Northern Ireland #22 The Good Friday Arraignment

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
From what I’m told, the majority of cases, even drawn out ones, are referred to PPS, including “no prosecution” cases as PSNI only recommend an outcome, it’s the PPS who decides how a case proceeds when they review the evidence. It’s different in NI. The fact PSNI charged him to court means that there is sufficient evidence to justify charging and PPS would have been consulted. As I said previously, it’s unusual for a historic case to be charged so my conclusion is that there is decent evidence. I’m still horrified.
With this, and the statement from Emma Little-Pengelly, I wonder if he has indicated that he will plead guilty.

Reactions: 3
From what I’m told, the majority of cases, even drawn out ones, are referred to PPS, including “no prosecution” cases as PSNI only recommend an outcome, it’s the PPS who decides how a case proceeds when they review the evidence. It’s different in NI. The fact PSNI charged him to court means that there is sufficient evidence to justify charging and PPS would have been consulted. As I said previously, it’s unusual for a historic case to be charged so my conclusion is that there is decent evidence. I’m still horrified.
The victims could’ve been documenting it and kept things in a safe place, we can only speculate to who they are but it seems Jeff was taken by surprise so no prior knowledge of the allegations against him.

• Wow
Reactions: 6
With this, and the statement from Emma Little-Pengelly, I wonder if he has indicated that he will plead guilty.
No, he said he’ll be contesting the charges.
---
Quoting myself as I knew I read this. BBC news said “Sir Jeffrey had said that he will be strenuously contesting the charges.”

So he’ll be entering a not guilty plea when he appears at court and it will go to trial….

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
---

Quoting myself as I knew I read this. BBC news said “Sir Jeffrey had said that he will be strenuously contesting the charges.”

So he’ll be entering a not guilty plea when he appears at court and it will go to trial….
Even if there’s more than enough evidence to send them down abusers still tend to plead not guilty. That way even if they’re convicted they can carry on denying it and maybe even convince themselves that they’ve done nothing wrong. We can only hope that his co-accused will search her conscience between now and the court appearance and make it a bit easier on the (alleged) victims.

Reactions: 11
Seems to you have to be part of the pedalo club to get one 😏

---
Even if there’s more than enough evidence to send them down abusers still tend to plead not guilty. That way even if they’re convicted they can carry on denying it and maybe even convince themselves that they’ve done nothing wrong. We can only hope that his co-accused will search her conscience between now and the court appearance and make it a bit easier on the (alleged) victims.
Could there be more behind it ? I find it odd how anyone could stand by a man like that ( don’t want to point fingers)

Reactions: 3
if what I have heard today is true I hope he is charged for a long time and doesn’t have a minutes peace from other prisoners whilst inside!

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 6
This photo makes me uneasy - this news has been hard to digest. Really feel for the victims. Does anyone else think this is going to open a can of worms?
Very much so ! We have to be careful but there’s so much we could say about this 👍🏻

Reactions: 4
Very much so ! We have to be careful but there’s so much we could say about this 👍🏻
Yeah, I think the best thing for us to do is not stray into too many opinions as tempting as it is and just wait for the court case and pray we don’t end up on the jury.

Reactions: 7
Yeah, I think the best thing for us to do is not stray into too many opinions as tempting as it is and just wait for the court case and pray we don’t end up on the jury.
I’d hate to do jury service again, the court is brilliant , so interesting ! it’s the rest is like watching grass grow😫

Reactions: 2
For it to come to light now after all these years those poor victims must have suffered a lot time. It takes unbelievable courage and bravery to come forward under normal circumstances never mind when the person you are accusing is such a prominent figure. I hope they are getting all the support available.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
When I was in school someone from my class (we were upper 6th so over 18) got jury service. They got an abuse case and they were horrified. Thankfully that was when people actually went to jail for sex crimes

Talk of life changing impacts from what happened and that’s how it all came to be exposed!
And also alleged that flight altercation was related.
Must’ve thought he was above it when he had his diary filled .
---
Who did he buy the flat with?
IMG_5257.jpeg

Last edited:
Sammy Wilson, apparently? (Saw someone confirm on Twitter)
He’s keeping well out of it!
---
IMG_5256.jpeg

---
IMG_5261.jpeg
Can get a good SS of this but they had no idea they were being swooped and her charges are basically covering up his crimes.

Last edited:
  • Wow
When I was in school someone from my class (we were upper 6th so over 18) got jury service. They got an abuse case and they were horrified. Thankfully that was when people actually went to jail for sex crimes
"thankfully that was when people actually went to jail for sex crime"

A very stupid comment. People are far far more likely to go to jail these days for sex crime than in yesteryear.
---
I don't agree with all of this blog piece (his implication that victims of abuse should report it immediately after it happens if they want to be taken seriously is cack-handed and he gets quite rightly lectured on it in the comments) but this excerpt is spot on in my view:

The first thing to remember, for your own sake as well as the sake of Sir Jeffrey Donaldson, is that the now former DUP leader Is Innocent. Because he’s been charged with rape and “other historical sexual offences” doesn’t mean he’s guilty of anything.

But the fact that he was arrested and charged will make it very difficult for him to come back to lead the DUP, even if he does emerge innocent of all charges. These things, once used to accuse, have a nasty habit of sticking to those at whom they’re targeted. There are still people who will mutter that the Birmingham Six may have been declared innocent but that there’s no smoke without fire, is there, mutter mutter mutter. I detest that kind of unproven smear, regardless of who its target is.

Given that the charges against Jeffrey are ‘historical’, the claim must be that they happened fado fado – some time back. How can evidence from that far back be validated? With great difficulty, I’d think. More interesting if not more answerable questions are , why now and who benefits?

Well, if we consider who led the charge against Jeffrey ‘s acceptance of the Windsor Framework, and went on leading that charge even after Jeffrey led his troops back into the Assembly, we might have some idea of who may derive political advantage from Jeffrey’s fall. Step forward the good Lord Dodds, Sammy Wilson and Jim Allister. All three were vocal in their condemnation of those who’d accept the Windsor Framework, given that NEI was still subject to EU laws. Now the man who led the DUP back into Stormont and accepted the Windsor Framework is charged with appalling crimes.
---
For it to come to light now after all these years those poor victims must have suffered a lot time. It takes unbelievable courage and bravery to come forward under normal circumstances never mind when the person you are accusing is such a prominent figure. I hope they are getting all the support available.
I think you meant to say alleged victims. I wasn't aware that the court case had concluded and the accused had been found guilty. If so, the PSNI's efficiency has increased rather dramatically.

Last edited:
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.