Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Wee Nora

VIP Member
Bin collection, school buses, there’s no canteens in primary schools so it’s all packed lunches. School books and supplies all have to be bought for all ages (this year primary schools are getting free text and copy books, but we still have to pay for photocopying and art supplies), prescriptions all have to be paid for, it’s cost me €12 for an antibiotic for my child. Only children up to age 6 have a gp visit card. It’s €100 to go to A&E if you haven’t been referred by a GP. If you need the fire brigade out for say your chimney on fire there’s a charge. The list goes on…
In all fairness I don’t mind Sinn Fein, I think they are the only party that actually fight for the people. I don’t like the fact that the other 2 just joined together to keep them out. If they were the biggest party they should be in power.
I feel like there’s a lot of misconceptions about what’s “free” up here. The NHS isn’t gifted to us, it’s funded by taxpayers and if you actually need proper healthcare in a timely fashion most people have to pay privately. If you’re lucky enough to get sorted through the NHS you’ll end up in Dublin or Cork a lot of the time. If you live in the 6 counties and your child needs heart surgery, that surgery happens in Dublin. Next to impossible to get an NHS dentist, I’ve been paying privately for almost 20 years. We used to pay for prescriptions here too and with all the budget cuts it looks like it’s coming back.

We do pay for bin collections in the form of rates. Not a small bill, mine is close to £2k per annum. School dinners are extortion unless you’re entitled to free meals. My boys go to Subway or the deli counters because it’s cheaper than the canteen. We pay school fund every September. £150 per child. Strict uniform policies in most schools here meaning you’re shelling out hundreds for uniform. I’m sure I’ve spent a couple of hundred on text books this term too. We pay for art supplies too, paint palette, brushes, art folder and sketch pad were all paid for, specific brands too bought through school so you can’t get cheaper versions. Scientific calculator must be bought through school, they’re only allowed to use that particular type.
Food prices much the same as the south these days. Fuel more expensive. Wages abysmal in comparison. My husband has a fairly niche job in a particular industry where he liases with his southern counterparts all the time. Taking the exchange rate into account they get paid 3 times what he does.

• Heart
Reactions: 17

labdheh

I’ll be honest, I’m not very clued in on the OO and Unionism/Nationalism, I grew up with no real influence on either side of the argument.

However what I do know is that I am not fond of the intimidation and culture hate crimes that happen at bonfires and parades. Unfortunately I don’t agree with the statement of being inclusive. My colleagues husband would not allow me in their home since I am a “fenian” in his eyes.

I believe the DUP also have a lot to answer for in terms of holding Northern Ireland back from development.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 14

Wee Nora

VIP Member
I’m not aiming this comment at anyone but depression or mental health issues will not check your C.V or career prospects before it comes knocking. It can and does affect anyone. I’m not sure what age that lady’s child is but post natal depression/psychosis is all too often missed or untreated by medical staff and has destroyed many women who were previously in good mental health and often long after they’ve given birth. Maybe they’re not adequately trained how to spot the signs? Anyway I’m rambling but someone’s job really means nothing when it comes to MH.

• Heart
Reactions: 13

BigMavis

VIP Member
It's laughable at this point, I'm sure quite a few of us have gcse and a level in the subject, have Irish names and have given our kids the same. It's fucking ridiculous that people are offended and feel that somehow undermines how they view themselves. The truth is they hate Irish people and their identity they don't want to share northern Ireland, they've only ever wanted the community to work for unionists. They'll start this dung again about breaking up the union, if NI go Scotland will follow. Believe me Westminster have done everything in their power to scupper that idea, independence is as far away as ever for those guys.
They haven't done the same for NI and they're not going to, and I don't know if this is accurate but apparently they've allowed the loyalist side to destroy themselves with drugs, when they're distracted in that carry on they've not much chance of no surrender.
A border poll will have a huge campaign, everyone will know the score and pragmatic decisions need to happen. People treat the issue like opposing football teams and its not that, its your future and future citizens futures.
What the fuck would any nationalist want to remain in a united Kingdom for? I think its up to the DUP etc to start selling it to us but I'll not hold my breath.
You might be right about Irish citizens not voting yes, who could blame them eh? But they wouldn't bear the brunt financially alone the EU will ease that burden, investment from America etc. Since Brexit Ireland is in a very strong position globally for trade.
We probably would have some sort of devolved gov operating in the North following reunification it wouldn't be an overnight good bye to the UK, it would be transitional. But the big draw that is the NHS is tired now, we have the worst health service in the UK, having spoken to some family who work in it and locum in the South there's no comparison, they're definitely over it now. They're thinking about their pocket and HSE is less stressful.
What a rant.
Soz.

