New baby and post birth advice #43 no title needed, no suggestions made

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Baby Tarquin slept for 4.5 hours straight for the first time, so of course after two hours I kept checking her every 15 minutes to make sure she was still breathing *sighs*

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Anyone changed from bf to formula? Baby cheese is 8 days old and I feel like I'm so over bf, my supply has hardly come and I'm having to top up with formula anyway. She's so contented on the bottle and so much less stress for her and me.

Guess the guilt trips from midwives and others sticking their noses in don't go well.

Any experiences though much appreciated ☺

• Heart
Reactions: 5
He’s really keen for us to get into a 3 hour “routine.” I keep saying I want to bottle feed on demand as I would have breast fed on demand if I could. And if it’s been say, 2 hours and 35 mins since her last feed and she starts to get hungry he goes “try and stretch it out a bit, try and get her used to 3 hours.” Obviously I ignore him and feed her whenever she wants at the moment. Same with cuddles. I’m picking her up and cuddling her allllll the time because she’s tiny, was 4 weeks early, she’s my rainbow baby, cos I want to, cos she loves cuddles and he’s all “you don’t need to hold her alll the time, let her try and settle herself.” Again, totally ignoring him.
My 8.5 month old still has milk every 1.5 - 2 hours during the day time, I think she is a grazer 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 2
He’s really keen for us to get into a 3 hour “routine.” I keep saying I want to bottle feed on demand as I would have breast fed on demand if I could. And if it’s been say, 2 hours and 35 mins since her last feed and she starts to get hungry he goes “try and stretch it out a bit, try and get her used to 3 hours.” Obviously I ignore him and feed her whenever she wants at the moment. Same with cuddles. I’m picking her up and cuddling her allllll the time because she’s tiny, was 4 weeks early, she’s my rainbow baby, cos I want to, cos she loves cuddles and he’s all “you don’t need to hold her alll the time, let her try and settle herself.” Again, totally ignoring him.
You’ve probably been told this a million times, but give all the cuddles and enjoy this time and tell KW to piss off. They are so small for such a short time. I don’t know why these KW think it’s ok to tell us mums what they think we are doing wrong when we do 99% of the childcare. If it’s not phasing you as a mum, why is it them?
---
This is my first baby and he has a 12 yo….so he’s a bit ‘i know what I’m doing,’ but she’s very hard work. I’m dying to say “maybe if you cuddled that one a bit more as a baby, we’d have less issues now.” But biting my tongue for the moment.
Ah, but 12yrs is a huge gap and you do forget. God, I can’t remember much of my 13yo being a baby 🤦🏼‍♀️ also, you could probably guarantee he didn’t do the full time parenting, so…

• Heart
Next time this man says he is hungry or thirsty just say “oh wait another half hour. Just stretch it out a bit”.
Also, ask him “why?” A lot. So when he says stretch her to 3 hours ask why does it need to be 3 hours? See if he can give you any real answers.
And when he says you don’t need to do xyz just say “No, but I WANT to”
He needs a boot in the bum.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 12
Anyone changed from bf to formula? Baby cheese is 8 days old and I feel like I'm so over bf, my supply has hardly come and I'm having to top up with formula anyway. She's so contented on the bottle and so much less stress for her and me.

Guess the guilt trips from midwives and others sticking their noses in don't go well.

Any experiences though much appreciated ☺
This was us. I tried, I took tablets to encourage supply, hired a lactation consultant. I actually felt the opposite, people kept saying just give her formula, she cried on my breast, after her tongue tie snip, I was producing 10 ml in 30 mins of pumping. I cried.. LOTS, but I couldn’t do it. She was a different baby on formula and now she’s climbing the fridge and is a little unit bowling about the place lol
When I stopped I never had any pain and my breasts never leaked. It’s like the milk never came in properly 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Heart
The way the HV described it to me, as humans we don’t eat at the same time every day. We’re also never the same level of hungry.
That’s the same for a baby! They might go 2 1/2 hours, they might do 4! They’re growing and they’ll tell you what they need x

