Odd Neighbours / Neighbour Problems

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
couldn't you report them for the smoking? if it is rented technically it is illegal for them to smoke cigarettes inside as far as I am aware (let alone anything illegal)
No it’s not, if the building permits smoking it is up to the landlords discretion and tenancy agreement. Smoking weed is illegal regardless of ownership but I’ve tried to have the police deal with it (I work in property) and frankly unless they are dealing they don’t have the capacity to deal with it. Worth raising it with your landlord or at the AGM though.

• Wow
Reactions: 2
Dehumidifiers are really good for getting rid of nasty smells. We had a problem with condensation that made a bedroom smell fusty and the dehumidifier really helped with both. Maybe it would help with the room that smells of weed?

Reactions: 4
Bad neighbours can really destroy you living somewhere. We bight our first house about 11 years ago. The guy we bought from was a single mid 30s. On his forms to solicitors he declared there had been an issue with a previous neighbour regarding noise but since the new couple had moved in there had been no problems. It was a fairly new build semi, very thin walls.

We move in and all is fine. We never planned it to be our forever home, but we knew we would start a family there. The couple next door seemed fine, but one day they moved out and the house was empty. A few weeks later, a guy comes to the house and seems to be living there. We pop round to say hello and introduce ourselves. He seemed nice, military man and said he was away alot and tends to be home for a few weeks at a time and sometimes weekends. He has been renting the house out before but decided to use it himself again.

We had a few weeks where everything was fine. Then the music started. At first we weren't fussed, thought he would be winding down and it was a one off. It got louder and worse each day. Our walls would be shaking and it went on past midnight. We went round the next morning and politely said it wasn't really acceptable, he was great - really understanding and apologised.

I fell pregnant with our first baby and was struggling with pregnancy. I was trying to rest and the music was unbearable, this was about 11pm at night. Partner went round and invited the guy round, told him to sit in our lounge and listen how loud it was. He was apologetic again and we thought things would improve.

Had our baby and he went away for a while, assuming work related. It was bliss. Then he came back and it got worse. I went round one morning with the baby and explained that I really didn't want to be a moaner but if he could just turn it down a bit and that I know the walls are thin and he might hear our baby crying etc and I didnt want to be a hypocrite in that sense. He invited me in, had a chat with me and even showed me some renovation work he was doing on the house. I left thinking this it it, I've turned a corner with him. The next day, music was even louder. He even went out and left it on one day. It was horrendous and I would honestly say it ruined my maternity leave. I would find any excuse to go out and spent so much time away from the house. I spent days in tears to my mum because I hated where we lived because of him. My partner would get so cross because of how I was feeling. No word of a lie, if i hear certain songs now that he would play on repeat I get anxious or if I hear bassy music it takes me back, even 8 years on.

In the end we put the house up for sale. We had lived there for 3 years. We sold it within a month and bought a detached. I wouldn't even entertain viewing a semi. I bloody love our house now and that we have no chance of bassy music blaring through our walls. And when we had our second baby, i relished my maternity leave being able to stay at home and not be on edge.
I really feel your pain about loud neighbours. Mine are so loud with arguing and music. It’s always at the same time as well (from 7pm onwards). I dread it. It’s the same songs as well - Bob Marley full blast! One of his songs came on the radio the other day and I had to turn it off! It’s that loud I can hear the Alexa it’s playing on voice. I’ve been working from home since March and when it gets to the evening, I want to put my laptop away and chill. I watch TV in bed most nights and I have to sit there with wireless headphones on connected to the TV so I don’t have to listen to the music/arguing. Council won’t do anything even though I’ve complained and spoke to a housing officer. It’s a living hell. I’d definitely consider a detached house if I ever bought or moved.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
I really feel your pain about loud neighbours. Mine are so loud with arguing and music. It’s always at the same time as well (from 7pm onwards). I dread it. It’s the same songs as well - Bob Marley full blast! One of his songs came on the radio the other day and I had to turn it off! It’s that loud I can hear the Alexa it’s playing on voice. I’ve been working from home since March and when it gets to the evening, I want to put my laptop away and chill. I watch TV in bed most nights and I have to sit there with wireless headphones on connected to the TV so I don’t have to listen to the music/arguing. Council won’t do anything even though I’ve complained and spoke to a housing officer. It’s a living hell. I’d definitely consider a detached house if I ever bought or moved.
You can get cheap soundproofing boards and just nail them to the walls yourself. You could try that and take them down when you move.
I would also advise anyone about living in a property where the doors are facing each other with no fence. You need a fence otherwise people take the piss with parking and with deliveries/workmen etc.

