New baby / post birth advice

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
which nappies do you use? I know aldi does an extra absorbing one which is ideal for nights. I’m sure other brands have a similar thing
I use the Aldi “premium” ones, are they the ones you mean? Maybe I’ve just had bad luck the last few nights cause when I go to change him his nappy isn’t completely Saturated 😬🙈 just leaks out the edges oops

I use the Aldi “premium” ones, are they the ones you mean? Maybe I’ve just had bad luck the last few nights cause when I go to change him his nappy isn’t completely Saturated 😬🙈 just leaks out the edges oops
yep those one, maybe try a bigger size then?

I'm sure you do already but I would just make sure he's pointing down x

Reactions: 1
Ok so what do you do about nappies at night time? The only time my baby’s nappy really leaks is when it’s too small but he’s stRted sleeping longer at night now (7-8 hrs ish) and everytime he wakes up he’s soaked bless him. Do I get night time nappies or?
I would say for night time, get a bigger size or most of them do a '+' size which are supposed to be extra absorbent

We had this all the with Aldi early on and sizing up helped

I thought I’d avoided the hair loss this time but then it started around 4 months. My hair had gone nice and thick in pregnancy too 🙁

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Ok so what do you do about nappies at night time? The only time my baby’s nappy really leaks is when it’s too small but he’s stRted sleeping longer at night now (7-8 hrs ish) and everytime he wakes up he’s soaked bless him. Do I get night time nappies or?
We have aldi Mamia ones for the day and then use pampers at night - we just get them whereever they're on a deal for a box and they last us ages as we only use 2 a day!

We have aldi Mamia ones for the day and then use pampers at night - we just get them whereever they're on a deal for a box and they last us ages as we only use 2 a day!
Same. I’m very much a ‘own brand is the same, you’re just paying for the name’ person but I got samples of pampers and they beat Aldi hands down. Also when you go to size 2 they cover a bigger size range so you don’t get stuck with loads they’ve grown out of if you’re not careful. Tesco size 3 are a close 2nd but Aldi’s have been relegated to day time only when she’s unlikely to poo 😂

Same. I’m very much a ‘own brand is the same, you’re just paying for the name’ person but I got samples of pampers and they beat Aldi hands down. Also when you go to size 2 they cover a bigger size range so you don’t get stuck with loads they’ve grown out of if you’re not careful. Tesco size 3 are a close 2nd but Aldi’s have been relegated to day time only when she’s unlikely to poo 😂
Haha the Aldi ones do us fine in the day, we've had no leakages, only when we've not pointed his winky down :ROFLMAO: The pampers are much better at night though, 100%. The size 3 aldi ones aren't as thick as the 2s we found. I just gave a neighbour who's expecting about 200 size 1 nappies as we bulk bought and never got through them!

We leaked loads in the tesco ones! he was smaller though. We liked the boots ones for no leaking but they gave him awful nappy rash! I didn't realise nappies differed so much until 5 months! ahhh how my life has changed :D:ROFLMAO:

Hey all, been in the newborn bubble over the last week, but happy to have graduated from the pregnancy thread to here!

I’m feeling a bit tit though as my baby is only 9 days old and I’ve already caved into giving him a dummy. He would just not settle in his bedside crib.

Constant cycle of breastfeeding, him falling asleep on me then putting him in the crib and him waking and crying straight away then repeat. So exhausting.

I can’t see it affecting breastfeeding as he’s an absolute milk monster but someone please tell me I’m not a terrible mum and I haven’t fucked everything up. Or should I have just stopped being a little witch, and continued with the hope of him eventually learning to settle? 😩

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Hey all, been in the newborn bubble over the last week, but happy to have graduated from the pregnancy thread to here!

I’m feeling a bit tit though as my baby is only 9 days old and I’ve already caved into giving him a dummy. He would just not settle in his bedside crib.

Constant cycle of breastfeeding, him falling asleep on me then putting him in the crib and him waking and crying straight away then repeat. So exhausting.

I can’t see it affecting breastfeeding as he’s an absolute milk monster but someone please tell me I’m not a terrible mum and I haven’t fucked everything up. Or should I have just stopped being a little witch, and continued with the hope of him eventually learning to settle? 😩
My little girl is 5 weeks and we started giving her a dummy last week, I wasn’t going to but she was so unsettled at night after her bottles and constantly sucking her fingers. It’s been great for us because I no longer have to rock her to sleep after every bottle for 30+ minutes and she’ll happily go straight into her Moses basket with the dummy in! 😅 don’t feel bad at all, if it works for you and your baby and he is happy with the dummy and feeding well then I don’t see a problem 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 2
My little girl is 5 weeks and we started giving her a dummy last week, I wasn’t going to but she was so unsettled at night after her bottles and constantly sucking her fingers. It’s been great for us because I no longer have to rock her to sleep after every bottle for 30+ minutes and she’ll happily go straight into her Moses basket with the dummy in! 😅 don’t feel bad at all, if it works for you and your baby and he is happy with the dummy and feeding well then I don’t see a problem 😊
He’s definitely a lot more settled and can now drift off with a dummy in his gob as opposed to constant nipple.

