice it more and also people can do more research into someone, so hiding behind your grandma's maiden name or the studio providing a pseudonym doesn't work.

thegirlscout

VIP Member
yes :( i watched a documentary about the aids crisis (in the context of entertainment and the arts) and seeing all the paparazzi clambering over the ambulance carrying his body from his house to try and get a photo of him was sickening. though his impact was huge, the donations to aids charities apparently doubled in the months after he died.

i love him and doris day together. pillow talk is one of my go-to comfort films.
What was the documentary called?

Bezzzz

Funnily enough I was just reading about It in David Niven’s book.
Knock me down with a feather, I just downloaded the book on my kindle yesterday - following my dads VERY big recommendation (he’s a gangster kind guy but loved this)

Chita

VIP Member
But how did Stan know where to find her?
Where did the pair of tights come from?
How come he was not mentioned before in any of the (many) accounts of her death?
Who witnessed him even being there?

Crazy.

At least in the Marilyn Monroe death there was evidence found that Bobby Kennedy had been in the area.

Who has placed Stan at the scene?

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Not so old Hollywood but there was a good documentary on Sky Arts last night about Burt Reynolds - 'I, Burt Reynolds'.
He always seemed quite cheesy tbh, but came across as a nice man with a good sense of humour. He lost a lot of weight due to constant pain with a broken jaw, and this being around the time of Rock Hudson and AIDS, there were all sorts of rumours swirling around.

Mark81

VIP Member
Hollywood is like a scrubbed up romanticised version though - kinda like looking at how it could’ve been if it hadn’t been so corrupt and awful
With Ryan Murphys latest in favour pretty boys in the cast as normal.

Wouldn't surprise me if stories come out about him at some point.

Hollywood could have been great but it was so disappointing. It didn't need the fictionalised, the real Hollywood was interesting enough