Old Hollywood gossip & stories

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Some photos of Angelina Jolie filming as Maria Callas. Have these convinced any Maria Callas fans we have here she’s the right fit? Or will you be waiting to see the film to judge?
IMG_3238.jpeg
IMG_3239.jpeg
IMG_3240.jpeg
IMG_3241.jpeg
IMG_3242.jpeg

Reactions: 1
Does this count as ‘old Hollywood’ or would it be Hollywood adjacent? I don’t know this lady but I was wondering what people think of Angelina Jolie playing her? One small photo has been released but it looks like Angelina is just wearing large glasses? From the photographs Maria Callas had a larger more pointy (? Sorry terrible at describing this) but they seemingly haven’t used prosthetics so Angelina looks just like Angelina.
Think they got Maria mixed up with Nana Mouskouri!

I would definitely recommend reading her biography

• Haha
Reactions: 5
As a huge Callas fan I don’t have much faith tbh. I immediately messaged a friend when I heard / saw the pics and we both agreed it’s not a good fit. Looks wise there’s zero resemblance and I don’t think she s a robust enough actress to pull off such a weighty role. Its about the end of her life also so she would definitely have had a very distinctive look and manner. Gaga immediately came to mind as someone who at least had the profile.

Reactions: 8
So my sunset boulevard dvd arrived today I’m so looking forward to watching i, I will give an honest review when done I can’t wait 😛

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Regarding Angelina Jolie playing Maria Callas, I think there has maybe some confusion on here between impersonating and playing a role (acting). A photo or two may show whether an impersonation is accurate but can give no idea about how well a role is being acted. . Angelina may or may not prove to be rubbish in the role, but let's wait until the film comes out.

Reactions: 8
Probably a naff comparison but Michael Douglas absolutely nailed Liberace's mannerisms, voice and general flamboyant air (as well as his steely mercenary nature, mixed with superficial charm) in Behind The Candleabra, so let's give Angelina a chance in the role. Personally I'm looking forward to it (I'm a sucker for these celebrity biopics: absolutely loved Feud - about Joan Crawford and Bette Davis, though I'm well aware a lot of it was dramatised. Let's not even discuss Blonde, which was a travesty and an insult to Marilyn).

AJ is pretty much demonised by the press as the "baddie" in the Angelina / Brad marriage (and Brad's split from Jennifer Aniston) but I'm not sure if it's everyday sexism (as usual) or whether she simply is scheming and manipulative.

Probably a bit like Johnny and Amber, likely as bad as each other.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Two biopics that shouldn't work but did (imo) were Kurt Russell as Elvis and Gary Busey as Buddy Holly.
Photographic stills don't convey if the actor has captured the essence of the person.

Obviously it’s not an impersonation it’s a film therefore she s acting. My point anyway was I didn’t think she was talented enough to pull off a role of such weight esp when the character she’s playing is so distinctive not only physically but personality wise also. Maria was Greek. It’s distinctive in character and look esp in the profile as it’s how she held herself. I’m not sure Angelina has the chops.

Reactions: 4
As a huge Callas fan I don’t have much faith tbh. I immediately messaged a friend when I heard / saw the pics and we both agreed it’s not a good fit. Looks wise there’s zero resemblance and I don’t think she s a robust enough actress to pull off such a weighty role. Its about the end of her life also so she would definitely have had a very distinctive look and manner. Gaga immediately came to mind as someone who at least had the profile.
like others have said, sometimes you can immerse yourself in a movie I find and sort of forget the lack of obvious resemblance if the actor can capture the essence of the person?

I remember when Emma Corrin was doing the press promo for the Crown and I just couldn’t see any resemblance whatsoever.. but when I watched it she has really captured Diana’s mannerisms in a way that meant I could easily suspend disbelief

These are the platforms Humphrey Bogart had to wear on his shoes during Casablanca, as the height difference between him and Ingrid Bergmann was so great.

Screenshot_20231024_050052.jpg

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 28
I think Alan Ladd’s opposite leads had to stand in a ditch. I think my dad told me that!

Reactions: 4