New baby and post birth advice #34 Just press the tummy to turn it off

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is amazing 😂 What did he say??
He paused to count them all and just shook his head, wandered to the door with the pram still in hand and asked me if I wanted them bringing in 😏 so I’ve told him he can have a little haul whilst the 3 year old is at her dance class and I know he will just sit there through gritted teeth and pretend to give a shite 🤭

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Does anyone use a 3.5 tog sleeping bag for their little one? I’ve looked everywhere I can think of online but can’t find any decent ones for when it gets colder 🥶

Does anyone use a 3.5 tog sleeping bag for their little one? I’ve looked everywhere I can think of online but can’t find any decent ones for when it gets colder 🥶
I’ve just got a 2.5 tog but when it’s cold he’ll have a long sleeve vest and sleepsuit under and that should be enough. It’s the Ollie the owl sleeping bag from tommee tippee and it’s lovely warm material, I want one for me! 🤣

Reactions: 2
We go 2.5tog with long sleeved vests and pjs. But our room is the warmest room in the house so I don't worry too much about him being cold. If it is very very cold I do have some fleece pjs for him. But if he's cold he will let me know

Reactions: 1
Me and hubby have got covid. Of course the kids are full of beans and non stop and we are struggling so much 😔 I've never felt so poorly before its awfull

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
Is there even a 3.5 tog? Was feeling massively guilty last night, while we are in a 10 tog, arms covered, and the baby is in his 2.5 tog sleep bag, with arms out, too little for a blanket!? Not sure if he would suffocate? I swear it wasn’t like this with the others 😂

There's loads on amazon but they all look like a Christmas Turkey ready to be bunged in the oven 😭
I'd say layer babies clothes what's the average temp of your room?

I am having an internal battle so any advice is welcome.
Long story short - had every intention of ‘trying my best to breast feed’. Got no support when I worded it like that to a die hard breast feeder despite not wanting her opinion to begin with. Anyway. Baby born pretty traumatically 5 days ago. Milk didn’t come in until yesterday. I made efforts, (admittedly nothing hectic) to introduce him to the boob from the get go but each time I did he’d be hysterical. It breaks my heart as he’s so placid with absolutely every other aspect of his life. Feel we’ve both been through a lot and never forced him to do anything once he refused. He’s a big big baby and I absolutely love knowing that he’s been fed enough by bottle. I’m a numbers gal. I have been able to express enough today for each bottle and I’m quite content knowing how happy he is which in turn makes me happy. It’s a nice balance. Am I being completely unrealistic thinking I can sustain this or should I ride it out and really go hell for leather. My struggle is back to numbers. I want and need to know how much he has drank each time while also wanting to give him the best start.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Long story short - had every intention of ‘trying my best to breast feed’. Got no support when I worded it like that to a die hard breast feeder despite not wanting her opinion to begin with. Anyway. Baby born pretty traumatically 5 days ago. Milk didn’t come in until yesterday. I made efforts, (admittedly nothing hectic) to introduce him to the boob from the get go but each time I did he’d be hysterical. It breaks my heart as he’s so placid with absolutely every other aspect of his life. Feel we’ve both been through a lot and never forced him to do anything once he refused. He’s a big big baby and I absolutely love knowing that he’s been fed enough by bottle. I’m a numbers gal. I have been able to express enough today for each bottle and I’m quite content knowing how happy he is which in turn makes me happy. It’s a nice balance. Am I being completely unrealistic thinking I can sustain this or should I ride it out and really go hell for leather. My struggle is back to numbers. I want and need to know how much he has drank each time while also wanting to give him the best start.
My baby’s birth was traumatic and he was exclusively fed by expressed milk for 6 months. I kept trying breastfeeding and one day it just clicked. The SCBU nurses/HV were useless and told me if he didn’t manage in the first few weeks he never would - bollocks! 6 months it took him but he got there. Every baby is different and every mama has different needs. Do what you are comfortable with and duck anyone who tells you otherwise ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Honestly if you’re happier bottle feeding him then stick with it, it’s whatever works for you!

If you want to continue breastfeeding then as long as he’s having plenty of wet nappies that’s a sign he’s getting enough. There’s support out there if you need help - most areas have amazing breast feeding support workers and there’s a Facebook group with professionals who can help but at the end of the day fed really is best and if you’re both happier bottle feeding then there’s no harm in continuing that ❤

My baby’s birth was traumatic and he was exclusively fed by expressed milk for 6 months. I kept trying breastfeeding and one day it just clicked. The SCBU nurses/HV were useless and told me if he didn’t manage in the first few weeks he never would - bollocks! Every baby is different and every mama has different needs. Do what you are comfortable with and duck anyone who tells you otherwise ❤
@Nipslips I was coming along to say something like this but our lovely Lantern always articulates it so well!
So I'd just like to say all of this!
If you want to pump, pump! Make sure you've got a decent pump and correct flange sizes and you will sail through it!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
@Nipslips I was coming along to say something like this but our lovely Lantern always articulates it so well!
So I'd just like to say all of this!
If you want to pump, pump! Make sure you've got a decent pump and correct flange sizes and you will sail through it!
So I have what I’m told is a decent one. I can only assume it is, it’s what the hospital uses. How to determine correct flange size?

So I have what I’m told is a decent one. I can only assume it is, it’s what the hospital uses. How to determine correct flange size?
This should give you a rough guide x

• Heart
There's loads on amazon but they all look like a Christmas Turkey ready to be bunged in the oven 😭
I'd say layer babies clothes what's the average temp of your room?
Yeah the ones on Amazon don’t look the best! It was 15 this morning but that was at 6:30 so guessing colder overnight 😞 I don’t know why I didn’t think of trying long sleeved vests under his babygrow like some of the others mentioned so will try that, thanks ladies @Littleelf @DaisyDaisy87

@Chrisxo i wonder is this something you could try in the mean time? You could pump? I pumped day 0-3 and even then was only getting 3ml colostrum and just syringed it into his mouth. Then day 4 got milk.

Is there even a 3.5 tog? Was feeling massively guilty last night, while we are in a 10 tog, arms covered, and the baby is in his 2.5 tog sleep bag, with arms out, too little for a blanket!? Not sure if he would suffocate? I swear it wasn’t like this with the others 😂
There aren’t many which made me think do people even use these?! Omg I was the exact same last night, kept sticking my arms out and thinking it’s a bit chilly then felt mega guilty for being wrapped up all snug! Why are we like this haha?

• Haha
I don’t know if youve already looked at them, but Love to Dream have some 3.5tog ones. We use the 2.5tog ones which I like because the sleeping bags have arms on (otherwise I project my own feelings that my armswould get cold in the same situation!)

If you are getting good output and in no pain that’s also a good sign..

coming at this for the second time I knew how important it was to support supply while trying to breastfeed. And I am still pumping 2 months in while we work on breastfeeding. I’m also a numbers person and hey if it works it works!

get a good pumping bra so you can be hands free - it’s a game changer! Also not sure what the advice is in the UK re washing and sterilising but I wash and sterilise my pump parts once a day and then keep in the fridge until the next pump session. Saves so much time!

I struggled massively with breastfeeding, still do. We had horrendous advice early on and combi feed.
If I could have exclusively pumped I would have done, and plan to try if I have another. Unfortunately my supply is tit so not an option but if you're making enough for him and managing to give him the good stuff then go for it.
I'd suggest a good pump, I have the elvie stride which is much easier as its wearable but takes longer to express. I also keep a separate dish with hot soapy water to put the parts in when I'm done to wash quicker. The washing, drying and assembling is the biggest ball ache but if you get a good system you'll be grand.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.