Northern food

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I haven't read through everyone's comments yet so not sure if this has been mentioned but... Parched peas?? My husband is northern and I'd never heard of eaten them before meeting him.

My husband is northern and calls it a barm cake 🤷‍♀️
Parched peas are a Preston thing I think, nice with salt and vinegar

Reactions: 3
Fish & chips with mushy peas and curry sauce on the side.. 😋. It’s also served in north west wales! And oh I remember the pop man very well, it was a company called Alpine. I used to get so excited when the truck pulled up, they did unusual flavours like cream soda which was bright green, raspberry, and dandelion and burdock.

Reactions: 4
My Mum lived in Liverpool as a teenager and still talks about how much she loved ‘Scouse’ which is like a stew I believe? Someone told her Irish stew was the same thing and she tried it once and said it was nothing like it at all.
Ah I love Scouse! It is essentially just a stew, and quite similar to Irish Stew, but each household has their own way of making it! 🙂

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Do you have London cheesecakes outside of London? No cheese! Flaky pastry, jam, icing and coconut. I like the sound of the Manchester tarts.
I've never known what these were called, they are gorgeous but I rarely see them!

As a Londoner I'm stereotyped as eating eels. I do not eat eels. I find the whole idea of them revolting. Along with whelks and things of that nature.

Do you have London cheesecakes outside of London? No cheese! Flaky pastry, jam, icing and coconut. I like the sound of the Manchester tarts.
Aldi sell them (well my one in Cambridgeshire does!)

Lovely.

Mustard - I like the sound of the Manchester tarts.

Best ones I have had were from Bury Market - delicious. The Black Pudding and Black Peas from the same market are also famous (although the peas are brown. :))

I was just about to ask about a parmo! Definitely originated in Boro but I wonder how far it’s travelled.
I wish they did the near me. They look amazinggggg. Salad, slaw and chips on the side 🤤🤤

I’m sure chippy sauce is an Edinburgh thing. Don’t think Glaswegians have it as much? It’s basically brown sauce with vinegar in it.
Chippies in Scotland are a different kettle of fish to chippies in England too. Can’t beat a pizza crunch covered in chippy sauce 😂
Pizza crunch ❤

• Heart
I'd murder one right now :love: :LOL:
School lunchtime was always a roll and fritter from the chippy 😊

I have never managed to find square sausage or nice potato scones in London. They don’t know what they are missing.

Reactions: 2
Having a debate about scotch eggs and wondering if it’s just a northern thing (north east) or if it’s a British thing in general?
Scotch eggs became very fashionable in London foodie pubs about 10 years ago. Handmade, not from a packet, obvs! Pub round the corner from me started serving them after they had a revamp.

Potato cakes covered in butter
Are they like a potato farl?

Scotch eggs became very fashionable in London foodie pubs about 10 years ago. Handmade, not from a packet, obvs! Pub round the corner from me started serving them after they had a revamp.

Are they like a potato farl?
Yes potato cakes and farls are basically the same thing.

Reactions: 2