Odd Neighbours / Neighbour Problems

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Our neighbours’ son is trying to learn how to play drums. Every day. For two hours. I disliked it before, but after my brother-in-law (he can play at least 10 different musical instruments, including drums) said that the boy doesn’t seem to get any better, I dislike it even more now. It’s been going on for at least 3 years as well.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4
Our new ish neighbours dog bashed our fence in trying to get to my dog. She replaced the fence (which is legally ours) but I feel she only did this to have the choice to have it the same as hers which has panel, gap, panel, gap and now her dogs are more nuts than ever!! Their barking is constant and she stands whispering come on now and spraying them with air, she also had it fitted no where near it should be by law and we’ve had our dogs running round with lumps of wood the fencers left along with a 2 foot lump of metal sticking up from the original fence. 🤯🤯I am VERY tempted to have it ripped down and have a gap free one put up next summer

I am literally where you were then right now. Baby is 15 months now and our neighbours have been arseholes the whole time I’ve hated it. Not being able to go many places due to COVID has meant we’ve been stuck here a lot too. Not just music though, they smoke weed so much we had to move our baby out of her bedroom to the box room on the other side of the house as it’s the only one not attached.
They continued even when we told them it was stinking out the baby's room. It’s rented and I’ve had enough of never knowing who’s going to live there next. Exactly the same as you my husband gets so angry when he sees me so upset. I literally feel sick when I see them arrive home.

Once I’m working full time again we will be on a mission to get a detached. Never ever will I live attached to anyone again.
Whos the LL? I'd complain to them, its not on having your baby's health potentially affected.

Whos the LL? I'd complain to them, its not on having your baby's health potentially affected.
We got on to the LL when the previous tenants sublet it to a group of their mates who were coming and going all hours of the day and night and also smoking weed and he got them out.

This couple are different though. They denied smoking weed to our faces despite the fact you could smell it as we were talking to them and they stop the music at bang on 11pm so we can’t complain about it going on late. I know the LL wouldn’t believe us about the weed because they ‘look’ like decent people and they’ll deny it to him. So we’ll look like we just want to complain and moan about everyone and not actually get anywhere. So we’ve decided that as long as the baby is safe in the room she’s in we will bear it for now until we can move. Sometimes you just have to know when you won’t win and just concentrate on changing your own situation I guess.

• Sad
I’m mid terraced one side are very noisy but nice, they have 3teenage boys so we hear them, they also have friends round a lot. They can be noisy late at night but it’s just teenage boys being teenage boys. The other side are a couple in their 50’s no children, they are alcoholics and get pissed every night. Play music on full volume until 3am. When I complained they started complaining about my baby. Now if we go in the garden she calls us c***s and starts hitting the fence . We have now sold our house and will be moving to a semi (wish we could afford a detached) hopefully our new neighbours will be a bit more considerate 🙏

• Wow
Reactions: 6
Bad neighbours can really destroy you living somewhere. We bight our first house about 11 years ago. The guy we bought from was a single mid 30s. On his forms to solicitors he declared there had been an issue with a previous neighbour regarding noise but since the new couple had moved in there had been no problems. It was a fairly new build semi, very thin walls.

We move in and all is fine. We never planned it to be our forever home, but we knew we would start a family there. The couple next door seemed fine, but one day they moved out and the house was empty. A few weeks later, a guy comes to the house and seems to be living there. We pop round to say hello and introduce ourselves. He seemed nice, military man and said he was away alot and tends to be home for a few weeks at a time and sometimes weekends. He has been renting the house out before but decided to use it himself again.

We had a few weeks where everything was fine. Then the music started. At first we weren't fussed, thought he would be winding down and it was a one off. It got louder and worse each day. Our walls would be shaking and it went on past midnight. We went round the next morning and politely said it wasn't really acceptable, he was great - really understanding and apologised.

I fell pregnant with our first baby and was struggling with pregnancy. I was trying to rest and the music was unbearable, this was about 11pm at night. Partner went round and invited the guy round, told him to sit in our lounge and listen how loud it was. He was apologetic again and we thought things would improve.

