Northern Ireland #3 Craic, conflict and current affairs

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So a 46 year old has been arrested. 46? Who?
Band also thought it was a bomb which would have very scary but why run towards it and not flee in different directions 🤔

Reactions: 4
So a 46 year old has been arrested. 46? Who?
Band also thought it was a bomb which would have very scary but why run towards it and not flee in different directions 🤔
46😯 I thought it was a young fella, the oil of Olay must be working 😅

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Aaaaaannnd of course the statement was released by Brysons consultancy.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Realistically the guy from the house should be arrested for assault and whoever threw the bin back should be done for criminal damage.
The footage of them taking in the bin is hilarious though, can’t stop watching it

I agree arrests should happen. If the bin guy had an issue with the band/March he could have made his point without resorting to that. Now his house is a target and his pensioner neighbours have ended up bearing the brunt of his actions. What a shock that would have been.
If that area has an issue with parades and well that area puts up with a lot and are seldom listened to anyway but if they have I hope their concerns are taken seriously. I don't understand why or how parades are allowed to pass by predominantly nationalist areas. It's antagonistic. It's unnecessary.

Reactions: 3
I agree arrests should happen. If the bin guy had an issue with the band/March he could have made his point without resorting to that. Now his house is a target and his pensioner neighbours have ended up bearing the brunt of his actions. What a shock that would have been.
If that area has an issue with parades and well that area puts up with a lot and are seldom listened to anyway but if they have I hope their concerns are taken seriously. I don't understand why or how parades are allowed to pass by predominantly nationalist areas. It's antagonistic. It's unnecessary.
I thought all contentious parades had to go through the parades commission now, I don’t know the specific route that was going but the residents perhaps don’t all have issue to it, but agree if they do then find another way.

agree about the hypocrisy over the flag burning but I was sad to see the NI football flag being burned, particularly as the women’s team are currently playing in the Euros and are a very mixed team and great representatives and role models for young girls in this country.

• Sad
I thought all contentious parades had to go through the parades commission now, I don’t know the specific route that was going but the residents perhaps don’t all have issue to it, but agree if they do then find another way.

agree about the hypocrisy over the flag burning but I was sad to see the NI football flag being burned, particularly as the women’s team are currently playing in the Euros and are a very mixed team and great representatives and role models for young girls in this country.
Do they act if residents oppose it? I think the NI football issues go back years when Catholics couldn’t play through intimidation from the sidelines, I don’t think Bingham was very pro Catholic either .

Reactions: 2
But it’s grand if it’s a tricolour 😂
I absolutely cannot understand how they can burn the tricolour in their hundreds and then cause such an uproar at this?
I can honestly say as a Catholic, and as someone who doesn't consider themselves republican but have plenty of friends who are, I have never once attended an event or witnessed anyone burning a union jack. However almost every bonfire has burned a tricolour.
This 12th seems to show a bigger divide in communities than I've noticed in recent years. It's been building and I hate the direction all this is going

Reactions: 6
Do they act if residents oppose it? I think the NI football issues go back years when Catholics couldn’t play through intimidation from the sidelines, I don’t think Bingham was very pro Catholic either .
I take it you mean the Neil Lennon incident? That was shameful but after it the IFA had a very successful ‘Football for All’ campaign and the fans groups did loads of work around songs and behaviour.
There are of course some arseholes, which is the same for every team but the atmosphere is a different story now.

I know a few catholics who have been going to NI matches for longer than me.

any way in terms of parades commission acting I’m not a massive expert but I think they try to have meetings between residents and the band groups and try to come to resolutions…. They seem to get criticised by both sides so perhaps they are doing an ok job!

I take it you mean the Neil Lennon incident? That was shameful but after it the IFA had a very successful ‘Football for All’ campaign and the fans groups did loads of work around songs and behaviour.
There are of course some arseholes, which is the same for every team but the atmosphere is a different story now.

I know a few catholics who have been going to NI matches for longer than me.

any way in terms of parades commission acting I’m not a massive expert but I think they try to have meetings between residents and the band groups and try to come to resolutions…. They seem to get criticised by both sides so perhaps they are doing an ok job!
No there's been more than Neil Lennon , it's always been a running thing where catholic players were not welcome .James McClean even said his time in the underage squad was a nightmare you just knew you weren't wanted nor welcome .

I absolutely cannot understand how they can burn the tricolour in their hundreds and then cause such an uproar at this?
I can honestly say as a Catholic, and as someone who doesn't consider themselves republican but have plenty of friends who are, I have never once attended an event or witnessed anyone burning a union jack. However almost every bonfire has burned a tricolour.
This 12th seems to show a bigger divide in communities than I've noticed in recent years. It's been building and I hate the direction all this is going
I can say I have seen them burn union Jacks but that's in retaliation to the loyalist side that stone them from above while the police stand beside them and do nothing .I think we're that used to it we don't see it and it's startling at times looking at it from a SM perspective where people upload what's really going on inside the others communities .

Last edited:
No there's been more than Neil Lennon , it's always been a running thing where catholic players were not welcome .James McClean even said his time in the underage squad was a nightmare you just knew you weren't wanted nor welcome .
There are many catholic players who haven’t expressed that view so I suppose it is down to individual perception… do you have the source on the James McClean quotes on his time in the underage side? I could be wrong but I could have sworn he was the captain of the U21 for a bit.

I agree the anthem is divisive, it causes a lot of debate both in NI fan circles and obviously from outside observers. I would drop it and have something NIspecific myself.

See I think they’ve got the British mentality they have to make a show of themselves wherever they go, the republic fans were always a credit to themselves and the country
7C54D7C0-82CD-4D94-9175-A7DB5767F583.jpeg

There are many catholic players who haven’t expressed that view so I suppose it is down to individual perception… do you have the source on the James McClean quotes on his time in the underage side? I could be wrong but I could have sworn he was the captain of the U21 for a bit.

I agree the anthem is divisive, it causes a lot of debate both in NI fan circles and obviously from outside observers. I would drop it and have something NIspecific myself.
67B57924-5314-4FD8-B194-4F5811A6CA56.jpeg

See I think they’ve got the British mentality they have to make a show of themselves wherever they go, the republic fans were always a credit to themselves and the country View attachment 1412004
So how did they make a show of themselves exactly? An airline overbooking a flight is people making a show of themselves? Unless when you subscribe to the article and there’s a story about fans kicking the pope I think you are seriously grasping at straws!

Making a show of ourselves:

)republic fans also got one )

• Heart
Reactions: 2
So how did they make a show of themselves exactly? An airline overbooking a flight is people making a show of themselves? Unless when you subscribe to the article and there’s a story about fans kicking the pope I think you are seriously grasping at straws!

Making a show of ourselves:

)republic fans also got one )

That post has attached on to the other one lol ,it’s a general view they were alway making a show of themselves abroad.

Definitely feels like things are becoming very unstable. Horrible. I'm not sure if I'm noticing it more because I'm using/reading SM like twitter or if it's always been like this and I was oblivious.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.