Odd Neighbours / Neighbour Problems

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve got a cracker 🤣 sorry long story here -

We moved into our house about 18 months ago and when we first moved a neighbor across from us mentioned we should watch out for our immediate next door neighbor (semi detached) and that the lady who owned the property before us had a whole host of issues with her and had bought it as an investment to be an air bnb but due to problems with the neighbor decided to just sell it on (and we bought it). We decided to not take much notice and had always found her very polite to us albeit a bit too chatty.
Fast forward to a year later, this summer, we spent a lot of time in our garden which was just all stone gravel and our next door neighbor was always out in her garden (she’s retired) the boundary wall between us has a waist height stone wall so we couldn’t go outside without having a 30 min convo with her which I know sounds trivial but not being able to go and just read a book or listen to a podcast in peace or when you have friends over and she’s just there it began to feel quite intrusive. We had planned on doing so anyway but decided to do our garden up put in decking, plants and grass and also a higher fence on our side of the boundary to give us some privacy.
We told her of our plans beforehand but kept what we were actually doing vague as she is very nosey.
Once we actually started to get the work done and put up the fence etc she stopped talking to us and ignoring us if we passed and waved then one day I met her on a walk and she said she wasn’t happy with what we had done to our garden and she’s annoyed that there’s now a fence up blocking her view (of our garden, nothing else!) so I just explained it wasn’t personal it was just because we wanted a nice garden we could enjoy and wanted a bit of extra privacy. Throughout the rest of the work she either got a ladder and went up onto her garage and looked in on what was being done or we saw her watching from her window inside. She would come out and make comments on what we were doing as well and then wanted to paint a fence that’s got nothing to do with her is an the opposite side of our garden as she had painted it every year for the past 20 years 🙈 saying she has access to our garden and making up some lies about the boundary. Anyway the garden is now done but if he go out to sit or even put something in the bin she opens her back door or mysterious appears outside! The lady who we bought the house from got in touch via Instagram to ask how she was and told us a whole host of stories of what she did when she owned the property.
Hopefully we don’t have any issues going forward but it’s not nice having issues with a neighbor!
Wow is your neighbour my ex neighbour's mother?!

Reactions: 2
I’ve got some fun neighbours!
We have quite a big garden, it’s about 35 meters long and the house out the back of us has only about a 10 meter garden. I used to get ready in the back bedroom in a morning, get a shower in the bathroom, get in my underwear and then go into that back bedroom to straighten my hair, get my clothes on and do my makeup. I then received a message from the woman out back that I may want to close my curtains when I was getting dressed as her elderly neighbours (who can’t even see in this room from the angle of their house) had made some comments about being able to “see my tits” 🤣 which was ridiculous cause I didn’t put my underwear on in that room.
So it ended up with me sending some messages back winding her up cause I thought it was hilarious. To be fair after this i did it more just to piss them off.
A few weeks after she’s stood on her actual ladder at the fence with a video camera videoing me getting ready from my bedroom window 🤣 so I got the police involved who cautioned the silly cow! ive since had 2 children and she’s always at her bedroom window looking in when the kids are in the garden. They also have no joke 7 cctv cameras just out the back. Maybe to record my “tits” in a morning 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 21
Has anyone lived next door to someone who is a little odd? I would love to hear stories to this effect or anything about dodgy neighbours!

I live in a rented barn conversion on a farm. The neighbour’s family used to own the farmhouse, the property that I live in (now owned by her sister who lives abroad) and the barn on the other side of me, which she lives in now. They have a horse in stables opposite our house. When we first moved in a couple of years ago, they would come through our garden gate and go across our patio with the horse in order to put him in the field behind. It didn’t matter what time of day this was. It annoyed us pretty quickly, especially when we would be eating our dinner only to suddenly hear a clattering of hooves. We started putting our wheelie bin in front of the gate as a gentle hint, but they would pay no regard and move it out of the way to come through. After a couple of months, we asked if it were possible for them to ask us whenever they wanted to come through, as we knew they had access to the field another way. Obviously this didn’t go down well. A couple of weeks later things were fine and they haven’t bothered us since.

