Northern food

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Other things I've noticed as a Londoner living up North.

- Virtually no one knows what a Savaloy is.
- They have scallops up here. I thought it was a sea creature - its slices of potato, battered.
- Many Northern Chinese take aways serve a chow mein completely different to what I'm accustomed to, its all WET!
- Calzones are popular.
- Mash is served on a roast dinner.
- Northerners think pie, mash and liquor looks revolting.
- Chips are always ordered alongside an Indian.
- Bin lids.
- Pea wet.
- Chicken shops arent for hanging out in.
- breakfast, dinner, tea as opposed to breakfast, lunch, dinner.
- Red sauce for Ketchup.
I was gonna ask about a savaloy :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: never seen them anywhere north of like norfolk

• Haha
Reactions: 3

- They have scallops up here. I thought it was a sea creature - its slices of potato, battered.
- Many Northern Chinese take aways serve a chow mein completely different to what I'm accustomed to, its all WET!
- Calzones are popular.
- Bin lids.
- Pea wet.
- Red sauce for Ketchup.
I honestly thought the whole country would has mash on a roast dinner.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I honestly thought the whole country would has mash on a roast dinner.
I thought it was so exotic 🤣

I had never seen anybody serve mash on a roast until I moved up here. I even do it myself now and my dad thinks I'm strange.

They also talk about "remembering the pop man". I certainly dont recall any pop men being around growing up in London. We dont even call it pop.

• Heart
Reactions: 4

I had never seen anybody serve mash on a roast until I moved up here. I even do it myself now and my dad thinks I'm strange.

They also talk about "remembering the pop man". I certainly dont recall any pop men being around growing up in London. We dont even call it pop.
Oh yes I forgot about the pop man. Those were the days.

Reactions: 1
I was just about to ask about a parmo! Definitely originated in Boro but I wonder how far it’s travelled.
I have had them in Spain :) Local Baker is from Boro and was asked to make one and they had become popular now.

My husband was the Corona Pop Man during Uni hols many years ago.

Reactions: 3
What about curry on chip shop chips? Do people have that everywhere? You can’t beat chip shop curry!
Do other areas have rice with their curry & chips too? Or is that more a Liverpool thing!?

What about a Wigan Barm -- meat pie in a bread roll. :)

Do other areas have rice with their curry & chips too? Or is that more a Liverpool thing!?
Called Half and Half - half rice, half chips and curry.

Saveloy was popular in Midlands

- Calzones are popular.
- Bin lids.
- Pea wet.
- Red sauce for Ketchup.
whats pea wet?

I live in Wales and remember the pop van. It was like a milk man but he delivered fizzy pop in a bottle and would leave it on the step, then you’d put out the used bottles. They had the obvious stuff like lemonade, fizzy orange and cola, but also quirky stuff like limeade and pineappleade. but my personal favourite cherryade, just thinking about cherryade reminds me of my Nana. It was amazing!

Reactions: 5
The other week I was in New Brighton and noticed that people were going into the chippy and coming out with a fried egg on top of their chips. A new one on me and presumably a Liverpool/Merseyside thing? They also call ice lollies lolly iceds and refer to Asda as ‘The Asda’.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
The other week I was in New Brighton and noticed that people were going into the chippy and coming out with a fried egg on top of their chips. A new one on me and presumably a Liverpool/Merseyside thing? They also call ice lollies lolly iceds and refer to Asda as ‘The Asda’.
Haha I'm from Liverpool and I've not seen people getting a fried egg on their chips? Maybe more New Brighton/the Wirral thing?

I can confirm the other things though; it is a Lolly Ice and The Asda! 😂 It's a slippery slop though.. you start finding yourself putting a "the" in front of a lot of shops/places! 😄

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Haha I'm from Liverpool and I've not seen people getting a fried egg on their chips? Maybe more New Brighton/the Wirral thing?

I can confirm the other things though; it is a Lolly Ice and The Asda! 😂 It's a slippery slop though.. you start finding yourself putting a "the" in front of a lot of shops/places! 😄
My Mum lived in Liverpool as a teenager and still talks about how much she loved ‘Scouse’ which is like a stew I believe? Someone told her Irish stew was the same thing and she tried it once and said it was nothing like it at all.

Reactions: 5
Isn’t scouse similar to hot pot but without the pastry lid. Hot pot supper common in Lancs, eg ‘bingo with hot pot supper’, often served with pickled red cabbage and mushy peas

I'm from the middle part of the UK and we have chips with gravy and chips with curry sauce. My uktimage favourite was German though, chips with paprika and mayo. Heaven on a plate.

I was gonna ask about a savaloy :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: never seen them anywhere north of like norfolk
We have them in the Midlands

My Mum lived in Liverpool as a teenager and still talks about how much she loved ‘Scouse’ which is like a stew I believe? Someone told her Irish stew was the same thing and she tried it once and said it was nothing like it at all.
When I first moved up North (that place in between liverpool and manchester 🤣) a woman who I was living with would make what she called "scouse" it was delicious, more rich than an Irish stew. Simular but not quite the same.

Corn beef hash seems to be a Northern thing, I hadn't come across that before moving here. I cant say I am keen tho. Only because corn beef I can imagine is what human meat must be like.

I haven't read through everyone's comments yet so not sure if this has been mentioned but... Parched peas?? My husband is northern and I'd never heard of eaten them before meeting him.

Never known it to be called a bread cake up north haha well from Sunderland anyway
My husband is northern and calls it a barm cake 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 2

We got Curry's or Alpine van for out fizzy drinks You got 10p or 20p back on a glass bottle.Is it just west of Scotland that called any fizzy drinks ginger ?