Old Hollywood gossip & stories

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
a lovely watch for my fellow musical fans 😭

he sings it beautifully; i wonder why they chose to dub him in the film (though i know he’s also not the first actor that happened to).

on a side note: captain von trapp 🥵🥵
When I was younger, during school holidays when I was on my own, I would watch The Sound of Music on loop. Could watch it 2 or 3 times a day. Absolutely my favourite film. One day when I was about 18 I suddenly saw Captain Von Trapp in a totally different light :love::love: What an awakening.

Gene Tierney was mentioned on this thread ... absolutely stunning picture of her came up on my timeline.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
When I was younger, during school holidays when I was on my own, I would watch The Sound of Music on loop. Could watch it 2 or 3 times a day. Absolutely my favourite film. One day when I was about 18 I suddenly saw Captain Von Trapp in a totally different light :love::love: What an awakening.

Gene Tierney was mentioned on this thread ... absolutely stunning picture of her came up on my timeline.

Beautiful.❤
---
Back in the fifties I was a youngen I loved film books remember those?loads of pics of the stars..I loved them,I could kill myself I kept them till a few years ago and gave them away,why oh why did I do that.🥴I reckon they could have been worth a few Bob nowdays.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Film on this Thursday 3.10 pm on Talking Pictures 1939 film Loretta Young and David Niven Eternally Yours.

Also keep an eye on TP,some BBC Ghost stories this month ,one is the John Hurt Whistle a and I will come to you,although I preferred the original that was very scary I thought starred Michael Hordern.

Reactions: 8

I loved TSOM as well. Whenever I went to my nan's, it was always ready for me to put on and I would sit and watch it all the way through. They would joke that a bomb could hit and I wouldn't look away and it was probably true. It went missing one day and they could never find it. I only found out a few years back my mum had binned it as they were sick of me singing...or should I say trying to sing along.

• Heart
Reactions: 4

he sings it beautifully; i wonder why they chose to dub him in the film (though i know he’s also not the first actor that happened to).

The video quality is so good in that clip! I think Bill Lee is a better singer but there is a charm about Christopher Plumber’s singing.

This scene with Captain von Trapp 😳

IMG_4303.gif

• Heart
Reactions: 5

Lovely! Thank you for sharing ♥
---
I loved TSOM as well. Whenever I went to my nan's, it was always ready for me to put on and I would sit and watch it all the way through. They would joke that a bomb could hit and I wouldn't look away and it was probably true. It went missing one day and they could never find it. I only found out a few years back my mum had binned it as they were sick of me singing...or should I say trying to sing along.
I loved it too! My late Mum took me to see it at the cinema 4 times (y)

The 1st time we saw it, the cinema had a new curtain across the stage (remember those days??), it was yellow and sparkling and 5 year old me thought it was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen...

I was absolutely convinced Julie Andrews had chosen it especially for showing her film! 😂

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
I did not recognise this famous actor at all - he is gorgeous.
From a 1930s film with actress Sylvia Sydney.

Screenshot_20231207_224410.jpg

Gary Cooper

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 21
Sorry if this has been mentioned already; has anyone watched the ITV drama Archie, about Cary Grant? Is it worth a watch?

Reactions: 3
If any body’s interested

This week finds us rekindling the spine-tingling spirit of Christmas as we resurrect the BBC's classic A Ghost Story for Christmas series, an eerie journey that begins with The Stalls of Barchester on Monday at 8.35pm, first broadcast on Christmas Eve 1971 and featuring Robert Hardy, Clive Swift and Thelma Barlow. In this adaptation of M.R. James’ short story, a mysterious box in the old library of Barchester Cathedral reveals the strange story of a former archdeacon.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
If any body’s interested

This week finds us rekindling the spine-tingling spirit of Christmas as we resurrect the BBC's classic A Ghost Story for Christmas series, an eerie journey that begins with The Stalls of Barchester on Monday at 8.35pm, first broadcast on Christmas Eve 1971 and featuring Robert Hardy, Clive Swift and Thelma Barlow. In this adaptation of M.R. James’ short story, a mysterious box in the old library of Barchester Cathedral reveals the strange story of a former archdeacon.
Thanks so much for posting this.

Reactions: 1
If any body’s interested

Ooh thank you. I've become slightly obsessed with Robert Hardy since rewatching the original All Creatures Great and Small series on Drama.
Such a good actor.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Sorry if this has been mentioned already; has anyone watched the ITV drama Archie, about Cary Grant? Is it worth a watch?
Tried to, but couldn't bear it, I'm too infatuated with Cary grant and happy to read his autobiography but watching someone playing him I couldn't do

Reactions: 4
If any body’s interested

What channel is it on, please? Can’t see it on the BBC.

Reactions: 1