Cut to today. I get a text from the neighbour that she “will be coming into the garden to trim the hedge as it’s getting a bit overgrown”. For clarity, this hedge sits on the top of a wall. The wall is not adjacent to her house, it’s on the other side. It was now only slightly above the wall, but it obviously had bothered her. I texted her back to say, “only do it if you would like to, I can probably do it on the weekend”. I then get a phone call basically saying she’s going to do it today, so I said OK and let her do it as I figured it would be easier. We had a chat whilst she was cutting the hedge back and once she was done I said thank you and that I felt a little bad that she had done it. She smiled at me and said “well if you feel that bad about it, you could always get me a bottle”. I thought that this was a little cheeky considering I had never asked her to do anything in the first place, but for the sake of neighbourly relations, went in the house and grabbed the only unopened bottle I could bear to part with, which was a big bottle of Baileys. She looked me dead in the eyes and said, “oh no, not that, my drink is Gin - I really like ginger and rhubarb”. I laughed this comment off, but the more I think about it, the more it has annoyed me. Firstly, when someone offers you something, just accept what you are given. Secondly, I know we are all missing the pub but you can’t really expect me to buy you a thirty quid bottle of gin when you offered to do something I never asked you to do in the first place. 😂😂 She will be waiting on that bottle forever now! It’s a principle thing! Anyway, we ended our conversation nicely but it has irked me.

Please share your stories too!
Oh my god that story has annoyed me so much 😂😂 the absolute cheek !!!

• Wow
Reactions: 5
I’ve got some fun neighbours!
We have quite a big garden, it’s about 35 meters long and the house out the back of us has only about a 10 meter garden. I used to get ready in the back bedroom in a morning, get a shower in the bathroom, get in my underwear and then go into that back bedroom to straighten my hair, get my clothes on and do my makeup. I then received a message from the woman out back that I may want to close my curtains when I was getting dressed as her elderly neighbours (who can’t even see in this room from the angle of their house) had made some comments about being able to “see my tits” 🤣 which was ridiculous cause I didn’t put my underwear on in that room.
So it ended up with me sending some messages back winding her up cause I thought it was hilarious. To be fair after this i did it more just to piss them off.
A few weeks after she’s stood on her actual ladder at the fence with a video camera videoing me getting ready from my bedroom window 🤣 so I got the police involved who cautioned the silly cow! ive since had 2 children and she’s always at her bedroom window looking in when the kids are in the garden. They also have no joke 7 cctv cameras just out the back. Maybe to record my “tits” in a morning 🤷🏼‍♀️
Ha, ha, you should have bent over and showed them the other side. 🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Hell, mine aren't that bad, though most if them piss me off.

We live in a cul-de-sac, so parking is usually a problem because one family have 3 cars (plus daughters boyfriends, who is there all the time) and only 2 spaces on the drive.
Another time the wife came home at about 10pm and she and her friend sat outside the house in the car with the engine running, for an hour. After that I did go out and apologised for being 'that neighbour, but could she please turn the engine off because it was surprisingly noisy'. She's not spoken to me since (well over a year ago).

The rest of them just have children who they send out to play in the street and be feral. Screaming (yes, screaming) all the time. I don't have kids and certainly don't want to listen to theirs. Oh and they don't get out of the way of cars. And when I challenged one of the parents about the noise at 1045pm I was told we shouldn't live on a housing estate! 🤷‍♀️

• Sad
Reactions: 7
Hell, mine aren't that bad, though most if them piss me off.

We live in a cul-de-sac, so parking is usually a problem because one family have 3 cars (plus daughters boyfriends, who is there all the time) and only 2 spaces on the drive.
Another time the wife came home at about 10pm and she and her friend sat outside the house in the car with the engine running, for an hour. After that I did go out and apologised for being 'that neighbour, but could she please turn the engine off because it was surprisingly noisy'. She's not spoken to me since (well over a year ago).

