New baby / post birth advice

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Definitely agree with leaving the car seat in the car. I brought a car seat from my friend (trusted) and it didn't fit my pram so we just left it in and took her out and put her in the sling when out. Also now she is too heavy to carry in the car seat 😂
I also read that newborns shouldn't be in the car seat for very long so I didn't like to keep her in it anyway.
Honestly, baby wearing is the way forward!

Reactions: 4
I’m definitely getting to the stage now where it’s too heavy to carry car seat with baby in and have been looking at the 360 too but what do you do about the seat being cold to put them into? Just warm the car up a bit or? And what about if you need to pop into a shop really briefly say pay for petrol or post something, do you leave them in the car or take them in in arms or always have sling on or...?

I’m also going to try a sling again but she doesn’t like it so I worry I’ve got her legs wrong and we both stress out - lockdown has been so shite for peer support with things like this 😢 any top tips?
I’ve never once worried about a car seat being cold 🙈 in dead of winter I would sometimes warm the car first for us all of it is freezing cold. As @WhatABore said I also use pay at pump, and honestly I rarely go in shops anyway, if I do I use a sling.

With regards to your sling, what makes you think baby doesn’t like it? What sort of sling have you got?

Thank you so much for the advice everyone!

I actually already have the car seat and opted for the Joie 360 as it’s been highly recommended to me by everyone. So the car seat part of the travel system I’m not too worried about as we won’t use it much (other than if my partner uses his car and they go out without me). I did suddenly wonder though, when baby is born will they allow us to just carry her out to the car when we leave?! Or do we need something to transport her in from the ward to the car? Ugh so many things to think about!

I live in the city so need a pram that’s good for pavements etc. I saw loads of recommendations for the Mamas and Papas Ocarro one on the pregnancy thread, it’s a lot of money but I guess it’s worth paying a bit more so that it lasts!
Huh I never thought about leaving the ward with no car seat! I would probably just pop baby in the pram/sling in that case and say you have a static car seat if they ask. I’m sure plenty of people don’t use the infant seats anymore so they are probably used to it.

Shopping with a pram - what is the etiquette? Can I put stuff in basket then pay? Can’t struggle round with a hand basket too

Huh I never thought about leaving the ward with no car seat! I would probably just pop baby in the pram/sling in that case and say you have a static car seat if they ask. I’m sure plenty of people don’t use the infant seats anymore so they are probably used to it.
The hospital i gave birth with my first two wouldn't let babies leave without first being seen in a car seat.
A friend of mine gave birth at the same hospital and she didn't have a car seat as she and her husband don't drive but they had to borrow one to leave, the hospital told them that even if she is going home via public transport the baby should be in a car seat so they wanted to see that that was in place.
We're in Wales it might be different elsewhere 🤷‍♀️

Shopping with a pram - what is the etiquette? Can I put stuff in basket then pay? Can’t struggle round with a hand basket too
I always do this, probably looks like I’m walking round the shop stealing loads of stuff but I’m not carrying a basket and pushing a pram 😂

Reactions: 1
The hospital i gave birth with my first two wouldn't let babies leave without first being seen in a car seat.
A friend of mine gave birth at the same hospital and she didn't have a car seat as she and her husband don't drive but they had to borrow one to leave, the hospital told them that even if she is going home via public transport the baby should be in a car seat so they wanted to see that that was in place.
If the car seat is in the car then I’d invite them out to the car to see it, a safe car seat is a safe car seat whether it is a removable infant one or not.

What about attach a shopping bag to the handle and fill it with your stuff? This is one of many reasons I don’t use a pram tbh, they are actually a bit of a pain in public places!

Things I remember from my 37 hour labour that helped (it's a little foggy!):
- Take lip balm if you plan on using gas and air.
- Get a bottle with a straw, I was tanking the water during labour and it just made it easy to get a lot of liquid in.
- For God's sake if you need the pain relief, just take it. There are no prizes for doing it uneducated, and you get the same result at the end.
- The mixture of gas and air and diamorphine make it feel like you are on a really good night out 😆
- Take easy, fuss free snacks like Snackajacks.
- I think all the water I drank also really helped with that first poo. I had a second degree tear that they decided against stitching for some reason and was a bit worried, but honestly it was the same as any other poo!
- Get a squirt bottle and keep it by the toilet, fill it with warm water before every wee and squirt on your nether regions as you're peeing. Thank me later.
- Take your own pillow to the hospital, one that you've slept on for a couple of nights. I found it really calming to have something that smelt familiar with me.
-Make sure you take at least shower gel with you, that first shower after giving birth is wonderful. Try to get a fragrance free, gentle one of you can because if it somehow gets onto any wounds it does sting a bit.
- Along the same lines, toothbrush and toothpaste is a must too, especially if you labour over a couple of nights when cleaning your teeth might not be a priority.
- If you're wanting to breastfeed and either don't really know how to or are having problems, ASK FOR HELP. I cannot stress this enough. Do not get signed off from midwifery care (usually a visit or 2 after you've had baby) until you are happy breastfeeding.
- Along those lines, and if you're able to afford it, get an IBCLC lined up just in case.
- If during the night (if you stay in) a midwife comes and asks if you want her to take baby away for a couple of hours, say yes. It might be your last chance for a little while to get a solid block of sleep in.

That's all I can think of from the top of my head but feel free to chuck any questions my way!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I do this all the time, I have a jools and when I’m home I can unzip the basket from the pram and take it straight indoors it’s really handy! Although wouldn’t actually recommend the pram it’s so heavy and bulky only keeping it for baby 2 as my parents bought it for us and I feel guilty. We have 2 baby zens otherwise.

We have a mountain buggy swift that we got with our first in 2017 and are now using with our second. It has been used non stop since Oct 2017 and still in great condition.
We have a cybex sirona car seat for baby that stays in the car and I use the sling if popping out. Tbh I use the sling more than the buggy as so much easier than lifting things in and out of car and gives me my boot space back. We have a Tula free to grow carrier which I got when my first was born and used with her until she was about 2 and now using with baby number 2.

I’ve also never warmed my car seat up 😂 at a petrol station if I have to go with baby I just leave her inthe car 😬

Thank you so much for the advice everyone!

I actually already have the car seat and opted for the Joie 360 as it’s been highly recommended to me by everyone. So the car seat part of the travel system I’m not too worried about as we won’t use it much (other than if my partner uses his car and they go out without me). I did suddenly wonder though, when baby is born will they allow us to just carry her out to the car when we leave?! Or do we need something to transport her in from the ward to the car? Ugh so many things to think about!

I live in the city so need a pram that’s good for pavements etc. I saw loads of recommendations for the Mamas and Papas Ocarro one on the pregnancy thread, it’s a lot of money but I guess it’s worth paying a bit more so that it lasts!
With my hospital, you have to have the car seat to leave.. However, if it's one that you don't take out the car... They send someone out with you.

Reactions: 3
With my first 2 we didn’t have a car and we were allowed to go home with baby in the pram. I only lived a 5 min walk away from the hospital. I’m in England.

Anyone who has had a section - do you find your bladder sensation has totally changed? I don’t get any urge to wee until my bladder is so full I get abdominal pain - but still no urge to wee, I’m just sat there like “my scar hurts, maybe I need a wee?”
So odd! Only had a catheter in for 12 hours so don’t think it’s that

Absolute hero to just dander home after birth!! 💪🏻
I also walked to the hospital while in labour with them both. People always think I’m crazy 😂 But no way was I getting in a taxi while having contractions, esp when the hospital was so close.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 4
@CrimeJunkie we got the icandy peach and adore it. Pre pandemic we went into John Lewis to test push a few, we were torn between bugaboo and iCandy. The icandy was our favourite following our visit, it just felt nice to push and handle. The bugaboo felt very flimsy in the frame in comparison which we didn’t feel the similar price tags were worthy.

We chose iCandy for many reasons, the basket capacity can hold up to 10kg. We were thinking about days out, the beach, shopping etc when you have tons to lug around and wanted a basket that could cope. All the basket has really done is carry my husband parents shopping each weekend when we drop it at their door 😂 It’s super spacious too and we can honestly fit loads in. The icandy can covert to a double with extra adapters, but maintain the same width. The bugaboo does convert but is then wider which I’ve seen people mention is too wide for some places, door frames, public transport so it really does depend for you personally. Our car seat was a maxi cosi which is compatible with the car seat adapters and this was really handy when my daughter detested the carrycot and I was able to use the car seat on the frame for short walks. The carrycot is also suitable for overnight sleep if you were going anywhere. We needed a system with puncture proof tyres as we wanted to go for park and woodland walks but also something that was fine for pavements and walking into town with. The handle bar has several height adjustments which meant both me and my husband would be comfortable pushing, I’m 5”5 and he’s 6”4. The carry strap is great when the frame is folded down and it also stands alone which saves space. The 5 year warranty was also a big plus for us as we wanted something we could rely on when we had another baby. We wanted a system that could adapt as our baby grew, rather than needing to buy a pushchair once baby was too heavy. The icandy peach weight limit is 25kg which I believe is around 4 years. We just wanted one that could do it all.

We’ve had it nearly 2 years now and not had any issues though. It’s been used a ton for walking with lockdown and is in great condition still. We’ve certainly got our monies worth already. We got ours on a deal from the Bournemouth baby centre with all the accessories and our car seat which saved us over £300 IIRC. It’s always worth looking around for deals. Good luck 😃

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Anyone who has had a section - do you find your bladder sensation has totally changed? I don’t get any urge to wee until my bladder is so full I get abdominal pain - but still no urge to wee, I’m just sat there like “my scar hurts, maybe I need a wee?”
So odd! Only had a catheter in for 12 hours so don’t think it’s that
Definitely straight afterwards, but it lessens quite quickly over time, so now at 11 days post section I’m “normal” in regards to that. If you aren’t able to feel that you should mention it at your 6 week check definitely.

I’m not much help with prams for newbies as I use a sling, but I actually found the opposite of above with the car seat. Because we don’t use a pram our newborn car seat being portable is really a bit redundant for us, and I remember last time it wasn’t long until we left it in the car and just popped baby in and out as needed. If you don’t think you’d be using the car seat attached to a pram a lot (especially with the new time limit guidance) then I’d think about going straight for a fixed car seat, which spins (we have the joie 360 for our toddler and it’s fab).
Yeah same here we rarely used the car seat attachment for the pram. I know a lot of people use them like a pram, which isn’t advised. I just don’t think it’s worth the risk and can’t be very comfortable for babies.

We got the mamas and papas urbo2 with the carry cot car seat etc. Think it was £620 at the time. I looooovve it can’t wait to use it again. Perfect for round the streets and easy to steer with 1 hand in the shops. I’m not sure mama and papas sell it any more though.

I would recommend going to m&p’s for a consultation though the staff are so well trained on all things pram/car seat related.

We have a cybex cloud Z car seat which reclines almost flat when on our pram so can use in place of bassinet without usual rules of car seats. Haven’t tried that feature yet but have used reclined car seat for baby to sleep in when at in laws house and worked nicely

Mums... is it normal for my 6 week old to be permanently hungry? He finishes his feed and literally 30 mins later it’s like he’s been starved all week 😳😳 praying it’s a growth spurt 😂

Mums... is it normal for my 6 week old to be permanently hungry? He finishes his feed and literally 30 mins later it’s like he’s been starved all week 😳😳 praying it’s a growth spurt 😂
Definitely a growth spurt at 6 weeks 😊 although I think every day from day 1 to about 2 years old is a growth spurt 🙈

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.