New baby and post birth advice #49 IT WAS JUST A NORMAL SIZE SH*T

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone struggle getting back to sleep after their first wake up in the night? I have been awake since 3am most mornings the past week 😭😭
This is me when we have a 3am wake up. I tend to do something relaxing to try get myself to sleep or at least rested. I avoid any screens & read instead, mainly because the more I lay there and wait for sleep, the more awake I become. I try & stay in a dimly lit room throughout the feed too, to keep myself and little one in a "night time" mode.

Reactions: 2
I feel like a travel cot expert now after all my research last week 😅 we didn't have much budget so went for a basic one that had great reviews - we got this:

It's definitely the shiny, rustly material 😂 but I'm thinking of getting a waterproof mattress protector, which may also dampen the noise a bit! The base/mattress that come with travel cots are all thin with a hard bit underneath - it's to ensure there's a flat, sturdy surface to make the cot safe.

Babies don't need much padding and are safer on thinner, firmer mattresses (just like in a bassinet etc) - there are lots of thicker mattresses on sale but they're not safe because they can't replace the firm base for structural reasons, and can't go on top because they become an entrapment/suffocation risk. Babies don't need the same level of comfort as us 🙂

There are lots of different price points for travel cots but I'm guessing they're mostly likely to have a thin, shiny mattress because of safety, easier to clean and easier to transport.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk 🤣
The one my parents have doesn't really have any kind of padding, that's the problem. Honestly, if you smacked your head on it you'd think you hit a wall. I don't really understand why he can sleep on a proper cot mattress like this at home but away when he's in an unfamiliar environment he's meant to be happy and settled sleeping on essentially a piece of MDF with some 80s looking fabric over the top :LOL: I know he doesn't need luxury but he definitely doesn't sleep as well and wakes up two or more times a night in it, whereas at home he rarely wakes up before 5:30am now.

Reactions: 1
The one my parents have doesn't really have any kind of padding, that's the problem. Honestly, if you smacked your head on it you'd think you hit a wall. I don't really understand why he can sleep on a proper cot mattress like this at home but away when he's in an unfamiliar environment he's meant to be happy and settled sleeping on essentially a piece of MDF with some 80s looking fabric over the top :LOL: I know he doesn't need luxury but he definitely doesn't sleep as well and wakes up two or more times a night in it, whereas at home he rarely wakes up before 5:30am now.
Oh ok, sorry - I thought you were talking about the very thin layer of padding over the baseboard! In that case, definitely buy a new one!!

I think the thin padding in travel cots is to help them be moved more easily (in mine the base wraps around the frame in the travel bag), but I think it's also because of how the frame is - if it was a frame like a proper cot you could get a deeper mattress that fits into the recess and therefore is safe, but because travel cots are so flimsy you need something thin that baby can't get their hands/head stuck under if they go exploring in the night.

Like I said, there's loads of different price points and some travel cots are by much higher-end brands so you might find those are more comfortable 🙂

Does anyone struggle getting back to sleep after their first wake up in the night? I have been awake since 3am most mornings the past week 😭😭
Have you tried an eye mask? I could easily lay there for hours struggling to get back to sleep in the early hours but it’s like a massive off switch and I find it so much easier to get back to sleep now.

Oh ok, sorry - I thought you were talking about the very thin layer of padding over the baseboard! In that case, definitely buy a new one!!

I think the thin padding in travel cots is to help them be moved more easily (in mine the base wraps around the frame in the travel bag), but I think it's also because of how the frame is - if it was a frame like a proper cot you could get a deeper mattress that fits into the recess and therefore is safe, but because travel cots are so flimsy you need something thin that baby can't get their hands/head stuck under if they go exploring in the night.

Like I said, there's loads of different price points and some travel cots are by much higher-end brands so you might find those are more comfortable 🙂
TBH I wasn't explaining it very well :D Yeah, I get what you're saying. It does feel a little like one of those arbitrary things I guess, just like how my pram was sold with the warning that "baby can't sleep in the bassinet for more than 2 nights in a row!" (but he could sleep in it for 2 nights, then sleep in his next to me then sleep in it again for another 2 nights...).

This seems to be the only one I've found that has a decent mattress on but I'm not sure if we'd need one that's raised. Bloody minefield XD

TBH I wasn't explaining it very well :D Yeah, I get what you're saying. It does feel a little like one of those arbitrary things I guess, just like how my pram was sold with the warning that "baby can't sleep in the bassinet for more than 2 nights in a row!" (but he could sleep in it for 2 nights, then sleep in his next to me then sleep in it again for another 2 nights...).