The rest of them just have children who they send out to play in the street and be feral. Screaming (yes, screaming) all the time. I don't have kids and certainly don't want to listen to theirs. Oh and they don't get out of the way of cars. And when I challenged one of the parents about the noise at 1045pm I was told we shouldn't live on a housing estate! 🤷‍♀️
The screaming children....why? Why do they have to scream all the time?
They do that where we live and they never get out the way of the car either. They just bloody stare at us like 😮😮😮😮 like they have never seen a car before "well bleeping move then!" Dh once said the first time they did this, windows were up so they couldn't hear him, they just stared 😮😮 he beeped and they moved.
They do get out the way now but last minute and at all times with the stare 😮😮

• Haha
Reactions: 7
the children near me are the same, always screaming. I was always taught to only scream in an emergency so it always puts me on edge

Reactions: 11
the children near me are the same, always screaming. I was always taught to only scream in an emergency so it always puts me on edge
Omg tell me about it I prepare for the inevitable police visit saying some kids been abducted and did I hear anything 😩😂 I take a mental note of the time just in case lol or maybe I watch too much crime drama 😂😂😂

• Haha
Haha, this has just reminded me. About 2 months ago I was relaxing in the bath is I'd hurt my back and there was suddenly a hammering on the front door. I could hear the kids were outside. I decided to ignore them, but the kept banging.

I got fed up, got out of the bath and answered the door in my towel asking what the emergency was. One of them had lost thrown their teddy over our 6ft wall. Told them I was having a bath and they would have to wait and that it wasn't polite to behave like that.

Really wish the teddy had landed in some of our dogs poo.

I mean, I don't have kids, but I certainly wouldn't let them behave like that.

I keep thinking of things 🙊 On the night they were out til 1045pm, one of them tried to open our front door - during peak lockdown. Parents don't know me, my husband, or our dog. I was furious since we were shielding. It's just f*cking rude.

• Wow
Reactions: 11
Haha, this has just reminded me. About 2 months ago I was relaxing in the bath is I'd hurt my back and there was suddenly a hammering on the front door. I could hear the kids were outside. I decided to ignore them, but the kept banging.

I got fed up, got out of the bath and answered the door in my towel asking what the emergency was. One of them had lost thrown their teddy over our 6ft wall. Told them I was having a bath and they would have to wait and that it wasn't polite to behave like that.

The dog poo reminds me of me maybe not being the best neighbour. On one side the son and father like playing basketball but only after 8.30pm which drives me mental as that's when I've got a quiet house after bedtime and suddenly all I can hear is the thwack of their ball on their slabs. They only seem to stop once all their balls have went over the fence into my garden and I chuck them back over in the morning, usually they've flattened my flowers but I'm sure I annoy them someway so I keep quiet. Anyway, one morning I went to pick up a ball and it had a huge fox poo on it and I just chucked it back over. My husband was appalled but it wasn't my bloody ball, I'm only cleaning tit off something if it's my own property!

ETA: They have a special karaoke shed in their garden so I don't believe they can get annoyed at me when I've had to put up with hours and hours of the man of the house singing Celine Dion.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Omg tell me about it I prepare for the inevitable police visit saying some kids been abducted and did I hear anything 😩😂 I take a mental note of the time just in case lol or maybe I watch too much crime drama 😂😂😂
Same, true crime is making me insane :LOL:

The dog poo reminds me of me maybe not being the best neighbour. On one side the son and father like playing basketball but only after 8.30pm which drives me mental as that's when I've got a quiet house after bedtime and suddenly all I can hear is the thwack of their ball on their slabs. They only seem to stop once all their balls have went over the fence into my garden and I chuck them back over in the morning, usually they've flattened my flowers but I'm sure I annoy them someway so I keep quiet. Anyway, one morning I went to pick up a ball and it had a huge fox poo on it and I just chucked it back over. My husband was appalled but it wasn't my bloody ball, I'm only cleaning tit off something if it's my own property!

ETA: They have a special karaoke shed in their garden so I don't believe they can get annoyed at me when I've had to put up with hours and hours of the man of the house singing Celine Dion.
omg a shed so presumably not at all soundproof?! this should be illegal!!

I bloody hate neighbours. But, I’ve now moved house and the ones I’ve met so far seem okay. Always better when they keep their distance though.

Don’t get me started. Mine has grown ivy all over my fence. I want to replace my fences but literally no point while the ivy is running wild. Drives me crazy. Any suggestions on how I can get rid of this ivy? He has lived in the house since it was built & thinks he owns the road! I would in an ideal world like no neighbours 😂
Pour bleach under the fence. Ask him nicely 😆

• Haha

I mean, I don't have kids, but I certainly wouldn't let them behave like that.

