New baby and post birth advice #58 Where have all the dummies gone?!

How old is your baby?

• Fresh and new

Votes: 8 8.1%
  • 1-3 mos

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • 3-6 mos

Votes: 22 22.2%
  • 6-9 mos

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • 9-12 mos

Votes: 14 14.1%
  • 12-18mos

Votes: 16 16.2%
  • My baby is no longer a baby but I can't leave

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Just came to have a look around

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • Pregnant and reading ahead

Votes: 13 13.1%

• Total voters
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi *waves* not been round much cos I've gone back to work and baby breakfast has settled into nursery really well! We did have the dreaded 'your baby has a temperature, come and collect them' phone call on day 3, but no tears at drop off since her settling in sessions 🥹

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Does anyone have any suggestions on promoting independence in younger toddlers? Baby WC is 13.5 months and is only just starting to copy what we do (literally this weekend - we played a game of putting balls in the box, then taking them out again, but it's the first time he's started to understand 'instructions' really). OH is still doing his best to spoon feed him and when I challenge him says "but it's messy" or "but he can't do it properly" like yes that's the whole point, he can't do it because you don't let him! I keep seeing tiktoks and reels of toddlers his age or younger who are participating *loosely using that term, haha* in things like chopping fruit, putting away some of the washing up, 'sweeping'. But I can't imagine mine doing that.

We tried to get him to put some coffee pods in the pot we store them in (picking them up and moving them from box they come in to the pot on the counter) and he just shoved one straight in his mouth. 😑

I swear I don't want a little housework slave, I just want him to try different things! Hah. Maybe I'm trying to do this stuff too early?

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Ticking the 12-18 months….. how has that happened!!!

Milk question. Has anyone/does anyone use a cows milk alternative for their babies? Cows milk just doesn’t seem to be getting on with baby wotsit in the quantities he’s drinking. (500-600ml a day)

Reactions: 2
Ticking the 12-18 months….. how has that happened!!!

Milk question. Has anyone/does anyone use a cows milk alternative for their babies? Cows milk just doesn’t seem to be getting on with baby wotsit in the quantities he’s drinking. (500-600ml a day)
We use alpro growing up oat milk 🥰 I used soya for my older two but this one can’t have soya either!
I like it because it’s got added vitamins in for them x

Reactions: 4
We use alpro growing up oat milk 🥰 I used soya for my older two but this one can’t have soya either!
I like it because it’s got added vitamins in for them x
Thankyou. Think I’m gonna go pick some of this up. He’s really struggling with his tummy. Might see if this agrees with him better

Reactions: 1
Going to get baby’s feet measured tomorrow and first shoes ❤ he keeps eyeing out our garden and desperately wants to get out there

And will be our first time taking little one out for a meal at lunch with us tomorrow where he will eat with us (yes we’re very late with this one probably 😂)
Does anyone have any recommendations of the best chain restaurants they’ve gone to eat with a 1+ year old, preferably less super messy food 😅

• Heart
I really feel like I’m in the trenches at the moment. Baby Lava is around six weeks and I think going through some sort of leap/regression. He has suddenly become so fussy, cries unless being held or in a moving pram, and now won’t sleep in his Moses basket at night so I’ve had to start co sleeping which I really didn’t want to do.

In the day it means I can’t nap or get anything done unless he’s in a sling. And then night I’m sleeping so light. I’m guessing I just have to let it ride out? Or will that make it worse? Does it get better and do I need to do anything to get there?

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I really feel like I’m in the trenches at the moment. Baby Lava is around six weeks and I think going through some sort of leap/regression. He has suddenly become so fussy, cries unless being held or in a moving pram, and now won’t sleep in his Moses basket at night so I’ve had to start co sleeping which I really didn’t want to do.

In the day it means I can’t nap or get anything done unless he’s in a sling. And then night I’m sleeping so light. I’m guessing I just have to let it ride out? Or will that make it worse? Does it get better and do I need to do anything to get there?
Not the parenting expert by any means but my advice would be to ride it out - everything is a phase and especially when he's so little, you can think you've got it down then the next week rolls around and everything changes 🥴 I'm sure there's some sort of big leap at 6-8 weeks and things take a dip but they'll soon start to get better 🤞🏻

• Heart
I love that this thread opened this week when I can still tick that 9-12 months 🤣
@WotsitG1 my sister used Alpro growing up soya milk it was on the shelves instead of the fridge.

