New baby and post birth advice #34 Just press the tummy to turn it off

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Anyone’s newborn cluster feed? His 5 days old and has been having an ounce every single hour .. I’m a single parent and literally exhausted to the point of crying every day 😫 my 1st two babies weren’t anything like this
Mine did I don’t think it lasted long but felt like it did. An array of chocolate brownies got me through. Get yourself some delivered asap 💖 xx

I was literally thinking about you the other day! How are you doing?

Primark have quite a lot of outfits on but personally I’m addicted to vinted! There’s so many cute Christmas outfits on there for a few pounds you could get one for each day in December 👀🤣
We’re good thanks how are you doing?? Can you believe the babies are nearly one?! How did that happen! I was thinking before this time last year I was already thinking any day now and still had a month to go 😂

Ohhh what a good idea. I can’t be putting her in them in March And getting the wear out of them!

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Mine did I don’t think it lasted long but felt like it did. An array of chocolate brownies got me through. Get yourself some delivered asap 💖 xx

We’re good thanks how are you doing?? Can you believe the babies are nearly one?! How did that happen! I was thinking before this time last year I was already thinking any day now and still had a month to go 😂

Ohhh what a good idea. I can’t be putting her in them in March And getting the wear out of them!
Haha yes I remember us both going overdue, I think we were due on the same date weren’t we (28th Nov?) That wait when you’re overdue is like no other wait. I can’t believe they’re going to be 1 and classed as toddlers 🥺🤯

I’ve definitely booked a Santa visit even though he’s probably too young and may or may not dress him for the occasion in a matching Santa outfit I’ve already purchased from Vinted. I bloody love Christmas haha. It feels like it’s his first real one as he pretty much had his eyes closed for most of the last one! 🤣

I was literally thinking about you the other day! How are you doing?

Primark have quite a lot of outfits on but personally I’m addicted to vinted! There’s so many cute Christmas outfits on there for a few pounds you could get one for each day in December 👀🤣
The excuse I didn’t need to spend an evening on Vinted 🤦🏻‍♀️😂

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Hi guys hope you don’t mind me joining I’ve just had my baby yesterday today is our first night at home and I’m a wreck I’m terrified something will happen to him in his sleep I’m scared he’ll overheat or be too cold I have him in my next to me with a short vest babygrow swaddled in a cellular then a knitted blanket tucked on too unsure of my room temp, we’ve also been doing so well at breastfeeding but now we’re home it’s went downhill I can’t sleep I’m terrified can anyone help I’m aware there will have been 100’s of posts like this 💔

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Hi guys hope you don’t mind me joining I’ve just had my baby yesterday today is our first night at home and I’m a wreck I’m terrified something will happen to him in his sleep I’m scared he’ll overheat or be too cold I have him in my next to me with a short vest babygrow swaddled in a cellular then a knitted blanket tucked on too unsure of my room temp, we’ve also been doing so well at breastfeeding but now we’re home it’s went downhill I can’t sleep I’m terrified can anyone help I’m aware there will have been 100’s of posts like this 💔
Welcome 😊 I remember your posts from the pregnancy thread. I’m hope you’re doing ok. It’s normal to worry about basically everything but that will subside with time.

comgratulations ❤

Reactions: 3
First of all, welcome and congratulations ❤ The first night is always scary as you’re brand new to all of this and still in a bit of a whirlwind. The best way to check if your little one is ok temperature wise is to feel his chest and if it feels warm he’s ok, if he feels cold maybe pop a long bodysuit on and if he feels really hot maybe remove a layer. Well done for managing well with breastfeeding, I haven’t done it myself but there are lots of very experienced and wise breast feeding mamas on this thread who I’m sure will be able to guide you if you’re unsure about anything. Just take this first night minute by minute, take some deep breaths and try to get some rest ❤

It does get easier. It's a whole new thing for you both. Have a wee read up on the 4th trimester so you know what to expect. Remember your hormones will be all over the place which doesn't help the anxiousness but I promise it does get better. On the breastfeeding if you're struggling there's a helpline you can call that's specifically for Scotland, I never had to use them but heard they were helpful!

