Old Hollywood gossip & stories

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I enjoyed The mystery of Marilyn Monroe, the unheard tapes on netflix. Tapes recorded by Anthony Summers. Overlapped with vintage footage. Anthony concluded he thought it was an accidental or deliberate suicide.
i really enjoyed that too. His theory on Bobby Kennedy being present kinda made it all make sense. It was very credible I think. And he got access to some amazing witnesses. Jeanne Martin for one gave some fascinating insight.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
@thegirlscout posted this in the Secret Celeb thread but I thought it would be nice in here too .... Happy Birthday Sister Suffragette !!
Great call! Should have posted here first haha!

Love her in ‘While You Were Sleeping’. I’ve only seen her in two roles (the other being Mary Poppins). Does anyone have any recommendations for me?

I read that she hasn’t done interviews for several years but here is a short one for celebrate her 100th birthday. She’s still got the humour and speaks well for someone in their 100th year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
It's nuts the obsession some Americans have with being Irish, all while thinking we're some cute backwards nation, and acting like they're here to save our economy with their dad jeans when they visit as tourists. If you're born in American you're American, possible with irish ancestors. I did love being told while in America that I couldn't be Irish as my name wasn't an Irish name, whereas their name was....and so they were Irish.
Some Americans of Irish descent have odd ideas about Ireland while forgetting their grandparents left the auld sod for a good reason.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Some Americans of Irish descent have odd ideas about Ireland while forgetting their grandparents left the auld sod for a good reason.
We get them in Scotland too. They do get confused with all our Asian Scots, Polish Scots, Italian Scots etc being considered more Scots than them - well, they were born here and your lot haven't been for two hundred years! Yes, we do have electricity and internet; who do you think provided the engineers worldwide for many decades (a Scottish engineer in Star Trek was no mistake!)?

I only know one guy in the USA (with an Italian surname) who makes a big deal about being Irish but he's close enough to be able to claim an Irish passport (mother born in the Republic).

I remember hearing something about how the press adored Jayne Mansfield she had a special room in her house ( the pink one that Engelbert Humperdinck bought ) just for the press with food and drinks and every so often she scamper in and let them take photos and have a laugh and joke with them.
If this is true and I hope it is she was pretty canny thinking about it, look after them and they look after you.

Reactions: 8
Loving reading this thread.

I was quite a precocious child and read lots of books on old Hollywood when I was a teenager. You have taken me down memory lane.

The David Niven books, amusing and entertaining, are rumoured to be much embellished for entertainment. His second wife was horrendous to him though, Roger Moore’s autobiography is well worth a read and he covers it.

They periodically show old Parkinson episodes. Saw a couple recently - he was interviewing Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon on separate shows. Spoke about Marilyn. It was well known she was a nightmare to film with. Both said they had no surprise when she died, it was inevitable, she had an air of sadness and fragility about her. They hinted she was known to be mentally unwell.

I love seeing old Niven interviews on Parky too. Urbane and amusing, not many around like that now.

I once had a Saturday job in a shop as a teenager- served Christopher Walken - odd alien like character. Also served Richard Harris. Odd clothes, included those checked chef trousers.

Oliver Reed - mesmerising but a git. He also began the affair with his last wife when she was 16 and he was 42. Creepy.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Audrey Hepburns original vocals on My fair lady. I don't think she's bad at all, especially when you compare to what we get in movie musicals these days

Jeremy Brett...what a voice ♥
---
Anybody remember the 1963 film The Haunting,God it was frightening,then a remake of it called the Haunting of Hill House starred Catherine Zeta Jones,that was quite disturbing but not so atmospheric as original film.
Great film. Terrified me when I was younger ♥

Reactions: 3
Not really Old Hollywood. But interesting photo. Why does baby Al look so strange?
His parents were both gorgeous.
Al Pacino and parents - 1940.

Screenshot_20231013_032115.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Does this count as ‘old Hollywood’ or would it be Hollywood adjacent? I don’t know this lady but I was wondering what people think of Angelina Jolie playing her? One small photo has been released but it looks like Angelina is just wearing large glasses? From the photographs Maria Callas had a larger more pointy (? Sorry terrible at describing this) but they seemingly haven’t used prosthetics so Angelina looks just like Angelina.

Reactions: 4
Does this count as ‘old Hollywood’ or would it be Hollywood adjacent? I don’t know this lady but I was wondering what people think of Angelina Jolie playing her? One small photo has been released but it looks like Angelina is just wearing large glasses? From the photographs Maria Callas had a larger more pointy (? Sorry terrible at describing this) but they seemingly haven’t used prosthetics so Angelina looks just like Angelina.
Another lady under the influence of that Greek millionaire ,nasty old git I think.

i love maria callas (another tragic life, stage mother, used to play two or three roles at once, waiting for onassis, cast aside for jackie, absolutely destroyed her voice through poor technique) - though angelina looks nothing like her to me. callas had much stronger features and i guess a stereotypically greek sort of look.

i know monica bellucci has long wanted to play her and she would have been a better fit imo.

Reactions: 10
i love maria callas (another tragic life, stage mother, used to play two or three roles at once, waiting for onassis, cast aside for jackie, absolutely destroyed her voice through poor technique) - though angelina looks nothing like her to me. callas had much stronger features and i guess a stereotypically greek sort of look.

i know monica bellucci has long wanted to play her and she would have been a better fit imo.
Also his daughter,god what she knew.🙁

• Sad
Reactions: 4

I wish they had gone with a different actress, someone with the same features as her. They are part of her ‘look’ and what made her stand out. I need to read more about her.
---
Also his daughter,god what she knew.🙁
Do you mean Christina? She died young I believe

Reactions: 5
I wish they had gone with a different actress, someone with the same features as her. They are part of her ‘look’ and what made her stand out. I need to read more about her.

Do you mean Christina? She died young I believe
Agree that it would have been better with someone with those kind of strong features. I think Lady Gaga would probably make a better Callas than Angelina.

Onassis was a horrible man to everyone around him, including his daughter. She had a really sad life, when her brother died she became her father's sole heir, men mostly wanted her for her money, she was always pressured to lose weight even though she wasn't that fat to start with. She eventually got married and had a baby but it didn't last as her husband was shagging someone else. She was 38 when she died and her daughter Athina was only 3. Athina does seem to have had a better life away from the spotlight, hopefully she's happier than her mum even was.

Sorry gone a bit off topic for old Hollywood! Although bringing it back round, talking of heiresses and their unhappy lives reminds me of Barbara Hutton, the Woolworths heiress referred to as Poor Little Rich Girl, who was Cary Grants second wife. She had a huge fortune yet so was almost broke when she died in her 60s. That level of wealth rarely seems to bring happiness.

• Sad
Reactions: 11
I think GaGa would be perfect, if going with a non-Greek star. She looks quite like her and has a good voice; I think it wouldn’t‘ve taken that much to have her classically trained.

i like Angelina, but not for Callas.

Ooh yes Monica Bellucci would be good as Maria Callas. Or maybe Penelope Cruz?

Screenshot_20231015_021803.jpg

Reactions: 12