Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

OwlAtTheMoon

What the actual racist fuck is the majority of this thread?? Calling Ms Felani a 'bitch', a 'crook', a 'pathological fraudster' with a 'rancid wig'. Decrying words like 'Sistah.' Suggesting Lady Hussey's intrusive grilling/'othering' of a Black woman is no worse that Cilla asking which town you're from on a tv game show. I cringe that so many whites are blind to internalised bigotry. Can we try harder to just... not be racist.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 37

CarmenGhia

VIP Member
Examining the activities of someone who appears to be engaged in deception and possible fraud, if that person happens to be black, is not racist.

• Heart
Reactions: 35

Baby Giraffe

VIP Member
The thing is that regardless of the rights and wrongs of the actual charity, to repeatedly question somebody in the manner that occurred is just rude and the use whataboutism because people don't like the lady in question isn't relevant. Small talk is totally fine but to keep asking and going down an avenue that obviously isn't welcome isn't but I don't think that's what you want to discuss on this thread is it?

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 27

OwlAtTheMoon

It's always white people dragging out the 'reverse racism' card. It's a myth. There can be stereotyping or prejudice towards whites, yes, but not racism, simply because of whiteness's systemic relationship to power, rooted in colonialism which continues to privilege and reproduce itself even today. Educating yourself on this is a good first step towards understanding what it might feel like to be a person who is not white living in the UK.
It seems people on social media, including on here, have been affronted by Ms Fulani (ta for pointing out my typo, Gloria 👌) sticking up for herself and are determined to make her pay.
I'm also aware that, as Eltonjohn mentioned, my views on racism as a white person don't matter very much. What's more important is to work hard not to be a racist. Quite simple really. 😩👍

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 26

JTsFringe

Do you know how annoying it is when people ask you where you're from, and then say "but where are you REALLY from?"... They are basically asking you why are you black. I'm mixed race, black dad, white mom & I get it ALL the damn time, especially on dating apps and such and its's fucking rude & annoying. Why does someone need to know where I'm from? Even worse when they try to guess your race. Someone asked me if I was Nigerian. I'm not. Oh and we also can't say anything because then we get called "angry black women with a chip on our shoulder".

In regards to Ngozi, I think she underestimated the back lash. England is not ready for the conversation that is racism. It's been proven that the system is racist, they do a couple stories and it's never heard from again. You see how the press and everyone go after Megan because our press is racist - completely ignoring the fact Handy Andy is a ped0. I don't know why Ngozi thought she would be the voice that would get England talking about race when she has so many skeletons in her closet. I think if you want to talk about race & racism, you need to be squeaky clean so you can't get dragged all over the gaff with deflection.

Because Marlene's dodgy past - this is no longer about race, but about how dodgy she is.

• Heart
Reactions: 25

Baby Giraffe

VIP Member
At first I agreed with you but Lady Hussey's job is to find out some facts about people in order to introduce them to the Queen Consort (and previously the Queen) so they can have some talking points.

It was obvious Fulani was being deliberately obtuse because she had an agenda.

anyway, her takedown was as swift as I suspected it would be. It doesn’t surprise me she was in charge of another dodgy charity she had vibes of that other fraudster Camila Batmanghelidjh.
But it doesn't matter if she did or didn't have an agenda, I have no idea. Yes, Lady Hussey's job is to find things out but not to keep going down a track where she was clearly unwelcome. There were plenty of talking points that don't start with the history of how somebody's family came to be in the UK and they are all a lot more relevant to the point of the event. She wouldn't have asked me how I'd ended up in the part of the UK I live in so why would she do that to somebody else? As I say, I don't have an in depth details of the charity and if it is valid or not but that is irrelevant to the fact that Lady Hussey was rude and unprofessional and almost certainly showed significant amounts of in built racism unfortunately. A separate discussion about the charity is fine but to blame her for being offended by being treated in that manner is not reasonable but happens all too often. I've put on another post, in a work type setting if I was asked where I was from I would state my company name as that would be who I were representing. If the question was repeated I'd say the location of my office and possibly explain that the head office was elsewhere in the country as it's a small organisation that most wouldn't have heard of. It wouldn't have occured to me that I were actually being asked where my grandparents or parents were from or where I were born as, I repeat, it's not relevant to the occasion so not sure why Camilla would need to know anyway.

• Heart
Reactions: 24

henriettadubois2

VIP Member
Also “Sistah” So sick of anything “black” having stupid spellings. Its bloody insulting and racist. Like Caribbean or African people can’t be educated and spell properly, they aren't all from the “ghetto” fuck off!

Reactions: 23
Do you know how annoying it is when people ask you where you're from, and then say "but where are you REALLY from?"... They are basically asking you why are you black. I'm mixed race, black dad, white mom & I get it ALL the damn time, especially on dating apps and such and its's fucking rude & annoying. Why does someone need to know where I'm from? Even worse when they try to guess your race. Someone asked me if I was Nigerian. I'm not. Oh and we also can't say anything because then we get called "angry black women with a chip on our shoulder".