Congratulations, I’m terrible with advice but your anxieties are normal! Is there anyway you could buy one of those egg thermometers to help you with the room temp? It helped me a lot!
Cellular blankets are classed as 1 tog, folded over classed as 2 tog the Ewan the sheep company (something dreamers?) are super helpful with advice on tiktok. Keep checking his temp with the back of your hand on his chest or top of his back but I’m sure he’ll be fine it has gone so chilly today!

Why do you feel breastfeeding has gone downhill?x

Welcome😁
Everything you are feeling is totally normal, your hormones are all over the place which means your mind will be too!
Regarding his temp, your hand on his chest or back will give you a fairly accurate reading if he's too hot or cold. I personally have always preferred them to be a little bit cold just for peace of mine (obviously not so they are suffering)
As mentioned a cellular blanket folded is 2 togs and unfolded is one, I'd pop him in a longer baby grow & fold the blanket over twice give him 20mins see how his temp is doing.
Take it step by step, retrace your steps in your mind of being in hospital and try to take it moment by moment rather than looking at the picture as a whole. There's the breastfeeding helpline too if you are struggling xx

Reactions: 4
Congratulations, I’m terrible with advice but your anxieties are normal! Is there anyway you could buy one of those egg thermometers to help you with the room temp? It helped me a lot!
Cellular blankets are classed as 1 tog, folded over classed as 2 tog the Ewan the sheep company (something dreamers?) are super helpful with advice on tiktok. Keep checking his temp with the back of your hand on his chest or top of his back but I’m sure he’ll be fine it has gone so chilly today!

Why do you feel breastfeeding has gone downhill?x
I’m really unsure he hasn’t seemed interested in latching since we got home

Welcome😁
Everything you are feeling is totally normal, your hormones are all over the place which means your mind will be too!
Regarding his temp, your hand on his chest or back will give you a fairly accurate reading if he's too hot or cold. I personally have always preferred them to be a little bit cold just for peace of mine (obviously not so they are suffering)
As mentioned a cellular blanket folded is 2 togs and unfolded is one, I'd pop him in a longer baby grow & fold the blanket over twice give him 20mins see how his temp is doing.
Take it step by step, retrace your steps in your mind of being in hospital and try to take it moment by moment rather than looking at the picture as a whole. There's the breastfeeding helpline too if you are struggling xx
I’ve got him in a long sleeve babygrow and the blanket is doubled over he feels warm ish but not overly warm

It’s safer that he’s too cold. He will wake to tell you. He may get drowsy if too hot and they won’t wake to tell you

Your nipple to his nose and let him root a bit for the nipple. He should follow a pattern of suck suck suck swallow for a feed x

Attachments

Reactions: 2
It’s safer that he’s too cold. He will wake to tell you. He may get drowsy if too hot and they won’t wake to tell you

Your nipple to his nose and let him root a bit for the nipple. He should follow a pattern of suck suck suck swallow for a feed x
He was feeding like this but doesn’t seem bothered now… midwife’s in hospital told me to wake him every 3 hours to feed even if he didn’t want it tried this at home and it’s not working

He was feeding like this but doesn’t seem bothered now… midwife’s in hospital told me to wake him every 3 hours to feed even if he didn’t want it tried this at home and it’s not working
When was he born? Only because for the first 48 hours or so mine was really sleepy and if I woke her for a feed she wasn’t interested really but after about 48 hours she seemed to become more alert and much more interested!