• Heart
Reactions: 12

Griftymcgriftface

VIP Member
So I’m creating a new thread and in true Bryson style I have just gone Rogue and made up a thread title in honour of our favourite non lawyer….

You can do a full recap but I’ll summarise

-the orange hall scumbag singers thought it was a good idea to have everyone’s favourite non lawyer representing them. Not a wise move
- a poor young girl has been murdered and we all send sympathy to her family. (Let’s remember we need to not speculate on the case)
-we have a stupid heatwave and I just want a thunderstorm to get the pollen away.
-Eamonn Holmes is loving life trying to bring Philip schofield down.

anything else to add…….

Justherefortittle

VIP Member
None of them should be given the time of day.

All problems of their own making and misplaced expectations.

If this country is to move on organisations like the OO need eliminated from political safeguarding.

If they want to March go rent a big field somewhere and get on with it amongst yourselves.

Same for bonfires, ban them all especially on communal lands and close to property.
Again big field somewhere you rent and get on with and do the clear up after.

Flegs well if you need to fly a piece of cloth to show your heritage hang it on you own home or have a coat made of it you wear all year round.

No other society would tolerate it.

• Heart

BigMavis

VIP Member
JeezeOO there was some sort of meeting about the Irish language last night and it was something else.
Poots was there 🥴
Essentially the language is chipping away at British identity. These people can't hear themselves.
How about get to fuck. How about learning some history on why the indigenous language of this island was almost eradicated by the British.
Manners will finally be put into themmuns and it'll be the Brits that do it. Delicious.

• Heart

Wee Nora

VIP Member
No business should suffer, in my local area there is a lot of work going into parades so that disruption to residents and businesses is kept to a minimum. I live between two towns one which holds quite a lot of gaa games and have on many occasion had to sit up to an hour to go to the supermarket, which then has extra staff on to ensure carpark is kept for customers. We are lucky enough in our local area that 99% of residents get on well together in a very mixed area and condcut themselves not to cause offence to anyone's believe
Ok I see where you’re going with this. GAA matches happen inside GAA grounds not in the middle of the road. It is not imposed on people, they’d have to pay their way at the gate in order to be offended. You can easily ignore it, it’s not being forced on you. My post hasn’t a single thing to do with anyone’s beliefs, I’ve said enough times I couldn’t care less if the OO march all day every day but I do care that it disrupts people’s lives and they have to stay inside their houses listening to a racket. If you want to draw comparisons- when music concerts are held at Croke Park the residents are compensated for the inconvenience. The GAA paid €500k to residents for the Garth Brooks concerts. See the difference?

Last edited:
  • Heart

monga

VIP Member
We’re still a failed state, thugs running the country, democracy is dead.

• Sad
Reactions: 11

Wee Nora

VIP Member
Hoping some day I’ll come on this thread and not see the same 2-3 people talking about the Orange order 🙈 you dislike it, some people like it. Can we leave it at that and move on please? I like to think we’re a pretty inclusive bunch for both sides, including those who might have friends and family in the OO that are decent people. I disagree with tarring a big group of people with the same brush xx
Last time I checked people could post about whatever they like and we talk about all sorts on here actually. It’s an NI thread and it’s July so you know… 🤷🏼‍♀️🤣 If you wish to post about your grá for the OO you’re welcome to do so.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 11

BigMavis

VIP Member
To be fair I don't see why we can't have dual language signs, money aside. When this place was being pumped with money it wasn't allowed. Why?
People here are British and Irish by law and they have a right to their language. The Welsh have had their language revival, i don't think that happened until the 90s open to correction but look how positive that has been. Paisley the old bastard may he burn eternally in the firey pits he preached about has brain washed many. At the turn of the last century Irish wasn't the language of peasants, it was used by scholars and the upper crust of both religions.
On a separate note what exactly do people want politicians to do about drugs, its a policing issue and councils have no funding other than clean up. It's all falling to the voluntary sector and they're rapidly in decline, breaking point is how it was described to me. They're just glad the deaths have calmed down. This is a society problem.
---
I feel like there’s a lot of misconceptions about what’s “free” up here. The NHS isn’t gifted to us, it’s funded by taxpayers and if you actually need proper healthcare in a timely fashion most people have to pay privately. If you’re lucky enough to get sorted through the NHS you’ll end up in Dublin or Cork a lot of the time. If you live in the 6 counties and your child needs heart surgery, that surgery happens in Dublin. Next to impossible to get an NHS dentist, I’ve been paying privately for almost 20 years. We used to pay for prescriptions here too and with all the budget cuts it looks like it’s coming back.

