Old Hollywood gossip & stories

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Singin in the rain gets a lot of love, but for me On The Town is up there too

Reactions: 3
I haven’t got ig but I remember film and love it..

Ages ago a poster posted fabulous books by Richard Sellers I loaded em down to Kindle app on iPad,I loved it,there is a new one called 1971 it’s about 70’s films..i reckon all the juicy bits etc.Just bern released.

Reactions: 1
100%. I love gene Kelly, such am amazing dancer and so charismatic. A masculine dancer too. Plus, so hot! Haha
---
Ahhh Gene Kelly in The Pirate. Such an underrated movie...plus...

View attachment 2432069View attachment 2432070View attachment 2432071View attachment 2432076View attachment 2432078View attachment 2432079
Thighs like a racehorse.
---
Always preferred Astaire to Kelly. More graceful vs muscular athletic. However he did distract a lot with his freakishly long fingers.
Also went off Kelly a little when he appeared on Parkinson and said with apparent genuine apprehension that he was frightened how he’d be received by a British audience being Irish. Still adore his films though. Singing in the Rain is one of those films that if it comes on you can’t turn it off. Always a sign of greatness.
*he = Astaire.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Funny face and The Band Wagon on bbc2 this afternoon so should be on iplayer this week

Thighs like a racehorse.
---
Always preferred Astaire to Kelly. More graceful vs muscular athletic. However he did distract a lot with his freakishly long fingers.
Also went off Kelly a little when he appeared on Parkinson and said with apparent genuine apprehension that he was frightened how he’d be received by a British audience being Irish. Still adore his films though. Singing in the Rain is one of those films that if it comes on you can’t turn it off. Always a sign of greatness.
*he = Astaire.
i love them both in different ways but absolutely agree re fred. he was so graceful and i think maybe a better and more giving dance partner than gene. i have seen top hat in particular a crazy amount of times 🤣

i love him with rita hayworth. i think she was always his favourite lady to dance with and they’re so beautiful together.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Fred had a grace about him in a very traditional way.

Gene was more experimental, full blooded.

Brilliant in their own ways, but quite different. I generally prefer Genes films though. I can't think of a Fred film I really like and rewatch a lot.

Reactions: 5
Fun fact about On the Town.
Frank Sinatra was so skinny he had to wear false buttocks to fill out his sailor suit 😂

FS is my weakness. I know he could be a horrible person and ruthless. I know there are true bad stories about him but I'll always love his voice and just the whole glamour of that era. It's that shallow 😂

Reactions: 11
My favourite quote about Frank Sinatra came from his wife at the time Ava Gardner. When a reporter asked what she saw in skinny Sinatra, Gardner breezily replied, "he may be only 119lb, but 19lbs of that is cock"!

c96002dd097e09d7a0bce160d1713420_w200.gif

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 22
Is it in Guys and Dolls that he gets on a weighing scale and it actually goes down?

I even like Frank in Young at Heart.

Audrey Hepburns original vocals on My fair lady. I don't think she's bad at all, especially when you compare to what we get in movie musicals these days

• Heart
Thighs like a racehorse.
---
*he = Astaire.
Apart from the fact he was not Irish. He was of Irish decent and that was from a grandparent. Even then Brits would have just regarded him as American.

Apart from the fact he was not Irish. He was of Irish decent and that was from a grandparent. Even then Brits would have just regarded him as American.
i think the point is more that he, like so many americans, believed himself to be irish though. i’ve met plenty who will describe themselves as irish even if it’s from a great great great grandparent 🤣 william baldwin described himself as an “irishman” in his danny masterson letter recently too. it’s mad.

Reactions: 9
i think the point is more that he, like so many americans, believed himself to be irish though. i’ve met plenty who will describe themselves as irish even if it’s from a great great great grandparent 🤣 william baldwin described himself as an “irishman” in his danny masterson letter recently too. it’s mad.
It's nuts the obsession some Americans have with being Irish, all while thinking we're some cute backwards nation, and acting like they're here to save our economy with their dad jeans when they visit as tourists. If you're born in American you're American, possible with irish ancestors. I did love being told while in America that I couldn't be Irish as my name wasn't an Irish name, whereas their name was....and so they were Irish.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
It's a particularly American thing. I've always assumed it's because they don't really have their own history. It's still a relatively new country.

Reactions: 10
It's nuts the obsession some Americans have with being Irish, all while thinking we're some cute backwards nation, and acting like they're here to save our economy with their dad jeans when they visit as tourists. If you're born in American you're American, possible with irish ancestors. I did love being told while in America that I couldn't be Irish as my name wasn't an Irish name, whereas their name was....and so they were Irish.
Americans seem to fall into one of two categories, Irish or Italian, when really they are neither.

Reactions: 12
Americans seem to fall into one of two categories, Irish or Italian, when really they are neither.
My dear uncle from Georgia my aunt was married to,his descendants dated back to England he was so proud.He loved England stationed here late fifties early sixties.Loved our sense of humour.

Reactions: 6
Audrey Hepburns original vocals on My fair lady. I don't think she's bad at all, especially when you compare to what we get in movie musicals these days

It was the same with Ava Gardener when she was in Showboat. She did the songs but they got someone else to dub her even though her vocals were fine.

• Heart
Surprised Marilyn Monroe hasn’t been brought up yet. Any thoughts on her mysterious death?
Frank Sinatra always said he knew who it was and would give the names on his deathbed apparently he did, two members of the mafia an ordered hit but he never said who ordered it

Frank Sinatra always said he knew who it was and would give the names on his deathbed apparently he did, two members of the mafia an ordered hit but he never said who ordered it
The fact her diary which had a lot of information about the guys she had been with/pillow talk, disappeared from the house and was never found makes me believe it was someone important...likely one of the Kennedys.

Reactions: 6