New baby and post birth advice #49 IT WAS JUST A NORMAL SIZE SH*T

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Did anyone else’s baby become really fussy around 14 weeks?
---
Every. Single. Nap. Is. A. Battle. 😭😭😭😭
I feel you. We use a Moses basket to rock her to sleep but she’s outgrowing it fast i don’t know what to do to get her to sleep!

I do note his feeds... he had 30ml 2 hours ago then started playing with teat... offered again and got worked up sp stopped. Previously he would take 120-180ml bottles happily. Wondering if this is teething & constipation putting him off then iv tried to get him to have what he previusly would now hes associating it with negative.
Iv been using granules as hes showing signs of teething & white showing through gums.
Gonna wait abit then try again.

And to say i massively appriciate the help...like massively
This is exactly us and it’s so hard especially when there’s already worry over his feeding from previous experiences.
My son would also have 120-180 happily and went down to 20-50 per feed for a few days.

When he did this I’d stop - as you did - get him in the buggy and go for a long walk (1-1.5hrs) then get home, play, wait for him to cry for milk (usually would take 3-4hrs) then feed him.
I used to hate waiting for him to cry but I didn’t want to jump the gun thinking “he’s only had 2oz he must be starving! Drink!”. Also being out the house took my mind off it.

Friday he only had 6oz from 11pm-1pm the following day, but he was happy, content, not dehydrated and the next day he took more.

I know it’s so hard but keep at it, push his next feed back to 3hrs since the last unless he’s upset from hunger (You don’t have to do this but it worked for us as he then didn’t feel pressured to drink), if he was showing he was hungry before 3hrs I’d feed him.
I find if I give him a cold teething toy and he really chomps it’s his teeth, if he throws it away he’s hungry. So I’d try that too if you haven’t already.
I also stopped keeping on offering him the bottle as I found it really wound him up and just means at his feeds now he’s really hungry (yesterday was 4 1/2hrs between feeds) & ready for it so he doesn’t mess around.
Is he still constipated do you think?
I have also given nurofen on bad drinking days and that has helped, I find calpol didn’t really touch his teething pain.
You’re doing all you possible can so keep at it he’ll pick up drinking soon 🙏
As long as he’s weeing as normal try not to worry too much.
My doctor told me the other day the threshold for dehydration is so so low (not sure if that’s a worry of yours but it was for me) and as long as his intake doesn’t drop to 50% of his ‘normal’ it’s ok.
For baby Ro his intake is around 850ml on average so that meant he could afford to drop to 425 which he never did but he did drop to 515 a few of the days!

The week of 2 hour naps was clearly an anomaly. Unless it’s a contact nap I could once again set my clock by her, 40 mins on the dot. Nothing works, I’ve tried resettling, picking up and rocking back, she wakes up as soon as I put her down. I get naff all done again except when she goes down at night and I’m knackered by that point.

Reactions: 1
This is exactly us and it’s so hard especially when there’s already worry over his feeding from previous experiences.
My son would also have 120-180 happily and went down to 20-50 per feed for a few days.

When he did this I’d stop - as you did - get him in the buggy and go for a long walk (1-1.5hrs) then get home, play, wait for him to cry for milk (usually would take 3-4hrs) then feed him.
I used to hate waiting for him to cry but I didn’t want to jump the gun thinking “he’s only had 2oz he must be starving! Drink!”. Also being out the house took my mind off it.

Friday he only had 6oz from 11pm-1pm the following day, but he was happy, content, not dehydrated and the next day he took more.

