Old Hollywood gossip & stories

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Fascinating video clip! Poor Judy Garland is visibly shaking at one point when the camera pans past all those at the luncheon (at 4:53). Did the MC introduce everyone in that photograph? Must have taken ages.

The MC seemed to *really* like Lena Horne!! (at 1:54).

Half-thinking Buster Keaton pretended to not know which direction to go in (as comedy was his thing), hard to tell! (introduced just after Lena Horne).

Reactions: 1
Saw this on Instagram and thought I’d share!

David O.Selznick (producer of "Gone With The Wind") was the president of the Mayfair Club at the time and asked Carole Lombard to head up the annual ball, as she was known for throwing the best parties in town. As chairman, Lombard chose to make it a white ball where all ladies were asked to wear white gowns, and the men white ties. White flowers of every variety filled the room. Attendees of this elite affair included Clark Gable, Marion Davies, Joan Crawford, Buster Keaton, Barbara Stanwyck, Claudette Colbert, Gloria Swanson, Bing Crosby, and many more. And then Norma Shearer appeared. Shearer, arriving in grand style was quite the sight in a skimpy, bright red dress designed by MGM costume designer Adrian. Lombard was furious and had to be talked out of marching over to Shearer and kicking her out or throwing a drink on that dress. It was then that Lombard delivered a the line: "Who does Norma think she is - the house madam?"

IMG_3604.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15

David O.Selznick (producer of "Gone With The Wind") was the president of the Mayfair Club at the time and asked Carole Lombard to head up the annual ball, as she was known for throwing the best parties in town. As chairman, Lombard chose to make it a white ball where all ladies were asked to wear white gowns, and the men white ties. White flowers of every variety filled the room. Attendees of this elite affair included Clark Gable, Marion Davies, Joan Crawford, Buster Keaton, Barbara Stanwyck, Claudette Colbert, Gloria Swanson, Bing Crosby, and many more. And then Norma Shearer appeared. Shearer, arriving in grand style was quite the sight in a skimpy, bright red dress designed by MGM costume designer Adrian. Lombard was furious and had to be talked out of marching over to Shearer and kicking her out or throwing a drink on that dress. It was then that Lombard delivered a the line: "Who does Norma think she is - the house madam?"

View attachment 2563169
Love that story. It inspired a scene in the Bette Davis film, Jezebel, where Bette’s character rocks up to a White Ball in a red ballgown.

Reactions: 7
Love that story. It inspired a scene in the Bette Davis film, Jezebel, where Bette’s character rocks up to a White Ball in a red ballgown.
Yes! It was from an instagram post which showed the scene. Not seen the film myself.
Here are some more photos from the post!
IMG_3608.jpeg
IMG_3609.jpeg

IMG_3611.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 8
For anyone who likes to read biographies about movie stars there is a book called Lion of Hollywood by Scott Eyman. It’s a biography of Louis B Mayer who co founded MGM Studios.

Reactions: 6

View attachment 2563169
She seemingly had mad parties that everyone loved attending. There was a Roman party where everyone had to wear togas, a 'Hillbilly' theme where she had animals everywhere and the waiting staff were dressed in farm overalls. Once, she even had a hospital-themed event not long after she recovered from the flu where guests were brought to the event in ambulances dressed as doctors and nurses and bedpans were used as plates.

I'm gonna go off on one now so I apologise and feel free to ignore but I have such a soft spot for Carole and even now with all we know, whenever she is talked about, she is often introduced as the wife of Clark even though she had a brilliant career before she even met him and wasn't the 'lucky duck' many thought she was because she had managed to catch him and get his wrong on her finger. Like with Bacall & Bogart of Hepburn & Tracy, the truth was a lot different to what many believed and since this is a thread for old Hollywood and gossip then I figure it's a good place to moan lol.

Carole grew up with brothers and their friends so had quite a mouth on her unlike many other actresses of the time and some said she could even make a docker blush with the kind of stuff she came out with which fittingly earned her the nickname Profane Angel. Years before she got with Clark, they appeared in their only film together called No Man Of Her Own. She always gave other actors presents at the end of filming and her present to Clark was a huge ham with his face on it as she saw him as stuffy and needing to chill out.

They were so opposite that when it was found out they were together, it surprised many. He was a Republican who looked down on most saying you should make your own way in the world which was hilarious considering he was only where he got to because he had married two older wealthy women who paid to sculpt him into the 'King' he became. Carole on the other hand was a Democrat who came from a well-off family but took after her mother who taught her that if you can help someone then you should. There were many stories about her giving people money and help over the years and asking for nothing in return. She was the one who had the change her ways rather than them both doing it...an example is, when they got together, the parties she threw tapered off until they stopped altogether as he was never keen. She also learnt how to fish, hunt and do other things so she would have something in common with him and she did end up enjoying and becoming good at it but he gave very little back to her.

I think he did love her but not even for Carole could he stop the cheating she knew this and put up with it for the most part but on occasion when she heard he was getting too close to another woman and it was becoming more than just casual sex, she would get involved and put her foot down and on occasion even appeared on the sets and made it clear she knew and it was going to stop. Even the trip she was on when she died was down to them getting into an argument and him walking out and refusing to talk to her. Not wanting to let them down, she decided to go instead and for the majority of the trip tried to get in touch but he continued to ignore her and when she heard he was carrying on with Lana Turner on set, she figured out why all the arguments and silences were about before she left as this had happened before and did all she could to get back to LA and well we all know how that turned out...😥

The pictures of him at the bottom of the mountain where she and the others perished and at the funeral were likely because he was heartbroken but they were also because he was full of guilt knowing the only reason Carole, her mother and his agent and friend Otto were on the plane was because of him. More than likely, if she had survived, they would have split and gone their own ways. Nostalgics say they were the loves of each other's lives but that was never really true. Carole's real love was the singer Russ Columbo who had died years in a gun accident and after his death, she said if he had lived, they would have married and for Clark, it was always Joan Crawford but they were too alike to be together properly but carried on their thing on and off until he died in 1960.

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 24
Elizabeth Taylor with her brother Howard, who was an oceanography professor at Hawaii University.
They have the same eyes.

Screenshot_20231112_141521.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I wonder if he got the same colour and the double eyelashes too?
She had a condition called distichiasis I believe (or there is thought that this is why she had such thick eyelashes). I wonder if she got any of the bad side effects from this condition such as eyelashes growing into her eyes. On Google images it looks very painful!
Found some photos of him from when he was younger. He only died a few years ago at the age of 91!

IMG_3655.jpeg
IMG_3652.jpeg
IMG_3653.jpeg
IMG_3654.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 13