New baby and post birth advice #7

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi Ladies abit of honest advice needed
Iv got a now 5month old beautiful little boy. But iv noticed alot of family members kissing him all over and getting up into his face alot. I understand they want to be close to him but it's making me uneasy
I know he's not newborn anymore but I still think he's so young and with all this covid going around it makes me so anxious
But do I say something to them? Would you? Or do you guys think that it's good for them to have some germs now?
I think the covid things has made me a little anxious about germs regarding my baby so I don't know if I'm being too cautious?
Also is it normal for me to be really anxious still when people just pick him up without asking me? Xxx
I’m exactly the same I’m really paranoid about them getting a cold or cough. I wasn’t confident enough to tell people so got my husband to have a word with his family. We’ve also had to tell a few friends they will have to wait a couple more weeks before visiting. It’s lovely people want to visit but we would have ended up with visitors every evening (couldn’t think of anything worse). Plus with everyone going to Xmas parties etc it’s made me paranoid x

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Thanks hun.
its interesting your partners family wasn't happy, I actually think this is the response we will be met with.
yeh I felt super anxious knowing this particular member works in a school and has been going to London for drinks etc. And I know she has to work and we all have to get back to normal,but my little boy is still so young and it upset me that she was all over him and didn't even ask if she could kiss him or pick him up etc.
Iv ordered a pram tag off etsy now which says keep your distance xxx
I don’t blame you for feeling this way at all. Luckily my family were told before she came out of NICU that they have to wash their hands before they touch her, can’t kiss her and not to come and see her if they have a cold. It came from the Dr so I was able to tell them it was drs orders so they didn’t think it was me just being “funny” (although I’m sure they’d understand if I had said it).
if you feel a bit awkward it coming from you (even though it’s your absolute right as his mother and also because RSV is rife right now) could you say the HV has said to make sure people wash their hands, don’t kiss baby and keep away if they have colds? They need to just accept it, babies health is more important. After winter May be fine but during all this winter period baby is so susceptible to bugs and what is just a cold for us could be worse for them (and that’s not even taking into consideration covid).
My brother, wife and nephew were meant to come up today but they’ve all got colds so said they don’t want to risk making the baby ill.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
@Upintheair83 I’m exactly the same, from the start we’ve said that people need to wash their hands before holding her and no one is allowed to kiss her.

Like you, I still feel a bit nervous about reminding my partners family. Luckily his mum and sisters know why you’re not supposed to kiss babies, but last time we saw them his dad kissed her twice. It was on the top of her head but I noticed it from across the room and didnt want to shout across to him. My partner was stood right there watching and didn’t say anything, so that was a conversation we had later on - he said he felt a bit awkward but also felt bad for not saying anything, and we agreed it has to be a joint thing to keep baby safe. I’ve got no problem telling my family and friends but after last time I’ve told myself it’s not rude to tell his family because she’s my baby and as her mum I want to keep her safe.

As others have said, people need to respect our rules whether they agree with them or not!

• Heart
Oh ladies I'm so so grateful for all of your advice, makes me feel like its not me being awkward, funny or mean but I'm just being a mum. And I do feel confident now that I should speak up and I also feel like I should tell my partner to be more vocal around his family.
Being a FTM I just wasn't sure if it was me being extra paranoid/ cautious.

I still don't understand why people think it's a good thing to kiss babies though, iv never ever done it to babies iv met. I understand its natural to want to show affection but in this current climate I honestly thought people would be extra careful.

❤❤❤❤ love all your advice xx

Reactions: 8
OK, I should know better but I really need to stay off Google.
Twin 2 will only lay on one side of her head, which has obviously made her head on one side flat, so now her head looks really long. I know flat heads are common in babies who don't sit up unsupported, boy Thankyous back of the head was flat but it doesn't stop me Googling. I've convinced myself she's got genetic craniosynostosis and it isn't isn't positional.
I know its nothing serious and it's so common in preemies and twins because of lack of room. Honestly someone shoot me with a tranq gun. I'm sending myself insane, I feel like a FTM all over again. I need to sto comparing her to her sister, she's a proper Ronnie round head.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 14
Twin 2 will only lay on one side of her head, which has obviously made her head on one side flat, so now her head looks really long. I know flat heads are common in babies who don't sit up unsupported, boy Thankyous back of the head was flat but it doesn't stop me Googling. I've convinced myself she's got genetic craniosynostosis and it isn't isn't positional.
I know its nothing serious and it's so common in preemies and twins because of lack of room. Honestly someone shoot me with a tranq gun. I'm sending myself insane, I feel like a FTM all over again. I need to sto comparing her to her sister, she's a proper Ronnie round head.
Google is evil. I Google everything and I’m driving myself insane. My baby only lies to the right. They’ll probably grow out of it as they get bigger.
I’m telling myself now if I’m really worried go gp or HV and try and stay off Google.
My husband ran me a bath the other night and took my phone away from me as dr Google was driving me nuts with her reflux and feeding (which is still playing up so got the gp tues)
Try not to drive yourself mad. It’s so
Scary being responsible for these complicated little souls x

