New baby and post birth advice #56

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Actually, if you read my post you'll see that I was able to hold my baby once every few hours for an entire week as he was in the jaundice light chamber for so long. If someone had said "we'll do his next two feeds, don't worry" rather than "Yes, you do need to keep staying awake 24 hours a day to attend to his needs even though you've been awake for 4 days already and 2 of those days were in labour resulting in surgery" I could have gotten a decent chain of sleep, that's all. I really struggle if I don't get enough sleep and for me I would always prioritise sleep, I'd rather not eat, leave the house, do anything else than be sleep deprived. There's a reason the military use sleep deprivation as a torture technique!

FWIW, there's a birth centre in my local area which does actually provide overnight support for new parents who are struggling or need a rest which you can be referred into. They also allow people to come and stay for 24 - 48 hours in the first 3 or 4 weeks to provide breast feeding support and also help with general care for the baby, so if you're completely clueless and struggling like I was then it's a space where you can go and learn how to do the basics. It is much more common in a lot of other countries to provide new parents with a lot more support than we do - and indeed when my mum had me and my sister in the UK in the late 80s and early 90s the babies were taken away over night to a nursery to allow new mums to sleep and heal! For me I'm certain having that routine made my postnatal depression worse and really set us up on the wrong foot. It's not for everyone, that's true but for me it would have been a god send. I couldn't access the birth centre local to us for a few reasons but wish I had pushed for it. I guess I see it as yet another reduction of NHS services... maternity services are so dire atm and my local one has recently been the centre of a Panorama investigation... [For context I work in the NHS too]

It is certainly different for all parents and I'll be first to admit that I also struggled to bond with my baby, needing support from the infant bonding team etc. but I don't think having a healthy baby and having him with me 24/7 at all times would have helped with that. I'm the first to admit that I've never been one of these mums who lives, breathes, sleeps their baby 😶 but that's my own personal situation to manage. I love him with all my heart but it is hard being a parent whatever your circumstances which we can all agree on and perhaps a nicer start might have made things a bit easier for us.

I'm sorry if I offended you or anyone else but that's my personal opinion and you're welcome to disagree all you like. I don't want anyone to read this thread and think their opinions aren't welcome because it is a hugely useful support network for new parents.

Anyway.

My boss has emailed me regarding my return to work and given me a date two weeks earlier than the one I came up with when working out my annual leave. I've also been asked to do a flexible working request and reminded that "they may not be able to accommodate it" which seems ridiculous when 1) they don't have any bloody staff and 2) I'm dropping one day in a service that is covered 7 days a week on a rolling rota anyway. Fed up of it all being so difficult.
I’m the same with sleep. MM’s naps have been absolutely tit (I include the 2.5 hour nap with waking up at 6:30pm in that) and as she’s in her own room, I’m not putting her in the bed with me. Last night she was awake 11-1am, I ended up actually leaving her whilst she was crying (she stopped after ten mins and chattered for a further 45 mins before falling asleep 🥴). Night before when she had her late nap she woke up at 12, 2, 4, and 7. No joke she’s not woken up that much since she was one month old. I’m just a nightmare when I can’t sleep, at least I got 1-9am last night.
So sorry about work. have you found any more jobs to apply for?

Reactions: 3
im dadadada because baby wotsit refuses to say mama
Same 🤣 or he’ll say ‘mum mum mum’ when he’s sad - but only when he’s sad. He’ll grin at me when I say ‘say mama’ and go ‘dada’

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
I’m the same with sleep. MM’s naps have been absolutely tit (I include the 2.5 hour nap with waking up at 6:30pm in that) and as she’s in her own room, I’m not putting her in the bed with me. Last night she was awake 11-1am, I ended up actually leaving her whilst she was crying (she stopped after ten mins and chattered for a further 45 mins before falling asleep 🥴). Night before when she had her late nap she woke up at 12, 2, 4, and 7. No joke she’s not woken up that much since she was one month old. I’m just a nightmare when I can’t sleep, at least I got 1-9am last night.
10,12,2,4 and then 6 wake up is TF’s pattern…. Every night like clockwork.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
I'm so mad at myself.
I've spent 9.5 months worrying baby isn't doing things (crawling, pulling self up, getting self into sitting position) and yet today I've sat and watched her play, laugh, smile, crawl, pull herself up and cruise furniture and I've been so proud, but so angry I let my worry get in the way.
And the only reason I worried about it was because bloody in laws and parents saying "are they doing this yet" or "why aren't they doing that".

To lighten the mood- what’s your mum name? I’m mama or mummy, purely mama because I’ve been mama to the dogs for 7 years and it suits me lol.
I'm mamma or yaya depending on her mood 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Christ I wish there was a way of having a WhatsApp group with us all 🥲 baby baby Ro up 1-4am shouting dada and slapping my face with his muslin. Then up for the day at 6.40 🥴 I may have felt better about it knowing you were up just before that too. It feels so lonely at night like the newborn stage again except I’m not being paid mat leave anymore and my baby needs darkness to sleep so can’t use my phone to online shop 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I’m usually here between 1-3 so always around for a chat. Shame there isn’t a proper chat function on here

• Heart
There’s a few threads set up in general chatter I think for offshoot threads where posters can just chat and doesn’t have to be on topic - I know the Jack whatsherface has one called food and drink and the hinch thread has one called something else. I assume the baby thread could have a non baby chat thread? But I am not sure!

