New baby / post birth advice

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hey all, any suggestions on how to get a 14 week old to take calpol? She had her jabs yesterday and has a slight temp, but keeps spitting the calpol out, tried both syringe and spoon.
Thank you

I saw on TikTok someone using the dummy end of a bottle and putting the carpool syringe through it so baby thinks they are getting a bottle

Or maybe try mixing it with food if no luck whatsoever like yoghurt

Reactions: 1
Hey all, any suggestions on how to get a 14 week old to take calpol? She had her jabs yesterday and has a slight temp, but keeps spitting the calpol out, tried both syringe and spoon.
Thank you
16wk jabs for us yesterday. I had to do tiny amounts from the syringe into the back corner of her mouth. Takes a good 3–4 mins to get it all in though

Reactions: 4
Thank you
through a bottle teat if they will take a bottle usually - you can also get medicine dummies off amazon.

We would usually do a tiny amount when lying them back, then give their dummy so they swallowed it, give them a minute and give them more. Takes a little while to give the full dose but ensures no spitting out.

Thank you
Just keep trying. My 3rd wouldn’t take any medicine at all until she was about 18months, we would just try when needed, and even though she’d spit most of it out some was swallowed.

Pop the syringe in to her cheek and as far back as you can

Last edited:
Using the toilet wearing baby in a carrier - yay or nay? Not gonna lie, I’ve already done it 😆

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Using the toilet wearing baby in a carrier - yay or nay? Not gonna lie, I’ve already done it 😆
If I didn’t I’d be some mess by the end of the day 🤣🤣 my babies are in the sling as newborns about 6 hours a day, I can’t hold it that long 🙈

just do not - and I can’t emphasise this enough - wear dungarees under the sling!

• Haha
I've done this sooo many times. Felt like a new low doing a number 2 like that though - gross I know.
This morning my 5 month old kept bursting into tears anytime I left the living room to go to the toilet, so he ended up lying on the bath mat watching me go to the toilet. Apparently far more entertaining than a jumperoo or the toys he has. :unsure:

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I've done this sooo many times. Felt like a new low doing a number 2 like that though - gross I know.
This morning my 5 month old kept bursting into tears anytime I left the living room to go to the toilet, so he ended up lying on the bath mat watching me go to the toilet. Apparently far more entertaining than a jumperoo or the toys he has. :unsure:
My daughter is 4 and still follows me to the toilet 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I was in the toilet yesterday, baby in the sling starting to fuss, 2.5yo in the other room eating a snack and talking incessantly at me “what are you doing? A wee or a poo? Have you finished? Where’s the baby? What are you doing?” And repeat.

My husband goes to the toilet and has 10 minutes of peace 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Ladies who have toddlers and a newborn, what do you about naps?

i know they are meant to be in the same room as you until 6 months so can’t put her in the nursery, so have my little one napping in her basket in the lounge but she keeps waking up thanks to the chaos my older daughter makes, i mean she isn’t extremely loud, normal toddler level, its just frustrating as it takes me ages to get her down thanks to the reflux and she wakes up constantly 😩

• Heart
Thank you
Do tiny drops from the syringe into their mouth, it takes a while but really works for us and my daughter ended up loving when the calpol syringe came out after her jabs and got better at taking it over time 😂 hope your little one is doing ok x

i know they are meant to be in the same room as you until 6 months so can’t put her in the nursery, so have my little one napping in her basket in the lounge but she keeps waking up thanks to the chaos my older daughter makes, i mean she isn’t extremely loud, normal toddler level, its just frustrating as it takes me ages to get her down thanks to the reflux and she wakes up constantly 😩
Oh that must be horrible 😩😩 have you tried white noise to “block out” the noise from your toddler?

When I’ve had a baby and a toddler in the past we just do contact naps in the sling until they are old enough to go up to bed for naps, and have a proper nap schedule. My baby is only 7 weeks atm but he sleeps in the sling or in my arms just, mostly sling when I’ve got my toddler and it’s just the 3 of us.

I was in the toilet yesterday, baby in the sling starting to fuss, 2.5yo in the other room eating a snack and talking incessantly at me “what are you doing? A wee or a poo? Have you finished? Where’s the baby? What are you doing?” And repeat.

My husband goes to the toilet and has 10 minutes of peace 🙄
Ah my son follows his dad in and all you hear is ‘ oo oo oo yay he did it’ 😂😂

• Haha

I’m having this exact problem too! I don’t know 😩 I just wing it every day really, we’ll go outside and she’ll sleep in the baby carrier or in her nest on the sofa and I’ll put a film on tv for the toddler hoping she’ll keep quiet, or sometimes take toddler to the park so baby can have an hours peace and quiet in the pram. It’s hard though isn’t it 🙈

We had the same problem so have had to put baby in the next to me cot in our room with a video monitor as it’s the only way she isn’t woken by the 3 yr old!

Ah my son follows his dad in and all you hear is ‘ oo oo oo yay he did it’ 😂😂
Yesterday my 5.5yo went in to the toilet, his little sister had indicated she may want to go in to. So he goes in and says
“This is your last chance before it’s too late… almost too late…. almost too late…almost too late… grunts… too late!” 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Oh that must be horrible 😩😩 have you tried white noise to “block out” the noise from your toddler?

When I’ve had a baby and a toddler in the past we just do contact naps in the sling until they are old enough to go up to bed for naps, and have a proper nap schedule. My baby is only 7 weeks atm but he sleeps in the sling or in my arms just, mostly sling when I’ve got my toddler and it’s just the 3 of us.
Yeh she really doesn’t like the white noise 😩 Would have made my life so much easier.

We have a wrap which she sometimes likes, but think because its quite snug it puts pressure on her tummy and aggravates the reflux 😩 and also worry about over heating her in this weather , might have to try it with just her nappy on.

Naps times are where i struggle the most with 2 kids 🥴

We had the same problem so have had to put baby in the next to me cot in our room with a video monitor as it’s the only way she isn’t woken by the 3 yr old!
yes was debating that with one of those breathing matts so maybe once her naps have more of a schedule we will try that, otherwise she will be in there most of the day 😂

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.