Niomi Smart #5 Onwards, upwards, but not Woodwards

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This reminds me of a video of hers I watched years ago with my boyfriend for some reason. It was when she was still with Marcus and she was so giddy, excitedly exclaiming she was being "so naughty" by eating a whole can of corn by herself :eek::eek::eek: My boyfriend and I still joke about that to this day lol
#madlass
this is beyond parody

• Haha
Reactions: 19
I agree with the comments about her portion sizes and unhealthy relationship with food, what I don't understand is why there are so many veganphobic people in this thread alluding to the fact that men can't/don't want to be vegan and they must always be craving a steak?

Not saying that Joe had to be vegan because of Niomi, but don't you think he might've enjoyed *normal* vegan meals while dining out or while he was in India?

(smoothie bowls excluded)

Also, what I find so incredibly ironic is how there always seems to be a discussion about toxic masculinity and patriarchy but doesn't the notion that men have to eat meat in order to be "manly" fall under toxic masculinity?

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 52
There's so many gems in her old videos

(At Joe about to bake 3 burgers)
"are you cooking 3 burgers?"
View attachment 230724

(Moves to a close up shot to show the now 4 burgers)
"4 burgers for 2 people *passive aggressive giggle*"
View attachment 230725

Is it not that normal to have two burgers as an adult? especially when niomi had an intense yoga session that day!

She makes him justify wanting two burgers.

View attachment 230733
Wow, she does not have a healthy relationship with food. I don’t see any issues with an adult eating 2 burgers for dinner, especially not a tall adult male! Plus they can easily save and reheat any leftovers. I would be so fed up if my SO made comments like this all the time.
Zoe does similar, always talking about her tiny portions (although hers are tiny portions of unhealthy foods, unlike Niomi).

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
If it's abusive when the roles are reversed, it's surely abusive when it's this way round too. I agree we live in a patriarchal society, but toxic masculinity is a big part of that and a big problem. Saying things like 'big men can just eat what they want so they're not affected by EDs' contributes to toxic masculinity, the idea that being big and manly and autonomous meaning you should somehow be immune to someone picking apart what you eat all the time and if you're not then you're 'less of a big man.' Part of being able to deconstruct all this is surely about recognising things like men in controlling relationships and men who suffer eating disorders, and not downplaying it in this way when it does happen.

You're right that she has a problem and I omitted that from my posts as I was focusing on Joe, but for the avoidance of doubt I think she at least has orthorexia and really needs help for that. However her being unwell and not getting help for it yet doesn't justify her controlling the food of people around her either. Orthorexia is so dangerous because people justify it as being healthy eating, I'm sure she's never said to Joe 'that's a food that will make you fat' but 'Joeyyyy don't you want to be healthy?' so often orthorexia isn't even picked up or people (e.g. her family - how has nobody said anything to her?) let it slide.

Edit just to add: it's pretty well recognised now that controlling behaviour is abusive behaviour. I think sometimes people get very wound up about not calling something 'abusive' even when we agree it's coercive or controlling. Maybe it's uncomfortable as 'abusive' has connotations of being physical but this isn't the case anymore. Whether it's called controlling or abusive it's all much of a muchness, tbh. I am struggling that anyone could see those stills of his face in the tea and toast incident and not think there's something troubling about his facial expressions and response to her.
Thanks for saying this, my boyfriend suffered really badly with eating disorders years ago and it was only made worse by an ex who would do things like slap cake out of his hand
I think it's abhorrent to dismiss men's suffering and excuse women's abusive behaviour on account of the patriarchy

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 16
I had a friend who was like this, eating around her was so stressful as she'd have like 2 bites them complain how full she was when she hadn't eaten anything, wouldn't eat bread/pasta etc. Of course, then she would get drunk and eat a kilo of pasta. She's now vegan which is just another way she is able to refuse to eat a lot of the time.
I also have a friend that behave like that.
She will criticize the food that people eat all the time. Once I was telling her that I was having tomato salad in November, and her replied was ‘is not even in season’. Another time she told me that 9pm is too late for dinner and she would meditate instead. I am not even sure if she has eating disorder, all I know is that all these crazy obsession about healthy food and diet, makes me not want to hang out with her.