Reactions: 2
Google is evil. I Google everything and I’m driving myself insane. My baby only lies to the right. They’ll probably grow out of it as they get bigger.
I’m telling myself now if I’m really worried go gp or HV and try and stay off Google.
My husband ran me a bath the other night and took my phone away from me as dr Google was driving me nuts with her reflux and feeding (which is still playing up so got the gp tues)
Try not to drive yourself mad. It’s so
Scary being responsible for these complicated little souls x
Isn't it just. I find myself googling during a night feed just to keep me awake 😂
The logical person inside me knows anything medical would of been picked up in NICU & we have our 3 month NICU check tomorrow with the consultant so I'll mention it then anyway, and i know the cranial osteopath appointment on Thursday will help her. Doesn't stop us though does it?
Like your LO she only goes on her right, and she's my really refluxy baby I wonder if reflux plays a big part in it too?!
How has her feeding been this weekend? X

Reactions: 5
Isn't it just. I find myself googling during a night feed just to keep me awake 😂
The logical person inside me knows anything medical would of been picked up in NICU & we have our 3 month NICU check tomorrow with the consultant so I'll mention it then anyway, and i know the cranial osteopath appointment on Thursday will help her. Doesn't stop us though does it?
Like your LO she only goes on her right, and she's my really refluxy baby I wonder if reflux plays a big part in it too?!
Worst time to be on Google during the night shift, your emotions are more heightened. But we’re all guilty of it. Just make a note of everything you want checking for peace of mind
I’m going to mention all concerns at my 6 week pp check Tuesday.
her feeding has been so up and down.
she’s had 7oz in 4 hours but over 3 feeds. We were doing so well with her feeding then boom it’s just changed all of a sudden. She just starts getting all refluxy and it looks like she’s in pain and then that’s it not interested in eating any more 🙄can’t wait to get her new prescription.Hopefully that will help her. ☹ X

• Heart
Is there a trophy for being stupid? Appointment to get coil tomorrow and we had an… ahem, slip up early this morning. Can’t take MAP due to grave risk the hormones give me 🙃 Pharmacist said she couldn’t give it To me, which I expected.
today is also the day Baby Tango was conceived last year. Feeling incredibly stupid and laid up in bed with my second cold in 2 weeks

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Is there a trophy for being stupid? Appointment to get coil tomorrow and we had an… ahem, slip up early this morning. Can’t take MAP due to grave risk the hormones give me 🙃 Pharmacist said she couldn’t give it To me, which I expected.
today is also the day Baby Tango was conceived last year. Feeling incredibly stupid and laid up in bed with my second cold in 2 weeks
Oh dear 🙊🙊 and silly cold too 😔

I think I want a coil. I really don’t want to be on something like the pill anymore were in effects your hormones so much.

Reactions: 1
Oh dear 🙊🙊 and silly cold too 😔

I think I want a coil. I really don’t want to be on something like the pill anymore were in effects your hormones so much.
The contraceptive pill gave me blood clots, I honestly regret taking that blasted pill!

• Wow
  • Sad
Ginger’s head is also a bit flat on one side I’ve tried to get her to sleep the other way doesn’t work I have tried this since she was like 4 weeks old the doctor said it’s normal and my partner said she will have long hair so don’t worry about it bless her but I don’t Google anything now because it worries me a lot x

Ginger’s head is also a bit flat on one side I’ve tried to get her to sleep the other way doesn’t work I have tried this since she was like 4 weeks old the doctor said it’s normal and my partner said she will have long hair so don’t worry about it bless her but I don’t Google anything now because it worries me a lot x
This was my eldest. She always slept on one side and hated tummy time so she has a slightly flat side to her head. But she’s got great thick long hair so it covers it well!!