Some babies aren’t bothered, they’d rather sleep but keep trying to wake him to get him a little more awake to feed. You may need to take his sleepsuit off to get him a little chilly to rouse him enough to try and feed

Congratulations! I felt the same way as you when I had my baby, I was terrified of bad things happening all the time and found it really hard to relax. It might not be helpful right now, but it does get easier. The first weeks are really tough so just do what you have to do to get through it. I ordered a second hand gro egg on Vinted so we knew the temperature of the room, and then I followed guides online about how to dress him. As for breastfeeding, I struggled when we left hospital, my midwife told me that at first the babies just have the instinct to feed, but after a few days that wears off and they have to relearn. I was close to giving up because he just wouldn’t latch, but then I was shown some new positions for feeding him and it just clicked, the koala hold was our favourite when he was a newborn (I’ll attach a pic). Their stomachs are tiny too at the beginning, so it might feel like they aren’t taking much milk. If you’re really struggling with the feeding, contact your midwife in the morning and ask to see someone, I was ready to go and buy formula after our first night at home but I saw a really helpful midwife and she gave me the reassurance I needed and some tips. Sending love ❤ I’m sure you’re doing better than you think, but please ask for help if you need it.
94C65A37-AC60-4C2C-AD28-D90A1405E0E5.png

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Congratulations! I felt the same way as you when I had my baby, I was terrified of bad things happening all the time and found it really hard to relax. It might not be helpful right now, but it does get easier. The first weeks are really tough so just do what you have to do to get through it. I ordered a second hand gro egg on Vinted so we knew the temperature of the room, and then I followed guides online about how to dress him. As for breastfeeding, I struggled when we left hospital, my midwife told me that at first the babies just have the instinct to feed, but after a few days that wears off and they have to relearn. I was close to giving up because he just wouldn’t latch, but then I was shown some new positions for feeding him and it just clicked, the koala hold was our favourite when he was a newborn (I’ll attach a pic). Their stomachs are tiny too at the beginning, so it might feel like they aren’t taking much milk. If you’re really struggling with the feeding, contact your midwife in the morning and ask to see someone, I was ready to go and buy formula after our first night at home but I saw a really helpful midwife and she gave me the reassurance I needed and some tips. Sending love ❤ I’m sure you’re doing better than you think, but please ask for help if you need it.View attachment 1705426
He last fed at 8:30-9 should I wake him to feed him?😞 thank you

• Heart
I tried to feed every 3ish hours at the beginning and would do a routine of nappy change to wake and then feed.
it’s all so scary and overwhelming at the beginning but I promise you’ve got this and it feels more ‘normal’ soon. ❤

@Chrisxo Congrats and welcome! Looks like everyone else has already given you sound advice but just to say you’re not alone.

I think I first posted on this thread on my first or second night home from hospital in the small hours freaking out I was doing something wrong as although baby had been quiet and calm in hospital, at home it was an entirely other matter!

This thread is full of supportive and lovely parents and even if a question has been asked hundreds of times before in loads of different ways then I’ve found people always still take the time to respond as if it’s only the first time it’s been asked. ❤

Congrats on your baby! My baby was also really sleepy and we struggled to wake enough to breastfeed in those first few days it’s perfectly normal. I also remember sleeping with the light on for about the first month as I was so terrified! But it sounds like you are doing everything right and the other ladies here have given some great advice too

Also want to add the second night is typically quite bad so not sure what night you are on but just prepare for an unsettled baby. And the hormones from day 3 or 4 it is totally normal to feel a bit down it is just your body adjusting. We are all here for any questions you have, you got this!

I’m really unsure he hasn’t seemed interested in latching since we got home

I’ve got him in a long sleeve babygrow and the blanket is doubled over he feels warm ish but not overly warm
As a couple of the others have said if you can wake him with a nappy change then feed it’s usually enough, tickling their feet a little can sometimes work to keep them awake to feed too. Give him a couple if days he’ll start cluster feeding and you’ll be thinking how do I get him off me for a break! I’m not sure of your area but if you have a breastfeeding helpline in your area give them a call they’re usually more knowledgeable than the midwives or health visitors x

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.