Lastly Toast > smoothie bowl (making a marmite toast for myself now)

Reactions: 9
I've just rewatched her WIEIAD in Lockdown and her food and exercise issues are 😔 a 10k run in the morning and then an hour of yoga because she felt like she hadn't moved. I do feel bad for her...
All her interactions with Joe seemed so sweet and genuine in that vlog though, from mid May

Reactions: 10
It blows my mind how many videos she eats plain-ass boring-ass tasteless food and goes "MMMMMMmmmmm... that's delicious!" without even giving the food half a second in her mouth.
IMG_20200902_100526.jpg

This is what they had before the 10k, not even coffee or strong tea to wake up although she mentions Joey had a rough night sleeping in the heat. No wonder he looked so tired nonstop.

After the 10 k she said they'd have a filling lunch, he had an acai bowl with a smoothie, she had one slice of avo toast. I'm certain him sneaking out later to wash the car was to get a burger 😜😜😜
And yeah, she had to comment on him eating a banana before the race. It was really fuelling 🙊🙊
That guy had the patience of a saint, would end up in dishes getting thrown in my house if such comments were made nonstop on both sides

Reactions: 15
all her food has the same flavour profile anyway, anything savoury is just nutritional yeast and vegetables. I want to know what Joe's first meal after breakup was :LOL:

I think she's got such a bad relationship with food she's not even conscious of doing it tbh. she looks horrified when he suggests he will eat toast for example. I'd love abbie sharp to do a video on her, I am always curious how many (or few) calories she eats
I was just thinking myself what Abbie Sharp would have to say about some of her What I Eat in a Day videos.

I agree with the comments about her portion sizes and unhealthy relationship with food, what I don't understand is why there are so many veganphobic people in this thread alluding to the fact that men can't/don't want to be vegan and they must always be craving a steak?

Not saying that Joe had to be vegan because of Niomi, but don't you think he might've enjoyed *normal* vegan meals while dining out or while he was in India?

Also, what I find so incredibly ironic is how there always seems to be a discussion about toxic masculinity and patriarchy but doesn't the notion that men have to eat meat in order to be "manly" fall under toxic masculinity?
Some of us are vegetarian and try to eat a lot of vegan foods, my bf as well, it's the fact that it never seems his choice, he's shamed into eating what she chooses and how much she chooses.

Reactions: 9
We Are Never Getting Back Together by Taylor Swift - As told by Joe Woodward

I remember when we broke up, the first time

Saying, ‘This is it, I’ve had enough’

Cause like, you haven’t let me eat toast in a month

When you, said you, needed smoothie bowls (what?)

Then you come around again say
‘Joey, I miss you and I swear I’m gonna change, trust me’

Remember how that lasted for a day?
I say, ‘I’m hungry’, you freak out, we argue, I’m STARVING!!!!

Ooh, oh-oh, oh-oh

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 97
I think she's got such a bad relationship with food she's not even conscious of doing it tbh. she looks horrified when he suggests he will eat toast for example. I'd love abbie sharp to do a video on her, I am always curious how many (or few) calories she eats
I'm inclined to agree although I find the idea that NOBODY has ever said anything to her about it totally wild! Maybe Freddie did and it caused a big row.

Joe wasn't plant based when he met Niomi. If he wanted to be PB, surely he'd be PB by the time he met her - isn't he in his 30s? I don't think it's unreasonable to think that he might not want to be PB even if he does enjoy eating that food sometimes, and doesn't everyone? Lots of everyday foods are PB - it always winds me up when people on Facebook say stuff like 'I'm not eating that vegan muck' or whatever, can only assume they don't eat beans/potatoes/most bread, etc etc. Plus didn't someone say his Dad ate PB meals often so I'm sure if he wanted to be PB of his own volition he would've been before he met her?