I keep thinking of things 🙊 On the night they were out til 1045pm, one of them tried to open our front door - during peak lockdown. Parents don't know me, my husband, or our dog. I was furious since we were shielding. It's just f*cking rude.
This is what they are like round our way; rude, loud, obnoxious little crettins. They were once playing out until gone 11pm one night.

At our old house that we rented we had a small front lawn which wasn't and couldn't be fenced off. The kids would play out and ride their bikes over it on purpose to the point it actuallu roughed up a patch of the grass. I stepped out and kindly asked them not to as they are ruining the grass. Again, i get the gormless, slack jawed stare off them.
20 minutes later a knock, no, bang on the door from one of the dads ranting at me that i had told the kid to duck off 😅 an argument started to the point he tried entering my house. I was home alone as dh was at work. I slammed my door and nearly took his fingers off in the process.
I think he got pissed off when i told him to parent his child and teach him not to cycle on our grass 😅😅

• Wow
Reactions: 10
This is what they are like round our way; rude, loud, obnoxious little crettins. They were once playing out until gone 11pm one night.

At our old house that we rented we had a small front lawn which wasn't and couldn't be fenced off. The kids would play out and ride their bikes over it on purpose to the point it actuallu roughed up a patch of the grass. I stepped out and kindly asked them not to as they are ruining the grass. Again, i get the gormless, slack jawed stare off them.
20 minutes later a knock, no, bang on the door from one of the dads ranting at me that i had told the kid to duck off 😅 an argument started to the point he tried entering my house. I was home alone as dh was at work. I slammed my door and nearly took his fingers off in the process.
I think he got pissed off when i told him to parent his child and teach him not to cycle on our grass 😅😅
You can see where the kids get it from

Reactions: 9
I think Im the neighbour people talk about.
The flat I lived before, my neighbour complained I didnt wash my windows enough... excuse me?
Where I live now my downstairs neighbour complained that I make noise when I go to the toilet at night, I laughed at her and told to not live in a flat if you cant stand the noise of me going to the toilet at night? She also keeps track of when I work and dont. Im a shift worker so good luck with that.

I do hate living here but it;s cheap and will do for now.
My other neighbour likes to do drugs, he doesnt bother me but he did ask if I wanted to smell his weed...

Few weeks ago I did have to call the police as I heard what sounded as domestic abuses was going on above me.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 6
We have really lovely neighbours and I don’t want to complaint too much but we have a flying freehold and our bedroom (directly under the head of our bed) is above an alleyway which belongs to our neighbour. Pre covid I used to be up at 5:30 and out the door at 6:30 but now I don’t tent to get up til gone 7/8 and my neighbour has this habit of unlocking (loudly) and banging about in the alleyway at 6:30 every bloody morning. I have no idea what she does in there and the same happens at night when she locks up at about 11/12pm.

She know we can hear but I don’t want to mention too much in case she can hear us back 😝

Reactions: 1
About 9 years ago, we lived in a private rented flat. (Block of 6)
One day a man moved opposite us. He was very recently divorced and a bit unstable.

He made friends with a homeless man and used to bring him inside where they would drink vodka all day. He even gave him the key to the front door of the building so he could come in whenever he wanted

One day came home to find his door had been kicked in as he was found unconscious/unresponsive. He ended up being asked to leave as he was to much of an issue with the other tenants

My child was only about one at the time so was always on edge

• Wow
Bad neighbours can really destroy you living somewhere. We bight our first house about 11 years ago. The guy we bought from was a single mid 30s. On his forms to solicitors he declared there had been an issue with a previous neighbour regarding noise but since the new couple had moved in there had been no problems. It was a fairly new build semi, very thin walls.

We move in and all is fine. We never planned it to be our forever home, but we knew we would start a family there. The couple next door seemed fine, but one day they moved out and the house was empty. A few weeks later, a guy comes to the house and seems to be living there. We pop round to say hello and introduce ourselves. He seemed nice, military man and said he was away alot and tends to be home for a few weeks at a time and sometimes weekends. He has been renting the house out before but decided to use it himself again.

We had a few weeks where everything was fine. Then the music started. At first we weren't fussed, thought he would be winding down and it was a one off. It got louder and worse each day. Our walls would be shaking and it went on past midnight. We went round the next morning and politely said it wasn't really acceptable, he was great - really understanding and apologised.

