New baby and post birth advice #37 The only way to eat porridge is to tip it in the bin

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Feeling horrible, was getting baby ready for bed and sat her on the changing table (she can sit up really well) but somehow fell backwards with a massive force and smacked her head on the changing table. She screamed for a minute. I am so paranoid that she has a head injury, how would i know? Feel so guilty 😓😓😓
Don’t feel guilty these things happen, when mine was 6 months old she fell out the bumbo and bashed her face on hard tile floor, I took her to hospital and they said as long as they scream and don’t vomit then don’t worry. Keep an eye on her for vomiting but otherwise she will be fine xx

What’s the general nursery policy on conjunctivitis? She’s got a lot of goo in her eye, not sure if it’s that or not, but can’t get a copy of the sickness policy.
As long as it’s confirmed by a GP or pharmacist then they’re fine to go in. My nursery have never asked for proof though

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Help or advice needed as I’m literally at breaking point with t2’s sleep. She goes to bed with no issues every evening, has her bottle and falls asleep straight after. She will be asleep for 3-4 hours solid. Then she will wake up screaming like full on inconsolable crying. Obviously as her twin is in the same room I have go in and scoop her up straight away so she doesn’t disturb her too much. She’s not unwell and nothing seems to be hurting her. It’s then taking a good hour to settle her and stop the crying. I try everything, nappy change, rocking chair, calpol, teething stuff, water, tv, eventually a small bottle of milk will stop the crying. Then it’s taking another 1-2 hours before she will fall back asleep, if I put her In the cot she screams and wakes up t1. She crawls around our bed so co sleeping isn’t even working. By the time she eventually falls asleep most nights I’m only getting 3/4 hrs before t1 wakes up for day (after sleeping solidly). So I am exhausted. The last 2 evenings mr dip dab has gotten so frustrated he’s put her in the car and driven up the m25 until she’s asleep.
We can’t keep going on like this. Has anyone been through similar? I’m at a loss

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 11
What’s the general nursery policy on conjunctivitis? She’s got a lot of goo in her eye, not sure if it’s that or not, but can’t get a copy of the sickness policy.
I know it's already been answered but thought this might be helpful. However I know but all nurseries follow this, my niece had to stay off when she had conjunctivitis as that was their policy 🤷
Screenshot_20221129-044620.png

Reactions: 4
I’m here with todays most boring question, what kind of bag do you use for their nursery things? I’ve seen loads of childrens mini backpacks online, but I don’t know if they are big enough to fit in everything they need 🤔 and what do you send with them to nursery? The one we are using provides meals and nappies, so I’m thinking it’s just spare clothes, puddle suit etc.

I’ve decided I need to stop being in denial and get prepared for baby T starting nursery after Christmas 🥺 I’ve just ordered a duck puddlesuit from Vinted for him to take, now I’m going to go and sob.
Yeah I got her a lovely bag and nursery asked me to use an illuminous green drawstring bag instead (yuk). The amount of spare clothes she needs is ridiculous, some days she has 4 changes. The spare clothes alone take up the whole bag. She goes in with her teddy too so that gets shoved in. They have AstroTurf in their garden so luckily I don’t bother with wellies but they said she gets cold so she goes in with about 3/4 layers on

Reactions: 1
Help or advice needed as I’m literally at breaking point with t2’s sleep. She goes to bed with no issues every evening, has her bottle and falls asleep straight after. She will be asleep for 3-4 hours solid. Then she will wake up screaming like full on inconsolable crying. Obviously as her twin is in the same room I have go in and scoop her up straight away so she doesn’t disturb her too much. She’s not unwell and nothing seems to be hurting her. It’s then taking a good hour to settle her and stop the crying. I try everything, nappy change, rocking chair, calpol, teething stuff, water, tv, eventually a small bottle of milk will stop the crying. Then it’s taking another 1-2 hours before she will fall back asleep, if I put her In the cot she screams and wakes up t1. She crawls around our bed so co sleeping isn’t even working. By the time she eventually falls asleep most nights I’m only getting 3/4 hrs before t1 wakes up for day (after sleeping solidly). So I am exhausted. The last 2 evenings mr dip dab has gotten so frustrated he’s put her in the car and driven up the m25 until she’s asleep.
We can’t keep going on like this. Has anyone been through similar? I’m at a loss
That sounds horrible for you.

What about going in and rousing her before the time this normally happens? So if she normally starts between 11 and midnight, maybe go in at 10.30 and see if you can kind of semi-wake her, but not wake her all the way just disturb her enough to kick her in to a new sleep cycle? I know a lot of people recommend doing that to help combat night waking and aid STTN. We used to do it for my eldest - my husband would just go in and give her a kiss, kind of tuck her in a bit, make a bit of noise. It may the push her over the boundary of her next sleep cycle and stop the screaming session.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
That sounds horrible for you.