I personally don't care if he's PB or not. What I care about is it seems pretty obvious he doesn't want to be 100% PB and Niomi has forced it upon him, and I don't mean holding him down and shovelling smoothie bowls down his throat, but shaming him whenever he eats something she doesn't approve of or doesn't fit her diet. Others have mentioned it's not even a case of her being just PB, she is very very strictly clean eating, bread is too much for her, never really see her eating PB junk food, the disgust at eating PB cheese or PB meat replacements. It's not about the plant based food at all to be honest it's the fact that someone is controlling someone else's diet, and I'd honestly feel that same way if it were the other way around e.g. Niomi was a complete carnivore and Joe was veggie, and she was always trying to get him to eat meat.

The other issue is we know Niomi isn't actually vegan but eats a plant based diet and claims it's about health to her when really it seems very much like it's a tool to keep her weight down. Lots of anorexics become plant based after treatment to maintain control over their diet in some way. So there is a lot to unpack, really. If she was really into the whole vegan lifestyle and it was genuine, I would be out here saying he knew that when they got together and if he isn't able to tolerate her lifestyle then he has no room to complain when she's always lived this way since they got together. In that case, why should she change for him? I don't think she should. But, it really seems like for Niomi it's not at all about the ethics of it - hence the big cars, the leather, the fast fashion, etc etc - and is totally about control of food whether that's her plate or his. Which is why, as you rightly point out, it's not just the PB eating but also the portion size.

Thanks for saying this, my boyfriend suffered really badly with eating disorders years ago and it was only made worse by an ex who would do things like slap cake out of his hand
I think it's abhorrent to dismiss men's suffering and excuse women's abusive behaviour on account of the patriarchy
Me too, it honestly drives me nuts.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
im new but I’ve been lurking for the past 3 weeks and don’t know how to quote people (sorry) but the burger vid just pushed me over the edge so I have to comment.

“Is it not that normal to have two burgers as an adult? especially when niomi had an intense yoga session that day!

She makes him justify wanting two burgers.”

She is being absolutely unreasonable and deluded here. It is completely normal to have 2 burgers as an adult. My boyfriend is the same age as Joe and is also tall, he ALWAYS has two burgers, I’m a tall girl so most of the time I do too. Hell when we go to Burger King he gets 2 there as well. Believe it or not I’m into fitness as well. My bf is not overweight or anything, or unhealthy (inb4 Burger King is unhealthy lol I know but you know what I mean) He’s just a TALL GROWN ASS MAN. They need double the amount of food/energy.

i would never dare try to question how much my bf needs to eat to feel full, or even imply he should eat the same portions as me! Absolutely ridiculous, idk how joe put up with it for so long

Reactions: 24
The way to a man's heart. It's not giving him a feckin smoothie bowl. How could anyone live in that lentil, nettle tea ,protien powder guji berry world.
I find it too extreme. Princess gluten, dairy, fun free never looked healthy to me. I bet Joe has binged on Big Macs, KFC and kebabs. I would be on the Jack Daniels if I had to live in lock down with Goop.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
I was just thinking myself what Abbie Sharp would have to say about some of her What I Eat in a Day videos.
Right! Especially the ones with her making comments about Joe's food.

Does anyone know what Joe was like pre- Niomi? I have a loose theory that perhaps, since she presents herself as an expert in all things health, Joe maybe did look to her for advice on health and nutrition early on in their relationship. and if so, maybe that led to her being taking the lead on their food/nutrition. and then we start to see the breakdown with Joe starting to say no or that he wants something else/different. and then Niomi, not being used to no longer being the boss of all things food reacts to this loss of control.

Yel

One person said they thought Joe must fancy a steak on this thread. Guys often like steaks and Niomi is controlling so it's a justifiable jokey comment imo.