On the talk of milk. I've started putting cows milk I'm babies bottle mixed with formula (she's 1 next week 😱) because I've tried giving her sips of milk & she just spits it straight back out. I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere though that milk isn't necessarily required once they get to 1, it's just the easiest form of calcium for them. If that's the case, surely I can give yogurts & cheese as part of her diet to help get her daily calcium?

@Nosysamsie Thankyou…. Just been and picked some up! Hopefully this is better on his tummy!
Yea we were told he doesn’t need the milk now, he just loves his bottle for nap! He has loads of youghurt and cheese… basically 90% of his diet….. prob explains the constipation!

I love that this thread opened this week when I can still tick that 9-12 months 🤣
@WotsitG1 my sister used Alpro growing up soya milk it was on the shelves instead of the fridge.

On the talk of milk. I've started putting cows milk I'm babies bottle mixed with formula (she's 1 next week 😱) because I've tried giving her sips of milk & she just spits it straight back out. I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere though that milk isn't necessarily required once they get to 1, it's just the easiest form of calcium for them. If that's the case, surely I can give yogurts & cheese as part of her diet to help get her daily calcium?
I don't know really what the official advice is, but Biscuit Junior hated any milk once we stopped breastfeeding, so we didn't bother. He loves yogurts and cheese and all the other stuff, so we didn't worry.

Baby Biscuit actually seems to really enjoy milk, but I do only really give it to her at bedtime. The rest of the time her dairy comes from food.

Going to get baby’s feet measured tomorrow and first shoes ❤ he keeps eyeing out our garden and desperately wants to get out there

And will be our first time taking little one out for a meal at lunch with us tomorrow where he will eat with us (yes we’re very late with this one probably 😂)
Does anyone have any recommendations of the best chain restaurants they’ve gone to eat with a 1+ year old, preferably less super messy food 😅
We've always liked Zizis for the kids as the menu us decent but the location near us in Glasgow has a nice outside bit to run about a wander outside in and the inside is huge! Pizza hut is good as does food kids love, ice cream factory and its always a riot in there so no one cares about your kid as they are dealing with their own 🤣

• Haha

Harvester, pretty cheap and cheerful but the salad bar means you can go and get them a bowl of veggies and some bread (which might be all they want) as soon as you get there!

Have a look at some websites, depending where you are some schools are still off, so a lot of places will have kids eat free or similar offers. I know Farmhouse Inns do if you have one of those, and Harvester had it if you downloaded their app.

Another vote for harvester, took TF there on Sunday after taking her to Prezzo on Saturday and tbh she liked both, but at harvester they just gave me a bowl for her at no charge and she loved having all the veggies (and throwing the veg) obviously salad bar also includes grains and pasta so you’ll probably be well served!
We also love beefeater for options. Usually tbh I just choose something I can share with her as then it just makes it quite straight forward and you’re not spending £6-10 on food that goes on the floor.

Oh no.. I hope they’re back in school though 😂

Yeah I think we were both going to order different things and give him some of whatever we had !

thanks for the recommends, it’s been so long since I’ve been there so need to see what they even have as well 😅

this kid doesn’t keep still for a second so no idea how they’re going to measure his feet 😂😂

• Haha
Blocked milk duct hell… I’m seeing conflicting advice online about the best way to treat.

Some say: feeding/pumping, warm compress, and massage

But others say: let it rest, ibuprofen, ice, NO massage. So basically the polar opposite.

Help please! I feel like death and I’m trying to stop it turning in to mastitis. I’ve tried changing baby’s feeding position, and lots of water… but so far I still feel like I have a massive rock inside my boob…

• Heart
Blocked milk duct hell… I’m seeing conflicting advice online about the best way to treat.

Some say: feeding/pumping, warm compress, and massage

But others say: let it rest, ibuprofen, ice, NO massage. So basically the polar opposite.

Help please! I feel like death and I’m trying to stop it turning in to mastitis. I’ve tried changing baby’s feeding position, and lots of water… but so far I still feel like I have a massive rock inside my boob…
The advice changed about a year ago. Cold instead of hot. Don’t massage. Keep feeding. Get antibiotics asap!

Check out Lucy Webber and Olivia hinge on instagram as they have a wealth of information on mastitis management xx

Reactions: 3