There’s a few threads set up in general chatter I think for offshoot threads where posters can just chat and doesn’t have to be on topic - I know the Jack whatsherface has one called food and drink and the hinch thread has one called something else. I assume the baby thread could have a non baby chat thread? But I am not sure!
That’s a great idea! @Ro98 I was in a lot of despair then 😂

Reactions: 2
Baby bandit had (still has 🥴) issues with trapped wind and painful tummy - tummy time, massaging and dentinox all helped a bit, but being prescribed a laxative helped more. They're hesitant to prescribe under 3 months as we essentially got told "it's colic, deal with it, it'll pass" but when he was screaming in pain one night the 111 doctor prescribed lactulose and then at 5 months we changed to movicol/cosmocol as lactulose was no longer effective. The doctor also suggested small amounts of cooled boiled water between bottles to help get things moving but I think you have to get a doctor's permission under 6 months? Might be worth ringing your surgery to ask for an appointment/telephone call to discuss options?
---

I'm so glad the appointment went well and you've been listened to and got advice/a planned follow up ❤
Amazing that you were prescribed movicol, we were told that wasn’t an option!!!!! Our drs are amazing but they generally all lack baby training I think xxx

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Amazing that you were prescribed movicol, we were told that wasn’t an option!!!!! Our drs are amazing but they generally all lack baby training I think xxx
We only got it because someone on here mentioned it so I asked and doctor sounded surprised and said "oh...yes, I guess it's worth a try". It's meant for one year plus though (and cosmocol is two years plus) so I'm guessing there must be some NICE guidelines about giving to younger babies if necessary that some doctors aren't aware of? I'm so sorry you weren't offered it ❤

Typical she’s so far sleeping through and I’m wide awake in the playroom with a hot chocolate 🫠

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I’m shocked at the lack of help/care there seems to be in the UK. In the NL you get help at home for the first 8 days for a minimum of 3 hrs each day. They’ll teach you how to care for baby and do some household chores or cooking. If there are other children they help take care of them too. Also do check ups on mum.

I gave birth in the hospital (because of PÉ) so our at home help was ‘only’ 6 days. In the hospital there was help itch every feed, even in the night. They would wake us and help with everything.
If you give birth in the hospital l without medical indication, the at home nurse will be present and go with you when you leave to set you up. If it’s past 8pm they don’t come with you but you’ll get clear instructions and the next morning they’re at you’re home by 8:30am.

does something like this exist in the UK?
---
Just curious : what do you see of yourself or your partner in your baby?

The way baby Darth yawns and uses his eyebrows is exactly the same as his dad. But he has my mouth and face shape.

Last edited:
  • Heart
I’m shocked at the lack of help/care there seems to be in the UK. In the NL you get help at home for the first 8 days for a minimum of 3 hrs each day. They’ll teach you how to care for baby and do some household chores or cooking. If there are other children they help take care of them too. Also do check ups on mum.

I gave birth in the hospital (because of PÉ) so our at home help was ‘only’ 6 days. In the hospital there was help itch every feed, even in the night. They would wake us and help with everything.
If you give birth in the hospital l without medical indication, the at home nurse will be present and go with you when you leave to set you up. If it’s past 8pm they don’t come with you but you’ll get clear instructions and the next morning they’re at you’re home by 8:30am.

does something like this exist in the UK?
---

The way baby Darth yawns and uses his eyebrows is exactly the same as his dad. But he has my mouth and face shape.
My friend in Belgium described similar help she got when she gave birth, you could probably hire someone to do that but as far as I know, if we have health issues we stay in hospital and once we’re “ok” we go home. We have someone called a Health Visitor who comes about 10 days after birth then 6 weeks, 9 months and not sure after that. The 10 day visit is a mum and baby check, then subsequent checks are for baby’s development and I think we flag concerns if we’re worried about ourselves, but there’s no actual help.

At first she was the spitting image of me as a baby, identical. Ten months on she looks like my husband did when he was a child, same shape face, big round eyes and her skin is slightly darker than it was so at least she doesn’t have my pasty English skin 😂 although randomly my dad said he thought she looked like my maternal grandfather the other day 🤷‍♀️ (I did not see it at all).

• Heart
---

My colouring is Italian and his dad is scandi. When Wood was born he looked exactly like his dad; fair with blue eyes and pale skin, but as he’s getting older, my traits are starting to to slowly come through. His hair is falling out and becoming darker and he’s got my philtrum emerging, and his skin appears more olive. When he’s grumpy he looks exactly like my FIL 😆. He’s only 9 weeks, so it’ll likely all change again.
---
Just before bed we had one mega poonami that came out the back and front. We’re all a little scarred by it 😬

• Heart
Baby fudge looks like both of us at the same time it’s strange 😆 I get people saying he looks just like me then some saying how much he looks like his dad! When he was born he looked exactly like me as a baby

• Heart
Do you know what winds me up, is the people on peanut that post ‘my baby slept through the night last night should I be worried’ like no enjoy the sleep I wish mine would sleep through!! 😆

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
Do you know what winds me up, is the people on peanut that post ‘my baby slept through the night last night should I be worried’ like no enjoy the sleep I wish mine would sleep through!! 😆
Haha, I remember worrying when baby L and I slept more than a few hours overnight for the first time because it wasn't normal! Is he ok, did I sleep through him crying, god he must be hungry! The fun thing for me about being a first time parent is that you can overthink literally everything 😅

• Heart
  • Haha
I remember the first time mine slept through. I woke up and cried. 1. Because I was so relieved I had finally had a full night's sleep & 2. Because I thought I'd ignored her needs all night & she would hate me.
The joys of being a first time mum 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
Oh my god I'm definitely guilty of that 😂 it can be concerning though especially when they're young or it's unusual 😱

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.