In regards to Ngozi, I think she underestimated the back lash. England is not ready for the conversation that is racism. It's been proven that the system is racist, they do a couple stories and it's never heard from again. You see how the press and everyone go after Megan because our press is racist - completely ignoring the fact Handy Andy is a ped0. I don't know why Ngozi thought she would be the voice that would get England talking about race when she has so many skeletons in her closet. I think if you want to talk about race & racism, you need to be squeaky clean so you can't get dragged all over the gaff with deflection.

Because Marlene's dodgy past - this is no longer about race, but about how dodgy she is.

Everything about this post is SOLID GOLD.

There is no racism to white people. You may experience prejudice- that is not the same. I don’t thnk the posters on this thread want to learn about racism 😟

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 22

Baby Giraffe

VIP Member
I think it's a sad state of affairs if two people can't have a discussion about someone's ancestry.
It’s a sad state of affairs that regardless of an initial assumption as to why anybody is doing anything that somebody doesn’t realise that it’s rude to keep asking the same question when it’s clearly a subject they don’t want to engage in. I was helping out at my godchild’s birthday party a few months ago. I was asked by one of the mums which child was mine. I explained I didn’t have a child. I didn’t know the woman and this should have been the end of the conversation. She spent the rest of the afternoon repeatedly asking why I didn’t have children and refused to accept my increasingly short answers. Did I have an agenda too for not giving the answer that was wanted or is it ok that I found her rude and overbearing? Even without any racist elements in the original situation, it’s just plain rude and to get to that age, in that job, without picking up on a dead end is laughable.

Reactions: 22

CookieZippy

VIP Member
Examining the activities of someone who appears to be engaged in deception and possible fraud, if that person happens to be black, is not racist.
Absolutely correct. Some people though have this bizarre attitude that any form of criticism of a black person is racism. It's actually very regressive as it makes it look like all they see is the colour of skin and reduce people of colour to being that and nothing else.

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 21

Gloria Rostron

VIP Member
*I thought it is time this madam had her own thread.
Ngozi Fulani (Formerly Marlene Headley)

Ngozi Fulani came to public attention after claiming through the guise of her charity Sistah Space's Twitter that she was the victim of racist "abuse" by Lady Susan Hussey at a Royal event. Allegedly, Lady Hussey asked where she is from. Ngozi, dressed in traditional African attire replied "Hackney". Lady Hussey allegedly continued to ask where she is "really from". Finally, Fulani said that her ancestors were from the Caribbean and Africa. When a transcript of the conversation was posted on Twitter, a public debate began. The Royal Family quickly dismissed Lady Hussey of her duties and Ngozi Fulani set about giving television interviews, saying she felt abused by the questioning.

It is argued that asking where someone is from is not racist. Some say it was simply that the wording was wrong. Others say there is nothing wrong at all. Nana Akua, a journalist of African descent and presenter, criticised Ngozi Fulani's accusations. A woman on Twitter, said she was refused help from domestic violence charity Sistah Space, as Ngozi said she is mixed race and that means she has privileges. Some say this itself is discrimination.

Now, Sistah Space is under further questioning, after it was revealed that the bookkeeping raises concerns, as does the way donations are spent.

.These include: trustees posing as independent examiners to sign off the accounts; accounts being drawn up on the wrong basis; a 4703% year-on-year increase in administrative expenses; the use of donations to buy wares for sale in the charity’s shop; the use of unsubstantiated (and suspiciously round) numbers in grant applications; and much more. Of course, this is on top of the usual stuff about close links to businesses run by family and friends.

Quote From Unherd.com

Reactions: 21

LaBlonde

VIP Member
It’s a sad state of affairs that regardless of an initial assumption as to why anybody is doing anything that somebody doesn’t realise that it’s rude to keep asking the same question when it’s clearly a subject they don’t want to engage in. I was helping out at my godchild’s birthday party a few months ago. I was asked by one of the mums which child was mine. I explained I didn’t have a child. I didn’t know the woman and this should have been the end of the conversation. She spent the rest of the afternoon repeatedly asking why I didn’t have children and refused to accept my increasingly short answers. Did I have an agenda too for not giving the answer that was wanted or is it ok that I found her rude and overbearing? Even without any racist elements in the original situation, it’s just plain rude and to get to that age, in that job, without picking up on a dead end is laughable.
exactly this (and i’ve been in that exact situation you describe).

“what is your ancestry/heritage” is a very different question from “where you really from”. regardless of what’s come out about the charity later, i don’t get how the onus is immediately on the person being questioned to appease or help the person questioning.

