New baby and post birth advice #58 Where have all the dummies gone?!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Are they still at as much risk from overheating once they’re a year old?
I managed to get one of the 0.5tog sleeping bags from Sainsbury’s about a month ago. Last year I couldn’t find any that thin other than ones that were like £35 which I didn’t really want to spend for a few weeks use!

Hi guys, although I’ve not yet birthed this baby I’m getting induced in 2 weeks due to the sheer size of him (7lb 1 at 36w!).
I’m just abit worried as my last baby was only 6lb 7 and a little dot!
Just wondering if anyone got told their baby was above 90th centile and their experiences with this and also what to expect when having the propess pessary as method of induction?
I had gestational diabetes and my second baby was predicted to be 8lb5 at 40 weeks on our 39 week scan. I was talked into booking an induction date but pushed for 40+10 days rather than 40+5. He was born in spontaneous labour at 40+2 and weighed 8st3.

Is it just because of size you’re being induced? I was induced with my first and was determined not to do it again. Although my first was 9lb2 at 40+9 due to undiagnosed GD, so I knew I could do a bigger baby.

Reactions: 3
Hi guys, although I’ve not yet birthed this baby I’m getting induced in 2 weeks due to the sheer size of him (7lb 1 at 36w!).
Just wondering if anyone got told their baby was above 90th centile and their experiences with this and also what to expect when having the propess pessary as method of induction?
Ahhh good luck! My first was an emc and weighed 8.10 so when my second was measuring above 90th they pushed for me to have a planned section but to be honest I didn't really fancy giving birth either way 🤣 so I managed to push my section back to 41 weeks and he came fast and furious vbac the day of my planned section weighing 9.2. I wasn't induced, don't have anything to compare it to and he was out in like 20 mins so very fast but was fine and I only got a few mins of gas and air and 2nd degree tear (99th centile head😮💨) They kept me on the planned section ward after and the babies were all 6-7lbs mainly so they kept referring to him as a huge baby😭 the only thing I've ever heard negative about a bigger baby is my friends baby who was 9.4lbs and had undiagnosed reflux till 5 months as apparently with bigger babies the weight drop is less obvious and less of a concern once they get back to their birth weight? Not sure how accurate that is though x

Reactions: 4
I had gestational diabetes and my second baby was predicted to be 8lb5 at 40 weeks on our 39 week scan. I was talked into booking an induction date but pushed for 40+10 days rather than 40+5. He was born in spontaneous labour at 40+2 and weighed 8st3.

Is it just because of size you’re being induced? I was induced with my first and was determined not to do it again. Although my first was 9lb2 at 40+9 due to undiagnosed GD, so I knew I could do a bigger baby.
I had GD with my first and was induced and had a fairly positive birth experience and she weighed 6lb7, this time around I’ve had 2 GTTs and found no diabetes, yet he is predicted over 9lb at 40w.
They offered me C-section at 39-40w or an induction from 38w with the view to have a vaginal birth which I felt I wanted do. I think the dr going through all the complications of having a larger baby, getting stuck, shoulder dystocia etc just freaked me out abit, mixed with having a rough pregnancy so far I’ve jumped at the chance to bring him out early 😂
---
Ahhh good luck! My first was an emc and weighed 8.10 so when my second was measuring above 90th they pushed for me to have a planned section but to be honest I didn't really fancy giving birth either way 🤣 so I managed to push my section back to 41 weeks and he came fast and furious vbac the day of my planned section weighing 9.2. I wasn't induced, don't have anything to compare it to and he was out in like 20 mins so very fast but was fine and I only got a few mins of gas and air and 2nd degree tear (99th centile head😮💨) They kept me on the planned section ward after and the babies were all 6-7lbs mainly so they kept referring to him as a huge baby😭 the only thing I've ever heard negative about a bigger baby is my friends baby who was 9.4lbs and had undiagnosed reflux till 5 months as apparently with bigger babies the weight drop is less obvious and less of a concern once they get back to their birth weight? Not sure how accurate that is though x
Wow that birth sounds mental! I had a 2nd degree tear with my first and felt it wasn’t too bad, but it was hard enough pushing her out and she was fairly petite so I think I’m just getting abit scared about pushing out a big ‘un 🫣

Reactions: 2
Well if anyone remembers my confused lost a while back about the unknown purpose of some short sleeves rompers, we decided they were nightwear and she's been sleeping in those the past few nights.

I'd say it's always best to be cautious and under dress them. They'll let you know if they're cold.

Once they get a bit older though, I recommend whatever you put them in covers their nappy. My friend put her baby to bed in just a nappy and t shirt once, and he very quickly found the tabs on his nappy, undid it, and peed all over his cot. 😬😂
Hahah this is a good tip. The last 2 nights I put baby L in a baby grow with no vest and the nappy sagging was unreal 😂 so tonight it's vest and no baby grow. 25 degrees in his room with the window open! We do have air conditioning but it feels wild needing it in May!

Reactions: 1
I had propess at 41 weeks with baby 3. It was way way better than I imagined - obviously the luck of number 3, but it happened quite quickly and my only issue was that the midwife thought it wasn’t progressing because I didn’t want pain relief.
(Personal choice as I was on a labour ward and not in delivery, so wanted to be comfortable where I was before I started anything like that)
But, I was horrified at the thought of induction and honestly, from my experience, I needn’t have worried xxx

• Heart
Are they still at as much risk from overheating once they’re a year old?
I managed to get one of the 0.5tog sleeping bags from Sainsbury’s about a month ago. Last year I couldn’t find any that thin other than ones that were like £35 which I didn’t really want to spend for a few weeks use!
The risk is still there I guess but they can regulate their temps a lot better at 1 year as they can sweat etc and would probably let us know they’re hot whereas with a tiny baby they wouldn’t be able to show many signs of overheating

If you can get hold of merino clothes and sleep sacks they are great as they regulate temperature in both hot and cold weather!

