New baby and post birth advice #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
yeah, she said she covered one nostril with her mouth sucked the snot out and spat it then repeated until both sides were clear. Vile:sick:
That is absolutely HORRENDOUS. Wtf is wrong with people?! Even looking at my kids snotty noses makes me heave a bit!

Reactions: 2
Spoke to the HV, at first she was quite patronising and was like you need to try him on veg first and telling me about not giving him honey šŸ™„ I was like right ok...baring in mind Iā€™ve been doing it for 4 weeks now.
anyway she said leave it for a few weeks and start by gradually giving him 1/4 of a yolk mashed into potato and see how he gets on. No talk of referral, so weā€™ll see how it goes

• Wow
Reactions: 1
Spoke to the HV, at first she was quite patronising and was like you need to try him on veg first and telling me about not giving him honey šŸ™„ I was like right ok...baring in mind Iā€™ve been doing it for 4 weeks now.
anyway she said leave it for a few weeks and start by gradually giving him 1/4 of a yolk mashed into potato and see how he gets on. No talk of referral, so weā€™ll see how it goes
The idea of giving single fruit and veg for a long period of time is so outdated now, Iā€™m surprised she is still giving that advice out. I remember with my eldest going to her 6-9 month check up when she was almost 9 months and getting weaning info. I was like ā€œuh a bit late!ā€ They are shocking sometimes.

@lexle If you've not got saline and your breast feeding, breast milk does the same thing if you put some up their nose! Also I second the nose frieda its brilliant

The idea of giving single fruit and veg for a long period of time is so outdated now, Iā€™m surprised she is still giving that advice out. I remember with my eldest going to her 6-9 month check up when she was almost 9 months and getting weaning info. I was like ā€œuh a bit late!ā€ They are shocking sometimes.
Yeah I was quite shocked, she was like dont
Give him any fish or dairy yet. I was like... heā€™s having meals lol. She spoke to me like I didnā€™t know anything about weaning. My HV covers quite a large deprived area so maybe that could have something to do with it but she just spoke down to me. Started talking about pouches šŸ™„ (no hate on pouches btw, itā€™s just not something Iā€™ve done)

@lexle If you've not got saline and your breast feeding, breast milk does the same thing if you put some up their nose! Also I second the nose frieda its brilliant
Oh wow did not know that, I am breastfeeding so will try!

Thank you all for the tips, will give them a try šŸ˜Š

Yeah I was quite shocked, she was like dont
Give him any fish or dairy yet. I was like... heā€™s having meals lol. She spoke to me like I didnā€™t know anything about weaning. My HV covers quite a large deprived area so maybe that could have something to do with it but she just spoke down to me. Started talking about pouches šŸ™„ (no hate on pouches btw, itā€™s just not something Iā€™ve done)
Thatā€™s crazy! Pouches are so expensive as well, youā€™d think in a deprived area she would be doing the opposite! I do wonder sometimes if they have to deal with a lot of idiots, as they always seem to speak to you like you know nothing at all (although now Iā€™m on child 4 they do concede that I may know something every so often)

Thatā€™s crazy! Pouches are so expensive as well, youā€™d think in a deprived area she would be doing the opposite! I do wonder sometimes if they have to deal with a lot of idiots, as they always seem to speak to you like you know nothing at all (although now Iā€™m on child 4 they do concede that I may know something every so often)
My understanding is yes, they deal with idiots on a daily basis. She probably wouldnā€™t have been surprised if I told her I was giving him 3 happy meals a day

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I think there are a lot of idiots out there and I think midwives probably canā€™t be too careful. They must see some things and wonder about these people looking after newborns.

At my induction, in the bed opposite me there was a perfectly nice couple, mid twenties. She had come in for her induction and then asked what it actually was and asked all these questions. All the answers to her questions were in the leaflet you get given when you get booked in for an induction or she couldā€™ve googled if she had questions. But anyway, why was she agreeing to an induction and minutes away from having a pessary inserted before she thought to ask what the hell was happening?! She also didnā€™t bring her blood sugar checker cause she didnā€™t think sheā€™d need it and when she had low blood sugar they asked if she felt low and she said ā€˜what would that feel like?ā€™ I just wonder what sheā€™s like now with her baby. ā€˜How much has baby been eating?ā€™ ā€˜Oh I donā€™t know, how do I check that?ā€™ Just a real lack of curiosity and just wanted all info spoon fed to her. And thatā€™s probably why midwives tell you the most obvious tit sometimes cause some people really arenā€™t able to think for themselves.

