Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Blueblue123

VIP Member
@Eltonjohnsflorist Invalidated my experience of racism. What are your thoughts on that?

Read the thread, there is evidence from 8 months ago to suggest that she is a crook.

If the suspicions are true, the only person to blame for the negative attention she has been getting online is Ngozi Fulani herself.
And how does NF/Sistah Space being dodgy change the fact that LH was rude and racist in her questioning?

I'm with Ricky Gervais. Just because your offended doesn't make you right. An elderly lady asking someone where they are from, while said lady is CLEARLY wearing an outfit in a somewhat confused attempt to reflect her ancestry is not unreasonable at all. I'm sorry it's just not. Clothing and jewellery has been used since the dawn of time to identify your tribe, place of birth, profession, class, age and status. I doubt the old girl would have bothered asking if that woman had been wearing a Next trouser suit.
Asking someone where they're from is completely fine. Asking them again and again when they've already answered is rude. Using the phrase "really from" indicates the person is lying and doesn't belong to where they've claimed.

LH's "people" (to use her phrasing) are "really from" Germany but I bet no one asks her that question 12 times.

I bet when LH or any member of the royal family describes themselves as English or British no one accuses them of not being proud of their German roots.

I'm also waiting for the posts mocking the GERMAN royal family for adopting English names or laughing at them for wearing English clothing.

Reactions: 7

Yel

Chatty Member
Unlocked now there's something to talk about, but lets not go around in a general radism thread. Mods don't have the time to deal with that.

---

A statement from Buckingham Palace and Ngozi Fulani, Founder of Sistah Space
Published 16 December 2022

A meeting took place this morning, 16th December, at Buckingham Palace between Ms Ngozi Fulani, founder of Sistah Space, and Lady Susan Hussey to address the incident that took place at a Palace reception last month.

At this meeting, filled with warmth and understanding, Lady Susan offered her sincere apologies for the comments that were made and the distress they caused to Ms Fulani.

Lady Susan has pledged to deepen her awareness of the sensitivities involved and is grateful for the opportunity to learn more about the issues in this area.

Ms Fulani, who has unfairly received the most appalling torrent of abuse on social media and elsewhere, has accepted this apology and appreciates that no malice was intended.

The Royal Households will continue their focus on inclusion and diversity, with an enhanced programme of work which will extend knowledge and training programmes, examining what can be learnt from Sistah Space, and ensuring these reach all members of their communities.
Both Ms Fulani and Lady Susan ask now that they be left in peace to rebuild their lives in the wake of an immensely distressing period for them both.

They hope that their example shows a path to resolution can be found with kindness, co-operation and the condemnation of discrimination wherever it takes root.

It is the wish of both parties that, at the end of the UN’s 16 days of Activism Against Gender-Based Violence, attention can now return to the important work of Sistah Space in supporting women affected by domestic abuse.
Their Majesties The King and The Queen Consort and other members of the Royal Family have been kept fully informed and are pleased that both parties have reached this welcome outcome.

---

The Queen's lady-in-waiting Lady Susan Hussey meets black charity boss Ngozi Fulani to apologise in person for asking her at Palace reception: 'What part of Africa are you from?'
65662633-0-image-m-1_1671210505574.jpg

Lady Susan resigned from her Palace role of six decades over reports she had touched Ms Fulani's hair and repeatedly asked her where she came from. This was despite Ms Ngozi saying she was from Hackney, North-East London, and was British. Only when the black activist said she was of Caribbean descent and African origin did Lady Hussey stop, saying: 'I knew we'd get there in the end.' Buckingham Palace said: 'At this meeting, filled with warmth and understanding, Lady Susan offered her sincere apologies for the comments that were made and the distress they caused to Ms Fulani.'

• Lazy Susan, 83, resigned after her comments were revealed online last month
  • Buckingham Palace announced Lady Hussey had met Miss Fulani this morning
  • Called meeting a 'welcome outcome' and criticised trolls for targeting activist

• Sick

Gloria Rostron

VIP Member
Tbh I was shocked at how much anti white sentiments there are from reading tweets , there’s always factions in society that can’t let go of the past that keep hate festering for generations, we have it with religion, people have to accept you reap what you sow no matter what creed or colour you are .I don’t think race should be an excuse to sweep things under the carpet ,if the allegations are true it’s her own people she’s shitting on ,no matter the colour of the person that brings her to book it should be the real victims that get justice if this woman and her charity has exploited them to feed her own greed.
Anti white racism is a growing problem and it goes un-noticed a lot on Twitter. So many slurs that if were said the other way round, would result in great controversy. We need to start calling out un-acceptable comments and saying no to anti white racism. Otherwise, it is a slippery slope. If we allow the odd jibe, where will it end?

