Nicola Bulley #10

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Re the name change, I read that Sam Beckett was a character who was never reunited with his wife?
Wow, come on. That's reaching!

Anyway, he was reunited with her (Donna) for an episode actually but no, HE never returned home.

#quantumleapgeek

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 7
I'm sure there are many better experts when it comes to swim safety and I don't claim to be one but I can share this insight as I have taught children to swim.

We run drowning prevention courses where we ask parents to bring their kids in their clothes so we can teach them not to panic.

Most accidents for kids in water happen when they are fully clothed, even wearing a nappy, so layers, shoes/boots and jacket on. Surprisingly, clothes float in the water with you but think about when you intentionally swim, you are wearing some form of swimming costume.

It's the cold water shock that will get you. Your local pool is probably regulated around 29-31°, shock can be in bodies of water at 15° or less.

So we have taught many kids how to stay calm as the your body adjusts to the cold climate (even though the pool is warmer), keep their heads above water by rolling onto their back and control their breathing. Clothes can in some cases actually help you float as they too float in the water (so your swimming ability feels different in jackets and shoes etc.). Most common thing for cold water shock to cause is a heart attack because it raises your blood pressure, or you can gasp and take in lots of water.

Wet clothes make it horrendously difficult to lift yourself out of the water as the clothes are no longer floating, they become heavy and then weigh you down. This is when you would require assistance/rescue.

My fear for Nicola is that she has in fact become unconscious before entering the water - blood clot or dizzy spell.

To hold your breath means you are conscious, if you are unconscious, your lungs fill with water and you sink to the bottom. That's why drowning isn't some big splashing event, it's quiet and eerily calm and lifeguards need to be alert at all times. I have watched many terrifying training videos.

She may also have fell in and was in shock, couldn't call for help (or no one heard her) or even the shock caused her to lose consciousness and she drowned. It doesn't take long at all 😫

Also huge sidebar: please never, ever buy a blue swimming costume for you or your kids, as they are so difficult to be seen at the bottom of a swimming pool. I hope this makes sense and I am in no way a professional but just what little experience I have with swimming lessons and drowning prevention. Breaks my heart seeing all the blues and greens every summer - especially for boys. Stick with reds, oranges and pinks for swimming pools and stay safe.

I sadly feel this is a case of Occam's razor, where the most likely explanation is the simplest one. It's so unsatisfying for her family if they cannot locate her. I do hope I'm wrong.

Also sorry again if this has already been discussed on previous threads.
Thank you so much for this! My daughter has a blue swimming costume that we will not be using again.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Nicola made her Facebook public in 2021. We have no idea how long she's actually had the account. The profile has been made private because police are looking at it and probably want to stop further batshit theories being posted on her timeline (such as people insinuating she's some kind of crisis actor).
No doubt Paul has changed his name to escape the Lunatics harassing him and chose the name of a character in a show he liked as a teenager.
She had an account before that, presumably deleted as I saw people tagging her name in older pictures but the account is now gone and she made a new one. I don’t doubt he’s changed his name to avoid the horrific messages he must be receiving

I hope everyone is doing okay, the best that they can. I hope you are coping with what life is throwing your way and you can find comfort in those around you or reach out here if you don't have anyone around you. Life can be so cruel and our brains are delicate and we are never truly taught how to take care of them in our day to day nevermind I'm times of struggle. Our time is so short here but it doesn't feel precious if you are not coping. Sometimes protective factors just aren't enough and you just feel hopeless and done.

I'm going to watch the press conference later tonight when I think I can tolerate it. It's the living who are left behind that struggle with death. I still hope Nicola is found for the sake of her family but can't say if it will be the outcome that everyone is praying for. I wish you all some peace 💖

I'll leave this song here as it resonates with the situation, accidental or intentional:

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I hope Nicola doesn’t get painted as some menopausal drunk now

She was a mother and a vulnerable woman

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 68
Poor Woman. As others have suggested, it is a result of the menopause. It sounds like she's been having an awful time. Her family have done so well to protect her from the glare of the public as long as they possibly could. It must be awful for them to have their private business splashed all over the media like this.

• Heart
Reactions: 38
Do they think she fell in after drinking? Interesting they said she treated as a missing person from home in the press conference? I wonder if something happened before she went on the school run?

Reactions: 9
That poor, poor woman, she must have been going through so much mentally.
I think people really under estimate the effect the menopause can have on women.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 45
I'm sure there are many better experts when it comes to swim safety and I don't claim to be one but I can share this insight as I have taught children to swim.

We run drowning prevention courses where we ask parents to bring their kids in their clothes so we can teach them not to panic.

Most accidents for kids in water happen when they are fully clothed, even wearing a nappy, so layers, shoes/boots and jacket on. Surprisingly, clothes float in the water with you but think about when you intentionally swim, you are wearing some form of swimming costume.

It's the cold water shock that will get you. Your local pool is probably regulated around 29-31°, shock can be in bodies of water at 15° or less.

So we have taught many kids how to stay calm as the your body adjusts to the cold climate (even though the pool is warmer), keep their heads above water by rolling onto their back and control their breathing. Clothes can in some cases actually help you float as they too float in the water (so your swimming ability feels different in jackets and shoes etc.). Most common thing for cold water shock to cause is a heart attack because it raises your blood pressure, or you can gasp and take in lots of water.

Wet clothes make it horrendously difficult to lift yourself out of the water as the clothes are no longer floating, they become heavy and then weigh you down. This is when you would require assistance/rescue.

My fear for Nicola is that she has in fact become unconscious before entering the water - blood clot or dizzy spell.

To hold your breath means you are conscious, if you are unconscious, your lungs fill with water and you sink to the bottom. That's why drowning isn't some big splashing event, it's quiet and eerily calm and lifeguards need to be alert at all times. I have watched many terrifying training videos.

She may also have fell in and was in shock, couldn't call for help (or no one heard her) or even the shock caused her to lose consciousness and she drowned. It doesn't take long at all 😫

Also huge sidebar: please never, ever buy a blue swimming costume for you or your kids, as they are so difficult to be seen at the bottom of a swimming pool. I hope this makes sense and I am in no way a professional but just what little experience I have with swimming lessons and drowning prevention. Breaks my heart seeing all the blues and greens every summer - especially for boys. Stick with reds, oranges and pinks for swimming pools and stay safe.

I sadly feel this is a case of Occam's razor, where the most likely explanation is the simplest one. It's so unsatisfying for her family if they cannot locate her. I do hope I'm wrong.

Also sorry again if this has already been discussed on previous threads.
One of the most informative, useful posts I've ever seen on Tattle, thank you.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
I hope Nicola doesn’t get painted as some menopausal drunk now

She was a mother and a vulnerable woman
I think this is why this information wasn’t shared, because we see what public speculation does and quite frankly it’s no one’s business. It’s sad it’s come to this and her private life is going to be splashed across the news. A lot of people struggle with alcohol and substance issues, it doesn’t make them bad people… it’s often a symptom of something deeper

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 36
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.