Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

smooth_operator33

Chatty Member
How do you recommend starting? I tried couch to 5k but just couldn’t get on with it
I used the peloton app! It’s £12.99 a month and i started with walk run classes - can be done on any treadmill or outside:)

This popped up on the app. I am very impressed - well done!
Thank you!! I’m impressed too🤣

That’s great, well done!
I found that once I could do about 15 mins without walking it was often a mental challenge to go further and not a physical one. Your body can do it you just have to convince your brain!
100%!! I’ll admit I got a stitch here and there which was instantly something for my brain to be like “you can’t do this” but I just slowed my pace down and just kept going forward!

Reactions: 4

WeepingCassandra

VIP Member
I can't recommend any but please remember it isn't safe to not hear the world around you when out running
Does anyone have recommendations for overhead earphones that I can wear whilst running, the in-ear ones always fall out and it's so annoying!
The safest option is a pair of bone conduction headphones like the Aftershox Aeropex - they have no in ear components and work fantastically. Most of the time race legal too (but check each individual races rules!). You can get a pair fairly cheaply now and often can find them second hand.

thank you so much! if anyone is thinking of doing one, i’d say do it.
Well, you might just have inspired me! Currently in the depths of my second awful cold in 4 weeks, somethings got to give here and I’m always inspired when I’m ill, signed up for a 10k when I was rotten last year and it was one of my biggest achievements!

I am in between doing the Amsterdam Half in Oct 2023 or going for the Rotterdam Half in April 2024.

i need a goal.

WeepingCassandra

VIP Member
Yep, your best bet is a buff around your neck and pulled over your mouth until you warm up - I find that it only takes about quarter of a mile to need it. I normally wear two buffs in winter, one on my head for my ears and one on my neck.

When running in winter please please please wear bright, light emitting and reflective clothes guys! You can buy hi viz light vests that have a white light on the front and a red one on the back for under £15 on Amazon. A head torch is also a sensible idea even if you think it’s not going to be that dark - I’ve seen too many people already this year running in all black at 4pm when it’s already a bit murky and as a car driver or other pedestrian trust me when I say you cannot be seen until you are about 2m away at which point it could be too late to avoid you. Even if you’re running at midday the weather is so changeable and if it comes over really cloudy and overcast whilst you’re out you’re basically invisible to anyone else and at much greater risk of injury. Tbh I don’t know why they’re allowed to sell all black running outfits!

smooth_operator33

Chatty Member
Just signed up for my first half marathon!! 😬😬

did c25k all on the treadmill and was doing 5ks in about 29/30 mins, I knew running outside would be different but it was soo much harder than I imagined. Been keeping consistent and really enjoying it however for once in my life so thought I’d sign up for a half marathon to keep the motivation up
woop woop! did my first outdoor half a couple weeks ago - you hit mile 10 and only think “it’s just a park run to go! but gosh it’s a looooong park run to the finish line - amazing feeling once you’re over the line tho!

• Heart
Hello; I’m here for a placemark. It’s been so so long since I ran I am absolutely back to “beginner” status and I’m here for the successes and the stories to poke me along.

As it stands, I’m on holiday right now, filling my big face on a regular basis. When I’m back, the pavement pounding will begin again.

Frau_guru

I am again slightly sick... And it affects my time...
But still going every day.

This and next week goal - every day 5km - running or running+power walking.
Love the feeling of accomplishment 💕
Feeling so proud that soon is my 3th month.
Looking forward to spring 5km race 🐰

In terms of weight - I didn't lost more then 1kg, but everyone see my body changes and compliment my waist.
It's funny, most of the changes I have is in on my waist and belly.
I even start seeing some abs definition 😱
Is this normal? 😅🐷

P.S. Not taking care of nutrition at all, and for the first time in my life not feeling guilty or angry on myself.
It's crazy how much running/power walking built my confidence.
Why nobody introduce me to running when i was younger...

Pinhead Larry

Chatty Member
I didn’t know such a thread existed! I have started running as a means to lose the stone and a bit I have put on over the last year.

