Northern Ireland #11

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Then you’ll have people say you don’t know your white privilege 🤷🏼‍♀️
I’ve most definitely experienced racism as a white person, deliberately, from a black person and it could have endangered me.

In Ireland and Northern Ireland we have definitely experienced much prejudice, not necessarily racism but Abbott knows nothing of the struggles of Irish people.
---
Well then, we’ve experienced much racism too - from Abbott herself 🤦🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 4
I'm critical of the members of the travelling community who stole from me but I've had positive experiences too. I guess I'm probably quite prejudiced.

Reactions: 3
A few days ago Sky news referenced a white man in the title of an article , there was also an article involving non whites with no reference
to their colour in the title, why is it acceptable to point out the white man but outcry when the tables are turned…I don’t think we would’ve got on the bus back then..

Last edited:
A lot of it is a hangover from the Victorian mindset about order. Its been a while but I'm sure the Irish were right at the bottom along with black people and Italians?

Reactions: 2
I think the fact that Abbott has apparently backtracked and claimed it was a draft or something is telling. Like why send it if it was a draft? Saw someone on twitter suggesting that the observer shouldn’t have published it, presumably because it would make her look bad.
she has experienced lots of awful racism herself as a politician. She has also at times came across as completely incompetent too.

People were saying the Biden leprechaun sketch was racist. Personally it didn’t offend me but and I don’t think I’d call it racist, a prejudiced stereotype perhaps but clearly other people feel differently to me as is their right.

It was viewed by many as racism, but a "fun racism"
I remember attending a lecture many moons ago learning that the international sign for Irish was flicking your shoulder as if you were removing a flea. Also racist. I believe that sign has been rightfully removed. People would be up in arms if Northern Irish unionists were seen as an ethnic minority, let's face it they are, and started to fiercely portray them as troglodytes or uneducated pallet burners. That is why we don't stereotype, it gets very dangerous and people who like to cry about everything get extremely butt hurt

I suppose the Biden sketch was intended to offend, it didn’t come from a kind natured place so I guess in that sense I can see why people felt it was racist.
My SIL lives and works in London and says there’s a huge culture of after work drinks. She says her English colleagues are always surprised that she goes straight home after work what with the Irish being functioning alcoholics and all 🙄

Remember we were barred from the pubs for long enough 😂
---
Every person with an Irish accent is an IRA bomber.

I wonder how Jamie feels about the back of the bus reference, every bloody day he uses that.

I wonder how Jamie feels about the back of the bus reference, every bloody day he uses that.
His Nationalist supremacist BS is so at odds with the actual reality. Unionists will never have to endure the treatment Nationalists did. Equality isn’t oppression wee man.

His Nationalist supremacist BS is so at odds with the actual reality. Unionists will never have to endure the treatment Nationalists did. Equality isn’t oppression wee man.
Important to listen carefully to that language and those concerns. This is like a very long and painful breakup, the writing has been on the wall since the early 90s and Westminster started to talk to republicans. Some people just refuse to accept its over. If you look carefully at the small print northern Irish unionists are actually an ethnic minority but its wrapped up in other language.

The fisrt time I heard the phrase "Throwing a paddy" was on Tattle. I had to google it to make sure the root of the phrase is what I thought it was. Have others heard it used before? If it was any other country would people be throwing around phrases like that!?

The fisrt time I heard the phrase "Throwing a paddy" was on Tattle. I had to google it to make sure the root of the phrase is what I thought it was. Have others heard it used before? If it was any other country would people be throwing around phrases like that!?
What does it mean?

What does it mean?
From urban dictionary:

A dated and offensive expression generally used by English people to describe someone having an over the top strop.

Offensively refers to Irish people as "paddys" and their "over the top sulking" when it came to the English stealing Irish land, pillaging and their refusal to grant the Irish their independence for a long time.
It implies unreasonableness, obstinacy and an inability to control the temper (which go nicely with drunkeness and violence of course).

• Wow
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.