I want to know how getting an octogenarian to resign for being as you said "rude" at a party is threatening the status quo. How? How is that striking a blow or threatening anything other than a doodery pensioner who clearly missed the equality and diversity PowerPoint. Fucks sake.
It’s setting an example to the entire country. It’s brilliant. Let’s not forget lady Susan did fuck all to get or qualify for that job apart from be born into aristocracy. Let me know the next time you’re given an elite job for life hey?

The tribal dress thing is perplexing, and I can only assume that the people banging on about it don’t live in diverse areas or have friends from many ethnicities. When you do you know that people sometimes wear traditional dress, sometimes don’t.
It’s like going up to a bloke at a wedding and saying “why are you wearing a suit? You don’t wear one everyday?!”

Im mixed race,i live in the UK and my last name sounds different. I LOVE it when people ask me where im from. Its not rude its curious. I like the fact people are actually interested.
Even though they’re not actually interested, they’re trying to find out why you’re different to them so they can to reassure their subconscious brain that they can put you into the right “box”?!

And yet it's ok to use "white" as a unified cultural descriptor, whether you're describing someone from Greece or Norway. Describing a member of the royal family or the descendant of landless peasants and factory workers. So tired of this imported American cultural nonsense.
God yeah, bring back the days when you could just use the n word and they knew their place! I remember the days when you could ask a colonial where they were from and they would just TELL YOU! They knew how it worked. Not these jumped up new ones. Grrrrr.

Last edited:
If you can't ask where someone's from (be it themselves or their ancestry), without losing your job of 60 years, then it is not free speech.

To be honest, I don't hold the words of someone who denies that racism exists towards white people and disregards their lived experiences, in high regard.
It doesn’t bother me if you don’t hold me in high regard, I think luckily your views are marginal, parroting the daily Mail, and dying out.

It’s also the product of generations of gaslighting to hold these racist classist institutions in a respectful , deferential light. True free speech doesn’t result in this does it?

Gloria Rostron

VIP Member
And how does NF/Sistah Space being dodgy change the fact that LH was rude and racist in her questioning?
If it was racist, there would have been a police investigation. Fulani has allegedly defrauded Hackney council of hundreds of thousands of pounds.

Gloria Rostron

VIP Member
What a weird way to answer a question.

"Where are you from?" "Sistah Space".

At a social gathering, I'd have expected more of an elaboration, especially if Fulani wanted to raise awareness of the 'charity'. I'd have said, I'm from Sistah Space maam, we provide support services for victims of domestic violence, we work in Hackney and the surrounding areas, providing housing advice and emotional support". Or something like that. Not a two word answer.

• Heart

Lazarus

VIP Member
From Sistah Space’s charitable objects:
TO PROMOTE AND PROTECT THE PHYSICAL AND MENTAL HEALTH AND RELIEVE THE NEEDS OF WOMEN AND FAMILIES AFFECTED BY DOMESTIC AND SEXUAL ABUSE (DSA), PRIMARILY AFRICAN HERITAGE WOMEN AND GIRLS

I wonder if the Charity Commission would, or have, register(ed) a charity whose objects were the same but primarily for white British women and girls, or whether that would/could be viewed as racist.

OwlAtTheMoon

Exactly. I have no particular stance on any wrongdoing at SS because a) what do I know and b) I don't trust most charities.

But I can't stand the pretence that this has anything to do with morality. If this was all about the social good, then NF's claims against LH would be taken as seriously as the claims against SS. Because racism is bad too, no?

SS has made headlines before. No one gave a damn. But as soon as a black woman dared remind Britain that its hands aren't clean people turned into the moral police.

This isn't about exposing the charity's wrongdoings, it's a reminder that when you threaten the status quo and step out of line, you'll lose and be put back in your place.
Yes exactly. Powerful words. Likely wasted in this particular setting alas - yep, another blindingly-missing-the-point post incoming... but don't let it get you down. 🔥💪

• Heart

FoxyBingo

VIP Member
Biased against who? Racists?
I'm not racist. I have experienced racism. I know black people who have experienced racism. I know Asian people who have also experienced racism. Racism exists whether you're black, white, yellow, pink or green. The fact it exists is hateful enough, without the likes of you stirring it up.

Who do you think you are, about "white person look at me"? So because I'm white I can't say that I've experienced racism? For what reason? Because black people experience racism? I know that. The point I'm making is it exists. It exists in all ethnicities. It doesn't make it right or acceptable or any less hurtful in one race than it does another.