(wow rant over lol)

Reactions: 8
I think there are a lot of idiots out there and I think midwives probably canā€™t be too careful. They must see some things and wonder about these people looking after newborns.

At my induction, in the bed opposite me there was a perfectly nice couple, mid twenties. She had come in for her induction and then asked what it actually was and asked all these questions. All the answers to her questions were in the leaflet you get given when you get booked in for an induction or she couldā€™ve googled if she had questions. But anyway, why was she agreeing to an induction and minutes away from having a pessary inserted before she thought to ask what the hell was happening?! She also didnā€™t bring her blood sugar checker cause she didnā€™t think sheā€™d need it and when she had low blood sugar they asked if she felt low and she said ā€˜what would that feel like?ā€™ I just wonder what sheā€™s like now with her baby. ā€˜How much has baby been eating?ā€™ ā€˜Oh I donā€™t know, how do I check that?ā€™ Just a real lack of curiosity and just wanted all info soon fed to her. And thatā€™s probably why midwives tell you the most obvious tit sometimes cause some people really arenā€™t able to think for themselves.

(wow rant over lol)
Yep I heard convos like this in hospital too. As awful as it sounds, if you rescue a dog you get questioned and checked out by the shelter.... but it seems anyone can have a child šŸ™ˆšŸ™ˆ quite sad really

Reactions: 8
Hi all, just looking for some advice re weaning and first time posting in this thread!!

So my daughter took really well to pretty much all fruit/veg purĆ©es at 6 months. Weā€™ve been trying her on more textured purĆ©e for the last 2 weeks (sheā€™s coming up to 7.5 months) but sheā€™s just having none of it! She will have a little bit of mashed banana mixed in with purĆ©e but thatā€™s literally it. Iā€™ve made up so many different foods now that end up getting thrown away šŸ˜© she also refuses to eat any other flavours that arenā€™t standard fruit or veg. I know itā€™s early days but itā€™s exhausting! Havenā€™t really done any BLW as it makes me too nervous but any advice welcomed ā˜ŗ or anyone else in the same position?

• Heart
Hi all, just looking for some advice re weaning and first time posting in this thread!!

So my daughter took really well to pretty much all fruit/veg purĆ©es at 6 months. Weā€™ve been trying her on more textured purĆ©e for the last 2 weeks (sheā€™s coming up to 7.5 months) but sheā€™s just having none of it! She will have a little bit of mashed banana mixed in with purĆ©e but thatā€™s literally it. Iā€™ve made up so many different foods now that end up getting thrown away šŸ˜© she also refuses to eat any other flavours that arenā€™t standard fruit or veg. I know itā€™s early days but itā€™s exhausting! Havenā€™t really done any BLW as it makes me too nervous but any advice welcomed ā˜ŗ or anyone else in the same position?
Keep at it šŸ˜Š Try and remember this is something sheā€™s never, ever done before, and just like every skill, it takes a while of practising to master it. As long as you continue to offer a wide range of foods (and textures) youā€™re doing perfectly. Donā€™t fall in to the trap of only offering things you know she will eat, continue to offer things even if she hasnā€™t liked it previously. I read often it can take up to 20 tries of a new food before a little one truly knows if they like it or not. If you are bulk making stuff for her freeze it in tiny portions, that way if she wants more you can easily heat it up, and if she doesnā€™t feel like having it that day you arenā€™t wasting loads. Try and eat at the same time so you model eating, as they learn so much from watching us.

Also, if you feel nervous about offering finger foods, is it the possibility of choking that is worrying you? If so, a paediatric first aid course may give you the knowledge to feel more at ease with moving forward with finger foods.

