Northern Ireland #14 Better to have no representation than to have poor representation

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
his name is Corrie Gordon. Looks like a wee scumbag honestly. its sad that we have to take these precautions in 2023, but its better to be safe than sorry

Reactions: 3
It's laughable at this point, I'm sure quite a few of us have gcse and a level in the subject, have Irish names and have given our kids the same. It's bleeping ridiculous that people are offended and feel that somehow undermines how they view themselves. The truth is they hate Irish people and their identity they don't want to share northern Ireland, they've only ever wanted the community to work for unionists. They'll start this dung again about breaking up the union, if NI go Scotland will follow. Believe me Westminster have done everything in their power to scupper that idea, independence is as far away as ever for those guys.
They haven't done the same for NI and they're not going to, and I don't know if this is accurate but apparently they've allowed the loyalist side to destroy themselves with drugs, when they're distracted in that carry on they've not much chance of no surrender.
A border poll will have a huge campaign, everyone will know the score and pragmatic decisions need to happen. People treat the issue like opposing football teams and its not that, its your future and future citizens futures.
What the duck would any nationalist want to remain in a united Kingdom for? I think its up to the DUP etc to start selling it to us but I'll not hold my breath.
You might be right about Irish citizens not voting yes, who could blame them eh? But they wouldn't bear the brunt financially alone the EU will ease that burden, investment from America etc. Since Brexit Ireland is in a very strong position globally for trade.
We probably would have some sort of devolved gov operating in the North following reunification it wouldn't be an overnight good bye to the UK, it would be transitional. But the big draw that is the NHS is tired now, we have the worst health service in the UK, having spoken to some family who work in it and locum in the South there's no comparison, they're definitely over it now. They're thinking about their pocket and HSE is less stressful.
What a rant.
Soz.
I live in south and believe me the HSE is great if you live in Dublin or Galway not so great in North West.
If people find out all the charges we have here they will not be so quick to vote yes in a border poll.

Reactions: 5
I live in south and believe me the HSE is great if you live in Dublin or Galway not so great in North West.
If people find out all the charges we have here they will not be so quick to vote yes in a border poll.
What sort of changes?
How do you feel about SF getting into power, Mary Lous is a bit mad but quite brilliant. My lot down there love her and they're total yuppies but the rest of the bridge club aren't fussed.

I always walk with my house keys in my hand, I put one key between my fingers so I've a good chance of stabbing them. I mean always. Don't walk in secluded areas using your phone and if you're listening to a pod or something only wear one earbud. Is that a wee alarm thing? They're quite good. I keep a wee mini bottle of elnett in my bag too.
Yeah it comes with an alarm, seatbelt cutter/window breaker, hand sanitiser and UK legal spray. I also ordered a fidget keychain to disguise it more

Reactions: 2
Yeah it comes with an alarm, seatbelt cutter/window breaker, hand sanitiser and UK legal spray. I also ordered a fidget keychain to disguise it more
Those window and seatbelt cutters are good to have in the car, if you know any paramedics they usually say get one. Leave those in the car.

Reactions: 1
What sort of changes?
How do you feel about SF getting into power, Mary Lous is a bit mad but quite brilliant. My lot down there love her and they're total yuppies but the rest of the bridge club aren't fussed.
Bin collection, school buses, there’s no canteens in primary schools so it’s all packed lunches. School books and supplies all have to be bought for all ages (this year primary schools are getting free text and copy books, but we still have to pay for photocopying and art supplies), prescriptions all have to be paid for, it’s cost me €12 for an antibiotic for my child. Only children up to age 6 have a gp visit card. It’s €100 to go to A&E if you haven’t been referred by a GP. If you need the fire brigade out for say your chimney on fire there’s a charge. The list goes on…
In all fairness I don’t mind Sinn Fein, I think they are the only party that actually fight for the people. I don’t like the fact that the other 2 just joined together to keep them out. If they were the biggest party they should be in power.

Reactions: 3
Yes sorry just deleted my comment as I didn’t realise it was Bushmills Rd!

Reactions: 1
I always walk with my house keys in my hand, I put one key between my fingers so I've a good chance of stabbing them. I mean always. Don't walk in secluded areas using your phone and if you're listening to a pod or something only wear one earbud. Is that a wee alarm thing? They're quite good. I keep a wee mini bottle of elnett in my bag too.
Elnett ! What a waste , the extra strong hold silvikrin would do rightly😂

• Haha
Reactions: 5
My views on the Irish thing.
Sinn Fein knew exactly what they were doing when they tabled this motion and true to form the DUP took the debate. Realistically though I emailed several local councillors before aboht my concerns about drugs and needles all over the city centre and have been met with radio silence. Because that would involve doing actual hard work. The Irish debate is what keeps Sinn Fein and the DUP in the lead as it plays on people’s fears. I couldn’t care less if a sign is in Irish or not but I genuinely believe there other things far higher priority for the council to be looking at.