What about going in and rousing her before the time this normally happens? So if she normally starts between 11 and midnight, maybe go in at 10.30 and see if you can kind of semi-wake her, but not wake her all the way just disturb her enough to kick her in to a new sleep cycle? I know a lot of people recommend doing that to help combat night waking and aid STTN. We used to do it for my eldest - my husband would just go in and give her a kiss, kind of tuck her in a bit, make a bit of noise. It may the push her over the boundary of her next sleep cycle and stop the screaming session.
Thank you I’ll give that a try tonight x

@Dipdab We went through the exact same with my eldest and it was horrendous, just did not stop screaming for like an hour and a half every night for no apparent reason. We tried waking him up (just a gentle stir, not sure how acceptable this will be for t2 🤣) just before he was about to wake up (if it’s at the same time every night) almost to disturb the sleep cycle a bit if that makes sense? That seemed to work for a bit xx

ETA just realise @Definitelyme has said the same! Seems like it’s a good trick.

Reactions: 3
@Dipdab We went through the exact same with my eldest and it was horrendous, just did not stop screaming for like an hour and a half every night for no apparent reason. We tried waking him up (just a gentle stir, not sure how acceptable this will be for t2 🤣) just before he was about to wake up (if it’s at the same time every night) almost to disturb the sleep cycle a bit if that makes sense? That seemed to work for a bit xx

ETA just realise @Definitelyme has said the same! Seems like it’s a good trick.
Thank you. How long did it last? Is it regression thing?
Yes it’s so hard when you have no idea where the crying is coming from and desperately trying not to disturb the rest of the house!

• Heart
I have absolutely no advice, but this is T2 too 🙃 is it a twin 2 thing?😅

• Haha
Thank you. How long did it last? Is it regression thing?
Yes it’s so hard when you have no idea where the crying is coming from and desperately trying not to disturb the rest of the house!
I think potentially a couple of months but it definitely faded out. It almost felt like he was having night terrors/wasn’t fully awake? Which based on his age (similar age to the twinbops) it probably wasn’t night terrors but that’s the only thing I could put it down to in the end. It must be a regression thing, did I see that t2 took her first steps the other day? You may find that it stops when she’s nailed that too. It is completely draining when they can’t be consoled though, especially in the middle of the night when the sound goes straight through your soul 😴

We had exactly the same with Everleigh. Obviously it's a bit easier for me as I don't have another baby for her to wake up in the same room.
But she went through this stage for about 4 months. It was awful. Sometimes she'd wake up at 1am and not go back to sleep.
I couldn't put her down, she'd scream, wouldn't lay down in her cot. She'd never lay down on the bed or anything either.
I had to sit in her room until she decided to maybe go back to sleep after hours of sitting there but then as soon as I move, she'd be awake again and start all over again.
I have no advice because we literally just had to survive on no sleep.
And it isn't easy at all!
On my partners days off, he'd deal with her and I'd leave him in bed in the mornings so at least I was getting 2 nights of sleep.
But the other nights I was doing the because he works nights.
I really feel for you because it was awful!
❤❤

• Heart
We’ve had similar for a little while, maybe a couple of weeks/a month? It was awful but it did eventually pass (which is absolutely no consolation now but there is hope!) xx

• Heart
Bit of advice needed re teen bean. I know this is babies, but you’re all so good at advice 😂

Not sure if I’ve mentioned it, but her dad wants to take her out of school for 2 weeks next year. Trip of a lifetime, aunty’s getting married etc… anyway, the school have said it will be unauthorised time off. I see this as an exceptional circumstance, they don’t. Anyway, question is, would you still take them? I have no problem her Going. My argument is that she’s had 2 years on and off being at school, why is 2 weeks any different? She has no exams, and they’ve brought the GCSEs forward a year, so they have 3 years to do it. I don’t think she will miss much?

Bit of advice needed re teen bean. I know this is babies, but you’re all so good at advice 😂

Not sure if I’ve mentioned it, but her dad wants to take her out of school for 2 weeks next year. Trip of a lifetime, aunty’s getting married etc… anyway, the school have said it will be unauthorised time off. I see this as an exceptional circumstance, they don’t. Anyway, question is, would you still take them? I have no problem her Going. My argument is that she’s had 2 years on and off being at school, why is 2 weeks any different? She has no exams, and they’ve brought the GCSEs forward a year, so they have 3 years to do it. I don’t think she will miss much?
I don’t have a teenager yet lol but tbh I would take her. Like you said it’s exceptional circumstances, provided her attendance is usually good and it won’t have a knock on effect on her exams and a studying then as a one off I would just do it and pay the fine.

• Heart
Reactions: 4

I personally would!

• Heart

I'd send her!

• Heart
Thanks girls @LilyRose1234 @WhatABore @I’mThankyou_ - I don’t think I’ll receive the fine, as it’s not me taking her (🤞🏼) but I can’t say no! The only thing that’s making me think they’re saying no is because she won’t be going back straight away after Easter 😂
She does have good attendance. She had a week in total off in primary school, and that was only because she had her adenoids taken out!

I had 2 weeks off in year 9 and went to Cuba for a family wedding. The history and cultures I learnt about the country is something I would never have learnt in school. My opinion will always be to take the holiday. I am a firm believer that you learn much more out of the classroom than you do in.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I had 2 weeks off in year 9 and went to Cuba for a family wedding. The history and cultures I learnt about the country is something I would never have learnt in school. My opinion will always be to take the holiday. I am a firm believer that you learn much more out of the classroom than you do in.
I could understand if it was a trip to Spain, but it’s a trip to Australia when her aunty lives. I hate that schools have so much say over our kids 😔

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.