I know it’s so hard but keep at it, push his next feed back to 3hrs since the last unless he’s upset from hunger (You don’t have to do this but it worked for us as he then didn’t feel pressured to drink), if he was showing he was hungry before 3hrs I’d feed him.
I find if I give him a cold teething toy and he really chomps it’s his teeth, if he throws it away he’s hungry. So I’d try that too if you haven’t already.
I also stopped keeping on offering him the bottle as I found it really wound him up and just means at his feeds now he’s really hungry (yesterday was 4 1/2hrs between feeds) & ready for it so he doesn’t mess around.
Is he still constipated do you think?
I have also given nurofen on bad drinking days and that has helped, I find calpol didn’t really touch his teething pain.
You’re doing all you possible can so keep at it he’ll pick up drinking soon 🙏
As long as he’s weeing as normal try not to worry too much.
My doctor told me the other day the threshold for dehydration is so so low (not sure if that’s a worry of yours but it was for me) and as long as his intake doesn’t drop to 50% of his ‘normal’ it’s ok.
For baby Ro his intake is around 850ml on average so that meant he could afford to drop to 425 which he never did but he did drop to 515 a few of the days!
I think hes still got something going on with his tummy... he will only poo when i give him alittle water... farts are toxic... and straining alot. It does seem to have started since tummy issues started to

• Sad
The week of 2 hour naps was clearly an anomaly. Unless it’s a contact nap I could once again set my clock by her, 40 mins on the dot. Nothing works, I’ve tried resettling, picking up and rocking back, she wakes up as soon as I put her down. I get naff all done again except when she goes down at night and I’m knackered by that point.
I could have written this myself! Yet, she stays asleep in her next to me if someone is there, even if they're having a nap 🤦‍♀️. I've sent the hubby upstairs to have a nap with the little one just so she gets a decent nap in & I can get some things done.

• Heart
I could have written this myself! Yet, she stays asleep in her next to me if someone is there, even if they're having a nap 🤦‍♀️. I've sent the hubby upstairs to have a nap with the little one just so she gets a decent nap in & I can get some things done.
These kids 🤦‍♀️ she’s got the hang of nighttime sleeping in the next to me but same! She ends up having like 5 40 mins naps a day and we’re meant to be going in the opposite direction.

I think hes still got something going on with his tummy... he will only poo when i give him alittle water... farts are toxic... and straining alot. It does seem to have started since tummy issues started to
If reflux isn't an issue then you can add a little extra water to formula powder to make it a bit thinner, which helps their tummies - I was advised to do this by the GP due to baby bandit's trapped wind/colic because he wouldn't take water separately. I'm not sure how much dilution is recommended but I only add about 10ml extra when making the bottle so he doesn't risk sicking it all back up again! Also, if baby isn't taking bottles and gets agitated you've got an hour to play with before you have to dispose of the milk so we definitely find moving around with him, changing him, massaging his tummy and doing bicycle legs etc helps and then we try again, sometimes he even has a little snooze on us and then continues. Sometimes he then still has barely any so we just discard the rest, soothe him with cuddles/bouncer etc and then try again later when he next seems hungry. It's so frustrating because it's not an exact science and babies can't tell us exactly what they want! But you're doing great, so keep trying and try not to worry 🙂

Edit - oh and sometimes when he's really frustrated with tummy/teething, taking him outside so he feels the fresh air and feeding him standing up helps him calm down and take it - it's murder on the arms though 😂

So baby Nellie has latched to the boob and stay latched and is feeding nicely! Latch isn’t perfect so needs fixing but tbh I’m just happy she’s on the boob and staying on. Wasn’t prepared for her burping with my boob in her mouth though 🤢

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 4
TF has stopped feeding to sleep and I am not here for it ffs; now I actually have to do stuff to help her sleep 😭😭😭😭😭 I’m too lazy for this sh*t 😭😭😭😭😭
---
Also, she has started trying to communicate what she wants differently and has started to turn to people when she’s unhappy and make a “can I speak to the manager” kind of cry which, bless her, just sounds like HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAA 🤣 feel so sorry for her she’s really got her little signals all mixed up 🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 8
TF has stopped feeding to sleep and I am not here for it ffs; now I actually have to do stuff to help her sleep 😭😭😭😭😭 I’m too lazy for this sh*t 😭😭😭😭😭
---
Also, she has started trying to communicate what she wants differently and has started to turn to people when she’s unhappy and make a “can I speak to the manager” kind of cry which, bless her, just sounds like HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAA 🤣 feel so sorry for her she’s really got her little signals all mixed up 🤣
The last bit made me laugh.