Had our baby and he went away for a while, assuming work related. It was bliss. Then he came back and it got worse. I went round one morning with the baby and explained that I really didn't want to be a moaner but if he could just turn it down a bit and that I know the walls are thin and he might hear our baby crying etc and I didnt want to be a hypocrite in that sense. He invited me in, had a chat with me and even showed me some renovation work he was doing on the house. I left thinking this it it, I've turned a corner with him. The next day, music was even louder. He even went out and left it on one day. It was horrendous and I would honestly say it ruined my maternity leave. I would find any excuse to go out and spent so much time away from the house. I spent days in tears to my mum because I hated where we lived because of him. My partner would get so cross because of how I was feeling. No word of a lie, if i hear certain songs now that he would play on repeat I get anxious or if I hear bassy music it takes me back, even 8 years on.

In the end we put the house up for sale. We had lived there for 3 years. We sold it within a month and bought a detached. I wouldn't even entertain viewing a semi. I bloody love our house now and that we have no chance of bassy music blaring through our walls. And when we had our second baby, i relished my maternity leave being able to stay at home and not be on edge.
I totally understand this. I’ve just moved from a house with thin walls to a detached house. Never again would I live in a semi-detached. It is just not worth the hassle, especially if one good neighbour moves out and the anticipation and stress of wondering who will move in.

Fortunately I got along with my noisy neighbours, they were really lovely people actually. But when they all got together, collectively they were really noisy. About a week before I moved out the Dad came round and said he was sorry that I was moving and that I had been the perfect neighbour, so quiet. 🤣 I think he was feeling on edge wondering whether the couple who bought my house would be as equally noisy as they have been. 🤣

I am currently in bed with a headache and it is bliss to have a headache in peace without hearing doors being slammed from next door, people talking loudly, chairs being scraped upon a wooden floor, hoover going late at night, etc, etc.

They were nice people for sure, but I don’t miss their daily comings and goings.

I’m mid terraced one side are very noisy but nice, they have 3teenage boys so we hear them, they also have friends round a lot. They can be noisy late at night but it’s just teenage boys being teenage boys. The other side are a couple in their 50’s no children, they are alcoholics and get pissed every night. Play music on full volume until 3am. When I complained they started complaining about my baby. Now if we go in the garden she calls us c***s and starts hitting the fence . We have now sold our house and will be moving to a semi (wish we could afford a detached) hopefully our new neighbours will be a bit more considerate 🙏
Crikey, how did you manage to sell your house with those kind of neighbours?!

The days I had viewings, I had to ask them next door if they would be quiet for an hour or so. 🤣 Fortunately, they agreed, as they knew I wanted out of the neighbourhood.

• Wow
Reactions: 5
We got on to the LL when the previous tenants sublet it to a group of their mates who were coming and going all hours of the day and night and also smoking weed and he got them out.

This couple are different though. They denied smoking weed to our faces despite the fact you could smell it as we were talking to them and they stop the music at bang on 11pm so we can’t complain about it going on late. I know the LL wouldn’t believe us about the weed because they ‘look’ like decent people and they’ll deny it to him. So we’ll look like we just want to complain and moan about everyone and not actually get anywhere. So we’ve decided that as long as the baby is safe in the room she’s in we will bear it for now until we can move. Sometimes you just have to know when you won’t win and just concentrate on changing your own situation I guess.
I have an on going issue with my incredibly noisy neighbour, we have videos of how loud the music is (even during the day) we have weeks worth and we sent it to our landlord (he owns the whole building) . The noisy neighbour is on his last warning.
I researched my rights and any loud consistent disruptive music isn’t okay and you can get them. If it’s a one of party then the rule of 11pm starts but our neighbours music starts at midday for 8 hours - it’s that loud it feels like we have put the music on.
There’s help out there I promise .

If it is your fence, but she has gone to the trouble of erecting her own fence, there is nothing stopping you doing the same thing. Plenty of people do this, we don’t have to legally ‘share’ a fence with our neighbours. Seeing as the fence is legally yours anyway, she should not have touched your fence in the first place.

Reactions: 2
You can see where the kids get it from
was about to comment exactly this! slightly OT but it reminds me of a friends' parent teach nights at primary school, when she met parents it was always clear where the badly behaved kids had got their behaviour from

I am literally where you were then right now. Baby is 15 months now and our neighbours have been arseholes the whole time I’ve hated it. Not being able to go many places due to COVID has meant we’ve been stuck here a lot too. Not just music though, they smoke weed so much we had to move our baby out of her bedroom to the box room on the other side of the house as it’s the only one not attached.
They continued even when we told them it was stinking out the baby's room. It’s rented and I’ve had enough of never knowing who’s going to live there next. Exactly the same as you my husband gets so angry when he sees me so upset. I literally feel sick when I see them arrive home.

