Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

smooth_operator33

Chatty Member
I did my first 10km today 🥹 took me an hour n 15 and I didn’t walk once - mentally tough, physically fine✌🏼

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 22

smooth_operator33

Chatty Member
for anyone wondering - i ran my marathon yesterday! absolutely crazy day. finished it in 5:30 and stuck with the pacer the whole time. walked at the water stations and ran everything else!

i don’t think it’s sunk in yet but i’m so pleased i’ve done it 🫶🏼

• Heart
Reactions: 13

smooth_operator33

Chatty Member
update on my training is anyone is interested- just completed my longest run of the plan, 20 miles!!! marathon is in 3 weeks so now tapering down to make sure my legs are as fresh as possible on the day.

considering i only started running in september last year, i’m so proud of myself!!

• Heart
Reactions: 10

smooth_operator33

Chatty Member
For those starting their running journey or those not knowing where to start! This thread can be used to for questions, wins, goals - anything!
(Just don’t be a pro who has been running for years to show off lol 🤣)

• Heart
Reactions: 9

Frau_guru

Got my new personal record today - 5km in 31min and without walking!!!! 💕
Never felt more proud 🐷

It was a long journey - 3months of almost every day walking/running for 1h...

• Heart
Reactions: 8

SheMyBestie

My treadmill has now sold! Back to running outside on my lunch breaks!
I’m currently on Week 7 of 9 of Couch to 5K and I’ve today I ran for 36 minutes without running. I literally ran a full 5K. I’ve never been able to do that before without walking! So happy I could cry. Just need to work on getting the pace down.

• Heart
Reactions: 7

SwizzleMalarkey

VIP Member
Anyone got an tips for me? Can barely run for more than a minute without getting out of breath. Tend to go on the treadmill due to uneven streets where I live and then end up hitting the slow down or pause button on the treadmill 😣
I found the couch to 5k app helped me as you gradually build up the length of time you run for and alternate between running and walking for the first few weeks. I couldn’t even run for one minute at the start and never thought I would love running but I do now and can do 30 mins!

Libbylulu

VIP Member
Love this. I’ve been walking fast last few weeks but have started running, small steps but still running. I absolutely hate it!

I’ve managed 10k steps before 10am 4 days now

• Heart

smooth_operator33

Chatty Member
Anyone got an tips for me? Can barely run for more than a minute without getting out of breath. Tend to go on the treadmill due to uneven streets where I live and then end up hitting the slow down or pause button on the treadmill 😣
This used to be me! For me it was a mindset thing, I’d really beat myself up about it.
ive learnt that it’s okay to walk and it’s okay to go slow - even if you’re only moving at slightly after than a walk, just keep going forwards, one step after another!
Warm up plays a big role too, heel flicks, high knees etc all help your body prepare to run :)

I would like to add that I have studied sports science so do have some knowledge but I’ve always been very weights focused and am now switching to endurance training which we did a lot of research on! 😁

Reactions: 6

curiouserandcuriouser2022

Try slowing down your speed of running. In all likelihood you’re going way too fast for a beginner runner! I paid to do a couch to 5k - type running class, but in the real world, not with an app! My biggest learning was how incredibly slowly our tutor insisted we run. Little miniature poodles out for their Sunday Stroll with their elderly owners were all overtaking my running group. But truly, going slow is the only way!

Reactions: 5

WeepingCassandra

VIP Member
Long time runner here, just popping my head in. I can't run at the moment as I'm pregnant and it's just too much but I love running and am really missing it!

I would say if you're struggling on a treadmill, really do try and run outside. Running outside is so, so much easier and better for your joints as well. On a treadmill you are forced into a sustained pace whereas actually very few people run at the same pace for their whole run - outside you can adjust naturally (you won't even notice you're doing it most of the time!) and slow down a bit for hills, speed up for downhills. You'll also learn to pick your feet up and run more efficiently.

I would exercise caution with entering big length races too early as well. When I started running I did a couple of 5ks in the summer, a couple of 10ks in later summer and a half marathon just before Christmas (on the back of basically nothing). Then decided that I could absolutely do a full marathon the next spring and injured myself in about five different ways :rolleyes: There's a big, big leap between half marathon and full marathon distance and you really need to respect that distance change. Generally the step between 5 and 10k is achievable (if you can run a 5k no matter what time it takes you, you can run a 10k in some fashion. If you can comfortably run a 10k, a half marathon is not too much effort if you put the training in. But god, the difference between a half and even 20 miles is immense. Absolutely immense. It's much more of a mental battle than you think! ETA - did my first full marathon this summer just before I got pregnant and even though I'd run about 8 raced half marathons, a couple of 20 mile races AND 100s of miles in the 14 week training block it was an incredibly humbling and difficult experience!

TinyDancer2602

I do all my running on the treadmill. I am too self conscious to go outdoors just yet. I like that I can set my pace. I think I’d struggle to set my pace outdoors. I usually have Netflix on while I run to distract me. I started out walking and increased my pace over time. Only started actually running about a month ago. Never imagined I’d be able to run in my life so it’s crazy to me. My best time is 10km in 55.50, hope to improve on that. I started the walking for my mental health. It’s still wobbly but at least something good has come from my trying to manage it.

• Heart

fudgebox

VIP Member
Hey all! My friend has asked me to do a 5k next year with him and I’ve never ran in my life😆
I would like to lose a bit of weight and I’ve downloaded couch to 5k but I really don’t get much free time in the week, hopefully I can start soon!

• Heart

WeepingCassandra

VIP Member
You run slower on a treadmill because it’s set at one pace only - when you run outside your cadence and pace naturally alters with the road or trail you’re on. So on a treadmill you’d run at say, 10 minute miles for 30 minutes, but outside you’d run at 10 minutes for 2 minutes, 9:30 for 30 seconds, 11:30 for a minute, all without noticing. And that’s one of the reasons why treadmills are crap - useful in some circumstances but for horrible most people!

Some People!

Chatty Member
So it's suuuuper early days for me still - I walk as fast as I can and break out into a wee joggy run when I can, longer each time. I'm 70% off-road for these.

Next payday I'll need to get new trainers or something for doing these walky runs (am currently in total garbage trainers from Tesco bought in an emergency years ago 😬) - can anyone recommend a good option for a wide-ish foot belonging to a poor-ish woman who is v hard on footwear? Don't care what they look like at all.

Reactions: 4

lavenderfield88

Reactions: 4