Reactions: 19

bubbadabut

VIP Member
A rather prescient review from 8 months ago

Screenshot_20221213_073144.jpg

There's also a video doing the rounds on Twitter where she says she only wears the traditional African clothing when the narrative suits, and that it's not what she normally wears.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
You can’t possibly think the press doorstopping her is serious.

And you can’t argue what racism is, because it’s not your choice or view. White people in the U.K. can experience prejudice. This is not racism.

I am Not sure these statements are quite the gotchas you’re expecting.

Loving how white people can’t handle being told their views on racism don’t matter 😭 angry faces all the way. Things are changing and the immediate sacking of lady Susan was an overdue illustration of that.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Angry

Ametrine

VIP Member
I think it's a sad state of affairs if two people can't have a discussion about someone's ancestry.
But what happens if someone doesn't want you to talk about their ancestry, or thinks it's none of your business, and that you're being rude? What if someone is estranged from most of their birth family, and you mentioning their ancestry is in fact painful for them? What is someone was adopted into a family of a different ethnic origin to them, and they don't know much about their ancestry?

Would you ask someone white what their ancestry was, or would you just ask someone who was visibly of an ethnicity different to yours?

Try and see different viewpoints apart from yours when it comes to this matter, as it's not as simple as you're making out.

However, now that more has come to light about Ngozi, I think she probably engineered the situation with Susan Hussey, or exaggerated it (particularly as she chose to wear that outfit to the palace, and doesn't normally dress like that). I'm delighted she and her dodgy charity dealings have now been exposed (I read the whole Twitter thread/investigation). What a disgusting race-baiting scammer, using domestic violence to make a profit.

I agree. Remember Blind Date with Cilla Black all those years ago, everyone she introduced was met with 'what’s your name and where do you come from'.

How times change in such short time.
"Where do you come from" is very different to saying "what ethnic origin are you" though, isn't it?

I'm very happy to talk about my hometown, but not happy if people ask me about my ethnic origin. The answer to that involved divulging personal information and a painful backstory which is none of the business of a stranger or casual acquaintance.

• Heart
Reactions: 18

PenelopeChat

There is no racism directed at white people?! If you actually think that then you are very, very naive.

While assumptions and stereotypes about white people do exist, this is considered racial prejudice, not racism.

Racial prejudice refers to a set of discriminatory or derogatory attitudes based on assumptions derived from perceptions about race and/or skin colour. Thus, racial prejudice can indeed be directed at white people (e.g., “White people can’t dance”) but is not considered racism because of the systemic relationship to power. When backed with power, prejudice results in acts of discrimination and oppression against groups or individuals

• Haha
  • Heart

Tangerine Cat

VIP Member
The thing is that regardless of the rights and wrongs of the actual charity, to repeatedly question somebody in the manner that occurred is just rude and the use whataboutism because people don't like the lady in question isn't relevant. Small talk is totally fine but to keep asking and going down an avenue that obviously isn't welcome isn't but I don't think that's what you want to discuss on this thread is it?
At first I agreed with you but Lady Hussey's job is to find out some facts about people in order to introduce them to the Queen Consort (and previously the Queen) so they can have some talking points.

It was obvious Fulani was being deliberately obtuse because she had an agenda.

anyway, her takedown was as swift as I suspected it would be. It doesn’t surprise me she was in charge of another dodgy charity she had vibes of that other fraudster Camila Batmanghelidjh.

hehehe

VIP Member
No one got Susan's recollection of the conversation. Marlene is a verified fraudster outside of this event, and the sad state of affairs is anyone believing anything a pathological fraudster has to say without questioning it, all in the name of wokery.

How could she have memorised that conversation word for word if it was completely unexpected? She got the question and began immediately acting obtuse to corner an octogenarian and launch a scam. It's disgusting. Soon people will stop believing reports of racist abuse altogether when we've got crap like this clogging up the channels.

Marlene was there to play pin the tail on the racist, so the "initial assumption" here is fundamental.

• Heart

This is actually mind blowing - the twitter thread in question from the article above!!! I am gobsmacked that this absolute ruse of a charity has been allowed to pass for so long!

Reactions: 17

CarmenGhia

VIP Member
The anonymous Twitter thread suggests that she has been misusing grants meant to be for providing DV services. I'm not fully up to speed with what Sistah Space claims to do and what services they offer, but it appears that it runs a charity shop which is stocked with items supplied by businesses belonging to the Fulani-Headley family (they sometimes use that name) and Ngozi Fulani's sisters. Grants were used to buy these items for the shop, rather than the stock being donated, and Sistah Space service users are signposted to the shop, rather than being given the products. They are not even sold at a discounted rate. This is classic Kids Company stuff, charitable grants being used to prop up businesses run by associates of the founder.

Fulani may not be a trustee or Sistah Space's financial officer, but the money is benefitting her family and probably her herself.

• Wow
Reactions: 16