Keep at it šŸ˜Š Try and remember this is something sheā€™s never, ever done before, and just like every skill, it takes a while of practising to master it. As long as you continue to offer a wide range of foods (and textures) youā€™re doing perfectly. Donā€™t fall in to the trap of only offering things you know she will eat, continue to offer things even if she hasnā€™t liked it previously. I read often it can take up to 20 tries of a new food before a little one truly knows if they like it or not. If you are bulk making stuff for her freeze it in tiny portions, that way if she wants more you can easily heat it up, and if she doesnā€™t feel like having it that day you arenā€™t wasting loads. Try and eat at the same time so you model eating, as they learn so much from watching us.

Also, if you feel nervous about offering finger foods, is it the possibility of choking that is worrying you? If so, a paediatric first aid course may give you the knowledge to feel more at ease with moving forward with finger foods.
thanks for your reply!! Definitely will keep at it. Even though itā€™s not the case, itā€™s easy to feel like weā€™re falling behind when she was doing so well initially!
Yeah Iā€™m really fearful of the choking, I think itā€™s because she choked on her milk twice when she was younger (she literally went blue) and itā€™s really hard to shake that image. Iā€™m a nurse as well so I should probably feel more confident šŸ˜©

• Heart
thanks for your reply!! Definitely will keep at it. Even though itā€™s not the case, itā€™s easy to feel like weā€™re falling behind when she was doing so well initially!
Yeah Iā€™m really fearful of the choking, I think itā€™s because she choked on her milk twice when she was younger (she literally went blue) and itā€™s really hard to shake that image. Iā€™m a nurse as well so I should probably feel more confident šŸ˜©
Iā€™m not a health care worker, but I should imagine no matter what training you have, when itā€™s your own child all bets are off, training is out the window and panicked mum hat is securely on ā¤ No wonder you feel nervous, it sounds terrible what happened to her previously, very scary I imagine.
There is no falling behind with babies, please donā€™t think that at all. They all get there eventually, in their own time. And you know sometimes they go through stages with eating, theyā€™ll eat loads then nothing at all for a week, and repeat! Just be consistent, try and feel confident in your choices, and try not to worry too much x

• Heart
you definitely arenā€™t falling behind. If it makes you feel better, I BLW my first and my SIL used purĆ©es with my niece. They both barely eat anything unless itā€™s beige with barely any nutritional value now. My boy wakes up in the morning and the first thing he asks for is sweets. How they get into solid foods doesnā€™t matter at all, they all figure it out

Reactions: 5
Iā€™m not a health care worker, but I should imagine no matter what training you have, when itā€™s your own child all bets are off, training is out the window and panicked mum hat is securely on ā¤ No wonder you feel nervous, it sounds terrible what happened to her previously, very scary I imagine.
There is no falling behind with babies, please donā€™t think that at all. They all get there eventually, in their own time. And you know sometimes they go through stages with eating, theyā€™ll eat loads then nothing at all for a week, and repeat! Just be consistent, try and feel confident in your choices, and try not to worry too much x
Oh 100%, it all feels completely different when youā€™re at home šŸ˜” Thankyou so much for your lovely reply šŸ’•

• Heart

youā€™re doing so well.

When I weaned my first i used to spend hours making different food and doing purees and sheā€™d have one mouthful And it would go to waste, and it was not a great motivation and i think between 7-12 months i relied a lot on pouches as I hated wasting so much food.

i was also very cautious of blw due to being nervous and only really gave her finger foods around 9/10 months

she still really loved her milk so i stopped worrying as much, so many mums try to do everything by the book, and because they say they MUST have 3 meals etc by a certain age they had to stick to that, but to me was bullocks. Even when she was weaned off milk she still didnt eat much and now at 3 she eats well but that only happened in the last year or so, she was very fussy at a certain point and would only have beige food or would have 1-2 meals a day. one week sheā€™d eat loads then the following week she would have one mouthful at meal times.

I honestly hated the whole weaning and eating until recently.

i know its easier said than done but try to think of it as a fun experience and dont put too much pressure on yourself. Thatā€™s how I am going into it 2nd time around.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Has taken me 90 minutes to settle baby to sleep - she wasnā€™t crying but just smiled at me every time we made eye contact šŸ„ŗ Sheā€™s now asleep on me on the sofa and we need to move upstairs to our room. The fear is real šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.