• Heart
I had GD with my first and was induced and had a fairly positive birth experience and she weighed 6lb7, this time around I’ve had 2 GTTs and found no diabetes, yet he is predicted over 9lb at 40w.
They offered me C-section at 39-40w or an induction from 38w with the view to have a vaginal birth which I felt I wanted do. I think the dr going through all the complications of having a larger baby, getting stuck, shoulder dystocia etc just freaked me out abit, mixed with having a rough pregnancy so far I’ve jumped at the chance to bring him out early 😂
---

Wow that birth sounds mental! I had a 2nd degree tear with my first and felt it wasn’t too bad, but it was hard enough pushing her out and she was fairly petite so I think I’m just getting abit scared about pushing out a big ‘un 🫣
Consultants love to scare women. I really had to fight not to be induced and was lucky I had my midwives on side. If it wasn’t my second and I hadn’t had a traumatic induction experience I would have gone along with being induced unnecessarily. He was also a very quick birth, 2 hours from first pain to holding him in the pool.
My first got stuck with her arm up and I was able to get her out with forceps but was very tough. I personally believe it is easier to birth a baby who is ready as you are both working towards birth. Dr Sarah Wickhamon instagram is a really good resource on big babies.

• Heart
I meant to say the only symptoms I had were cramping but they're like period cramps.. there is a lot of noise around inducing labour. But do what's best for you , your experience will differ fo mine and to Mary down the road

• Heart
we have a hello baby monitor and love it. £69ish off amazon and reaches from one side of the house to another well easy

When do you stop putting baby in a vest during the day? I know the rule of one more layer than you, but given I don’t want to be even wearing one layer, it seems mad to have them in two?🥵

I had little one in shorts and a tee earlier with a vest underneath and it seemed like too much?! But when I google all the charts are around night sleep and sleep bags etc..

When do you stop putting baby in a vest during the day? I know the rule of one more layer than you, but given I don’t want to be even wearing one layer, it seems mad to have them in two?🥵

I had little one in shorts and a tee earlier with a vest underneath and it seemed like too much?! But when I google all the charts are around night sleep and sleep bags etc..
I’ve stopped vests for now. It’s such a hard one 🙈 and especially because the weather looks changeable next week. But I always think it’s better they’re cool than hot and so less risk x

Talking of the hot weather…. Do you use a fan in little one’s room in the heat?
We used one last year when baby was still in with us - as far as I could see the advice online said it was fine as long as the fan wasn't pointing directly at baby. If it's in their room I'd say keep it away from them so they can't reach it/it can't fall on them and point it so it blows air into the room without any of the cold air directly hitting baby, and maybe have it on the highest setting for a while before baby goes to bed and then turn it down while they're in there.

I've got baby in a thin long sleeve baby gro (no legs) and a 1.5 tog bag in a 22 degrees room - is this okay? I'm panicking now 🙈

we have a hello baby monitor and love it. £69ish off amazon and reaches from one side of the house to another well easy
Same think it's great
---
I've got baby in a thin long sleeve baby gro (no legs) and a 1.5 tog bag in a 22 degrees room - is this okay? I'm panicking now 🙈
That's what I have too so I think it's ok. Checked his chest and back and he seems fine.

Sorry for panicking ye ladies. It's just been a dramatic increase and I'm a ftm so overthink everything

• Heart
Same think it's great
---

That's what I have too so I think it's ok. Checked his chest and back and he seems fine.

Sorry for panicking ye ladies. It's just been a dramatic increase and I'm a ftm so overthink everything
No need to apologise, I'm exactly the same. I thought her sleep bag was 2.5 so relieved to see it's 1.5. I rather the winter for dressing them 🙈

This is so random so scroll on if it’s too weird.

TF is CMPA which we found out in Jan/Feb when I’d been back to work a few months. I had been trying to pump but gave up quite quickly as was so busy I couldn’t work it in to my schedule and people at work were being dickheads about the wellbeing rooms where I needed to pump. Anyway, she was always combifed pretty much during my mat leave so we just switched her to 100% bottles fairly quickly and I didn’t really look back re BFing - she was never bothered about BFing and used to push it away, but now I’m wondering if she was doing that because she didn’t like my milk because she knew it made her ill.

on reflection I feel bad I didn’t spot the signs and didn’t adjust my diet for her allergy… and I am wondering if it would be strange to try out a dairy free diet and pump for her now? Turns out I haven’t fully dried up so pumping might be something I can do. For full transparency I BFed my eldest till she was 5.5 so I guess I feel like my BFing journey with TF got cut very short. Also I didn’t enjoy it so thinking maybe pumping would be better over all anyway.

WWYD?

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I'm in some new and special level of hell where baby L and next door's 1 yr old have been shrieking like angry cats on and off for the last hour 🫠

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
The anxiety around baby overheating has come quicker with the second child 🫠 My first was a winter baby so had a few months not worrying, this time she’s only 5 days old and I’m worrying she’s too hot!

On the bright side though, it’s day 5 and I’m finally lying on my side in bed a bit comfier! I hate sleeping on my back and haven’t been able to sleep or get comfy. I can’t wait to sleep on my front again 🤩

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.