New baby and post birth advice #58 Where have all the dummies gone?!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh my goodness. Why does noone warn you about the emotional attachment you'll have to a car seat?!

I've just upgraded ours to the next size, mainly because she's just too heavy in the carry seat now for us so we leave it in the car anyways. And now I have a ridiculous emotional attachment to it & don't want to get rid of it 😭

• Heart
Reactions: 2
On one hand I'd stay at home and never leave my little girl. On the other it gives me time to spend with like minded folk who also have the NHS warped sense of humor, which has helped me with my mental health.
Saying that though I dropped hours and made sure to space out my annual leave well
Same, I've been back for a week now and it has definitely made me feel more secure and comfortable. Really nice to share some NHS humour and get back to feeling useful.

I was super worried about returning as I've had to change teams because I've dropped some hours but this team is lovely and I've landed with a mother hen style manager who's really keen to progress everyone's careers as they want to so I'll get management experience as well as much more in depth clinical experience which will be great for my future career.

I can totally see why people are reluctant to go back though.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
So I've been assuming baby Kaye is teething for a while now, but only ever checked the bottom gum. I've just ran my finger over her top gum and there's two hard bumps where her front teeth would be. I can't get a good look but is it safe to assume this is teething? Are baby gums usually bumpy at the top?

Just wondering if anyone experienced the same after 1 year jabs.

Little one had them on Thursday. Today she's hot to touch, but no temperature, she's irritable, crying more than normal & just wants to cuddle up & off her food.
Wondering if it's jabs or if I need to be worrying more than I am & get her seen?

Just wondering if anyone experienced the same after 1 year jabs.

Little one had them on Thursday. Today she's hot to touch, but no temperature, she's irritable, crying more than normal & just wants to cuddle up & off her food.
Wondering if it's jabs or if I need to be worrying more than I am & get her seen?
Baby Biscuit was similar after hers. The nurse said she majority of babies have little to no reaction to the 1 year jabs, but we had a couple of days of being hot and clingy. We just kept up with the Calpol until she perked up.

I'd just keep an eye on her, but you can always ring 111 for advice if you think it's something else.

@Nosysamsie our first year jabs were a complete tit show. She screamed hourly for two weeks. We ended up at the GP and recording a yellow reaction thing. It was horrendous.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
starting to think baby frog does have CMPA as a lady on here suggested!

very frequent, watery poos that smell like vinegar, he has such dry red cheeks too that no amount of coconut oil helps, and he just seems a bit uncomfortable poor thing, always arching his back and moaning during a feed 😭

do i just speak to my HV or straight to GP? my HV is nice but she’s a bit useless 😂

• Sad
Reactions: 3
starting to think baby frog does have CMPA as a lady on here suggested!

very frequent, watery poos that smell like vinegar, he has such dry red cheeks too that no amount of coconut oil helps, and he just seems a bit uncomfortable poor thing, always arching his back and moaning during a feed 😭

do i just speak to my HV or straight to GP? my HV is nice but she’s a bit useless 😂
I’d go straight to GP but armed with the knowledge - most (no offence to any GPs, all the ones I’ve met have told me this) don’t have any / minimal training on allergies.
is baby frog breastfed or formula? If breast they cut dairy yourself for 2 weeks and see if any changes then go to the dr mainly for a diagnosis to be written down, if formula ask for a hydrolysed formula to try (usually Aptamil Pepti), then see how they go over 2-6 weeks, if minimal improvement or some but not everything is clearing ask for an amino acid formula to try.
Good luck 🤞🏼

• Heart
I’d go straight to GP but armed with the knowledge - most (no offence to any GPs, all the ones I’ve met have told me this) don’t have any / minimal training on allergies.
is baby frog breastfed or formula? If breast they cut dairy yourself for 2 weeks and see if any changes then go to the dr mainly for a diagnosis to be written down, if formula ask for a hydrolysed formula to try (usually Aptamil Pepti), then see how they go over 2-6 weeks, if minimal improvement or some but not everything is clearing ask for an amino acid formula to try.
Good luck 🤞🏼
thank you for this! he’s formula fed (wouldn’t latch for BF🙃) so i’ll definitely ask for aptamil pepti thank you! already dreading attempting getting a doctors appointment monday morning!

• Heart
thank you for this! he’s formula fed (wouldn’t latch for BF🙃) so i’ll definitely ask for aptamil pepti thank you! already dreading attempting getting a doctors appointment monday morning!
See how you get on with the GP appointment - nothing stopping you taking him off cows milk now and giving him SMA soya in the mean time to see how he responds to it : https://groceries.asda.com/product/...oya-1-infant-formula-from-birth/1000131239650

(I did this with mine and was able to tell the doctor there’d be an immediate change so it kind of helped move her along in her thinking around CMPA) take some photos of the current loose poos as it’s good to show the doctor what you’re contending with xx

• Heart
Weaning questions ahead:

Can anyone recommend a good straw cup for a 6 month old and plate/bowl with good suction? We'll be starting soon so just getting everything ready. Any tips/advice also welcome. Thank you 😁

Weaning questions ahead:

Can anyone recommend a good straw cup for a 6 month old and plate/bowl with good suction? We'll be starting soon so just getting everything ready. Any tips/advice also welcome. Thank you 😁
I ordered this from Amazon it came today! Can’t say how good the cup is but the suction is good on the bowl and plate!

Attachments

• Heart
I ordered this from Amazon it came today! Can’t say how good the cup is but the suction is good on the bowl and plate!
We have that set at the in laws and it’s great. The only downside is the cover on the cup. The spout is VERY flexible so they can stick their finger in over and over again and it turns inside out….. and then they cry when you take it away to fix it so they can drink the water… so you give it back and then they turn it inside out again….
I’d suggest a tum tum cup. Boots normally have a good selection of weighted straw cups. I’d have a look and see which one you like.

One thing after a bloody other.
HFMD last week, jabs Thursday and the grogginess she had from that, and now she looks like she's got the chicken pox nursery thought she had last week 😫
I swear this life wants me to be a stressed anxious mess 😭

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Weaning questions ahead:

Baby L loves his tum tum straw cup, the straw is flexible and weighted so not much spills when he tilts it but he can drink from almost any angle. Also has a cute bear for the lid! 😂

• Heart
Ugh I hate that! Hope it isn’t too hard tomorrow 🙏 It can be such a slog but hopefully if you go in asking for a milk they’ll give it given his signs. Also you can buy it over the counter at pharmacies - so if they refuse it might be worth going that (they do cost more but just a few days worth then go back to the GP and say it’s helping- they can’t refuse).
If it does turn out to be cmpa allergy uk website has been really useful and ‘thedairyfreemum’ if you’re on instagram

Reactions: 1
What do people think about the Chickenpox vaccine? A few people in my NCT group have gone for it and looking at the research it looks like it's not offered in the UK because it's not cost effective for the NHS. However if it saves him a week - 10 days off of nursery and suffering with it, it seems worth paying for?

Reactions: 1
What do people think about the Chickenpox vaccine? A few people in my NCT group have gone for it and looking at the research it looks like it's not offered in the UK because it's not cost effective for the NHS. However if it saves him a week - 10 days off of nursery and suffering with it, it seems worth paying for?
I’m going to get it when Baby Lava is old enough. The vaccine will also stop him getting shingles when older as you can only have that if you’ve had chickenpox. My Mum was seriously ill and hospitalised multiple times from shingles so I don’t want him going through that.

• Heart
Reactions: 4