Northern food

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I used to work in a very fancy (northern) hotel that had potato cakes and black pudding often on the starter menu - was delicious

Reactions: 2
I think the farls are quite easy to make as I once looked up a recipe. I like them with eggs.

Reactions: 1
Other things I've noticed as a Londoner living up North.

- Virtually no one knows what a Savaloy is.
- They have scallops up here. I thought it was a sea creature - its slices of potato, battered.
- Many Northern Chinese take aways serve a chow mein completely different to what I'm accustomed to, its all WET!
- Calzones are popular.
- Mash is served on a roast dinner.
- Northerners think pie, mash and liquor looks revolting.
- Chips are always ordered alongside an Indian.
- Bin lids.
- Pea wet.
- Chicken shops arent for hanging out in.
- breakfast, dinner, tea as opposed to breakfast, lunch, dinner.
- Red sauce for Ketchup.
Where in the North are you? Dicksons pork butchers sell savaloy dips . . . bloody lovely!!

Do other areas have rice with their curry & chips too? Or is that more a Liverpool thing!?
I'm from the north east and that's my favourite thing from the chinese, all in one container. You can get just about every combination of sauce, rice, chips or noodles round here!!

I don’t actually know what it is, it’s like a spread made from split peas I think, usually have it with ham sandwiches haha
Ham and pease pudding stottie is to die for!! Pease pudding is split peas. I boil them in ham stock with some of the boiled ham and onion till it goes mushy then loads of butter and black pepper. My mouth is watering now 😂 😂

I live in Warrington.
Ah, Dicksons are only in the North east, I think. Well worth a trip across the Pennines!!

Reactions: 3
Ham and pease pudding stottie is to die for!! Pease pudding is split peas. I boil them in ham stock with some of the boiled ham and onion till it goes mushy then loads of butter and black pepper. My mouth is watering now 😂 😂

Ah, Dicksons are only in the North east, I think. Well worth a trip across the Pennines!!
My mum, from S. Yorkshire, used to make that a lot, in a soup version after cooking a ham.

What about chicken parmo?
Yes!!!!!
Best thing ever to come out of Teesside (or Middlesbrough to be specific) ... nothing better than indulging in about 5,000 calories in one sitting... the question is tho, salad or creamed cabbage?!?

I was just about to ask about a parmo! Definitely originated in Boro but I wonder how far it’s travelled.
I once had a parmo in magaluf... not really something to be proud of but I guess Majorca is a fair distance from Boro

Reactions: 2
Yes!!!!!
Best thing ever to come out of Teesside (or Middlesbrough to be specific) ... nothing better than indulging in about 5,000 calories in one sitting... the question is tho, salad or creamed cabbage?!?

I once had a parmo in magaluf... not really something to be proud of but I guess Majorca is a fair distance from Boro
What is a parmo?😬

What is a parmo?😬
A parmo is a Teesside ‘delicacy’ also known as a heart attack on a plate.
Imagine the following... breaded chicken breast (or pork fillet 🤮🤮) flattened and deep fried. The crusty fillet is then smothered in white sauce (bechamel for the cultured amongst us) and a very liberal application of the orangest cheese possible. The calorie laden object is then grilled to melt the cheese... seriously it sounds horrendous but dear god, it tastes amazing!

• Haha
Reactions: 7
A parmo is a Teesside ‘delicacy’ also known as a heart attack on a plate.
Imagine the following... breaded chicken breast (or pork fillet 🤮🤮) flattened and deep fried. The crusty fillet is then smothered in white sauce (bechamel for the cultured amongst us) and a very liberal application of the orangest cheese possible. The calorie laden object is then grilled to melt the cheese... seriously it sounds horrendous but dear god, it tastes amazing!
As a fellow Teessider I can say they are amazing!!

Newcastle lass here!
Stotties (and stottie pizzas!)
Peach melbas from greggs
Curry, rice and chips from the Chinese takeaway 😍
Pease pudding (fresh and homemade -please don't ever eat pease pudding from a tin 🤢)
Panackelty
Singin Hinnies
And the absolutely stunning saveloy dip 🥰🥰

Ye
We love chips and gravy in wales too but I’ve not seen it in any English chippies other than when we’ve been in Lancashire with family. We’re also partial to a good scotch egg here too!
Some of my family live in chesterfield, and they’ve always had chips and gravy, Infact, they find it very strange that we don’t do it in Essex.!! I actually really like it, but only with a pie or pasty and chips, I couldn’t have gravy on fish!!

ETA: Nice to see on the conspiracy thread! Are you going to join in and post something?

Newcastle lass here!
Stotties (and stottie pizzas!)
Peach melbas from greggs
Curry, rice and chips from the Chinese takeaway 😍
Pease pudding (fresh and homemade -please don't ever eat pease pudding from a tin 🤢)
Panackelty
Singin Hinnies
And the absolutely stunning saveloy dip 🥰🥰
Bloody love Curry, Rice & Chips

Can't beat a ham and pease pudding stottie! I was fuming when Greggs up north stopped selling them.

I'm now down south and can't get any decent pease pudding anywhere, the pease pudding in a tin in Sainsburys is VILE. I could probably try to make my own but.. effort! I always bring back like 4 pots of the stuff when I visit.

Can't beat a ham and pease pudding stottie! I was fuming when Greggs up north stopped selling them.

I'm now down south and can't get any decent pease pudding anywhere, the pease pudding in a tin in Sainsburys is VILE. I could probably try to make my own but.. effort! I always bring back like 4 pots of the stuff when I visit.
If you google it, you can but it fresh online 😀

what about cornflake tarts? Had never heard of them seem to be from South Shields area?