Once I’m working full time again we will be on a mission to get a detached. Never ever will I live attached to anyone again.
couldn't you report them for the smoking? if it is rented technically it is illegal for them to smoke cigarettes inside as far as I am aware (let alone anything illegal)

Reactions: 3

I feel for you I really do. The anxiety for me was awful, I genuinely used to hear things too and would pause the TV convinced he had music on.
I dont really have any happy memories of living there to be honest which is a shame as it was our first home.
Fingers crossed you can move on x

• Sad
I have an on going issue with my incredibly noisy neighbour, we have videos of how loud the music is (even during the day) we have weeks worth and we sent it to our landlord (he owns the whole building) . The noisy neighbour is on his last warning.
I researched my rights and any loud consistent disruptive music isn’t okay and you can get them. If it’s a one of party then the rule of 11pm starts but our neighbours music starts at midday for 8 hours - it’s that loud it feels like we have put the music on.
There’s help out there I promise .
I hope you get somewhere with yours soon. It’s horrible isn’t it? To be honest, I know there’s things we could do but I just don’t have it in me to fight it. If we wanted to live here long term I would but honestly we have decided 100% we want to leave. I can’t take the anxiety of not knowing every year who is going to move in next. My husband and I literally tag each other on property pages all the time 🤣 realistically it’s going to be a couple of years yet before we can move but it will happen. That’s what keeps us going.

Reactions: 3
I hope you get somewhere with yours soon. It’s horrible isn’t it? To be honest, I know there’s things we could do but I just don’t have it in me to fight it. If we wanted to live here long term I would but honestly we have decided 100% we want to leave. I can’t take the anxiety of not knowing every year who is going to move in next. My husband and I literally tag each other on property pages all the time 🤣 realistically it’s going to be a couple of years yet before we can move but it will happen. That’s what keeps us going.
See I’m really stubborn and refuse to let the noisy neighbour win . He woke us up at 6am the other morning with the music , my partner had to stop me from going down there and kicking off . I have a section on notes where I document the noise with times etc (I feel like a bloody Karen) .
I hope you get to move sooner rather than later :) keep your head up !

See I’m really stubborn and refuse to let the noisy neighbour win . He woke us up at 6am the other morning with the music , my partner had to stop me from going down there and kicking off . I have a section on notes where I document the noise with times etc (I feel like a bloody Karen) .
I hope you get to move sooner rather than later :) keep your head up !
I totally get why you’re doing it. I think it’s awful that people have to go to lengths like that to get some peace in their own home. There’s nothing worse, especially in times like this, to not feel comfortable/relaxed/peaceful in your own home.

Neighbour noise can send you insane. I have been plagued with dodgy neighbours my whole life. Hopefully, I have now found some peace.

Reactions: 7
We actually flitted from our privately owned home because of constant noise/crime issues with our council tenant neighbours. I genuinely suffer from PTSD due to their behaviour.

We put up with it for 5 years but when the ASB team of the local housing department response with "we never evict, why don't you just move?" we knew that nothing would ever be done.

Loud dance music 24/7, lifting fence panels so their vicious dogs could tit in our garden and chase our small children, birds of prey not secured being allowed to fly around, rat infestations due to waste not being disposed of, painting our windows black, pouring paint through the sunroof of our car, being physically violent if they saw you, verbally abusive all the time, letting their grandkids (yep they were in their 50s) run riot around the house all night.....I could go on.

I remember sitting on IKEA carpark in our people carrier, with my husband and 4 kids eating a packed picnic because we couldn't stay in our house but couldn't afford to go anywhere. We'd aimlessly walk around free places just to get out of the house. Horrific.

In my work I sometimes support victims of ASB and it is rife. The police are not interested and my best advice is log, report everything and visit ASB Help website. Local MPs and councillors can be informed and gather as much evidence as you can. I wish I knew more at the time.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 22
We actually flitted from our privately owned home because of constant noise/crime issues with our council tenant neighbours. I genuinely suffer from PTSD due to their behaviour.