Just reading all the dummy shaming comments online about it messing breastfeeding if you give them it under 4 weeks had me 😩

• Heart
Before I had my baby I said ‘no dummies’..... I based that on absolutely nothing just I’d heard they were ‘bad’.
Cue the reality of being a Mum and she’s had a dummy from days in, it helped her pain from gas no end.
She has it some days for hours, others not at all - it’s absolutely no problem in terms of breast feeding, she isn’t dependant on it. Maybe I could have found another way but if my baby is distressed or in pain, making her happy ASAP is my priority and that does it. Why withhold something that helps, why let them be In pain, cry and get in a tizz or find alternatives that can also result in dependant behaviour? I don’t understand why they’re demonised?!
People love to make tit up to make mums feel terrible!

re BF I also gave my baby a bottle on day 4 (we had issues to start) it’s not affected the BF, she will still happily take either at 4 months which gives me so much more freedom.
I’ve read from so many Mums on FB groups who waited the 6 weeks or so then baby wouldn’t take bottle and loads of mum who found the same as me. Even the midwife said she didn’t believe in nipple confusion 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 6

congratulations!!

nothing wrong with giving your baby a dummy, i dont know any mum who hasnt given it, despite all saying we wouldn’t. The midwives actually gave my first baby a dummy when she was in hospital for jaundice.

it really helps with settling, their gas, or if they have reflux of any kind and also helps reduce risk of SIDS.

if you feel your baby needs it then give it 😀

• Heart
Reactions: 10

Pinkii makes some excellent points about the benefit of dummies. Sometimes they just want to suck something and if it gives your nipples a break and gets baby to sleep it’s not going to interfere with feeding, if baby has it in 24/7 then maybe you might miss some cues but they have other cues that don’t involve their mouth (my baby gets super fidgety).

This might have been discussed already but does anyone else feel like a fat lump? I weight about 10kg more than I did pre pregnancy and even then was unhappy with my weight. Seeing photos of myself over the bank holiday weekend I look so fat ☹ I’m only 8 weeks post partum and had a section so have to be cautious with exercise and feeling so demoralised at the idea of weight loss. I’m so hungry due to breastfeeding and tiredness and the idea of restricting food enough to lose weight is grim!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
dummies - I used to be so anti-dummy. And tbh I still don’t like seeing kids with them in while playing etc, or seeing a four year old running round with one. None of my kids have ever had one, but now I don’t see it as any different to any other comforter. I wouldn’t deny my kids a teddy bear because others thought it looks bad. I wouldnot fight to take it away from them at age X just because so and so says. So why do it with a dummy?

@Tui yes. Times a million. I feel fat and disgusting. I am currently about 25lbs over where I was pre pregnancy, and that’s me down about 20lbs from my end of pregnancy weight. Part of my problem is I put on SO much weight because I was in so much physical pain towards the end of pregnancy that I couldn’t walk far, so exercise was really out of the question. It is slowly coming off, I am starting to move more, and eat less, but it’s so slow and in the meantime NOTHING FITS, and I feel so fat. My in laws have been here this weekend after not seeing them for 7 months so lots of pictures taken, and I’m there in the background looking horrendous. I could honestly cry, I despise myself so much right now. I had a section too, and I think the sitting round recovering for those weeks afterwards definitely stalls things.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
@Tui yep another one whose weight is getting her down. I used to be a 8/10 and now 14 and its really getting me down because I just don’t like how I look. I did manage to lose my pregnancy weight but then i got pregnant again so gained it all back, i try not to be too hard on myself most days as I know i grew a baby in 9 months but its hard when you see pictures of yourself

I have started my diet this week, i need to lose weight for my self but also my health, i’m on the verge of type 2 diabetes after 2 pregnancies with GD.

• Heart
My son had a dummy from day one as the midwife said he was a sucky baby and it really settled him. He then turned out to have silent reflux so it brought him great comfort and helped with that. He’s four now, he was three before he was ready to let it go but can confirm he was an early speaker and his teeth are perfect. He never wanted a blanket or toy as his dummy was his comforter, much like how you feed your baby or if you co-slept etc no one asks after a certain age. Awaiting the arrival of second baby and if they seem to want the extra comfort I will have no hesitation in using a dummy.

• Heart
This might have been discussed already but does anyone else feel like a fat lump? I weight about 10kg more than I did pre pregnancy and even then was unhappy with my weight. Seeing photos of myself over the bank holiday weekend I look so fat ☹ I’m only 8 weeks post partum and had a section so have to be cautious with exercise and feeling so demoralised at the idea of weight loss. I’m so hungry due to breastfeeding and tiredness and the idea of restricting food enough to lose weight is grim!
There’s a really supportive weight loss thread on here ☺

I’m bottle feeding so found it easier to lose my baby weight, but remember your body has been through a lot. Maybe try some small goals like going for a walk each day, and building up your exercise if you feel able to.

Reactions: 2
We also said no dummy, then caved not long in! :ROFLMAO: It was a godsend during those colicky weeks and with his silent reflux, helped to stop the screaming even if just for a few mins!
My little one is 5 months now and we went cold turkey with the dummy this weekend to help with his sleep and it's been fine - I would give our next baby a dummy 100%. No shame in it at all!

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.