I fell pregnant with our first baby and was struggling with pregnancy. I was trying to rest and the music was unbearable, this was about 11pm at night. Partner went round and invited the guy round, told him to sit in our lounge and listen how loud it was. He was apologetic again and we thought things would improve.

Had our baby and he went away for a while, assuming work related. It was bliss. Then he came back and it got worse. I went round one morning with the baby and explained that I really didn't want to be a moaner but if he could just turn it down a bit and that I know the walls are thin and he might hear our baby crying etc and I didnt want to be a hypocrite in that sense. He invited me in, had a chat with me and even showed me some renovation work he was doing on the house. I left thinking this it it, I've turned a corner with him. The next day, music was even louder. He even went out and left it on one day. It was horrendous and I would honestly say it ruined my maternity leave. I would find any excuse to go out and spent so much time away from the house. I spent days in tears to my mum because I hated where we lived because of him. My partner would get so cross because of how I was feeling. No word of a lie, if i hear certain songs now that he would play on repeat I get anxious or if I hear bassy music it takes me back, even 8 years on.

In the end we put the house up for sale. We had lived there for 3 years. We sold it within a month and bought a detached. I wouldn't even entertain viewing a semi. I bloody love our house now and that we have no chance of bassy music blaring through our walls. And when we had our second baby, i relished my maternity leave being able to stay at home and not be on edge.

• Sad
Reactions: 22
Bad neighbours can really destroy you living somewhere. We bight our first house about 11 years ago. The guy we bought from was a single mid 30s. On his forms to solicitors he declared there had been an issue with a previous neighbour regarding noise but since the new couple had moved in there had been no problems. It was a fairly new build semi, very thin walls.

We move in and all is fine. We never planned it to be our forever home, but we knew we would start a family there. The couple next door seemed fine, but one day they moved out and the house was empty. A few weeks later, a guy comes to the house and seems to be living there. We pop round to say hello and introduce ourselves. He seemed nice, military man and said he was away alot and tends to be home for a few weeks at a time and sometimes weekends. He has been renting the house out before but decided to use it himself again.

We had a few weeks where everything was fine. Then the music started. At first we weren't fussed, thought he would be winding down and it was a one off. It got louder and worse each day. Our walls would be shaking and it went on past midnight. We went round the next morning and politely said it wasn't really acceptable, he was great - really understanding and apologised.

I fell pregnant with our first baby and was struggling with pregnancy. I was trying to rest and the music was unbearable, this was about 11pm at night. Partner went round and invited the guy round, told him to sit in our lounge and listen how loud it was. He was apologetic again and we thought things would improve.

Had our baby and he went away for a while, assuming work related. It was bliss. Then he came back and it got worse. I went round one morning with the baby and explained that I really didn't want to be a moaner but if he could just turn it down a bit and that I know the walls are thin and he might hear our baby crying etc and I didnt want to be a hypocrite in that sense. He invited me in, had a chat with me and even showed me some renovation work he was doing on the house. I left thinking this it it, I've turned a corner with him. The next day, music was even louder. He even went out and left it on one day. It was horrendous and I would honestly say it ruined my maternity leave. I would find any excuse to go out and spent so much time away from the house. I spent days in tears to my mum because I hated where we lived because of him. My partner would get so cross because of how I was feeling. No word of a lie, if i hear certain songs now that he would play on repeat I get anxious or if I hear bassy music it takes me back, even 8 years on.

In the end we put the house up for sale. We had lived there for 3 years. We sold it within a month and bought a detached. I wouldn't even entertain viewing a semi. I bloody love our house now and that we have no chance of bassy music blaring through our walls. And when we had our second baby, i relished my maternity leave being able to stay at home and not be on edge.
I am literally where you were then right now. Baby is 15 months now and our neighbours have been arseholes the whole time I’ve hated it. Not being able to go many places due to COVID has meant we’ve been stuck here a lot too. Not just music though, they smoke weed so much we had to move our baby out of her bedroom to the box room on the other side of the house as it’s the only one not attached.
They continued even when we told them it was stinking out the baby's room. It’s rented and I’ve had enough of never knowing who’s going to live there next. Exactly the same as you my husband gets so angry when he sees me so upset. I literally feel sick when I see them arrive home.

Once I’m working full time again we will be on a mission to get a detached. Never ever will I live attached to anyone again.

• Sad
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.