Reactions: 9
Bin collection, school buses, there’s no canteens in primary schools so it’s all packed lunches. School books and supplies all have to be bought for all ages (this year primary schools are getting free text and copy books, but we still have to pay for photocopying and art supplies), prescriptions all have to be paid for, it’s cost me €12 for an antibiotic for my child. Only children up to age 6 have a gp visit card. It’s €100 to go to A&E if you haven’t been referred by a GP. If you need the fire brigade out for say your chimney on fire there’s a charge. The list goes on…
In all fairness I don’t mind Sinn Fein, I think they are the only party that actually fight for the people. I don’t like the fact that the other 2 just joined together to keep them out. If they were the biggest party they should be in power.
I feel like there’s a lot of misconceptions about what’s “free” up here. The NHS isn’t gifted to us, it’s funded by taxpayers and if you actually need proper healthcare in a timely fashion most people have to pay privately. If you’re lucky enough to get sorted through the NHS you’ll end up in Dublin or Cork a lot of the time. If you live in the 6 counties and your child needs heart surgery, that surgery happens in Dublin. Next to impossible to get an NHS dentist, I’ve been paying privately for almost 20 years. We used to pay for prescriptions here too and with all the budget cuts it looks like it’s coming back.

We do pay for bin collections in the form of rates. Not a small bill, mine is close to £2k per annum. School dinners are extortion unless you’re entitled to free meals. My boys go to Subway or the deli counters because it’s cheaper than the canteen. We pay school fund every September. £150 per child. Strict uniform policies in most schools here meaning you’re shelling out hundreds for uniform. I’m sure I’ve spent a couple of hundred on text books this term too. We pay for art supplies too, paint palette, brushes, art folder and sketch pad were all paid for, specific brands too bought through school so you can’t get cheaper versions. Scientific calculator must be bought through school, they’re only allowed to use that particular type.
Food prices much the same as the south these days. Fuel more expensive. Wages abysmal in comparison. My husband has a fairly niche job in a particular industry where he liases with his southern counterparts all the time. Taking the exchange rate into account they get paid 3 times what he does.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
To be fair I don't see why we can't have dual language signs, money aside. When this place was being pumped with money it wasn't allowed. Why?
People here are British and Irish by law and they have a right to their language. The Welsh have had their language revival, i don't think that happened until the 90s open to correction but look how positive that has been. Paisley the old bastard may he burn eternally in the firey pits he preached about has brain washed many. At the turn of the last century Irish wasn't the language of peasants, it was used by scholars and the upper crust of both religions.
On a separate note what exactly do people want politicians to do about drugs, its a policing issue and councils have no funding other than clean up. It's all falling to the voluntary sector and they're rapidly in decline, breaking point is how it was described to me. They're just glad the deaths have calmed down. This is a society problem.
---
I feel like there’s a lot of misconceptions about what’s “free” up here. The NHS isn’t gifted to us, it’s funded by taxpayers and if you actually need proper healthcare in a timely fashion most people have to pay privately. If you’re lucky enough to get sorted through the NHS you’ll end up in Dublin or Cork a lot of the time. If you live in the 6 counties and your child needs heart surgery, that surgery happens in Dublin. Next to impossible to get an NHS dentist, I’ve been paying privately for almost 20 years. We used to pay for prescriptions here too and with all the budget cuts it looks like it’s coming back.

We do pay for bin collections in the form of rates. Not a small bill, mine is close to £2k per annum. School dinners are extortion unless you’re entitled to free meals. My boys go to Subway or the deli counters because it’s cheaper than the canteen. We pay school fund every September. £150 per child. Strict uniform policies in most schools here meaning you’re shelling out hundreds for uniform. I’m sure I’ve spent a couple of hundred on text books this term too. We pay for art supplies too, paint palette, brushes, art folder and sketch pad were all paid for, specific brands too bought through school so you can’t get cheaper versions. Scientific calculator must be bought through school, they’re only allowed to use that particular type.
Food prices much the same as the south these days. Fuel more expensive. Wages abysmal in comparison. My husband has a fairly niche job in a particular industry where he liases with his southern counterparts all the time. Taking the exchange rate into account they get paid 3 times what he does.
There's definitely misconceptions. My family in the south used our address to get their kids braces, that was 30 years ago, but I frequently get requests to get things on prescription to send down to them. Obviously it doesn't work like that, so I often end up buying whatever in the pharmacy and posting it.
Including libres which are not cheap they just thought I'd get extra. Eventually I had to explain.
Our services are at breaking point and to be honest I'd rather people were slapped a fee for attending A&E because its a joke on both staff and very ill patients. See next year there'll be nothing in schools, the budgets are gone, teachers are paying out of their own pocket so kids don't get left behind or suffer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10

When you put it like that I’ve never realised all we actually pay for that people assume it’s free. I really feel for schools, we’ve been asked for yearly contribution then to supply things like tissues, wipes, hand wash etc
---
On the language front, we are just back from a trip to Scottish highlands and noticed all the signs are in English and Gaelic which was lovely to see.

Reactions: 6
I work for an English based non-departmental govt body and by law we have to provide all our main documentation in Welsh too.

our Scottish counterparts have all their email signatures in Gaelic too - it’s not politicised.

Edwin Poots is scared of his own toots

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.