We put up with it for 5 years but when the ASB team of the local housing department response with "we never evict, why don't you just move?" we knew that nothing would ever be done.

Loud dance music 24/7, lifting fence panels so their vicious dogs could tit in our garden and chase our small children, birds of prey not secured being allowed to fly around, rat infestations due to waste not being disposed of, painting our windows black, pouring paint through the sunroof of our car, being physically violent if they saw you, verbally abusive all the time, letting their grandkids (yep they were in their 50s) run riot around the house all night.....I could go on.

I remember sitting on IKEA carpark in our people carrier, with my husband and 4 kids eating a packed picnic because we couldn't stay in our house but couldn't afford to go anywhere. We'd aimlessly walk around free places just to get out of the house. Horrific.

In my work I sometimes support victims of ASB and it is rife. The police are not interested and my best advice is log, report everything and visit ASB Help website. Local MPs and councillors can be informed and gather as much evidence as you can. I wish I knew more at the time.
That is just horrific! What did you do with the property afterwards? For some reason it's really hard to evict a council tenant. Especially if they have support needs such as being drug/alcohol dependant, which they get extra points for in the first place. A friend of mine had 7 years of hell from her neighbour who just terrorised the whole estate. Drugs, parties, threats, violence, dealers, prostitution, child neglect. They had meetings with officials, the police, had the noise ap. The people were being protected because they were on their 3rd and final house from being evicted! They threatened legal action against the housing association in the end to get anywhere. It is just crazy how many hoops you have to jump through with problem neighbours.

Reactions: 7
We've had a few crappy neighbours over the years. It can be stressful. I always tried to tackle issues directly and tried not to cause a big issue because when selling your house you had to declare any neighbourly disputes / issues. Can't remember exactly how it was worded but it was on the questionaire the solicitor sent through. Not sure if they still ask this now but I didn't want to jeopardise my house sale by putting the seller off.

I think some people just get pleasure by upsetting their neighbours. Selfish bastards.

We've had a few crappy neighbours over the years. It can be stressful. I always tried to tackle issues directly and tried not to cause a big issue because when selling your house you had to declare any neighbourly disputes / issues. Can't remember exactly how it was worded but it was on the questionaire the solicitor sent through. Not sure if they still ask this now but I didn't want to jeopardise my house sale by putting the seller off.

I think some people just get pleasure by upsetting their neighbours. Selfish bastards.
Exactly this. I never formally did anything as I didn't want to declare it when we sold xx

That is just horrific! What did you do with the property afterwards? For some reason it's really hard to evict a council tenant. Especially if they have support needs such as being drug/alcohol dependant, which they get extra points for in the first place. A friend of mine had 7 years of hell from her neighbour who just terrorised the whole estate. Drugs, parties, threats, violence, dealers, prostitution, child neglect. They had meetings with officials, the police, had the noise ap. The people were being protected because they were on their 3rd and final house from being evicted! They threatened legal action against the housing association in the end to get anywhere. It is just crazy how many hoops you have to jump through with problem neighbours.
We let it become repossed. We couldn't afford rent and the mortgage and we could not sell it. We had tried a few times before we fled and they we all come out in the street, shouting obscenities, lobbing beer cans etc...even when we moved out they tried paying the removal firm to tell them where we were moving to.
That was 9 years ago now and they never came after the debt. As far as we're aware (through Experian) about 40k has been written off and the house was sold via auction.
It's affected me so badly that I can't look at pictures that show that house, my children were born there but all I can remember is the anxiety, stress and frustration. I can't even drive past it.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 22

I wish these kind of people could be removed from society. Seriously they do nothing to enhance anyone’s life, all they do is bleed money from taxpayers, ride roughshod over everyone and scream about their “effing rights” when it suits them to do so. They should be sterilised/castrated, or better still, put down! 😩

They still ask the same question in the seller’s pack. I recently sold my house and this question came up. I was able to answer honestly, because I have never had any disputes with neighbours, noisy yes, but no disagreements with them.

But, I wouldn’t want to fall out with neighbours for many reasons. 1) You have to live in close proximity and living beside each other with a hostile atmosphere hanging over you is stressful enough. 2) You have to declare it on any legal form when you move.

So I am very careful about disagreements with neighbours.

Some neighbours really don’t deserve a roof over their heads because of the way they treat others around them. 😩

Last edited:
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.