Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Notworthy

VIP Member
anyone done a park run before? There's one really near to me and I'm tempted but forewarned is forearmed and all that
Yes, there will be a tailwalker so you won't be last, and there are always people that just walk it anyway. If in doubt offer to volunteer 1st so you can see for yourself

Reactions: 2

WeepingCassandra

VIP Member
I’m so glad I’ve found this thread. I’m no expert runner by any means but I love running. For me, it’s my happy place and the endorphins after are amazing.

However, during Lockdown I started C25K (annd completed it 🥰) outside before that I only used a treadmill at the gym.

I purchased a treadmill for home use 18 months ago and this may sound really silly, I don’t really get on with it. I would love nothing more than to get a good run done on it before work but I’ve resulted to running outside on my days off. I keep saying to myself that I’ll set an alarm and get up early to use the treadmill but I just find treadmill running so difficult now. It’s an opti one I bought from Argos, however would I find it easier on an industrial one at the gym or is it because this one is a little smaller. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Treadmills are the worst invention known to man and that’s an absolute fact 😂

TinyDancer2602

Oh gosh, it’s the ugliest thing… we got it from gumtree in lockdown… I think it may have been originally from Tesco or Argos?! It is probably capable of more than I use it for. I don’t do any kind of incline or anything on it. Literally I set the pace and go. Usually I increase by a bit each km…I have holder from Amazon for my phone to watch Netflix and away I go!

Attachments

SwizzleMalarkey

VIP Member
I did my first 10km today 🥹 took me an hour n 15 and I didn’t walk once - mentally tough, physically fine✌🏼
That’s great, well done!
I found that once I could do about 15 mins without walking it was often a mental challenge to go further and not a physical one. Your body can do it you just have to convince your brain!

smooth_operator33

Chatty Member
Amazing! I couldn’t imagine doing a marathon. But then again 6 months ago I couldn’t run for 2 mins without stopping, so never say never!
well I may or may not be yet. I’ve been offered a charity spot but I need to raise £2000!! I’m going to wait and see if I get a ballot spot. If I don’t I’ll do Manchester! Either way I’m somehow doing a marathon next year.
I was the same as you! Now I’m doing 10km runs weekly :)
Though I have a small set back with shin pain so I’ve got some insoles that are meant to help on the way so fingers crossed🤞🏼

Frau_guru

OMG, love this thread!!! 🥰
I just joined Motion as well... Such a good idea for motivation and staying in touch.

I was on vacation + sick as hell (was always COVID negative but fever and respiratory problems like never before...😭🙄 Not a good combination for my Asthma)
Today is a first day of going back to work and probably will try to go back running.

I think I should buy treadmill - tried one time and it was surprisingly easier then running outside in forest... On treadmill i run my first 5km without walking.... Outside my maximum is until first uphill... wich is around 1.5km.... 😅🐷

• Heart

chickhicks86

VIP Member
Anyone got an tips for me? Can barely run for more than a minute without getting out of breath. Tend to go on the treadmill due to uneven streets where I live and then end up hitting the slow down or pause button on the treadmill 😣
If you don't want to do couch to 5k, just do your own version! If you can do a minute, next time try for 1.5 minutes. If you always treadmill run, Zwift is quite good too, although you will need a 2nd device (like an old phone) to download an app to transmit your speed if you don't have a smart treadmill or a foot pod to begin with. I think there is a beginners running program on there too.
I've been running for a few years now, and I've come to the conclusion that there's no shame in stopping to walk if you need to. I don't race, I just go out for me and enjoyment is far more important to me now :)

Frau_guru

I am also afraid that I will then always use treadmill and stop enjoying the nature.

Today is 10C, I had jogging pants, short sleeve running t-shirt and I bought running thin jacket.
It's cold before I start running, but after 2min I am fine.

My biggest problem is sweaty hair and cold weather when I walk uphill... 😭

On A Roll

Ah that’s amazing…I’m still not brave enough to venture outside ☹
i was so in my head about it!I’m still finding it really tough but I would definitely recommend doing it, it is so nice to feel the breeze!
---
woop woop! did my first outdoor half a couple weeks ago - you hit mile 10 and only think “it’s just a park run to go! but gosh it’s a looooong park run to the finish line - amazing feeling once you’re over the line tho!
aww I can’t wait for that feeling! I keep getting emotional thinking about it, I think I’m going to be crying a lot that day 😂

• Haha

emphiii

anyone done a park run before? There's one really near to me and I'm tempted but forewarned is forearmed and all that
Try it. I have got really into them over the last year, they're so friendly and it's a great way to discover a new part of a city if you're travelling on a Saturday. I'm sure you'll feel welcome:)

smooth_operator33

Chatty Member
i was so in my head about it!I’m still finding it really tough but I would definitely recommend doing it, it is so nice to feel the breeze!
---

aww I can’t wait for that feeling! I keep getting emotional thinking about it, I think I’m going to be crying a lot that day 😂
i was emotional ngl! but then it kicked in that i’ll have to do it all again on top of that when i do the full marathon!

can’t wait for the training to be over.

• Heart
Reactions: 1

SheMyBestie

I joined a local gym to use a treadmill during the dark evenings and I absolutely hate it 😂 it's so boring and I find it hard to control my pace for some reason. I seem to run so much slower on the treadmill as well even though I try to get it over and done with as quick as possible 😭
This is me too, I run so much slower on a treadmill. My pace is so much quicker outdoors.

smooth_operator33

Chatty Member
Has anyone noticed that they’re so damn hungry from running?! I started running to lose weight but i now can’t seem to eat enough to not be so hungry 🤣

smooth_operator33

Chatty Member
The treadmill bores me. The only way I can run on it is I'm watching something on Disney Plus.
I used to be such a treadmill hoe because I did the peloton run classes so they’re super distracting
Now I’ve started outside I can’t even think about the tread

UsernameOfDreams

Chatty Member
I’ll give it another go but I’m tempted to sell it. It’s just not getting the use. And I’d much rather run outside!
Does anyone else treadmill run?
The best way to get on with the treadmill is to accept it will NEVER be as running outside. It is tedious and seems pointless as you don't really go anywhere BUT there are ways of making it a bit more dynamic.
I have two approaches when stepping on the treadmill:

- Mimic running outside: earphones in, nice running playlist, and I put on a video of someone running ( I just go on youtube and search "treadmill TV", you can choose from a nature or city setting). I really focus on the screen, and having the perception of someone who's running tricks me into thinking that my pace is adjusting as well.

- Intervals: most treadmills will have pre-set interval programs, but I make my own. For this type of training, I usually watch an episode of a series (around 50mins), and break down the run in 10 mins blocks - 8 mins run +2 mins fast walk. This helps break the monotony and makes it less daunting.

I can never run for more than 1 hour on the treadmill though, that's for sure.

So, my advice when it comes to treadmill running is mix it up, don't do a full run at the same pace.

Has anyone noticed that they’re so damn hungry from running?! I started running to lose weight but i now can’t seem to eat enough to not be so hungry 🤣
Oh, I feel you on that... When I trained for my first marathon I was hungry all.the.time. I actually put on weight!

The most useful advice I received was "thirst sometimes disguises as hunger", so whenever I had those pangs I would actually drink first to check if it would go away. Most of the time, it did.

Last edited: