New baby and post birth advice #7

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Having a bit of a wobble today. I’ve not been feeling well (been sick a few times and have awful trapped wind) and baby is a bit unsettled too, she is cluster feeding although she’s pretty much been doing that since the day we got home so maybe that is just her normal. I am combi feeding and she has a couple of formula feeds a day but takes so little that it doesn’t really give me much of a break. Just feel like today it’s really hit me that I’m in for another 6 months of having a baby stuck to me 24 hours a day! I love her but it’s a stifling suffocating feeling for me 😢 I have only been sleeping a couple of hours a night so that is probably exacerbating the feelings
It’s so tough being poorly and having a cluster feeding baby, I hope you’re doing okay! Try and have a nice sofa/duvet day if you can and don’t fret about housework etc, just snuggle with baby all day. The early days were SO overwhelming for me, and the worry that she’d feed 24houra a day forever but 5 months in she definitely gives me far more rest between feeds! I still feed her 8-10 times a day through choice (it calms her down and she’s teething - some days it’s a little less) but it gets so much easier! Hope you feel better soon!!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Having a bit of a wobble today. I’ve not been feeling well (been sick a few times and have awful trapped wind) and baby is a bit unsettled too, she is cluster feeding although she’s pretty much been doing that since the day we got home so maybe that is just her normal. She is a very windy baby so wondering if it’s my milk not sitting well with her. I am combi feeding and she has a couple of formula feeds a day but takes so little that it doesn’t really give me much of a break. Just feel like today it’s really hit me that I’m in for another 6 months of having a baby stuck to me 24 hours a day! I love her but it’s a stifling suffocating feeling for me 😢 I have only been sleeping a couple of hours a night so that is probably exacerbating the feelings
Sending all the love. When you’re not well yourself it makes parenting so much harder. I have felt that stifled, suffocated feeling Many times. It is usually on very hard days, which today has been for you. Do what you need to to get through, you don’t have to be at your best today or tomorrow, some days are just surviving. And it’s ok not to love every second, and it’s ok to feel resentful that you never get one second to yourself. you’re not a robot, and this is hard x

@Definitelyme just replying to you from the last thread. Yep, a completely new job! I’m working for the nhs, couldn’t hack being self employed anymore!
My husband is self employed and it definitely has its downsides. Wishing you a very happy future in your new career 🥂

• Heart
Reactions: 6
It’s so tough being poorly and having a cluster feeding baby, I hope you’re doing okay! Try and have a nice sofa/duvet day if you can and don’t fret about housework etc, just snuggle with baby all day. The early days were SO overwhelming for me, and the worry that she’d feed 24houra a day forever but 5 months in she definitely gives me far more rest between feeds! I still feed her 8-10 times a day through choice (it calms her down and she’s teething - some days it’s a little less) but it gets so much easier! Hope you feel better soon!!
Sending all the love. When you’re not well yourself it makes parenting so much harder. I have felt that stifled, suffocated feeling Many times. It is usually on very hard days, which today has been for you. Do what you need to to get through, you don’t have to be at your best today or tomorrow, some days are just surviving. And it’s ok not to love every second, and it’s ok to feel resentful that you never get one second to yourself. you’re not a robot, and this is hard x
thank you both ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 1
@ShantayYouStay didn’t get a chance to reply before the thread closed! I’ll be thinking of you tonight! Sorry to hear about your stitches as well, that honestly sounds so uncomfortable.hopefully everything will still heal ok? I’ve been massaging my boobs when i feed today and it’s helped so much with the engorgement. Baby has been quite hiccupy though so probably shooting milk out to fast, so satisfying to get rid of all the lumps though. Also, my midwife suggested rolling a blanket up like a sausage and making a little U shape to hug around baby in the snuzpod. It didn’t work for me in the snuz but has seemed to help in settle in the moses basket, i suppose it makes it similar to the dockatot though just not round the face. Two of my friends swear by the dockatot though, one of them used to put it in the snuzpod and the other uses it when co-sleeping. I couldn’t handle either of those situations, my anxiety would be through the roof!

@cj_ii Thank you! And lol, you’re right they can be a bit dull. Although he did wee and poo on husband during his last nappy change so that was good viewing.

Husband and I came to bed early as baby was spark out until i got ready to fall asleep, so now i feel like I’ve already been here for hours.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I always ask my dogs if they want to go to battersea when they’ve been cheeky and I swear they know and behave so well afterwards 🤣 I ask the baby when she’s being naughty as well, and she looks at me like I’m a moron 😂
Haha I threaten my cats that I’ll send them back to the RSPCA lady we adopted them from, they just carry on being naughty because they are dicks 🤦🏻‍♀️🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha
[Husband and I came to bed early as baby was spark out until i got ready to fall asleep, so now i feel like I’ve already been here for hours.
[/QUOTE]
Why do they do that. Husband put to bed a sleeping content baby and nearly 2 hours later she’s still awake 😳

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 3
@Hbirdette glad it went well! Did I read on the other thread that you’ll be working from home after your induction? Will you have childcare? (Sorry if that’s intrusive, I go back after Xmas and frankly have no idea wtf I’m going to do 🙃)
Not Intrusive at all! Yes that’s right, I have to drive to park and ride and get the tram in so it’ll save me 40 mins each way both days. We’ve got him in nursery 2 days a week which is 5 mins from home (nearly had him in nursery near the hospital so I’m really pleased about that!) and on the 3rd day it’ll either be my husband or our parents coming over to ours ☺ We’re on the waiting list for the 3rd day but who knows how long that will take 🤷🏻‍♀️

@ShantayYouStay didn’t get a chance to reply before the thread closed! I’ll be thinking of you tonight! Sorry to hear about your stitches as well, that honestly sounds so uncomfortable.hopefully everything will still heal ok? I’ve been massaging my boobs when i feed today and it’s helped so much with the engorgement. Baby has been quite hiccupy though so probably shooting milk out to fast, so satisfying to get rid of all the lumps though. Also, my midwife suggested rolling a blanket up like a sausage and making a little U shape to hug around baby in the snuzpod. It didn’t work for me in the snuz but has seemed to help in settle in the moses basket, i suppose it makes it similar to the dockatot though just not round the face. Two of my friends swear by the dockatot though, one of them used to put it in the snuzpod and the other uses it when co-sleeping. I couldn’t handle either of those situations, my anxiety would be through the roof!

@cj_ii Thank you! And lol, you’re right they can be a bit dull. Although he did wee and poo on husband during his last nappy change so that was good viewing.

Husband and I came to bed early as baby was spark out until i got ready to fall asleep, so now i feel like I’ve already been here for hours.
They think everything should still heal fine so have given me some gel & a cleaning spray to treat the bit that’s burst & I think everything should hopefully knit itself together 🤞🏼 although I sneezed for the first time today & feel like I burst the whole lot 😂 no idea how you’re supposed to sneeze or cough with them! Another night of baby being totally fine between feeds but just not settling in the snuz pod at all, tried her in a sleeping bag for the first time which she seems to like but she just won’t stop moving so another night of zero sleep. Yeah I’ve got friends who just use the dockatot but my anxiety would be the same & I don’t think I feel comfortable co sleeping without someone watching us. Just finishing a feed then my partners going to hold her while I try get a couple of hours. I also really do love breastfeeding but I definitely don’t think she gets that same sleepy way formula fed babies do which doesn’t help, she’s clearly getting enough though because she only lost 2% then was above birth weight on day 5 & yesterday on day 10 had gained another 10oz in the 5 days 😂 but I just think for my mental health when my partners back at work I need to move to bottles at night at least. Tried expressing which has worked well but she won’t take the bottles. It’s the MAM anti colic ones I have & would love her to take them after spending £60 on the starter kit 😂 but I don’t know if I should try the NUK ones. Hope you’ve had a better night tonight!

I do have a sling actually i should dig it out I’m not too sure what size she has to be for it. I think it’s 8lb plus and her last weigh in was 7lb 15 so she might be about there
My friend told me once that even though it may not feel like it you are their comfort when you’re holding them. I stopped rocking and bouncing baby tango because of her melt downs in my arms and she essentially had to self soothe herself to calm down. I can now lay her down and night to only pop in when her dummy has fallen out
She only links the sling if moving, I have pictures of her screaming escaping the sling like Jack Nicholson in the shining while I was sat on the sofa 😂

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 5
Another night of baby being totally fine between feeds but just not settling in the snuz pod at all, tried her in a sleeping bag for the first time which she seems to like but she just won’t stop moving so another night of zero sleep. Yeah I’ve got friends who just use the dockatot but my anxiety would be the same & I don’t think I feel comfortable co sleeping without someone watching us.
Sorry I can’t remember if someone has mentioned this already but the non stop moving is a weird but totally normal newborn thing, mine was the same! It sounds odd but are her eyes closed? As long as they’re not crying they’re fine, the amount of movement is to do with them not being in a proper deep sleep. I had about a week of hardly any sleep myself cos I’d be sat watching her thrashing around but you do eventually get used to it and they do calm down.

We also have a purflo nest which is similar to the dockatot but approved for overnight sleep. Appreciate you might not want to buy another though!

• Heart
She only links the sling if moving, I have pictures of her screaming escaping the sling like Jack Nicholson in the shining while I was sat on the sofa 😂
Omg 😂 😂

I actually had dreams for the first night since he was born last night so must have actually had a deep sleep, finally used to all the ridiculous baby noises right next to me in the night then :ROFLMAO:

They think everything should still heal fine so have given me some gel & a cleaning spray to treat the bit that’s burst & I think everything should hopefully knit itself together 🤞🏼 although I sneezed for the first time today & feel like I burst the whole lot 😂 no idea how you’re supposed to sneeze or cough with them! Another night of baby being totally fine between feeds but just not settling in the snuz pod at all, tried her in a sleeping bag for the first time which she seems to like but she just won’t stop moving so another night of zero sleep. Yeah I’ve got friends who just use the dockatot but my anxiety would be the same & I don’t think I feel comfortable co sleeping without someone watching us. Just finishing a feed then my partners going to hold her while I try get a couple of hours. I also really do love breastfeeding but I definitely don’t think she gets that same sleepy way formula fed babies do which doesn’t help, she’s clearly getting enough though because she only lost 2% then was above birth weight on day 5 & yesterday on day 10 had gained another 10oz in the 5 days 😂 but I just think for my mental health when my partners back at work I need to move to bottles at night at least. Tried expressing which has worked well but she won’t take the bottles. It’s the MAM anti colic ones I have & would love her to take them after spending £60 on the starter kit 😂 but I don’t know if I should try the NUK ones. Hope you’ve had a better night tonight!
I ended up caving and letting the baby sleep in the dockatot and she went from no sleep to a 5 hour stretch on the first night - although it could have been a coincidence. I completely understand the anxieties but I did some research online and couldn’t find any cases where the baby had been sleeping in a cot in it, they were all related to co sleeping and a parent having been drinking (which is a risk for co sleeping anyway). I almost crashed the car from sleep deprivation so balanced the risks and found that, for us, it was safer. I had heard stories of babies overheating though so made sure not to over layer her! Obviously I wouldn’t recommend it as the lullaby trust advise against, but just wanted to share my experience. Interestingly the lullaby trust don’t even recommend the purflo which has been approved for overnight sleep. In terms of settling, I found that once the cluster feeding nights were over, she settled better on the boob than the bottle (eg would fall asleep feeding, wake 3-5 times for anywhere between 5-15 minutes and fall straight back to sleep). Apparently breast milk has a sleepy hormone in it at night plus the closeness I guess. If I give her a bottle at night it takes her far longer to settle and doesn’t make her sleep longer. All babies are different though so definitely worth trial and error until you find what works for both of you! (Again just wanted to share my experience to show that those early days/weeks of cluster feeding do pass!) sorry for the essay; but you’ve got this!!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Wondered if it was a fluke but she was up with us til 10pm Saturday as she had painful wind. Anyway I fed her to soothe her after the screaming and she slept til 5 or 6, no 4am thrashing 😳

I’ve dream fed her at 9 each night since and she now goes through til 5:45 so if anyone else has the 4am thrashing, not awake but not settled business, I think it’s their tummy waking up digesting the night feed. With the night feed removed she sleeps longer. I understand this is easier to do because she’s formula fed x

Reactions: 2
Hey guys, thanks for everyone's kind words the other week when I told you guys about my horse getting put to sleep, I can't believe he's gone. I'm absolutely devastated and struggling to parent but at least my wee one gives me a reason to try to be normal for a while 😭
We're both absolutely loaded with the cold (thanks dad!🙄) she won't let me use the snot sucker and won't take calpol so I'm just so stressed because she barely wants to feed with the blocked nose 😔. Not been a good week.....and its only Wed 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Hey guys, thanks for everyone's kind words the other week when I told you guys about my horse getting put to sleep, I can't believe he's gone. I'm absolutely devastated and struggling to parent but at least my wee one gives me a reason to try to be normal for a while 😭
We're both absolutely loaded with the cold (thanks dad!🙄) she won't let me use the snot sucker and won't take calpol so I'm just so stressed because she barely wants to feed with the blocked nose 😔. Not been a good week.....and its only Wed 🤣
So sorry for your loss 🧡 sending you love.

For the cold, could you maybe get one of those plug ins?

My baby has decided she doesn’t want to open her mouth for the bottle. She’s look around and reaches and does her excited sniffing for the bottle, but the mouth isn’t opening it’s so annoying 😂

• Heart
So sorry for your loss 🧡 sending you love.

For the cold, could you maybe get one of those plug ins?
We were going to, but on calpol website it says not to use when animals are in the room and at this point we have a rabbit in every room just about (I'm a sucker for a rescue 🙈) so I wasn't sure about using it 🤔

I’m so sorry about your horse, the grief of losing a pet is awful! They’re not just pets, they’re family 💗
I really rate the nasal spray (snuffle babe?) - cleared up her cold in no time. I also ate loads of oranges in the hope the vitamin c would come through in my milk, although that’s definitely just a myth haha

• Haha
I use calpol nasal spray on mine. Did it this morning as she’s snuffly and she sneezed out some huge bogies. They’d be big for an adult so god knows how she’s produced something so big 😂 also some snuffle babe room vapour. Not sure it’s too great but it smells really nice and it’s worth a try 😂
And pets are family they are never “just a pet” my cats are my other babies. Sorry for your loss x

I ended up caving and letting the baby sleep in the dockatot and she went from no sleep to a 5 hour stretch on the first night - although it could have been a coincidence. I completely understand the anxieties but I did some research online and couldn’t find any cases where the baby had been sleeping in a cot in it, they were all related to co sleeping and a parent having been drinking (which is a risk for co sleeping anyway). I almost crashed the car from sleep deprivation so balanced the risks and found that, for us, it was safer. I had heard stories of babies overheating though so made sure not to over layer her! Obviously I wouldn’t recommend it as the lullaby trust advise against, but just wanted to share my experience. Interestingly the lullaby trust don’t even recommend the purflo which has been approved for overnight sleep. In terms of settling, I found that once the cluster feeding nights were over, she settled better on the boob than the bottle (eg would fall asleep feeding, wake 3-5 times for anywhere between 5-15 minutes and fall straight back to sleep). Apparently breast milk has a sleepy hormone in it at night plus the closeness I guess. If I give her a bottle at night it takes her far longer to settle and doesn’t make her sleep longer. All babies are different though so definitely worth trial and error until you find what works for both of you! (Again just wanted to share my experience to show that those early days/weeks of cluster feeding do pass!) sorry for the essay; but you’ve got this!!
My baby sleeps in the purflo one which is pretty much the same and she settles so much he easier and the swaddle suit but I think it may be time to let her have her hands out as she likes to put her hands over her eyes and hold the Muslim blanket it’s really cute I move it when she falls asleep but she is exactly like me and won’t sleep with the light on her x ps I’ve started watching Christmas feels I never usually put the tree up ubtil
12 days before as my fiancé is superstitious but I really want to this year haha xx

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.