• Heart

Crabbypatty00

Chatty Member
Asking someone where they're from is completely fine. Asking them again and again when they've already answered is rude.
Right so now this lady is rude, not racist - hold the front page. Last time I heard being rude wasn't a crime or particularly newsworthy but NF has engineered it to be because she has conflated rudeness with racism.

CarmenGhia

VIP Member
In academia and the media we're always told to avoid thinking of "African" as a unified cultural descriptor. There are lots of different cultures and ethnicities in Africa, which is an enormous continent. The south coast of South Africa and the Sahara region are literally on different sides of the world. Mixing up Igbo and Fulani names from Nigeria, especially given the history of animosity between Igbo and Fulani people and then adopting dress styles more like a Zulu woman from thousands of miles away would wear, including a shell headband that apparently should only be worn by teenagers, is the sort of thing that gets celebrities crucified on social media. By the likes of Fulani and her supporters.

If the suggestions made by the anonymous tweeter are true, this is a handy smokescreen to hide behind. It also looks like Fulani was directly involved with service users of Sistah Space, despite having no relevant qualifications or experience in social work, counselling, law or similar.

Her professional background is teaching music and dance. She may well be a very skilled and inspirational teacher, but that doesn't qualify her to advise on social care matters.

Pipsy

VIP Member
I don't know what to make of the transcript. You really need to hear tone and observe body language in order to interpret these things accurately. Can be read innocently or not. Hussey was at the very least clumsy, which is the fault of the RF. She should not be working if she's not up to date with the sensitives of today. And whilst I don't dispute there are individuals who have been motivated by racism re Fulani pile on, I think a lot of is just anger and mistrust re the media, esp their handling of identity politics. People are sick of it.

As for the charity, she drew attention to her work so naturally people are curious. I googled SS and information available on the first page of results was enough to make the the charity look suspect. I didn't have to do any super sleuthing and it was not my intent. If a charity is dodgy, it absolutely needs investigating.

SS has been caught out lying before btw. (remove spaces)
www. mumsnet . com/talk/womens_rights/4005817-Sistah-Space-Hackney-womens-shelter-facing-eviction

The reconciliation does not seem genuine. I have a feeling things will not work out well for Fulani.

• Wow

FoxyBingo

VIP Member
Isn't it racist to say that racism towards white people doesn't exist? I'm white and have experienced racism.

Anyway, two wrongs don't make a right. The whole situation is ridiculous. LH probably shouldn't have probed as hard as she did, but NF knew what she meant and should have either got to the point or said that she wasn't comfortable with the questioning. She wasn't so uncomfortable about making it all public was she?

• Heart

Old Harold

In academia and the media we're always told to avoid thinking of "African" as a unified cultural descriptor.
And yet it's ok to use "white" as a unified cultural descriptor, whether you're describing someone from Greece or Norway. Describing a member of the royal family or the descendant of landless peasants and factory workers. So tired of this imported American cultural nonsense.

• Heart

FogOfWar

Good for Lady Hussey to realise her mistake and how it made Ngozi feel. Regardless of the goings on of the charity which is separate to their conversation, apologising was the right thing to do.

To be fair she only shared the transcript and how it made her feel. She didn't ask for LH to be fired. That's on the royal family. I also don't recall NF acting as though LH was a malicious person as a whole, just that her line of questioning was racially insensitive. And now they've settled it.
Did she share it privately with LH and BP so they might do better - « Look, I realise you might not have meant it, but that line of questioning was really upsetting to me, I imagine it wasn’t malicious but here’s how you could have gone about it better ».

Or did she go to papers and TV to get as much publicity as possible for her charity and agenda from a storm in a teacup ? And is now likely shitting herself that she has been outed as a cultural-appropriating, possible fraudster ?

Pipsy

VIP Member
What does everyone think of my screenshot? I take issue with it for several reasons, but too tired to get into it yet. Personally, I'm just not very interested in Fulani and Hussey's interaction. I was initially interested in SS and came to similar conclusions about it though. Made me wonder how many dodgy charities we have. Probably more than we think!

fulani.jpg

• Wow

Gloria Rostron

VIP Member
As a keen amateur genealogist if I met someone whose surname I knew was prevalent in a particular area of this country, I'd be asking them where they are from.

Well I probably wont now because its yet another thing you cant talk about.
Ironically, I have heard that Ngozi is an Igbo (Nigerian community division) name and would not traditionally be paired with Fulani.

• Haha