I don't see it as either veganphobic or toxic masculinity. No one has even said anything remotely like guys need meat to be manly but Joe's bio says how much he loves (presumably the wheat and dairy kind) of pizza.

Just a few jokes that he must fancy some meat because he's been denied it by her. Many of us here are not meat eaters either.

Reactions: 21
Not only is she deleting every single comment that doesn't praise her under her last post, she is also blocking anyone who posts them (I know because someone here said they were blocked and so was I -- all I said is that her post was tone-deaf). Most of the comments were posted on this thread and I think we can all agree none of them were insulting or outright rude? They were literally just pointing out to the fact that her post was inappropriate. I'm honestly stunned she hasn't removed the post yet or at least edited the caption to be less offensive. How can she read these comments and not see that there is truth to them?? Not only is she removed from reality, she is also incapable of reassessing herself. Her behavior right now really isn't cute.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 20
literally at the top of my post i said men have eating disorders, my point is that joe doesn't. niomi does. eating disorders are higher amongst women/feminine presenting people because of the relationship between femininity and 'being tiny'. that's a pressure niomi has that joe doesn't
but yes i agree i was wrong in saying it's not abuse. i guess it just seems like niomi is the one suffering more from the food controlling, and it's more he's just stuck in the middle. rather than her trying to control him to make him skinny, she's controlling what he's eating because she's controlling what she's eating and she thinks that they are a 'we' - it seems like her wanting them to eat the same may be because she could tell the relationship wasn't working so she was trying to control what she could

Reactions: 10
literally at the top of my post i said men have eating disorders, my point is that joe doesn't. niomi does.
Sorry if I'm flogging a dead horse but this sentence really sums up the problem - we don't actually know if either of them do or don't have eating disorders so how can we say Niomi does and Joe doesn't? And where do we draw the line - say Joe doesn't have a recognised diagnosable eating disorder now, but instead experiences disordered eating patterns or anxiety/fear around food because of Niomi, is that more justifiable to you than him getting a straight up ED from her? I don't think it is personally. You accept that men get EDs but seem very reluctant to think it's even possible Joe will be affected by living with her and her controlling behaviour and I don't really understand why that is. I agree with you that Niomi faces more pressure as a woman to be thin and not take up space and all the rest of it, but I would say that's why she suffers the way she does already, pre-Joe. Doesn't mean she hasn't transmitted some of that to him now as well, it's not a competition.

Reactions: 15
I think in that cringy pyjama interview Joe said he took her to a steak restaurant on their first date.

Her cooking is awful. Healthy, PB food can be so delicious, hers does not look it at all. She thought silken tofu was absolutely wild, she hyped up a bloody turmeric tea recipe from her exotic India travels which was turmeric and hot water, her smoothies always look disgusting, she talked about lasagne like she'd never seen one before, she doesn't know what a microwave does, she can use spices but still make everything look bland af, I just don't buy that she's into cooking. She's into cooking for herself, whatever will keep her thin.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
I think in that cringy pyjama interview Joe said he took her to a steak restaurant on their first date.

Her cooking is awful. Healthy, PB food can be so delicious, hers does not look it at all. She thought silken tofu was absolutely wild, she hyped up a bloody turmeric tea recipe from her exotic India travels which was turmeric and hot water, her smoothies always look disgusting, she talked about lasagne like she'd never seen one before, she doesn't know what a microwave does, she can use spices but still make everything look bland af, I just don't buy that she's into cooking. She's into cooking for herself, whatever will keep her thin.
that's hilarious about the first date . it reminds me of my parents, my mum doesn;t eat red meat and my dad took her to a steak restaurant for valentines to propose and there was not one thing she could eat (this was in the 1980s). Of course they couldnt find any other restaurant so just went to a pub and got drunk having eaten nothing :LOL:. Totally agree about her food, I'm not vegan but often eat it by chance as there is so much nice food that is vegan. My pet peeve is trying to "imitiate" non vegan foods that just look vegan, i.e. mac and cheese made with sweet potato... yeh it looks similar but...

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.