Slightly different because we’re actively avoiding feeding to sleep, especially at bedtime. But in solidarity it’s hard 😅

Does anyone struggle getting back to sleep after their first wake up in the night? I have been awake since 3am most mornings the past week 😭😭

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 7
Hey lovelies! Hope all is okay. Does anyone know what this is under baby loves eye? It’s only come up this evening? Ignore the curry on his face 😂
---
Hey lovelies! Hope all is okay. Does anyone know what this is under baby loves eye? It’s only come up this evening? Ignore the curry on his face 😂
Oh and I don’t mean the scratch! That’s all him 😂

Attachments

---

I'm not sure what I'm looking at :oops: which bit do you mean?

---

The redness on the lower bit of his eye?
Doesn't look anything too concerning, could be he's tired, from the curry or just a small blocked tear duct.
If you're worried you can have a pharmacist take a look and they'd advise if they thought it needs a GP to peep at it.

The last bit made me laugh.

Slightly different because we’re actively avoiding feeding to sleep, especially at bedtime. But in solidarity it’s hard 😅
I acknowledged to my husband it’s really good she can be settled in different ways but the boob in the mouth and a cuddle is just so delightfully easy I can’t believe she won’t entertain it! Bugger.

• Haha
Reactions: 2
We need to find a travel cot for our upcoming holiday and really want one that isn't... quite frankly... awful XD We've been at my parents this weekend and the cot they have is horrible, it's that disgusting shiny polyester fabric that squeaks when you move on it and the mattress is basically a bit of cardboard, not even any foam to cushion it. Both my parents and my sister are insisting that this is just how travel cots are and that I wouldn't get anything with a 'normal' cot mattress but I can't believe that? Ideally we'd like one that doubles up as a playpen too for short periods of time if possible.

Does anyone struggle getting back to sleep after their first wake up in the night? I have been awake since 3am most mornings the past week 😭😭
Similar to you, but I often stay awake until first wake up - it’s not very conducive to restful sleep xx

We need to find a travel cot for our upcoming holiday and really want one that isn't... quite frankly... awful XD We've been at my parents this weekend and the cot they have is horrible, it's that disgusting shiny polyester fabric that squeaks when you move on it and the mattress is basically a bit of cardboard, not even any foam to cushion it. Both my parents and my sister are insisting that this is just how travel cots are and that I wouldn't get anything with a 'normal' cot mattress but I can't believe that? Ideally we'd like one that doubles up as a playpen too for short periods of time if possible.
You can buy travel cot mattresses. The twins have a travel cot at my Mother's and we bought mattresses for them as the thing it's supplied with isn't the most comfortable looking thing. There are loads on amazon you just need to check measurements

You can buy travel cot mattresses. The twins have a travel cot at my Mother's and we bought mattresses for them as the thing it's supplied with isn't the most comfortable looking thing. There are loads on amazon you just need to check measurements
Yeah, my sister had to end up buying a mattress for her sons this weekend as he refused to sleep in his. I really would prefer one that just has a mattress similar to the SnuzPod or bassinet though as it's less to travel with! The other thing is the one my parents have seems to be really unsturdy, when my LO rolls over in his sleep the mattress is so light and flimsy it pings up on the other side so he's sleeping at the bottom of a hill.

I feel like a travel cot expert now after all my research last week 😅 we didn't have much budget so went for a basic one that had great reviews - we got this:

It's definitely the shiny, rustly material 😂 but I'm thinking of getting a waterproof mattress protector, which may also dampen the noise a bit! The base/mattress that come with travel cots are all thin with a hard bit underneath - it's to ensure there's a flat, sturdy surface to make the cot safe.

Babies don't need much padding and are safer on thinner, firmer mattresses (just like in a bassinet etc) - there are lots of thicker mattresses on sale but they're not safe because they can't replace the firm base for structural reasons, and can't go on top because they become an entrapment/suffocation risk. Babies don't need the same level of comfort as us 🙂

There are lots of different price points for travel cots but I'm guessing they're mostly likely to have a thin, shiny mattress because of safety, easier to clean and easier to transport.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk 🤣

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.