Reactions: 3
We let it become repossed. We couldn't afford rent and the mortgage and we could not sell it. We had tried a few times before we fled and they we all come out in the street, shouting obscenities, lobbing beer cans etc...even when we moved out they tried paying the removal firm to tell them where we were moving to.
That was 9 years ago now and they never came after the debt. As far as we're aware (through Experian) about 40k has been written off and the house was sold via auction.
It's affected me so badly that I can't look at pictures that show that house, my children were born there but all I can remember is the anxiety, stress and frustration. I can't even drive past it.
Oh my word, you have my wholehearted sympathy. No wonder you're traumatised. It really should be a criminal offence to drive someone from their own home. It sounds like they were actually stalking you! I hope you found somewhere you can live how you want to now and enjoy your life in peace.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I never realised there were so many people here that had rubbish neighbours, I hope some of u can take some comfort in knowing we aren’t alone.
It’s really hard having aggressive neighbours, I get anxiety about it, just driving in to the street and seeing their car gives me anxiety.
Our awful neighbour rent their house, we own it, but the landlord doesn’t care. I should add that he isn’t even a landlord, he isn’t on the register, he just lets them live there and they pay the money to him each month.
However I do plan on moving in about 3 years, enough time to sort out my credit rating (been a long journey there but will get there in the end) or we would have moved sooner. Shame as it’s a nice place we live it.
I hope u r all ok though, some of these stories r awful x

• Sad
Reactions: 10
I never realised there were so many people here that had rubbish neighbours, I hope some of u can take some comfort in knowing we aren’t alone.
It’s really hard having aggressive neighbours, I get anxiety about it, just driving in to the street and seeing their car gives me anxiety.
Our awful neighbour rent their house, we own it, but the landlord doesn’t care. I should add that he isn’t even a landlord, he isn’t on the register, he just lets them live there and they pay the money to him each month.
However I do plan on moving in about 3 years, enough time to sort out my credit rating (been a long journey there but will get there in the end) or we would have moved sooner. Shame as it’s a nice place we live it.
Yeah, I thought I was just unlucky but the amount of way worse stories than mine has been shocking. Could you report him if he isn't registered?

Reactions: 1
Yeah, I thought I was just unlucky but the amount of way worse stories than mine has been shocking. Could you report him if he isn't registered?
I doubt it would make a difference to be honest,I have contacted the council about them before but they weren’t interested though I didn’t realise at this point that their “landlord” wasn’t registered.
I will mention it to the police though the next time they are involved. I think they are just very jealous people, throw steroid use and an anger problem in to that mix aswell 🙄 they must live very sad lives, very bitter people. We get on with the rest of our neighbours and have a good relationship with everyone and I think that annoys them to x

• Sad
Reactions: 3
When you sell up, report that rogue landlord. If he's not going to play by the rules he doesn't deserve the money. Report him to rent smart 👊

• Heart
When you sell up, report that rogue landlord. If he's not going to play by the rules he doesn't deserve the money. Report him to rent smart 👊
Oh I will be. I don’t know what smart rent is though, I will have to look that up. Thanks xx

We moved into a flat in a manison block on a resedential street in january so we don't know many neighbours. Walking to and from the little tesco we sometimes use i always noticed an old lady sitting by her window as if watching the world go by. During lockdown and on the way to the shops I thought I'd check on her so I walked up her path to ask if she needed anything. She smiled and thanked me but said she was fine. I told her I would making macaroni cheese that evening and asked if she'd like some. She said ooh yes please. I also thought it would be nice to repeat the offer during lockdown. I dropped off a two portion tupperware of MC that evening. The following day she knocked on the window as I walked by. She gave me the tupperware back with most of the MC still in it and said 'sorry love its too bland for my taste, you need a bit of paprika or garlic in it'