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Poor you dealing with him on top of a new baby.
you’re doing it perfectly well without his outdated input

• Heart
Has anyone noticed their skin change since having a baby? I seem to have developed eczema and dry skin in the last few months (I used to be an oily gal)! I’ve read it can happen and it’s something to do with our body reacting to things different but it’s driving me MAD! My entire body is dry and my face is tight and itchy 😩😩

• Heart
Has anyone noticed their skin change since having a baby? I seem to have developed eczema and dry skin in the last few months (I used to be an oily gal)! I’ve read it can happen and it’s something to do with our body reacting to things different but it’s driving me MAD! My entire body is dry and my face is tight and itchy 😩😩
Yes! I am riddled with dry patches of eczema. my eyes, hands, legs, feet, thighs and pubis. Mr Waka said he feels sick listening to me scratch myself 🤣

Next time this man says he is hungry or thirsty just say “oh wait another half hour. Just stretch it out a bit”.
Also, ask him “why?” A lot. So when he says stretch her to 3 hours ask why does it need to be 3 hours? See if he can give you any real answers.
And when he says you don’t need to do xyz just say “No, but I WANT to”
He needs a boot in the bum.
Just say ‘why’ this was a sure fire way for me to get a slap as a kid. ‘But why mum? Why does it do that? Why don’t you know?’ Etc etc never got the root cause of her answers I’d use this too. Annoying for them hilarious for you x

• Haha
Yes! I am riddled with dry patches of eczema. my eyes, hands, legs, feet, thighs and pubis. Mr Waka said he feels sick listening to me scratch myself 🤣
😂😂
Me too! I’m full of bruises because of itching myself so much, I bruise like a peach anyway! Particularly my eyes, been to the doctors and opticians about it but they just keep saying it’s allergies and telling me to buy drops. If this just how it is now 😂😩 I’ve read probiotics can help but no idea where to start with them!?

Just say ‘why’ this was a sure fire way for me to get a slap as a kid. ‘But why mum? Why does it do that? Why don’t you know?’ Etc etc never got the root cause of her answers I’d use this too. Annoying for them hilarious for you x
In fairness it is the most annoying thing 😂

Because of the laws of physics
And
Because I said so

are two of my end answers 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Baby Tarquin slept for 4.5 hours straight for the first time, so of course after two hours I kept checking her every 15 minutes to make sure she was still breathing *sighs*
this is me 😂 and unless I wake up to him crying I dread looking in his cot!

• Heart

Any experiences though much appreciated 
Yep! Bebe was regularly on me for 5+ hours at a time and constantly screaming because she was obviously hungry. With pumping I was only getting max 30ml from over an hour of trying... I cried alot especially because the midwives promote BF so heavily. That said, I was very lucky with a wonderful MCA on the postnatal unit who said that my mental health was just as important as her being fed and encouraged me to switch to formula. She's now 2 months old and thriving, I am a lot happier and actually enjoying being a mum.

Every time I say she's formula fed to a doctor/HV (& some friends) I still get the odd head tilt and 'ohhhh, really, that's a shame (!!!)' But you need to do what is best for you and your baby x

• Heart
Yes 😫😫 my skin is so dry eczema-y. Nothing is making it better! Little under the skin spots too where I usually have clear skin.
I’m blaming hormones for now!

Last edited:
Yeah really dry skin. My hair used to be really curly and that’s changed to waves/straight frizz so that’s fun. Can’t wait for it to start falling out so I can look like I’ve been electrocuted ☺

My skin is dry as a nun's chuff, especially on my scalp. And the hair loss has started this week too, bang on 3 months post birth. I'm going to be a right catch with my scabby bald head 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Celebrating a small win today. Just managed to manoeuvre in and out of a coffee shop with both pram and coffee in hand, finally living the mat leave dream with a coffee and pastry! Except now I need to go straight home as baby L needs a change 😂

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.