This seems to be the only one I've found that has a decent mattress on but I'm not sure if we'd need one that's raised. Bloody minefield XD
It's a nightmare - you may have seen my descent into madness last week as I tried to work out what the duck is going on with travel cots 🤣 I was tempted by a raised one but can't remember why I decided against it, it might have been the one I saw was an awkward size for getting sheets? It's all far too complicated! Good luck finding one that works for you 😊

• Haha
It's a nightmare - you may have seen my descent into madness last week as I tried to work out what the duck is going on with travel cots 🤣 I was tempted by a raised one but can't remember why I decided against it, it might have been the one I saw was an awkward size for getting sheets? It's all far too complicated! Good luck finding one that works for you 😊
Which one did you go for in the end? X

I've now found the Graco Foldlite and think that might be a winner (and it's half the price of the other one, ha!) but I can't figure out how big it is inside. Don't want to buy one and then he only uses it for 5 months :cautious: It's spinning my head!

We need to find a travel cot for our upcoming holiday and really want one that isn't... quite frankly... awful XD We've been at my parents this weekend and the cot they have is horrible, it's that disgusting shiny polyester fabric that squeaks when you move on it and the mattress is basically a bit of cardboard, not even any foam to cushion it. Both my parents and my sister are insisting that this is just how travel cots are and that I wouldn't get anything with a 'normal' cot mattress but I can't believe that? Ideally we'd like one that doubles up as a playpen too for short periods of time if possible.
We have the micralite one and love it! Also doubles up as a playpen as you can unzip one side of it - lasts up to 3yrs too and comes with an insert for up to 6 months

This one: https://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb...te-travel-cot-in-dark-grey-and-black/p/170112

It was cheap and had great reviews so I thought we'd give it a whirl! So far, so good - baby settles in it just as well as he did in his bassinet, although we're yet to try it for overnight trips - first go will be when we visit my in-laws next week!
Looks good! I actually love Smyths, they have some great deals and options. not sure if we need a travel cot yet but good to know what’s got good reviews.

Still can’t believe I sold everything before TF showed up believing we were one and done 🤪

• Haha
Looks good! I actually love Smyths, they have some great deals and options. not sure if we need a travel cot yet but good to know what’s got good reviews.

Still can’t believe I sold everything before TF showed up believing we were one and done 🤪
3rd baby here and I’ve given everything away the last two times 🫣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 3

Haha I think that's a common issue to have! You can console yourself with the thought that so many baby things have expiration dates or you're recommended to get new for each child anyway!

Yeah, I'd never been to Smyths before and then someone recommended it for looking at travel systems - the baby section is great! I've ended up ordering a few bits online from them as well because they usually have good prices and offers! I'm a convert! 😂

Takes me a few hours, so she probs falls back to sleep within 30 mins but if she wakes at 2am you bet I’ll see 4am 🙃 although at least now I’m not pregnant when that happens 😂

I've now found the Graco Foldlite and think that might be a winner (and it's half the price of the other one, ha!) but I can't figure out how big it is inside. Don't want to buy one and then he only uses it for 5 months :cautious: It's spinning my head!
According to Argos: "The Fold Lite Travel Cot mattress measures length 90cm x width 56cm x depth 3cm approximately." Weight-wise it's suitable up to 15kg 🙂

3rd baby here and I’ve given everything away the last two times 🫣
This makes me feel so much better because between us and my parents’ house we have a ridiculous amount of Moses baskets, tbf I got them for free off fb marketplace so getting rid wouldn’t matter really and they take so much space but I’m a what if person 🤔 but also I’m tempted to Chuck them. I actually went proper planning crazy and the month before we conceived mini muffin picked up a Moses basket and two huge bags of girl baby clothes for free. I was then convinced we would have a boy because that’s normally how my luck goes 😂

On the travel cot front… I have no idea how safe it is. But, all my friends that stay at mine use a travel cot and their cot mattress. X

We got this one from Aldi when they had it as a special buy. It’s so quick to put up but I will say I don’t think it seems as big as your “usual” travel cot. We have a tall baby so I don’t think we’ll be using it to the upper age range but it’s working for us on trips overnight for now (currently 7months)

Feel like I only ever come on here to moan so a positive post for once 😂. Baby Tifa has always been a babbler but he’s really found his voice this week he’s so animated and giggly and I just melt every time. We’re finally coming out the other side of that ridiculously long fussy period on wonder weeks. Still no bloody tooth though, just enough drool to fill a bath 🤣
---
We got the cuggl travel cot (the one with bassinet) and I rate it tbh! He’s slept in it no bother, it’s easy to put up and you can take the bassinet away when they’re bigger :)

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.