Now even tho I like both of those things when I make MC I just want simply that - macaroni with three cheeses and no additions. She's seen me walk by him in doors a few time and she added 'you'll not keep hold of a handsome fella like that if you feed him shite like that' 😳 She then had the cheek to ask if I would pick her up a newspaper and a loaf of bread. I couldn't refuse but since then we take a different route walking to the local shops. Talk about ungrateful.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 53
I wish these kind of people could be removed from society. Seriously they do nothing to enhance anyone’s life, all they do is bleed money from taxpayers, ride roughshod over everyone and scream about their “effing rights” when it suits them to do so. They should be sterilised/castrated, or better still, put down! 😩

They still ask the same question in the seller’s pack. I recently sold my house and this question came up. I was able to answer honestly, because I have never had any disputes with neighbours, noisy yes, but no disagreements with them.

But, I wouldn’t want to fall out with neighbours for many reasons. 1) You have to live in close proximity and living beside each other with a hostile atmosphere hanging over you is stressful enough. 2) You have to declare it on any legal form when you move.

So I am very careful about disagreements with neighbours.

Some neighbours really don’t deserve a roof over their heads because of the way they treat others around them. 😩
Im moving house this week and there's been no questions in sellers packs about neighbours. Hope my new ones are ok

Reactions: 1
We moved into a flat in a manison block on a resedential street in january so we don't know many neighbours. Walking to and from the little tesco we sometimes use i always noticed an old lady sitting by her window as if watching the world go by. During lockdown and on the way to the shops I thought I'd check on her so I walked up her path to ask if she needed anything. She smiled and thanked me but said she was fine. I told her I would making macaroni cheese that evening and asked if she'd like some. She said ooh yes please. I also thought it would be nice to repeat the offer during lockdown. I dropped off a two portion tupperware of MC that evening. The following day she knocked on the window as I walked by. She gave me the tupperware back with most of the MC still in it and said 'sorry love its too bland for my taste, you need a bit of paprika or garlic in it'

Now even tho I like both of those things when I make MC I just want simply that - macaroni with three cheeses and no additions. She's seen me walk by him in doors a few time and she added 'you'll not keep hold of a handsome fella like that if you feed him shite like that' 😳 She then had the cheek to ask if I would pick her up a newspaper and a loaf of bread. I couldn't refuse but since then we take a different route walking to the local shops. Talk about ungrateful.
Omg I’m sat here proper gobsmacked at that - the actual AUDACITY of some people!!!!!!!! I’d have told her where to shove her newspaper, or better shoved it up there myself. What a cow!

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Omg I’m sat here proper gobsmacked at that - the actual AUDACITY of some people!!!!!!!! I’d have told her where to shove her newspaper, or better shoved it up there myself. What a cow!
i actually think this is the most shocking thing I have read here! Also wtf was stopping her from adding paprika?! does anyone add garlic to macaroni cheese?? I think I would have been really passive aggressive and got her horrible bread and a newspaper i know she doesn't read :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 11

When I'm an old lady in the not too distant future I want to be this level of savage🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 this is brilliant

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
She might have some type of dementia or cognitive decline? sometimes when elderly people have these they have no filter/social skills or she could just be rude and nasty. You don't have paprika and garlic in macaroni cheese. She was after a curry or a Hungarian dish by the sound of it.

She might have some type of dementia or cognitive decline? sometimes when elderly people have these they have no filter/social skills or she could just be rude and nasty. You don't have paprika and garlic in macaroni cheese. She was after a curry or a Hungarian dish by the sound of it.
She just sounds rude. I checked in on an elderly neighbour just before lockdown and wish I hadn't bothered.. it's like he was seriously offended and upset I'd asked if he was ok. I asked the whole street and not just him. I was just trying to be kind. Won't bother again.

Reactions: 8
It is normally worded something like this, “have there been any disputes with neighbours” or words to that effect.
I thought it meant legal disputes over land etc. I assume loads of people move because of their neighbours and probably don't disclose it

I thought it meant legal disputes over land etc. I assume loads of people move because of their neighbours and probably don't disclose it
I almost did a formal complaint about my neighbours to the group that manages our block (it is literally just a form detailing the issues/dates etc, nothing legal asfar as I am aware), but in the end I didn't as I was informed this would be something I would have to inform any buyer about if I sell. Not sure if it is different for different places though

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.