I managed 4km in 27 mins the other day. I’ve done another run today but forgot my Apple Watch so I have no idea what my newest stats are 😅. I’m enjoying it but I feel like I need extra motivation to keep on track, can I join the motion group please? 🙂

• Heart

smooth_operator33

Chatty Member
For my cold runs I tend to wear like a half zip base layer (if short sleeves I’ll wear a thin wind breaker I can take off and tie round my waist) and shorts
I’m always grateful I’m not wearing leggings by the end. I’m one of those people that is fine with their legs out in any weather but my arms?? Absolutely not if my arms are cold/ exposed then I’m freezing

On A Roll

Just signed up for my first half marathon!! 😬😬

did c25k all on the treadmill and was doing 5ks in about 29/30 mins, I knew running outside would be different but it was soo much harder than I imagined. Been keeping consistent and really enjoying it however for once in my life so thought I’d sign up for a half marathon to keep the motivation up

• Heart
Reactions: 3

Eenymeenyminymo

VIP Member
for anyone wondering - i ran my marathon yesterday! absolutely crazy day. finished it in 5:30 and stuck with the pacer the whole time. walked at the water stations and ran everything else!

i don’t think it’s sunk in yet but i’m so pleased i’ve done it 🫶🏼
So pleased for you, well done!

• Heart

Melian

VIP Member
So it's suuuuper early days for me still - I walk as fast as I can and break out into a wee joggy run when I can, longer each time. I'm 70% off-road for these.

Next payday I'll need to get new trainers or something for doing these walky runs (am currently in total garbage trainers from Tesco bought in an emergency years ago 😬) - can anyone recommend a good option for a wide-ish foot belonging to a poor-ish woman who is v hard on footwear? Don't care what they look like at all.
You're better off going to a proper sports shop and getting your gait analysed. I'd avoid Hoka. I don't have wide feet but they were far too narrow even going up a size. I think New Balance do trainers in different widths.

MyLittlePony25

VIP Member
I wanted to add in some cardio to my workout routine and wanted to get back into running, and then I did my hamstring last week🤦🏼‍♀️. Hoping it will be feeling ok to have a go at running this weekend 🤞🏼 And now this thread is here, it should help give me some motivation, so thank you 😊

Frau_guru

First week done!
So proud of my ladies 💕
I just realized that you can change your personal goal 😅
Mine is 30km of running this week...

(Still little bit sick, but it will not stop me 🐰)

Motion App, Tattlers Team screenshot
Screenshot_2022-10-17-09-39-53-694_com.motionapp.motionapp.png

marshmallowfluff30

I did couch to 5k while ago and kept up running for about 6 months. I’m in a long term hospital admission so it’s difficult to maintain levels of activity. There is a gym so I can run there. I do enjoy running I just struggle with the motivation. I’m going to try and get my fitness levels back to what they used to be 👍🏻💪🏻

• Heart

Frau_guru

So it's suuuuper early days for me still - I walk as fast as I can and break out into a wee joggy run when I can, longer each time. I'm 70% off-road for these.

Next payday I'll need to get new trainers or something for doing these walky runs (am currently in total garbage trainers from Tesco bought in an emergency years ago 😬) - can anyone recommend a good option for a wide-ish foot belonging to a poor-ish woman who is v hard on footwear? Don't care what they look like at all.

My first run was 2,5 months ago, so my advices are not professional 😅
I bought Nike free run wich looks like sock, and they are very strechy so they are for my wide and very often swollen feet very good.
Also they look good so I can wear them everyday. (Original price around 120e found them online for 45e)

Last month I took the north face trail running shoes bcs in first one I can't walk/run when it's wet...
They are not very everyday shoes, but I bought them as a motivation to stay fit. 🐷
(Original price 130e, found them online in another colour for 70e)

The best is to go in store and try various models. Write them down and then you can search online good offers.
It's very important to try them, with fat running socks on.
My Nike shoes are 37.5 and the north face 39 ....

Motion App is crushing, does anybody has the same problem?
Will try now to instal on tablet...

• Heart

ToxicPony

Chatty Member
Definitely get your gait analysed before getting new shoes! I found that loads of problems I was having with tired legs etc when running were actually because I wasn't wearing the right shoes.

smooth_operator33

Chatty Member
Another 10k run in the bag for me yesterday. Awful run. Head wasn’t in it at all, sore legs etc but surprisingly still got it done in a similar time to my last one which was a good one! Had a couple walk breaks mainly just to remind myself that I can do it and I was ok but yeh still did it so let’s see what the next few bring

• Heart