Newbie runners thread!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
For those starting their running journey or those not knowing where to start! This thread can be used to for questions, wins, goals - anything!
(Just don’t be a pro who has been running for years to show off lol 🤣)

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Anyone got an tips for me? Can barely run for more than a minute without getting out of breath. Tend to go on the treadmill due to uneven streets where I live and then end up hitting the slow down or pause button on the treadmill 😣

Reactions: 4
Anyone got an tips for me? Can barely run for more than a minute without getting out of breath. Tend to go on the treadmill due to uneven streets where I live and then end up hitting the slow down or pause button on the treadmill 😣
This used to be me! For me it was a mindset thing, I’d really beat myself up about it.
ive learnt that it’s okay to walk and it’s okay to go slow - even if you’re only moving at slightly after than a walk, just keep going forwards, one step after another!
Warm up plays a big role too, heel flicks, high knees etc all help your body prepare to run :)

I would like to add that I have studied sports science so do have some knowledge but I’ve always been very weights focused and am now switching to endurance training which we did a lot of research on! 😁

Reactions: 6
I found the couch to 5k app helped me as you gradually build up the length of time you run for and alternate between running and walking for the first few weeks. I couldn’t even run for one minute at the start and never thought I would love running but I do now and can do 30 mins!

Reactions: 7
Try slowing down your speed of running. In all likelihood you’re going way too fast for a beginner runner! I paid to do a couch to 5k - type running class, but in the real world, not with an app! My biggest learning was how incredibly slowly our tutor insisted we run. Little miniature poodles out for their Sunday Stroll with their elderly owners were all overtaking my running group. But truly, going slow is the only way!

Reactions: 5
I did my first 10km today 🥹 took me an hour n 15 and I didn’t walk once - mentally tough, physically fine✌🏼

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 22
I did my first 10km today 🥹 took me an hour n 15 and I didn’t walk once - mentally tough, physically fine✌🏼
That’s great, well done!
I found that once I could do about 15 mins without walking it was often a mental challenge to go further and not a physical one. Your body can do it you just have to convince your brain!

Reactions: 2
How do you recommend starting? I tried couch to 5k but just couldn’t get on with it

How do you recommend starting? I tried couch to 5k but just couldn’t get on with it
I used the peloton app! It’s £12.99 a month and i started with walk run classes - can be done on any treadmill or outside:)

This popped up on the app. I am very impressed - well done!
Thank you!! I’m impressed too🤣

That’s great, well done!
I found that once I could do about 15 mins without walking it was often a mental challenge to go further and not a physical one. Your body can do it you just have to convince your brain!
100%!! I’ll admit I got a stitch here and there which was instantly something for my brain to be like “you can’t do this” but I just slowed my pace down and just kept going forward!

If you don't want to do couch to 5k, just do your own version! If you can do a minute, next time try for 1.5 minutes. If you always treadmill run, Zwift is quite good too, although you will need a 2nd device (like an old phone) to download an app to transmit your speed if you don't have a smart treadmill or a foot pod to begin with. I think there is a beginners running program on there too.
I've been running for a few years now, and I've come to the conclusion that there's no shame in stopping to walk if you need to. I don't race, I just go out for me and enjoyment is far more important to me now :)

OMG, love this thread!!! 🥰
I just joined Motion as well... Such a good idea for motivation and staying in touch.

I was on vacation + sick as hell (was always COVID negative but fever and respiratory problems like never before...😭🙄 Not a good combination for my Asthma)
Today is a first day of going back to work and probably will try to go back running.

I think I should buy treadmill - tried one time and it was surprisingly easier then running outside in forest... On treadmill i run my first 5km without walking.... Outside my maximum is until first uphill... wich is around 1.5km.... 😅🐷

• Heart
I feel like I would get bored on a treadmill but would quite like to try it!
I went for a run this morning and it was so cold but I was warm by the time I finished. Not sure what to get in terms of running in the cold weather. 🤔

Reactions: 1
I am also afraid that I will then always use treadmill and stop enjoying the nature.

Today is 10C, I had jogging pants, short sleeve running t-shirt and I bought running thin jacket.
It's cold before I start running, but after 2min I am fine.

My biggest problem is sweaty hair and cold weather when I walk uphill... 😭

For my cold runs I tend to wear like a half zip base layer (if short sleeves I’ll wear a thin wind breaker I can take off and tie round my waist) and shorts
I’m always grateful I’m not wearing leggings by the end. I’m one of those people that is fine with their legs out in any weather but my arms?? Absolutely not if my arms are cold/ exposed then I’m freezing

I think I should buy treadmill - tried one time and it was surprisingly easier then running outside in forest... On treadmill i run my first 5km without walking.... Outside my maximum is until first uphill... wich is around 1.5km.... 😅🐷
The treadmill bores me. The only way I can run on it is I'm watching something on Disney Plus.

The treadmill bores me. The only way I can run on it is I'm watching something on Disney Plus.
I used to be such a treadmill hoe because I did the peloton run classes so they’re super distracting
Now I’ve started outside I can’t even think about the tread

Reactions: 1