Newbie runners thread!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Any tips for winter morning runs?

Last few days temperature was in minus, and it gets painful to breath...
After work is already dark. 😭😭😭

Yep, your best bet is a buff around your neck and pulled over your mouth until you warm up - I find that it only takes about quarter of a mile to need it. I normally wear two buffs in winter, one on my head for my ears and one on my neck.

When running in winter please please please wear bright, light emitting and reflective clothes guys! You can buy hi viz light vests that have a white light on the front and a red one on the back for under £15 on Amazon. A head torch is also a sensible idea even if you think it’s not going to be that dark - I’ve seen too many people already this year running in all black at 4pm when it’s already a bit murky and as a car driver or other pedestrian trust me when I say you cannot be seen until you are about 2m away at which point it could be too late to avoid you. Even if you’re running at midday the weather is so changeable and if it comes over really cloudy and overcast whilst you’re out you’re basically invisible to anyone else and at much greater risk of injury. Tbh I don’t know why they’re allowed to sell all black running outfits!

Reactions: 4
I’ll give it another go but I’m tempted to sell it. It’s just not getting the use. And I’d much rather run outside!
Does anyone else treadmill run?
The best way to get on with the treadmill is to accept it will NEVER be as running outside. It is tedious and seems pointless as you don't really go anywhere BUT there are ways of making it a bit more dynamic.
I have two approaches when stepping on the treadmill:

- Mimic running outside: earphones in, nice running playlist, and I put on a video of someone running ( I just go on youtube and search "treadmill TV", you can choose from a nature or city setting). I really focus on the screen, and having the perception of someone who's running tricks me into thinking that my pace is adjusting as well.

- Intervals: most treadmills will have pre-set interval programs, but I make my own. For this type of training, I usually watch an episode of a series (around 50mins), and break down the run in 10 mins blocks - 8 mins run +2 mins fast walk. This helps break the monotony and makes it less daunting.

I can never run for more than 1 hour on the treadmill though, that's for sure.

So, my advice when it comes to treadmill running is mix it up, don't do a full run at the same pace.

Has anyone noticed that they’re so damn hungry from running?! I started running to lose weight but i now can’t seem to eat enough to not be so hungry 🤣
Oh, I feel you on that... When I trained for my first marathon I was hungry all.the.time. I actually put on weight!

The most useful advice I received was "thirst sometimes disguises as hunger", so whenever I had those pangs I would actually drink first to check if it would go away. Most of the time, it did.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
I used to do a class called treadmill treking. Lots of changes, run for 2 mins then incline for 2, then add further incline for 2, spring for 30 secs then increase speed every 30 secs, etc. Made it far less monotonous. Also if I'm just running on the tread, I set targets so initially it will be 5 mins then I look at how far I've gone and my next target may be a distance then the next target might be so and so calories burned etc

Any tips for winter morning runs?

Last few days temperature was in minus, and it gets painful to breath...
After work is already dark. 😭😭😭
Wear a bobble hat or even a knitted headband, it surprising the difference wearing something on your head makes on a cold morning

I do all my running on the treadmill. I am too self conscious to go outdoors just yet. I like that I can set my pace. I think I’d struggle to set my pace outdoors. I usually have Netflix on while I run to distract me. I started out walking and increased my pace over time. Only started actually running about a month ago. Never imagined I’d be able to run in my life so it’s crazy to me. My best time is 10km in 55.50, hope to improve on that. I started the walking for my mental health. It’s still wobbly but at least something good has come from my trying to manage it.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I do all my running on the treadmill. I am too self conscious to go outdoors just yet. I like that I can set my pace. I think I’d struggle to set my pace outdoors. I usually have Netflix on while I run to distract me. I started out walking and increased my pace over time. Only started actually running about a month ago. Never imagined I’d be able to run in my life so it’s crazy to me. My best time is 10km in 55.50, hope to improve on that. I started the walking for my mental health. It’s still wobbly but at least something good has come from my trying to manage it.
Can I ask what kind of treadmill you have? I'd like one but not sure what will suit me as a beginner

Oh gosh, it’s the ugliest thing… we got it from gumtree in lockdown… I think it may have been originally from Tesco or Argos?! It is probably capable of more than I use it for. I don’t do any kind of incline or anything on it. Literally I set the pace and go. Usually I increase by a bit each km…I have holder from Amazon for my phone to watch Netflix and away I go!

Attachments

Reactions: 2
I've still been getting heavy legs during runs even though I've been to a running shop, had gait analysis and wear the shoes they suggested for me... Any advice?

My treadmill has now sold! Back to running outside on my lunch breaks!
I’m currently on Week 7 of 9 of Couch to 5K and I’ve today I ran for 36 minutes without running. I literally ran a full 5K. I’ve never been able to do that before without walking! So happy I could cry. Just need to work on getting the pace down.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Does anyone have recommendations for overhead earphones that I can wear whilst running, the in-ear ones always fall out and it's so annoying!

Does anyone have recommendations for overhead earphones that I can wear whilst running, the in-ear ones always fall out and it's so annoying!
I can't recommend any but please remember it isn't safe to not hear the world around you when out running

I can't recommend any but please remember it isn't safe to not hear the world around you when out running
The safest option is a pair of bone conduction headphones like the Aftershox Aeropex - they have no in ear components and work fantastically. Most of the time race legal too (but check each individual races rules!). You can get a pair fairly cheaply now and often can find them second hand.

If you can’t get on with C25K or find it too difficult, I highly recommend the None2Run programme.

Just signed up for my first half marathon!! 😬😬

did c25k all on the treadmill and was doing 5ks in about 29/30 mins, I knew running outside would be different but it was soo much harder than I imagined. Been keeping consistent and really enjoying it however for once in my life so thought I’d sign up for a half marathon to keep the motivation up

• Heart
Reactions: 3

did c25k all on the treadmill and was doing 5ks in about 29/30 mins, I knew running outside would be different but it was soo much harder than I imagined. Been keeping consistent and really enjoying it however for once in my life so thought I’d sign up for a half marathon to keep the motivation up
Ah that’s amazing…I’m still not brave enough to venture outside ☹

woop woop! did my first outdoor half a couple weeks ago - you hit mile 10 and only think “it’s just a park run to go! but gosh it’s a looooong park run to the finish line - amazing feeling once you’re over the line tho!

• Heart
Ah that’s amazing…I’m still not brave enough to venture outside ☹
i was so in my head about it!I’m still finding it really tough but I would definitely recommend doing it, it is so nice to feel the breeze!
---
woop woop! did my first outdoor half a couple weeks ago - you hit mile 10 and only think “it’s just a park run to go! but gosh it’s a looooong park run to the finish line - amazing feeling once you’re over the line tho!
aww I can’t wait for that feeling! I keep getting emotional thinking about it, I think I’m going to be crying a lot that day 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 2