It’s impossible not to Google and worry! Even when your logical mind says it’s fine, some part of you just doesn’t quite believe it. I’m 100% convinced my baby will have autism, because he won’t eat. There is a train of thought I won’t bore you with but yeah, convinced of it. And everything he does I’m like “that must be another sign” even though I know I am being totally ridiculous! I don’t know what part of being a mum turns us in to insane lunatics, but there we go!

Oops!! I’m sure the odds of getting pregnant on the same day day a year apart are low…!

• Heart
Oops!! I’m sure the odds of getting pregnant on the same day day a year apart are low…!
This is going to be my mantra as I fall asleep tonight! We’ve said if it happens we’ll sell up and move up north as my flat will probably be worth a house, so watch this space northerners I may be coming up 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
This was my eldest. She always slept on one side and hated tummy time so she has a slightly flat side to her head. But she’s got great thick long hair so it covers it well!!

It’s impossible not to Google and worry! Even when your logical mind says it’s fine, some part of you just doesn’t quite believe it. I’m 100% convinced my baby will have autism, because he won’t eat. There is a train of thought I won’t bore you with but yeah, convinced of it. And everything he does I’m like “that must be another sign” even though I know I am being totally ridiculous! I don’t know what part of being a mum turns us in to insane lunatics, but there we go!
Honestly I used to do the exact same as you with Boy Thankyou!!! We got his official diagnosis not so long ago after a big fight.

Honestly if we were this insane without kids we'd all be locked up😂

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Honestly I used to do the exact same as you with Boy Thankyou!!! We got his official diagnosis not so long ago after a big fight.

Honestly if we were this insane without kids we'd all be locked up😂
I’ve known a few people go through (or are going through) the diagnosis process, and the whole thing is just shocking. The system is just so poorly set up. My friend has been exhausted by the whole thing, so I have real admiration for anyone going through it and championing for their little one.

Reactions: 1
Ugh, need to vent. I love LongishKitten to pieces, but omg, I wish she would just sleep in her bed again. She's probably not feeling too well (apparently that's pretty normal around 5 weeks?), so she needs to be interacted with at all times, even while sleeping. If she's fast asleep and we put her in her bed, she miiiiight continue sleeping for about 15 mins, only to wake up again and cry :( she needs to be held and rocked in order to fall asleep.
She's such a sweet girl, bless her, but it's so draining. She's either securely attached to my boob or sleeping on me/OH.
Also she falls asleep while drinking, but if you move her around after feeding, she's immediately wide awake again.
OH has been keeping her with him a bit more during the weekend though, so luckily I've managed to sleep a bit more. Still feeling knackered though 🥴

Also, her nails are so sharp and she looooves scratching my chest 😅

Hope everyone else had a good weekend! ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Ugh, need to vent. I love LongishKitten to pieces, but omg, I wish she would just sleep in her bed again. She's probably not feeling too well (apparently that's pretty normal around 5 weeks?), so she needs to be interacted with at all times, even while sleeping. If she's fast asleep and we put her in her bed, she miiiiight continue sleeping for about 15 mins, only to wake up again and cry :( she needs to be held and rocked in order to fall asleep.
She's such a sweet girl, bless her, but it's so draining. She's either securely attached to my boob or sleeping on me/OH.
Also she falls asleep while drinking, but if you move her around after feeding, she's immediately wide awake again.
OH has been keeping her with him a bit more during the weekend though, so luckily I've managed to sleep a bit more. Still feeling knackered though 🥴

It’s so frustrating when you put a nice peaceful sleeping baby in to bed for them to wake up instantly. How do they know 😂 also baby claws are hr worst, my girl scratches her face all the time ☹ Makes me feel bad as I keep on top of them but I don’t like to keep her hands covered all the time. Makes them cheesy 😂

• Heart

My girls have sharp talons too. I was too scared to cut their tiny nails so I brought a baby nail file. Was really easy to use!

hope you manage to get some rest. Twin 2 won’t settle in her cot unless I let her fall asleep on me first, it’s exhausting!

• Heart

oh poor you, I really struggled in the early days with getting baby down into bed and him staying asleep. I’d spend ages holding him trying to make him sleep just to put him down and he’d wake up again. What I’d say is don’t give up on the crib. Keep on trying to put her down and she’ll extend those stretches of sleep in there. Also find things that help them to find comfort and sleep on their own - swaddles, white noise and a dummy?

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.