Northern food

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ye

Some of my family live in chesterfield, and they’ve always had chips and gravy, Infact, they find it very strange that we don’t do it in Essex.!! I actually really like it, but only with a pie or pasty and chips, I couldn’t have gravy on fish!!

ETA: Nice to see on the conspiracy thread! Are you going to join in and post something?
Oh thats so close to me. My parner always has chips, gravy and a cob from the chippy.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Henderson's Relish
Breadcakes
Parkin?
"Hendos" - know someone who never goes on his Holidays anywhere in the World without a bottle in his suitcase. We don't live in Yorkshire now so have to get our son to bring it over with him as we can't buy it anywhere. (Vegan/Vegetarian Worcestershire sauce for those who don't know)
Parkin - love it and still make it on Bonfire Night.
Breadcakes - ours was always Teacakes, plain or currant.

Probably going to start a literal bun fight here but to me (Lancashire), a barm is a bread roll, a muffin is toasted, a teacake has currants and is toasted, a cob is crusty and a baton is a longer version of a barm (like a subway roll). When at uni in Yorkshire I was very confused by a chip bread cake !!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I rely on family bringing it to me now as we've moved South. Never seen it here :(
Look on the Sainsbury’s website. That is where I saw it. It took me a while to track it down though. I got mine in the wintertime and an employee found it for me on an unlabelled top shelf in a box. I never would have found it. Also consider contacting their Customer Service department as well. What do you use yours with?

Look on the Sainsbury’s website. That is where I saw it. It took me a while to track it down though. I got mine in the wintertime and an employee found it for me on an unlabelled top shelf in a box. I never would have found it. Also consider contacting their Customer Service department as well. What do you use yours with?
On pie crusts or anything like that with similar pastry and then we make this meal with it that's a complete mix of stuff. We brown mince and onions then add gravy and Hendos. Then in a separate pan we cook pasta and sweetcorn, and then mix it all together. Then add more relish. Probably sound vile but is actually very tasty

Reactions: 2
On pie crusts or anything like that with similar pastry and then we make this meal with it that's a complete mix of stuff. We brown mince and onions then add gravy and Hendos. Then in a separate pan we cook pasta and sweetcorn, and then mix it all together. Then add more relish. Probably sound vile but is actually very tasty
No, doesn’t sound vile at all. I like it on stews and thick soups.

I’ve seen a couple of different brands in London supermarkets. They are delicious! Aren’t they originally Irish/Scottish?

They’re tattie scones for us Scottish. My Irish husband calls them farls. I’m not even bias but they’re 1000% better in Scotland. So much thinner and tastier. Too thick in England and Ireland.

Scousers are obsessed with salt n pepper everything from the Chinese, salt n pepper chicken, chips, siu Mai. You name it we salt n pepper it 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Can’t beat a bit of Hendo’s! Also a fan of oatcakes- for the uninitiated they are like giant pancake like crumpets. Found selected sainsburys sell them so I buy in bulk whenever I see them! 🙈😂

Can’t beat a bit of Hendo’s! Also a fan of oatcakes- for the uninitiated they are like giant pancake like crumpets. Found selected sainsburys sell them so I buy in bulk whenever I see them! 🙈😂
Love Oatcakes with sausage and melted cheese. Grew up in the potteries and had them every Saturday. Moved away since but my local sainsburys sells them.

• Heart
Love Oatcakes with sausage and melted cheese. Grew up in the potteries and had them every Saturday. Moved away since but my local sainsburys sells them.
Oh man why have I never had sausage and melted cheese?! I’m actually drooling 😂😂😂

• Haha