We do pay for bin collections in the form of rates. Not a small bill, mine is close to £2k per annum. School dinners are extortion unless you’re entitled to free meals. My boys go to Subway or the deli counters because it’s cheaper than the canteen. We pay school fund every September. £150 per child. Strict uniform policies in most schools here meaning you’re shelling out hundreds for uniform. I’m sure I’ve spent a couple of hundred on text books this term too. We pay for art supplies too, paint palette, brushes, art folder and sketch pad were all paid for, specific brands too bought through school so you can’t get cheaper versions. Scientific calculator must be bought through school, they’re only allowed to use that particular type.
Food prices much the same as the south these days. Fuel more expensive. Wages abysmal in comparison. My husband has a fairly niche job in a particular industry where he liases with his southern counterparts all the time. Taking the exchange rate into account they get paid 3 times what he does.
There's definitely misconceptions. My family in the south used our address to get their kids braces, that was 30 years ago, but I frequently get requests to get things on prescription to send down to them. Obviously it doesn't work like that, so I often end up buying whatever in the pharmacy and posting it.
Including libres which are not cheap they just thought I'd get extra. Eventually I had to explain.
Our services are at breaking point and to be honest I'd rather people were slapped a fee for attending A&E because its a joke on both staff and very ill patients. See next year there'll be nothing in schools, the budgets are gone, teachers are paying out of their own pocket so kids don't get left behind or suffer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10

Wee Nora

VIP Member
Do you look like her? You one of the beautiful people Nora?
Well according to Tommy Tiernan I do 🤣 a few people have said it before. It might just be the hair 🤔 she wears some mental outfits, would like to think I have better dress sense 😂
---
Ok girls… how many pints before you would ride Bryson? For me I’m full on closing the legs but some of you might have a thing!

Paddy Kielty though! He got himself a complete worldie in Kat deeley so he either has a massive wang or is a top shagger. Hopefully both!
Sorry but my vagina staples itself shut at the mere mention of Bryson. You’d have better chance getting English sausages through Larne Port than Jamie’s chipolata getting any where my fenian fanny 🙅🏼‍♀️
---
Ok girls… how many pints before you would ride Bryson? For me I’m full on closing the legs but some of you might have a thing!

Paddy Kielty though! He got himself a complete worldie in Kat deeley so he either has a massive wang or is a top shagger. Hopefully both!
Sorry but my vagina staples itself shut at the mere mention of Bryson. You’d have better chance getting English sausages through Larne Port than Jamie’s chipolata getting any where near my fenian fanny 🙅🏼‍♀️

• Haha

BigMavis

VIP Member
People who like to smell nice, I bought a hair and body mist from primark called wild azalea.
Highly recommend. I is now an influencer.

• Haha

Wee Nora

VIP Member
If it’s good enough for Harry Styles then Poots should shut his cake hole 😂 or should I say houl his whist 😂

• Haha
  • Heart

Et tu Brute?

VIP Member
Would someone like to explain the ladies outfits to me please? Were they purchased from Emma Little Pengelly’s vinted account?
The “ladies” always get me. Saying that, the usual suspects normally look like ugly men. Sorry, not sorry

• Haha

msmith2006

VIP Member
I realise I come from a mixed background so I have no massive affinity to either "side" but the 12th parades have always baffled me. Is it not just common sense to have these parades in Unionist/Loyalist areas?? Why not just keep it to your areas so all who want to enjoy it, can do so in peace?
No stirring tensions, no threat of things kicking off?

Like is it just me or is that not obvious :ROFLMAO:

Griftymcgriftface

VIP Member
I’m going to potentially say the most controversial thing ever on this thread.

wait for it……

Seriously..,,,

I can’t believe I am going to confess this…

I would probably ride turbidy after 3 glasses of wine,

• Haha
  • Sick

Wee Nora

VIP Member
Ah Jamie, Erin Brockovich you are nat! 🤣

I’ve just managed to convince my 16 year old that Clint Eastwood is originally from the bogside and is Colum Eastwood’s Da. Slightly concerned about how gullible he is. I hope I haven’t reared a Bryson? 😬😂

• Haha

BANRÍON

on another note - there is a man in a balaclava running round coleraine train station with a machete!!! what the hell is the world coming to

• Wow